The New 52: Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Robin, Aquaman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, the Flash, and more!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

This books was way too much fun. I absolutely love how Lemire writes dialogue, it's so natural sounding. It lulls you into a sense of normalcy, then BAM he hits you with something creepy and/or weird, which just makes it have more impact. And the concept I a ton of fun and so far is living up to what it promised. It introduced everything quickly without it seeming forced, and had lots of fun stuff included. there wasn't a lot of action, as it was all setup but I don't think the issue suffered for it at all. The art is rough looking, but I think it fits the story really well.

btw. the cover for issue 4 was released today, and it is MADE OF WIN:

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

This looks like a gimmick book that I'm afraid many people will rave about because it features the far-less-popular characters and utilizes "unknown, but respectable talent". Then, should any of these characters pick up in popularity, if the book were to be cancelled, those Hipster Comic Fans will be all: "I read this back when it was in the New 52. It was way better then."

You can apply that same statement to the writers/artists.

I don't usually touch books like this. I know that makes me a very-mainstream-comic book reader, but that's just how I am. I remember Gorilla Man seemed interesting and I read it and realized why I don't usually go for this stuff. It rarely floats my boat.

BUT-- I did pick it up in the store to look at it, and liked the art style. Very appropriate for (at the very least) the title of the book.

[Edited on 19/9/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I totally agree, Bamfette, this was fun! I'm a big fan of Lemire, and this didn't disappoint. I have to say, I got alot of joy from meeting his team, essentially made up of your typical Halloween monsters. Loved that.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

I frickin' LOVED this book. It was really, really fun.

It suffers a little from having a whole lot to introduce, leading to a little bit of awkward dialogue as info gets shoehorned in, but those instances were few and far between. Lemire has a great ear for dialogue, and the rest was really top notch and interesting.

The art is a little unusual, but it reminds me of the old school Vertigo stuff, just as Animal Man did. It's a bit of a throwback to old "pro-indy" things, drawn in a really unique style that really goes along with the subject matter.

"Father Time" being in the body of a roughly 8-year-old girl, being in actuality a very old man really set the tone. The Atom's appearance anchored the book into the DCU proper and there was basically a very interesting idea on every single page, from the Ant Farm, to who was in the Creature Commandos, to the Creature Commandos no really liking that nickname, to who their creator was...

Basically, if you take your time and look at all that is introduced here, it's mind boggling. Just interesting idea after interesting idea, all nicely woven into a fun story.

I do miss how Griffith was characterized in Flashpoint a little, just because it was a nice, unique voice that made sense for the character and his situation. However, there's plenty of time to go in the direction if Lemire wants to, and, if not, I'm sure I'll grow to love this Griffith just as much. I also want more of The Bride. She was my favorite character in the Flashpoint series. But, again, plenty of time. This is the first issue and it was already very pleasantly dense.

Anyone not reading this is missing out. Anyone not reading it and judging it, well, they're self-righteous dumbasses. To deprive yourself of a work of art like this, to decide you don't like it before you've tried it, to lay judgement on those that do like it and want to share their excitement over it...that's a jerk move. I've seen quite a bit of people hoping it will fail or popping into discussions of the Edge and Dark books just to try to belittle the "sheep" that dare like less usual things.

The ironic thing for the comics-are-for-tights people is that they're really missing out here, as Frankenstein is probably the most traditionall superheroic character to yet show up in the new DCU. Selfless, chivalrous, fighting the good fight.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Anyone not reading this is missing out. Anyone not reading it and judging it, well, they're self-righteous dumbasses. To deprive yourself of a work of art like this, to decide you don't like it before you've tried it, to lay judgement on those that do like it and want to share their excitement over it...that's a jerk move. I've seen quite a bit of people hoping it will fail or popping into discussions of the Edge and Dark books just to try to belittle the "sheep" that dare like less usual things.
Unfortunately, Crawler, many people judge books -- especially comic books, by their cover. I can't say this type of thing usually appeals to me and I don't have the cash to experiment with 52 new DC titles right now, like some people seem to be able to do.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

You basically came in here and said all of us were 'hipster comic fans' who are just liking it to be cool. That's a dick move. If you aren't going to read it, that's fine. We're not saying you have to read it if you don't want. But I don't think it's too much to ask that you reserve criticism for things you've actually read, not just spout assumptions based on a cover or two.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Who said I accused you guys of being that?

And I don't think it's too much to ask that I'm perfectly free to state a blatant opinion I have about things.

I never, and repeat never, censor myself or hide how I feel about something. You make a topic about it? I feel I want to say something? I'm gonna say it.

And speaking of that, are we really going to clog this section up with 52 new threads about each issue? That seems a tad redundant, does it not? Why wouldn't we just condense that into a singular discussion, or at least break it down into "New 52: Bat-Family" "New 52- Super Family" and "New 52: Misc."... Seems like that would make a whole lot more sense instead of creating a stranglehold on the comics section and forcing people who want to discuss other non-DC books to the bottom of the sub-forum.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

This looks like a gimmick book that I'm afraid many people will rave about because it features the far-less-popular characters and utilizes "unknown, but respectable talent". Then, should any of these characters pick up in popularity, if the book were to be cancelled, those Hipster Comic Fans will be all: "I read this back when it was in the New 52. It was way better then."
What else were we supposed to make of that? You said, right there, that people must like books like this or Animal man etc. just because it's cool because it's on the fringe, instead of, you know, actually LIKING it because it's fun and well written. Which it is. (and, btw, Lemire isn't quite as fringe as you seem to think, he wrote Superboy for quite a while)

As for the New 52 threads, It's a big event in comics right now, and we are reading them and want to talk about them, so yes, we will make threads for them. Not for every book, but for the ones we liked, sure. It will die down in a few months, till then, deal with it. Create threads or reply to threads about books you want to read, we're not stopping you.

[Edited on 19/9/11 by Bamfette]
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

These threads are ongoing discussion about specific titles. I expect that we'll be coming back to them with each new issue. They're not real busy right now, but Nightscrawlers is not real busy right now. They're here so that anyone happening upon us (or searching for specific discussion) can find them and join in.

Deciding not to buy a book due to it's cover, literally or figuratively, is fine. It's voting with your dollar. It's what every self-respecting consumer should do. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

However, hoping a title fails because you, essentially, don't like the cover, or belittling the people that do like it based on the same thing is, well, for lack of a better word, it's trolling.

If someone reads something I like and doesn't like it, I welcome their opinion. I don't mind people disagreeing with me. It happens all the time. I just don't like and don't understand when people want to demean something because they don't want it. It's like saying "I've never tried ice cream, but I don't like it because sometimes it's white. So no one should like ice cream because it's stupid."

It just doesn't make sense.

NOW! Let's get back to talking about Frankenstein, eh?

That cover to #4 is awesome. I really hope J.G. Jones keeps doing covers for the series, even if it's a play on old monster movie posters every time. It's a great aesthetic and I think it might get more monster movie fans to pick up the book. :D

[Edited on 9-19-2011 by Crawler]
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I know! i love that cover SO MUCH I can't even put it into words. It captures the whole feeling of the old Universal monster movies, feels retro and pulpy, which is just a perfect fit for the book.

and btw - I agree that I want to see more of The Bride, she seems like a great character. I like that, from everything I've seen so far she's a complete badass, which I love. we see so few female badass characters. And her design is great.

oh, and another thing that Lemire ahs said in interviews that has me really intrigued? Frank is made up of bits and pieces of lots of people right? well, Lemire said he'd be exploring the past lives of all of Frank's parts, and how they contribute the him as a whole. I guess his personality is influenced by who these people were, which seems like it could be interesting. Same goes for the Bride, i'd assume, bit it is Frank's book.

[Edited on 19/9/11 by Bamfette]
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Bamfette wrote: oh, and another thing that Lemire ahs said in interviews that has me really intrigued? Frank is made up of bits and pieces of lots of people right? well, Lemire said he'd be exploring the past lives of all of Frank's parts, and how they contribute the him as a whole.
Whoa.

The first issue was interesting, though they crammed a lot of confusing background and details into it. I'll be sticking with it to see where it's going.

So far my favorite is the mummy.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Read it, finally. Scott's got a stack of DC books and since we know I like monsters I started there.

I thought it was okay. It was good enough to make me curious at least about the Frankenstein character since I know jack about DC's incarnation of him. If Scott keeps getting it, I'll read it, but I doubt I'd seek it out.

He reminded me of the movie Hellboy - the grudging, world-weary hero. Which I like, so hey. The classic monster team thing was nifty. The art... it fit, for this, but not my favorite style.