X-Force General Discussion Thread

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I LOVE HERCULES!

And look, I don't want it either, but maybe they're gonna take his brief, fleeting, awesome scenes from the movie to create a better backstory and retcon the one Chuck Austen dished out to us.

Kurt would want you to have faith, so have it.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

Now you're making me feel like Logan, with Kurt telling him to have faith and all.:*)
Sorry, bub, but faith ain't exactly my strong point.
Nevertheless, I haven't given up yet. I'm still happily writing Kurt/Logan slash stories, with more ideas coming to me all the time. As long as that keeps happening, I won't be losing interest in them.

As far as something in the movie influencing the comics, I don't know how likely that might be. If it got people interested in Azazel and Mystique having a baby, and the baby was Kurt, I can see how it could set the stage for him to be in a future movie sometime. Dunno what's being planned for future X-Men movies though.

I can't believe you liked HERCULES also! A lot of people thought it was just a silly show, but it had its deeper moments. So did XENA. (Yeah, I wrote Herc/Iolaus slash stories also. I've been doing this for a looonngg time.)
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

I've got to believe that Marvel actually cares about their heroes and what the fans think of them - because I really want to believe that they're going to take care of Nightcrawler. I want to think that people become comic book writers/artists/editors because they truly LOVE comics and LOVE to write them. Speaking from the experience of having tried to write and illustrate my own fan comic, it's far too difficult to be something you "just do." While I think it is definitely still a business, it's a business in the same way being a freelance visual artist is a business.

And actually, comic book movies can have a PROFOUND influence on the comics. Batman has a history of making art and writing changes to fit what movie and TV show viewers liked.

And yeah, I'm kinda hoping his return retcons the Demon Daddy too.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

So has anyone else seen the movie? It's much better than I had feared it might be and I do recommend it. It's very good at showing the main ideological conflict between Prof. Xavier and Magneto. They both have some really good lines.

There was no hint at all that Mystique might have been Kurt's mother, much less Azazel being his father, which is just as well, IMO. Azazel wasn't anything except one of the bad guys. However, he looked like a red version of Kurt, didn't say much, and fought the same way Kurt did in that sequence at the White House, except he carries vicious swords and kills people, instead of just knocking them around.

The special effects were good, but didn't overwhelm the movie and were used to illustrate the ethical conflict beautifully in the confrontation between the US and Russian ships.

I hope I didn't say anything that would be considered a spoiler, since I tried to be vague, rather than going into details, for the sake of those who haven't seen it. I mostly wanted to encourage others to go see it for themselves. It's well worth it.

Has anyone else read Uncanny X-Force yet, with the AoA Kurt? I liked it, but then, all it takes for me to like something is for some version of Kurt to be in it. There appear to be 2 or 3 more stories in this story arc, so I hope he has as big a part in the rest of them as he had in the first.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Yeah...I saw it today...it was far better than I expected when I first heard it was being made.

Do you guys remember how I said I'd kind of like Kurt to come back as an out-of-his-mind bad guy? Something like movie Azazel would do nicely :)
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

In regards to having Kurt come back as an out-of-his-mind bad guy, I'll gladly take the AoA version that appeared in UX-F 11. He was rather nice, considering.

Since there's already an NC Forum for discussing X-movies, why don't we try to talk about it there, instead of here, in order not to have to repeat ourselves?
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

He was good in X-Force, then?

I shall...when I get home from work and on my PC. Walls of text and characters used to mark the coming of spoilers are, though not impossible, quite cumbersome on an iPad...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

I second the vote for AoA Kurt. I think Remender captured him well in that first issue.
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

Nandireya,
Yes, he was essentially pretty good, considering who he is. Despite starting out suspicious of X-Force, he came around to listening to them and beginning to trust them, rather then being a bloodthirsty killer. I think you'll like him.
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

For anyone who hasn't yet seen X-Force 11, I scanned in all the pages that had Kurt in them. (I didn't scan pages without Kurt, so expect there to be gaps in the action in a few places.) Links to each page can be found by going to this page of the CBR Wolverine/Nightcrawler Forum: http://forums.comicbookresources.com/sh ... 65&page=60

Look for my post down near the bottom of the page.

[Edited on 12/6/11 by Karl]
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Thanks, Karl ! And, just like that, I'm back at buying a Marvel title. ^^
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

Uncanny X-Force 12 is due out this Wednesday, so we'll find out if Kurt continues to play much of a part in this story arc.
Much to my delight, a comic store just opened in my town. Not only that, but I won a $25 gift certificate in their opening lottery.:)
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

*sigh* ... Guess I'm reading Uncanny X-Force now.... :/

LOL!
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

Uncanny X-force has been quite good, IMO. They have tackled some difficult moral/ethical issues in some of the stories, rather than just having violence for the sake of violence. I went back and bought the ones that I had missed and wasn't disappointed in the least.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

That was how I viewed "X-Force" by Yost. I read the first 3 issues of "Uncanny X-Force" and immediately stopped. I hate Deadpool and I hate Fantomex even more. It's redundant, it's like having two characters who are the exact same. Again, IMO.
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

I don't care for Fantomex. At least Deadpool has some interesting smartass remarks at times. Since I like Wolverine, I mostly focus on him. It's odd to see him *not* being the baddest of the bad much of the time.
I buy Uncanny X-Force by the issue, not by subscription. If it wanders away from what I find interesting, I'll stop buying it. But right now I want to see what, if anything, it does with Kurt.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Amen to that, bub. ;)
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I am BAFFLED at how you could think Fantomex and Deadpool are anything alike. I mean, seriously, they couldn't be more different, personality wise. Fantomex has an arrogance to him, he's refined, and values expensive, quality living. His quips are more intelligent and dryly sarcastic than Deadpool's who largely spouts random punny jokes.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

To me it's just another weird dude in a mask making out-of-the-box quips and killing people.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:To me it's just another weird dude in a mask making out-of-the-box quips and killing people.
Yes, on the surface. But literature in it's nature often asks that we look a bit deeper, and Uncanny Xforce has provided many differences to the characters. For instance, Fantomex is WAY more badass than Deadpool. He shot baby-poccy in the head.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

Ditto to that. Well, I'm not sure I would agree that Fantomex is more badass, just because I have a personal distaste for the dude - probably not hard to guess why. Nah, Fantomex is just more hardcore and less crazy, which is what makes him scary.

But yeah, did you see Fantomex peeling off parts of his own arm to forcefeed Warren? I would have paid to see the reaction there. Fantomex would just have choked Warren, the darn loverat that he is.
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

But yeah, did you see Fantomex peeling off parts of his own arm to forcefeed Warren? I would have paid to see the reaction there. Fantomex would just have choked Warren, the darn loverat that he is.
And the pop rocks! But, yeah, totally remember reading that bit. I know I made some sort of noise and had to wait for a stoplight to show Matt, who was driving, or something.

I also can't say I'm a huge fan of Fantomex either, but I did enjoy how he just came in and killed Poccy while everyone else was busy arguing. He's also shifty. :shifty But, yeah... That story arc was my favorite from the series, though the current one may be taking its place.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

littlebamf wrote:Ditto to that. Well, I'm not sure I would agree that Fantomex is more badass, just because I have a personal distaste for the dude - probably not hard to guess why. Nah, Fantomex is just more hardcore and less crazy, which is what makes him scary.

Now I'm not 100% sure, but didn't or isn't he after Betsy? Is THAT why? Don't want anything coming between your Bets/Warren OTP? :P

(If so, I do commiserate. Juggernaut? PLZ)
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

Yeah, he's after Betsy. Got a piece of her too, just a lil one, but then she got a lil piece of him too (a good punch to the mouth).

Honestly I've just never been that keen on Fantomex, right from when he originally appeared back in New X-men when they were in Paris. But yeah, really, he needs to keep his oily hands off what he can't afford. *grumble*

Oh, Juggy...Pain well shared Nacht. Though really Betsy has also had to suffer Thunderbird III and Sabretooth from AoA. It's just neverending. *sob*
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

The Psylocke / Fantomex ...issue...was handled very well, I think. They're both broken people and unsure of what they do and don't want. Fantomex is also a master at mindgames, manipulation, and reading people, even when not using his powers. Calling her out on her co-dependency was a total dick move on his part, but Fantomex isn't a boyscout.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.