Forget the Critics: X3 was a smash hit

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

According to the Associated Press, X-Men: The Last Stand took in $120.1 million last weekend, the biggest Memorial Day weekend opening ever.

Not only that, but its premiere took in the second-biggest one-day gross next to Star Wars: Episode III. You'll hear a lot of negative reviews (especially if you hang around comic purists) but the mainstream movie-watcher loves it, apparently!

Good for the director and producers; I think everyone can say it wasn't as good as it could have been, but I think it was a fitting end for the series. I look forward to the spinoffs.

Sources: Associated Press (via the Toronto Sun)

[Edited on 30/5/2006 by HoodedMan]
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BAMFCentral »

hmm... a sequel that makes over 100. Wont be the end, yeah I know they have spin offs coming, but they will try to milk the X-men franchise yet again. The money is just hitting them in the face not too.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Not only that, but its premiere took in the second-biggest one-day gross next to Star Wars: Episode III. You'll hear a lot of negative reviews (especially if you hang around comic purists) but the mainstream movie-watcher loves it, apparently!
And that is the problem with those that go into the theatre thinking it should be exactly like the comics. It simply isn't. I love the X-Men and I read the comics but I don't get angry at the fact that they have moved away from the comics to create these movies. The names, and for the most part the powers, are the same.

If you go into the theatre expecting a good time you will. And that is the attitude everyone should go into a theatre with.

I'm planning to see it again! :dance:

[Edited on 5-31-2006 by Northstars Love]
Chlorine
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Chlorine »

I haven't read the comics and I still didn't like X3...But that's just me, so :P
SamKarns
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by SamKarns »

I loved X3, thought it was the best one yet. I will admit I didn't like Bryan Singer's take on X-Men but I'm looking forward to more films. Maybe Fox may re-boot the films and present Psyclops a little better.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

It’ll be interesting to see if it maintains its momentum…most blockbuster movies make their real money on repeat viewings (I saw X2 four times…X-Men I saw once, and I didn’t pay for it, won a free pass a did…and as we probably all know, I’m yet to see X3)…
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

From what I hear (I have a friend who works at a movie theatre), X3 is getting a lot of repeat viewings, and not only from X-Men fans. But of course, X-Men fans are the majority. What do you expect? :P
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Singe
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Singe »

Purity isn't my thing- what's the point in sticking to something you've already seen before? Reinterpretation is what makes the movies interesting. I still deplored it. Biggie of course being the screenplay- so inconsistent, such bad writing. But the fact that Ratner is such an inferior director doesn't help much either. Woe, he's an alumni of my school. :(
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

I've also heard that it's getting repeat viewings.
I think that over the years I have learned that everyone has there own tastes in movies and it's usually completely pointless to listen to anyones reviews about it. I haven't seen it yet, so I wanna go soon. The night it came out I couldn't go because I had been up for over 36 hours in Disneyland for Grad nite and would have fallen asleep during the film (as it was, there were students from 106 different schools passed out from exhaustion on main street), and now I have to cram for finals and prep for graduation. *exasperated* Hopefully by the time I have a window to got to the movies, it won't have already left the theatres. :X

I hope it's good, if not, oh well, there are many more movies that can make up for it.
one name: Bruce Campbell
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I was hoping to see the movie at least three times in the opening weekend, but only saw it once.. I was pretty disappointed by the lack of characterization in the movie, but now that I think of it, did we really know that much in the first two? Does any non-xfan know who Toad or Sabretooth really were or anything about them? What about Lady Deathstrike? So I'm not really that disappointed anymore and want to see it again in order to get my geek fix, but I still wish Colossus would've had more to do and say in the movie..
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Sorry to double post, but :o..

ComingSoon.net reports that X-Men: The Last Stand was taken down by Universal's romantic comedy "The Break-Up":

Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston took down the mutants in a weekend that was expected to see a second straight box office win for 20th Century Fox's X-Men: The Last Stand.

Universal Pictures romantic comedy The Break-Up surprised the industry with an impressive $38.1 million from 3,070 theaters in its first weekend. The Vaughn and Aniston-starrer averaged a strong $12,395 per theater and cost about $52 million to make.

Fox's X-Men: The Last Stand took a huge dive of 66.6% in its second weekend after setting the new Memorial Day weekend record last week. The third installment added $34.4 million and has collected $175.7 million so far domestically.

I'm calling all fans to go see X-Men again, in hopes that Vaugniston(:LOL) is vanquished at the box office!
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

I saw that too, but some are expecting that X3 will have gotten more viewings over the weekend; we'll see if it regained momentum when Monday's figures come out.

And who knows what'll happen when Cars comes out. It's the year of over-promoted movies. But I expect X3 to at least hold its own, if not at the top. It already had record success.
Singe
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

sorry...

Post by Singe »

Originally posted by Blue_Demon94
Sorry to double post, but :o..

ComingSoon.net reports that X-Men: The Last Stand was taken down by Universal's romantic comedy "The Break-Up":

Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston took down the mutants in a weekend that was expected to see a second straight box office win for 20th Century Fox's X-Men: The Last Stand.

Universal Pictures romantic comedy The Break-Up surprised the industry with an impressive $38.1 million from 3,070 theaters in its first weekend. The Vaughn and Aniston-starrer averaged a strong $12,395 per theater and cost about $52 million to make.

Fox's X-Men: The Last Stand took a huge dive of 66.6% in its second weekend after setting the new Memorial Day weekend record last week. The third installment added $34.4 million and has collected $175.7 million so far domestically.
That made my Schadenfreude go :D. Eat it Fox.
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BAMFCentral »

I'm calling all fans to go see X-Men again, in hopes that Vaugniston(:LOL) is vanquished at the box office!

Ooh really. I like Vincy ever since dodge the ball. SO

UP WITH VAUGNISTON DOWN WITH X3 :P
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Not planning to see either one...but then, I rarely manage to get to see the movies I DO want to see...but there’s no way I’m missung the return of Captain Jack Sparrow… :sparrow ...won't see it opening day (stupid work)...probably won't get there until the Sunday, seeing as Sundays are my only days off...when I also have to clean the house, do the washing and take care of all that piddling crap...maybe that's why I never get to see any movies...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

In fact, X3 was such a smash that our good friends at Landover Baptist Church decided to have a go at it! They even penned this catchy little number for their X-Men comic book burning:

When Jesus takes His last stand
On their butts, all X-Men land
Wolverine, that hairy queen,
Will squeal his last high-pitched scream
As Jesus turns Storm's cartoon bust
Into a giant pile of Holy Eraser dust!

Jesus is the X-Factor
He is the eternal life reactor
There are no X-Men
Never will I read a comic book again
In Jesus' name A-men.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

... and those kind of people give religious people a bad name. "I don't mind God, it's his fan club I can't stand," and so on. Idiots.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

I like the very fact that they decided not to burn X-Men #1 (1963) and went on Ebay to sell it to the unsaved.

Isn't this enabling those unsaved full of sin to commit sin? :LOL
x___bamf!
Lubber
Lubber

Post by x___bamf! »

I thought X3 was great.
But I also noticed that there really wasn't very much character development, some parts were a little rushed, and Nightcrawler wasn't in/mensioned it at all. But that's all the complaints I have. :LOL
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Slarti and Northstar, something about that whole site tells me the book-burning is a hoax.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

That whole thing sounds like a joke.. especially the whole thing about forty year old men crying in their mother's basement :rolleyes
Singe
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Singe »

Originally posted by HoodedMan
... and those kind of people give religious people a bad name. "I don't mind God, it's his fan club I can't stand," and so on. Idiots.
Um, Landover Baptist is a parody website, folks.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Originally posted by Singe
Originally posted by HoodedMan
Um, Landover Baptist is a parody website, folks.
Yup, it is. And I find it a damn funny one too sometimes.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Ah. Well, I didn't look at the site, I just read what Slarti said and wasn't surprised. :P
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

On the other hand, I would have been surprised if it was true.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven