Sad news (About my cat)

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by LadyErin »

Dear 'Scrawlers,

Many of you have become my friends. I posted, a while back, about my cat Wisk. She died today. I posted this in my lj, but's it's friends locked. And Honestly, you too are my friends. So I'm putting a copy here, as well.

Today, a little before four o'clock this afternoon, my cat, formally Wiskers, commonly Wisk, died.

She went peacefully, my sister and I having made the humane choice to have her put down after watching her slide ever more downwards. Wisk and I have been saying our good-byes for a little while.

She was ready. So was I. Sis just had to get ready, and say her good-byes.

She left this world today, held by the two of us, with her family.

I won't say it didn't hurt. I've never had to put a pet down before. We got her when I was four. Sis was about seven months old. She doesn't remember a life without Wick. I can, a little. It hurt. I cried. Grief, loss, is never easy. And yet. She is at peace. No longer in pain. Gone to where her spirit can be free. Carried of in the arms of what ever guardian handles the spirits of cats. I like to think something Egyptian. But I don't know.

It hurts. Yet I am relieved. She has compeletd this Earthly journey and her next has began.

I love her. I always will. I loved her enough to let her go.

Go on Wisk. Safe journey. I love you. I miss you. In both, I always will.

But thank you, for all that you taught me. Thank you for your love. For choosing my family.

Journey well old girl. Know you are loved.
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I'm sorry to hear about your cat.. I know it's really difficult to lose your first pet, but at least she won't have to suffer any further
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by LadyErin »

Originally posted by Blue_Demon94
I'm sorry to hear about your cat.. I know it's really difficult to lose your first pet, but at least she won't have to suffer any further
Thank you.
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by chicory »

So sorry about the Kitty :cry Losing pets, especially ones that have been a part of your life for as long as you can remember, is *so* hard. But, at least you have lots of memories of your Wisk that you share with your sister. And it's good you got the chance to say good-bye.
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Oh honey, letting them go is one of the hardest decisions to ever make. You sit there wondering when is the right time, and they look at you that way - and your heart just breaks.

Know that you did the right thing for her. Always. She died loving you, and glad, I am sure, that she didn't have to continue the rest of this life in pain. It is now you, and those that loved her, that will unfortunately have the most pain to bear.

Be good to yourself. Allow yourself to grieve. You are mourning the temporary loss of a kind shining spirit, and I think that you will have the chance to see her again one day. I know I certainly am not going to a heaven that has a "no pets" rule. Do not allow people to dismiss your grief.

Hugs, and my condolences.
Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by kladyelf »

*hugs for LadyErin*

I know that it cannot be easy to lose your friend, but you had her (i presume) all her life and loved her, and that is important, yeah let yourself grieve because your cat was your companion, and it is a wonderful blessing to have a creature that will love you unconditionally.... and pester you for feeding ... ;)
From one cat-owned-human to another, you have my condolences dear, and i'm glad that you have people (online and off) that you can turn to

[Edited on 4-4-2006 by kladyelf]
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by Saint Kurt »

Last year, as part of my class on animal euthanasia I worked for this animal loss helpline:

http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/CARE/

We got a lot of calls when I was working. Letting one's beloved animal companions go is surprisingly difficult and it seems that there's no socially acceptable response like there is with human loss. Most often the calls were from people who were confused by their feelings - "it was just a dog, why do I miss her so much?"

The website has the phone number, but even if you don't want to call, there is some interesting and helpful reading there for you and your sister.

I lost two old animals in the same year, about 5 months apart. One was euthanized and the other died suddenly. The grieving process was different for each one. With Rufus (who was euthanized), there was a kind of relief and feeling of closure. It took a lot longer to come to terms with the death of my dog, who died in a vet ER.

I think this is the core of why I want to be a vet though. People love their pets so deeply and it's wonderful. Animals so often bring out the best in people. I think that's what makes it so hard to say goodbye.

-e
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by Angelique »

Erin, I'm taking you out for a virtual drink, so we can toast the memory of the late, great Wisk. :beer :cry
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by Slarti »

My condolences for your kitty.
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by littlebamf »

I'm sorry to hear about that. I remember when my dog was put down and I cried for about three hours almost non stop and it took me a while to get over it. Pets are family members, almost, if not just as important as our human friends and family.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by LadyErin »

The week...has been rough. Sorry it's takn me so long to get back to you.

Chicory

Thank you. My sister and I have had less moments of brusting into tears as the week has gone on. I know I came home, called a friend and cried to her until I fell asleep.

Paws

I know she knew that it was about over...not attempting to kill us in the car for example...she just climbed onto my sister's lap and looked around. She hated cars.

I know she's at peace. And I'm glad. I had the task of cleaning out her bowl, tossing the litter, etc...and that, while hard, was peaceful. I brought her home, you see...gave her food and water first, made her bed, put down litter...it somehow seemed fitting that I should be the one to handle that.

*hugs*

Klady

*hugs*
Yes, I had her from the time she was almost eight weeks old. She was more than a companion...almost another sister...and nanny...and nursemaid...When I was younger (think 8 though 11) and used to get mirgianes so bad that I couldn't blink without thinking I was going to pass out, she used to sit at my head and lick my temple - about the only contact I could manage without screaming.

Em

Thank you for the link. I think you may be right...Wisk, as I mentioned above, was not 'like part of the family' but 'part of the family'. Even now...I'll walk by where she used to sleep and startle, like I expect her to be there.

It was far from sudden, and yet...it seems sudden.

Angelique

:beer Thanks Ang.

Slarti

Thank you.

LittleBamf

They are. Truly. I ended up crying so hard that I had a massive headache. I still get choked up. Probably will for a while.
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by thylacine »

Putting a pet to sleep is the hardest thing to do... I've been there, and more than once. It's tough. Don't feel guilty if you get a new cat, because there are so many unwanted kittens needing a good home. Getting a new cat will make you feel better. It usually does.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by LadyErin »

Originally posted by thylacine
Putting a pet to sleep is the hardest thing to do... I've been there, and more than once. It's tough. Don't feel guilty if you get a new cat, because there are so many unwanted kittens needing a good home. Getting a new cat will make you feel better. It usually does.
Thanks.

I do want to get another cat...possibly two, since I'm home less than I used to be. I'm waiting however, until my sister is ready...it would be cruel of me to bring one home before she could deal with it.
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by thylacine »

The shelters are full of kittens who need good homes.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Sad news (About my cat)

Post by LadyErin »

Originally posted by thylacine
The shelters are full of kittens who need good homes.
Indeed! The shelter is were Wisk came from.