Katrina Disaster in New Orleans

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Well, unfortunately it's universal that all sites have a bias, because all people have a bias, however slight it may be. All I can say about Snopes, since I can't vouch for anything it claims or opponents claim is that I generally don't trust second-hand accounts for matters like that and it'd be unfortunate if a site like Snopes was biased more than usual.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Maelstrom, has the red cross looked into busing people there? I realize that it would be quite a trip, but if they have enough volunteers from surrounding areas in California it probabally makes the most sense, particularily since flights are so dear.
Crappy thing is that even if you can't get out there till Christmas, there still will be a ton of things to do - I cannot fathom the amount of work that needs to be done and how long it is going to take to do it all.
Let us know when you do manage to get down,
Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Hoodie:

My apologies for not explaining about Snopes in better detail: I kind of take it for granted everyone around here knows about it. :oops:

Snopes.com is a site run by a few dedicated professional journalists. The aim is to research, debunk, or (rarely) verify various urban legends and rumors goung around. They also keep track of hoaxes going around through email (the ever-famous "Bill Gates will send you $$ for every copy of this email you forward" hoax comes to mind). Their website is very balanced, and not biased at all. It's so well run and objective that I tend to check it regularly to see if anything new has popped up. I always check it should I get some suspicious email about how Jesus is going to be portrayed as a homosexual in a new movie, how Sesame Street or Touched by an Angel is going to be cancelled by an act of congress, how Disney's Aladdin movie has a hidden admonition for young girls to remove clothing, or any other "here's a TRUE STORY! Spread it around!" email. (And those first three pieces are old, old falsehoods that were debunked years ago, but continue to circulate.)

If you ever have some time, I heartily endorse this site. But beware: it has so much good stuff in it that you can waste a whole week poring through it all.... :evil.

Paws,

I was also wondering about the whole "bus vs. airplanes" angle. I didn't ask about it at the training courses, because I had the feeling they must be asked this question constantly, and they had little enough time as it was to train us. From what I learned during the courses, I believe that they aren't chartering buses for one or more of these reasons:

1) As my group is based in California, it would take several days to get each of us down there and back. And as we can only commit to a couple of weeks each, this would seroiusly cut into our volunteer time.

2) They already have the connections for airlines, but none for buses, and it's taking time to ramp things up.

3) Too many washed out/hopelessly clogged roads in and out of the area.

4) Security concerns. It's a lot easier for a bus to overturn, break down, or be held up at gunpoint than it is for an airline. Our journey might take us near or through some still-lawless areas that the national guard/army/police haven't secured yet. Red Cross has stated over and over that running shelters is hazardous enough under the best circumstances, and they cannot send volunteers into harm's way. (Which is why they weren't anywhere near the Superdome or Convention Center when the worst happened in the first week after the clouds lifted. If they'd been allowed to set up those places as shelters ahead of time, you can bet things would have turned out very different indeed.)

BTW: Did anyone else catch Michael Brown pointing fingers and puffing his accomplishments before a congressional committee last week? Jeez, Mikey, you were SUPPOSED to bow down, say "it's all my fault, forgive me", and take the heat off the current administration who put you in there in the first place. That whole thing was conveined so you could fall on your sword and save face. Couldn't you even do THAT right? :smirk
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I know...the asinine posturing of politicians usually just annoys the crap out of me. But when they crow about "how good of a job they do" when #1 - they didn't do a good job of the part that they played in it and #2 - whatever got done was done at a grassroots level by hardworking people -it really roasts me.
But, oh well, that is their problem, not mine. Karma can go bite them in the butt.
Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Ha. I was laughing so hard at Michael Brown. God have mercy on his soul.

Thanks for the info on Snopes, I knew what it was, just not if it was biased in any way or not, thus I can't "vouch for" them.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Okay, everyone: I've finally been called up by the Red Cross. My flight leaves at 6am tomorrow. (Oh GOD, that means I have to be in Oakland International Airport at 4:30am at the latest! :X)

Long and short of it, I'm going to be gone until late October 28th. See everyone sometime around Halloween. :wave
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Well, we have some good news on our front. My brother in law arrived in town yesterday from New Orleans. He and the dogs and cat he brought with him are all hungry, tired, a bit traumatized, and generally somewhat the worse for wear, but at least, they're now safe and can begin finally recuperating from their experiences.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

*Hugs* well Angelique that's something to be thankful for, hope his recovery goes well

Mael, its November. How are ya? You OK?
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...