The New 52: Justice League International

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Robin, Aquaman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, the Flash, and more!
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Written by Dan Jurgens
Illustrated by Aaron Lopresti

I like Lopresti's style. I like the core idea behind the book - the UN putting together a super team with a name similar to a famous but independent one, with the slightly ominous goal of controlling a super team. I like that Booster Gold is around.

I completely disliked everything else, from the transparent explanation of why the creators decided to put some characters on the team and not others, explained through strawmen, to the overblown and ultimately meaningless national "identities" of the team members. They're not quite stereotypes...but they have no identity outside of their national origins. I also REALLY disliked the transparent and self-serving attempt to say "if you don't like this, you have no life." That's just poor writing. Your job is to make people enjoy the book, not make excuses...and the whole story kinda seemed like "I'm right, you're wrong, I don't care what you think."

I won't say it's bad. I'm going to chalk it up to "It's not my thing. At all," and I won't be reading a second issue of it.

What do you think?

[Edited on 9-7-2011 by Crawler]
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I was expecting to hate this after that review, but I didn't. I thought it was really cute. A nice change of mood from the darker books.

They're definitely setting Booster Gold up for some major leadership fuck-ups which I would like to see. I didn't mind that all the other characters weren't developed because I'd never heard of Booster Gold before so having the first issue focus on the (alleged) Team Leader and fleshing him out nicely was a good move from my perspective. I didn't get the idea that they didn't have personalities, but that it would be coming later. Plus right now they're all in First Day On The Job Mode. They've got to feel everyone out first before they start running their mouths. Unlike their leader. Heh! Yes, cute is definitely the word for it. :D
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Booster is a fun character. btw. He's been retconned with the reboot into being Canadian, so, woot :) the DCU was incredibly short on Canadian characters for some reason...