mysteries of the natural world (cryptozoology, new species,

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

This is now VERY old in news and scientific terms, but I thought it was awesome:

http://www.livescience.com/technology/0 ... y_arm.html
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Male Calicos?

Post by chicory »

We learned in bio about how only female cats are tri-colored calicos because the color determining factor is in the X chromosome and they (of course) are XX. So, white is absence of pigment and depending on which X is activated per cell the female cat will show different colors.

But, when I was at work the other day on of the visiting vets showed me something she said I would probably never see again, a male calico! She'd just neutered him, so she was sure that he was a normal male, but when I asked her how that was, she didn't know!

This may not actually be weird science, but I thought it was kind of different.

[Edited on 26/2/06 by chicory]
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

mysteries of the natural world (cryptozoology, new species, weird science)

Post by thylacine »

I heard that only 30% of calicos are male, and that calicos also have mood swings (so says the vet). I have three cats, all female, one tabby, one blue, one calico. Two have angelic personalities, and the 3rd (calico) purrs one minute then scratches the next.

Anyway... for those interested in cryptozoology, there will be opening a bigfoot museum in Maine, run by Loren Coleman.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

calicos and torts (tortishell) who are male are actually XXY cats - so while some have testicals they are usually sterile due to the extra up chromosome.

I have seen one possibly tortie male in all my years, and it had ambigious genitalia.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

OMG! I guessed something like that with the XXY chromosomes! I didn't know I was right :)

The vet said the genitalia was normal - how strange :ooh:
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by thylacine »

Cats are strange anyway!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4785482.stm

not just a new species, a whole new taxonomic family. incredibly bizarre crabish critter that lives around volcanic hydrothermic vents.

[Edited on 8/3/06 by Bamfette]
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by thylacine »

Wow... now that is wild. New species are being discovered all the time.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

reviving this thread again after seeing a show on TV about a crocodile that is 6 meters long, one ton in weight and has killed THREE HUNDRED people... i went looking for a news article about it, and found this, a few years old... but the same croc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2520815.stm

amazing. he's enormous. on TV, you should ahve seen the cage they built to hold this monster, it was insane. they showed him hunting adult HIPPOS! it doesn't say in the article, but on the show they estimate his age between 60 and nearly 100 years. they say the size points closer to 100, but he has a full set of teet which indicates he is younger. in any case, he's a survivor, has survived being shot by machine guns, stabbed with spears, he just killed his attackers... however at the end of the show they say that after they failed to capture him (and he busted up the cage) there have been no sightings of Gustave, and no reports of attacks on people. he may have injured himself while busting up the cage and died of his injuries, or finally fallen prey to poachers.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Wow. That...wow, he's something.

I hope he just learned to stay *far* away from people and is alive somewhere.
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

why the hell does it need to remain free if it kills people. If you can afford to build a bloody cage you can afford to get a elephant rifle and shoot it.
"yeah well we will let it rampage there while we try to make another strategic plan"
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

It's killing people because people are in his territory. If it gets away from people and lives somewhere else, let him alone. If he can be captured and live in a nice big safe enclosure in a zoo? That's cool too.
*shrug*
We don't own the planet and we aren't the top of the food chain.

Edited because spelling correctly and my brain don't get along.

[Edited on 22-4-2006 by LadyErin]
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
mightiest_mortal
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by mightiest_mortal »

hey, if people are interested in Cryptozoology here, you should take a look at this educational material ive been making on it...

http://www.digital-titan.co.uk/xav/cryptozoology.html

Its only very basic. What does anyone think?
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by thylacine »

There is a cryptozoology.com website with all kinds of good stuff. Check it out. Also there is a great website called the "Thylacine Museum" which has great cryptozoological stuff.

[Edited on 23/4/06 by thylacine]
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Originally posted by fourpawsonthefloor
calicos and torts (tortishell) who are male are actually XXY cats - so while some have testicals they are usually sterile due to the extra up chromosome.
There was a big uproar two years ago in my anatomy class in vet schoot because one of the groups thought they had a female calico who turned out to be a male. He had tiny undeveloped testicles that hadn't descended.
I have seen one possibly tortie male in all my years, and it had ambigious genitalia.
The tortishell trait also seems to behaviorally linked. Lots of people who work with cats use the term "tortitude" to describe the particular tortishell attitude towards the world (and vets in particular). They are generally tiny cats who hang out at the back of the carrier (or cage) and get very very very angry very very very quickly and then they don't hold back with the clawing and the biting.

Though, when things are the way they like it, they are very loving and friendly cats. (At a vet's though, nothing is the way they like it though.)

I've never seen a male, though I grew up with a little tortie female who regularly kicked our 80 pound labrador's ass.

-e
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by thylacine »

My tortishell calico definitely has a tortitude -- ouch! She doesn't bite the vet, she bites me instead.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Geeze Louise its a bat eating centipede. And yes I mean a bat eating centipede, not a centipede eating bat.

http://gprime.net/video.php/bateatingcentipede

Am I glad I live in Canada. We may freeze our asses off 6 mnths of the year(ish) but our insects stay reasonable sized.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Originally posted by fourpawsonthefloor
Am I glad I live in Canada. We may freeze our asses off 6 mnths of the year(ish) but our insects stay reasonable sized.

Paws
:eek One more reason I gotta move to Canada....

That's...just...wow...

[Edited on 13-5-06 by LadyErin]
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Ah...David Attenbourogh...he shows us the most wonderfully, frightening things...but 35cm is just not the size a centipede should be...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

ack! that centepede... hope i never encounter one of them. one of the small variety can give you a nasty bite,i wouldn't want to think what something that size could do....

and HAH! I dunno, I'm leaning towards 'badly done fake' ont hat bigfoot footage :P
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Bamfette
ack! that centepede... hope i never encounter one of them. one of the small variety can give you a nasty bite,i wouldn't want to think what something that size could do....
They bite?! ... How did anyone ever get close enough to one to find that out? I'm shuddering just thinking of looking at them.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
Originally posted by Bamfette
They bite?! ... How did anyone ever get close enough to one to find that out? I'm shuddering just thinking of looking at them.
I was thinking that...

They are about the only thing that will make me sceam and run away....
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

This is probably too much of a stretch of "weird science" to fit here properly.

But I felt this was important to post as a PSA.

Don't mix Mentos mints with Diet Coke
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

rofl. Seen it and done it. Fun stuff!
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.