Should Nightcrawler carry a sword?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

But Kurt IS carrying a sword…sure, it’s inside his chest and (according to the preview pages of Nightcrawler #12) it's enhancing his ‘boyish’ good looks…but he’s still carrying it.
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
elfofdoom
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

soul sword

Post by elfofdoom »

yea but it's the soul sword not a saber are what ever who thinkis Sabu taught Kurt to use a sword?
D.croft
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Alkuperäinen postittaja elfofdoom
yea but it's the soul sword not a saber are what ever who thinkis Sabu taught Kurt to use a sword?
-____-;;; can someone translate?
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

He doesn't need to carry one around, and I present to you as proof X-Men Unlimited, volume 1, issue 49, page 10.

Guard #1: Amazing! He admits his cowardice so openly!
Guard #2: Well, it's obvious he's no warrior. What sort of man goes unarmed in public?
Nightcrawler: Oh, I can always get weapons when I need them. The types of people I deal with tend to have them in abundance. And they're always willing to lend theirs to me, if I ask nicely. See? Now I'm armed, just like the rest of you. Ready to show me some respect now?

That issue is full of good quotes and a very interesting, cartoony art style. There is one more good one that applies to fencing.

Nightcrawler: Long ago, my first fencing instructor warned me, "Never let scoundrels dictate the terms of honor to you. They'll always use it to manipulate good men into doing stupid things." Understand?
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Crocodile Hunter
Alkuperäinen postittaja elfofdoom
-____-;;; can someone translate?
I believe he's addressing the fact that he was talking about the Soul Sword in his original post, not a sabre, even though they're in the same family. He wants to know who thinks Sabu taught Kurt to use a sword.

And you don't need to be rude.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
elfofdoom
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Yea

Post by elfofdoom »

Sabu is Kurt acrobatic mentor I was thinking Sabu and Kurt were that close that Sabu would teach his student how to defend himslef. Come on who wouldn't want to potect Kurt he so cute. ;pant
D.croft
john117
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by john117 »

maybe he should and 2 fighting knives like legolas
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Post by StarChild »

Sword...always and forever a sword...a cutlass...a scimitar for those romantic Arabian nights...uh, KNIGHTS?...a two handed broadsword...you name it, bring it on, baby!!:love

Ah, yes...lover at heart and along comes the ultimate romantic! Fox hunt ala Nightcrawler
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

probably the best choice imo. (btw i mean the red one, wich is in front of the picture as black colored)
if any sword, why not a lightsaber? :P
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Post by StarChild »

Yeah, Crocodile Hunter, that looks just about right!! :engarde

Going to a fencing open house this Saturday! Going to start "foiling"-ahem!- around again after a long hiastus!!:D

Ah, yes...lover at heart and along comes the ultimate romantic! Fox hunt ala Nightcrawler
john117
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by john117 »

what about 2 scimitars like drizzt (if you dont know him then look him up he seams to have a lot in commen with kirt:)
Nachtteufel
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Nachtteufel »

Originally posted by idsunki
He doesn't need to carry one around, and I present to you as proof X-Men Unlimited, volume 1, issue 49, page 10.
Great issue that one. And you're right he doesn't need to carry around swords or weapons but I'd sure like to see him fencing more though.

Also carrying weapons around would suggest that he is expecting violence and ready to use it. I'd like to think NC isn't the kind of guy to go searching out violence & death,(unlike some other X-men I could mention). However ready he is to use when needed.

I don't think he should carry weapons that he isn't ready to use in full effect (as in killing). Using the environment to his benefit when necesssary would be more like NC.

[Edited on 14/7/06 by Nachtteufel]
"You know there's no street like home
To make you feel so all alone"
SLF: Gotta Gettaway
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by Nachtteufel
I don't think he should carry weapons that he isn't ready to use in full effect (as in killing). Using the environment to his benefit when necesssary would be more like NC.
Good point...they suited AoA Kurt because he WAS willing, ready and able to slash people to bits with them (and to teleport bits off them too, but we won't go into that here), whereas regular Marvel Universe Kurt, though able, sure ain't willing to go slicin' and dicin'...except as a last resort. Still he should be able to defend himself...and he'd look wicked cool...I get the impression that Storm left everyone a little parting gift when she went off to play trophy wife by the way Charles said "Ororo will be happy to see her gift to you, at least, is being put to good use" to Warpath in regards to his pair of big knives. The way the 'you' is stressed leads me to believe she used her royal expense account to lavish all her buds. Maybe she presented Kurt with a nice set of vibranium epees or something?

[Edited on 15-7-2006 by Nandireya]
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

I completely agree, Nachtteufel :)

I don't know which book it is, but there is a Nightcrawler quote where he says something to the effect that bringing weapons into battle can mean that they will be used against you. (I like Kurt better taking guns and swords away from whoever he's fighting rather than carrying (and using) either himself.)
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
pignut
Lubber
Lubber

Yes

Post by pignut »

Epee, rapier or sabre NOT katana or broadsword
-Pignut fencer and Nightcrawler fanatic (I thought I was the only one)
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I keep forgetting to jump on the bandwagon. He's at his best with a sword. Well, he's at his best wooing damsels, but the sword does lend a certain panache.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I can't remember if I posted in this five year old thread before, but I am currently into the no swords look. I like the idea of a guy who can take someone out with his bare hands. Also as someone said within the last two years, he's not going to USE them so why carry them?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I think he *can* use them, to great effect. You don't have to carve someone up to keep 'em at bay and/or on their toes.

But then I know nuttin' about swordfighting. Maybe it's a Freudian thing ... but I'm not really into Freud either.

My favourite scene is in the #2 of 4 from 1985 when he's fighting Shagreen using both hands and a tail. C'mon, is that fun or what?!

Maybe we should start another, related thread: 1,001 Non-Lethal Uses For A Blade (any type of sword, epee to scimitar) and brainstorm on how he could use them.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands. Not really - I'm stealing time from what I *should* be doing, so ...

Later.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I too can't remember if I ever put something in here, but I say yes to swords, and here's a good reason why:
Marvel Ultimate Alliance Cutsene
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Oh, yes, yes, the grandgirls and I *LOVE* to watch that snippet. I love the way he borrows the swords! Then speaks Freutsch.

Of course, after all that lightning warfare, he still ends up fried and, er, Doomed.

But swords ... yes! They make such a good whoop-whish sound, too. (Maybe not in real life, but Kurt ain't real life. Sorry to burst the bubble.) Lord help me, I should be too old to be a fangirl!

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Originally posted by Elfdame
But swords ... yes! They make such a good whoop-whish sound, too. (Maybe not in real life, but Kurt ain't real life. Sorry to burst the bubble.)
Actually, my sabre actually does kind of make that sound, particularly when I salute. Well, maybe more like a "fwip fwip."
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I will yield to your experience in terms of onomatopoeia. But fwip is a bit too close to ... you know. So, we'll just keep it as *undefinable sound effect not unlike webspinners*.

But thank you for the information.

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Elfdame
I think he *can* use them, to great effect. You don't have to carve someone up to keep 'em at bay and/or on their toes.

But then I know nuttin' about swordfighting. Maybe it's a Freudian thing ... but I'm not really into Freud either.

My favourite scene is in the #2 of 4 from 1985 when he's fighting Shagreen using both hands and a tail. C'mon, is that fun or what?!

Maybe we should start another, related thread: 1,001 Non-Lethal Uses For A Blade (any type of sword, epee to scimitar) and brainstorm on how he could use them.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands. Not really - I'm stealing time from what I *should* be doing, so ...

Later.
I guess I'm more into the shadow-y stuff, and less into the flash. I like a utilitarian style.

Nothing against swords, they are my own video game weapon of choice, it just seems silly to use them if you aren't actually killing things. It's like Wolverine and his claws, they work because he's a killer. It would be absurd if he was always knocking people out with the flat.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Ah, but knocking someone out with the flat is not the only non-lethal use of a sword, and even if it were, it's not lame. You just try keeping your cool enough when a throng of armed and dangerous enemies are threatening to shish kebab you to even get in a single touch. That being said, I have seen some lovely panels of Kurt relying on swords primarily as defensive weapons in some combination of fencing and hand-to-hand combat.

A sword works well with Kurt, even if it's a borrowed one, because unlike Wolverine's claws, healing factor, and berserker rages, real swordsmanship requires calm, clear-headedness and a knack for quick and effective strategy, not really a killer instinct.

And getting thwacked even with a dull rapier, even in full protective gear can be quite painful, if only temporarily. But in a martial art where so much depends on speed, you don't need to take someone out permanently to win anyway.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Originally posted by steyn
I too can't remember if I ever put something in here, but I say yes to swords, and here's a good reason why:
Marvel Ultimate Alliance Cutsene
Nice! Now that IS a good argument for swords.

I hadn't realized that Nightcrawler with a sword was spelled A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

-e