Speculations!!! Possible spoilers.

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Yes, I'm posting again, because I honestly have no life!

'Member way back in 2006, in the Nightcrawler solo series that kicked butt over every other solo series running at the time, Nightcrawler went on a journey back to his homeland only to discover it completely obliterated (deja vu anyone?) and then had a run in with a slew of supernatural evils? The result of a 6 issue plot was that Nighty ended up with the Soulsword inside him, apparently having been planted there quite a while ago by Margali and Amanda. Following a fight with the demon Hive, Kurt made the decision to continue harboring the Soulsword. (Can't really imagine what the ladies planned to do differently with it if he didn't want it.) Though I squealed at the thought of Nighty running around with that dreaded weapon stuck in his soul, it hasn't been mentioned anywhere else since (not that there's been much time!) and I'm hoping it's not going to just be ignored. And I have some theories.

Consider what the Soulsword is. It's unclear whether it's a supernatural weapon ages old, or if it was created by the first Magik, Illyana Rasputin. Both theories have been offered in Marvel canon, because the staff would blow a gasket if someone actually bothered to research the history of the subject they're writing about. The Soulsword has been used more for evil than for good: Illyana wielded it for evil, I think Kitty used it for both, Margali used it to kill rival sorcerors on the Winding Way, Gravemoss possessed Nightcrawler to use it for evil, and I'm not sure if Belasco ever had it, but he definitely would have used it for evil. So now dear sweet Kurti has a lethal, tainted sword stuck in him that's really nothing like Excalibur, for all the references he made to it in the solo series. Exactly what are the repreccusions of such a burden? He's already found out it was the reason for the increased supernatural activity around him and also for the "weight" *cough*tortuga chest*cough* on his mind.

Not to mention, according to Uncannyxmen.net (because I haven't read this specific title myself), in something called "Earth X", an alternate Nightcrawler was brainwashed and reprogrammed to mimic Belasco by Mephisto. UXM.net seems to imply that the very Belasco the 616 X-men fought was this warped version of Fuzzy. I can't claim that to be true though, since it's not explicitly stated (and I'd appreciate anyone who can confirm/deny it!). Belasco taught Illyana everything she knew and had many other affairs with the X-men. It's all starting to look a little ominous, no?

Finally, this is probably old news to y'all, but I'm new to the Exiles scene and just found scans of the first (only?) time the Exiles came to 616. Angel and Husk met a version of Illyana, and Angel acquired the Soulsword of an alternate universe. To my knowledge, he hasn't used it for anything either, but still.

HMMMM.

An angel and a demon have two ultra-powerful and dangerously evil supernatural weapons.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

What could this mean??!!

[Edited on 3-27-07 by Feuerstein]
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Are you suggesting an Angel/Nightcrawler Soulsword showdown? I'm afraid Kurt would totally slaughter Angel unless Warren's had sword practice I don't know about?
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Wasn't really implying anything (so speculations wasn't quite the right word to use), but just pointing out facts surrounding the most important aspects of these characters at the moment. I don't really want to see a Warren vs. Kurt fight (though, I'll admit, I'd bite the bullet for a sword fight). I don't even remember if Warren fences, though he handled the Soulsword without any difficulty.

I just wanted to bring up the parallels running between them. I think it's got to lead up to something - I'd just prefer if it was on the same side. Angel had a significant role in The Draco, so it makes sense he'd be entwined with Nightcrawler in some adventure involving the supernatural/ Crawler's and Angel's heritage. I'd like to see it played out, maybe tie up some of the myriad of loose ends. I also think there's a possibility our elf could become the bad guy! Just to reform and come back to the X-men, of course (nobody can resist spandex). There's so few rumors going around about the Soulsword(s), etc., and all the writers are :secret so I'm just looking for fresh ideas from fellow fans. I am stumped!
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Daycrawler
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Daycrawler »

As long as Austen does not write that story and kills the good idea that it might be, I would be up for reading that (If it would actually happen).
ImageBeing alone in a world filled with people is a horrible feeling
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Daycrawler
As long as Austen does not write that story and kills the good idea that it might be, I would be up for reading that (If it would actually happen).
Austen? I don't think you need to worry about that...

Maybe there are no rumours because no one is thinking about it? Jaysus, the same crowd that was bashing Kirkman for not being subtle is calling for yet another tired old go at the angel/demon dichotomy. Only with swords this time. That makes it cool right? Swords are cool!

You guys.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Hey, hey. I am not pro the demon-angel battle AT ALL. I was speculating that that could have been where this is going, because of Warren and Kurt both having Soulswords. And I'm not up on Warren-knowledge; for all I know he's already gotten rid of his and I totally missed it. The reason I first became a Kurt fan was because I was attracted to the fact that someone who looks so much like a demon has no connections with anything considered magical or even demonic. (Obviously, that's obselete now; in fact it was obsolete before I knew it, since Margali and Amanda were reveaeld to be sorceresses early in the series and I just wasn't aware of it initially.) But the fact remains that that is what attracted me to him in the first place.

Angel/Demon wars have gotten old. But that doesn't mean they aren't still going to do it. Azazel even referred to Warren as one of the "Cheyarafim," whereas Azazel's people were called the "Neyaphem," and he alluded to their having had some kind of war in ancient times. With all these coincidences, it made sense to me that we would soon be seeing an apocalyptic angels vs. demons war. One that I wasn't overly looking forward to, but at least it would deal with these connections instead of keeping them as separate events. As it is, it looks like that is not the road the writers are taking anyway, so no worries. ... But swords are hot, maybe we'll at least get a sword fight?