Irene blew

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Irene blew

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I'm a born and bred New Yorker, and this past week has been pretty epic in terms of weather and Earth. We had an earthquake, followed a few days later by the strongest hurricane we've seen in 26 years. So, yeah, some religious nuts are calling it a sign from God, all I know is I got wet.

Were you effected by Irene? A tornado touched down in my neighborhood and took out a ton of trees. You literally could not leave my block because every street was blocked by a tree. We were out power for 3 days (It's back now, hallelujah!) and we lost a bunch of frozen sale meats. But a bunch of places got it way worse. It was a crazy time, and it's scary because NY is not equipped to handle these things. All I could think as the storm grew and headed our way, and as the media made it out to be WAY bigger than it was, was that our city couldn't handle it. And to have to deal with massive destruction on the eve of the 10th anniversary of the worst day in our history - it was not what I wanted to think about.

But that said, it was a damn pussy cat. Places are flooded and lots of people still don't have power, but I'm thankful it wasn't what everyone was making it out to be. Were you in Irene's path?

Here's some pics, ps:

One reason the power was out.

Not sure if it's clear how MASSIVE this tree actually is. It's enormous.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Irene blew

Post by Elwing »

Thank goodness you're ok. Looks like there was some major damage there. You really don't want to think about what could happen when a full force hurricane hits! Let's hope it does not happen in our life time.
The funny thing is, by the way- we're supposed to be affected by Irene here in western Europe by the end of this week. It's supposed to actually *improve* the weather here. High pressure area ahead...Does not make sense to me, but that is what I have been told!
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Irene blew

Post by Angelique »

I've got family and friends up and down the east coast. Everyone of them is alive and accounted for, so far, even though the flooding is getting worse in some places.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Irene blew

Post by littlebamf »

I have a friend in Connecticut who ended up with a 90ft tree in her back yard after Irene and another friend in West Virginia who is still without power. The pictures I've seen online, from friends and the news are bloody crazy though. Hopefully everywhere gets cleared up as quickly as posisble and there aren't any more big storms this year.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Irene blew

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

littlebamf wrote:I have a friend in Connecticut who ended up with a 90ft tree in her back yard after Irene and another friend in West Virginia who is still without power. The pictures I've seen online, from friends and the news are bloody crazy though. Hopefully everywhere gets cleared up as quickly as posisble and there aren't any more big storms this year.
And just like that, apparently there's another storm headed our way. Little does Katia know, us NYers are gonna throw stuff at her from our bridges, like at the Green Goblin in the first Spiderman. BRING IT KATIA!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€