In celebration of the finest friendship in X-men lore.

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

What are your favorite Logan/Kurt moments? In the comics, the different animated series' or in other mediums where they have appeared?
Doesn't have to be anything big or sappy or earth-shattering, just moments that got to you in some way?
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Wolverine Annual 1995. Logan's last words: "Kurt was right. I did want to go back....an' if it wasn't for him, I would have. Those people back there...'specially Kurt...they mean everything 'ta me.":halo:logan
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I had a picture of this on my ond PC, but it broke down so I lost it. It was a convesation between Logan and Kurt. Note this is not a direct quote, only a paraphase.

Logan: Learn to take a joke Misfit.
Kurt: Well I've been working with one for long enough.

:pokejoke
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Bamfing_Bob's quote is from the first time Spiderman and Nightcrawler met, I think. I think the scans of that I found were on scans_daily. I can give you the exact quote, "Wolverine: Hey, don't get your tail in an uproar, Misfit. Can't you take a joke? Nightcrawler: By now I should! I've been working with one long enough!" Haha, the old days when they just couldn't get along... that lasted about a week. XD

I have a ton of favorite moments, but I'm a little too antsy to pick 'em out and write 'em down right now. Here's one for starters.

- When Logan convinces Kurt to wander the city without his image inducer. A woman says "What an extraordinary young man" and Logan says "That he is, ma'am." Then 'Crawler teases Logan by comparing him to Chewbacca, and claims he only lets Logan win when they fight. Then Logan beats up a blue-mutant-hating bully!
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Thanks!! And that's the duo for ya.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

I would have posted my own straight away, but I'm still trying to decide. I will give you my favorites of the moment:

The scene in Marvel Comics Presents #102, where Logan and Kurt are first reunited after the Mutant Massacre and Logan narrates: "What do you say to a former best buddy you haven't seen in ages? If you're close enough, you don't have to say a word." And then they hug.

Another scene that stuck with me was the last pages in Rucka's Wolverine #19, where Kurt explains Logan to the bartender: "The only thing hard about Logan are his bones and his claws. Everything else is just a man trying to do the right thing." And then Logan walks in with the corpse in his arms, uncharacteristically addressing Kurt as "my friend" and tells him that "she needs a priest".
And what really got me, I think, was the way Darick drew Logan's face. I'm so used to him looking grumpy and withdrawn when he grieves, but here his expression seemed so open and honest, all that grief exposed. It was such an intimate, touching moment and it seemed to speak multitudes about how close those two are.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

love_of_bob, THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE REFERENCE!!! I've been trying to figure out where that scene took place for the longest time. Now I know it's MCP #102! People on this board have been great help, but finally I have an exact reference. Thank you!!! (The funniest thing about that issue was the art... Logan was gigantic in comparison to Kurt, who had a squash-face. But the story was gold.)

These are all fantabulous moments, and now I'm going to go by more individual issues to catch up on them.
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Originally posted by Feuerstein
love_of_bob, THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE REFERENCE!!! I've been trying to figure out where that scene took place for the longest time. Now I know it's MCP #102! People on this board have been great help, but finally I have an exact reference. Thank you!!! (The funniest thing about that issue was the art... Logan was gigantic in comparison to Kurt, who had a squash-face. But the story was gold.)

These are all fantabulous moments, and now I'm going to go by more individual issues to catch up on them.
You're welcome!
There's also the fourth Uncanny X-men annual where Logan gives Kurt a birthday present - a framed picture of Wolverine himself. Smiling. And it wouldn't surprise me if it was autographed.

(Oh, btw, the Nightcrawler appreciation thread on the Marvel boards could use a little help, if anyone's willing to give it. We ramble, we discuss and we squee about Nightcrawler in general and Kurt in particular. *prods* Feel free to represent. Fuzzy's ignored on way too many boards.)
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

I promise to head on over there ASAP. The Marvel boards are giving me trouble with logging in. >.< I have to screw around with it.

To be legal, let me add that one of my favorite moments has got to be the entire building-up-to-Holy War arc, because Logan was the only one who acknowledged there was anything funky going on with Kurt (excepting maybe Chamber and Havok, but only barely), and it was so cute when he came in at night and found Kurt on the couch having a nightmare.

And um. There's this random adorable moment that I found in Essential Uncanny vol. 2 - I don't have it on hand right now to give the issue reference, but I'll try to find it - where they are fighting something and Ororo is making a windstorm, and Logan throws himself over Kurt to keep them both from being blown away. It's one panel and not even that noticeable, but I totally squeed when I saw it and it is the sole reason I bought that volume, since otherwise there's too much Phoenix in it for me. :blush
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Originally posted by FeuersteinTo be legal, let me add that one of my favorite moments has got to be the entire building-up-to-Holy War arc, because Logan was the only one who acknowledged there was anything funky going on with Kurt (excepting maybe Chamber and Havok, but only barely), and it was so cute when he came in at night and found Kurt on the couch having a nightmare.
I loved that about Casey's run: their friendship got a lot of play. It almost seemed like it was them against the world.

And I liked that hurricane moment, too. In fact, that's why I have trouble picking one moment, I love every little scene with those two. Like in Uncanny #400, where they find Kurt knocked out in the church and Logan runs around, fusses and snaps at people like Kurt is dying even AFTER he's woken up and is walking around, clearly physically unhurt. (He's also apparently upset enough to forget that you're not supposed to pick up someone you just found unconscious. Shouldn't Logan know this?)
It was also offset by how the others present weren't nearly as worried.

Then there was this scene in the 2001 Uncanny annual, where Kurt bursts in and saves Logan from torture and Logan goes "Not bad, elf. That's the kind of brawl I can appreciate.", followed by a wee, but special panel where Kurt tenderly removes the device the torturers used to keep Logan drugged and says "I learned from the best, mein freund". It was a small moment, but adorable.

And how could I forget Uncanny #165??
"I am sorry, my friend. I never realized how utterly and inescapably alone you must be, with no one to hold onto but yourself. More lonely than I, despite my outer appearance, could ever be."
"I ain't lonely, bub. I got YOU."
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

I think I love Joe Casey. Is he the one on New Excalibur right now? I'm trying to remember what was said about him recently on the Newsarama forums. I have a very small repetoire of knowledge about the writers and artists. (In fact, I really only started reading X-men regularly this past year, and this upcoming Morlock arc in Uncanny will be the first story arc I get to read from the very beginning of its publishing! *cheers*) But if Casey puts Logan and Kurt together a lot, I will do whatever he asks. S'long as it's something a civilized girl would do. ;)

And I love this thread! Finding out about all these scenes y'all love tips me off to which issues that I don't own I should be sure to buy! I hate the art on #400, not to mention pretty much all the art in that time period for Uncanny, but I also tink there was some great character development going on. I spend altogether too much money on comic books. :prof <-- that's just too cute!

And ditto to #165!

Hmm, well here's something I've been thinking about. During Claremont's last run on Uncanny, he had the find-Sage-and-find-out-if-she's-evil plotline. When Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Bishop ended up in Europe, Kurt and Logan went off to a coffee shop. (shock and horror!) In the shop, they talked about their love lives like a pair of adolescent girls. I know nothing about what guys talk about but Kurt sure was whiny! But it was very cute to hear the best-buddy talk.

On a non-cute and more bittersweet note, I also love in Wolverine - #5? I think? Probably the number is wrong - when Kurt visits Logan in the bar after Lucy Braddock was killed and Logan reveals that he's killed two dozen people recently. Kurt tries to understand why, and Logan asks him what if there was no reason, and he says something to the effect of, "Then you would have become the monster you've always feared to be, and you'd have to be stopped." Logan says, "And youd stop me?" Kurt says, "No, but I would die trying." And then Logan gives him this unreadable look.

I LOVE that issue.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

The girly relationship talk in the coffee shop was from Uncanny X-Men - The New Age #453. And I just love their banter. It's what holds the comic together.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

All the Logan/Kurt moments listed so far are among my favorites.

I searched through my old Uncanny issues to find what I think is the very first inkling of a blossoming friendship. Uncanny X-Men #95, page 22, second panel. Kurt first calls Logan, "my friend" just before they wammo an ani-man together. In Uncanny X-Men #96, page 18-22. Kierrok of the N'Garai wallops Kurt with his tail and says, "Kierrok does not fall to such as you, changling." and Logan replies, "....the misfit may be a misfit, but he's Wolverine's buddy." It is in this same issue (page 7) that Logan first calls Kurt "Elf", right before he tries to kill him. :\

So far, my favorite panel is in WILDC.A.T.S./X-Men Modern Age, on what would be page 19, if they were numbered. Kurt has just barely missed being skewered by the "daemon", and he is behind Logan, hugging the top of Logan's head, totally discombobulated.

[Edited on 25/4/07 by neling4]

love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Originally posted by Feuerstein
I think I love Joe Casey. Is he the one on New Excalibur right now?
No, Claremont is currently on New Excalibur and Frank Tieri was before him (to be picky, Claremont was first, then fell ill or something and Tieri took over until recently, when Claremont returned).
I haven't heard from Casey since he left his short run on Uncanny. It was a bit aimless and he recycled some old ideas, but it had its perks, imo.

I hate the art on #400, not to mention pretty much all the art in that time period for Uncanny, but I also tink there was some great character development going on.
I like Sean Phillips' art, because his style is rough, but accurate. I also liked the art in the 2001 annual, but at the moment, I don't recall the artist's name. The other artists were so-so. #400 was a mess, the art switches did nothing for the story.

Hmm, well here's something I've been thinking about. During Claremont's last run on Uncanny, he had the find-Sage-and-find-out-if-she's-evil plotline. When Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Bishop ended up in Europe, Kurt and Logan went off to a coffee shop. (shock and horror!) In the shop, they talked about their love lives like a pair of adolescent girls. I know nothing about what guys talk about but Kurt sure was whiny! But it was very cute to hear the best-buddy talk.
Yes, poor, indecisive Kurt just can't get laid, despite the ladies throwing themselves at him. And Logan compliments him and he assumes it's sarcasm. Oh, Kurt, what are we going to do with you?
On a non-cute and more bittersweet note, I also love in Wolverine - #5? I think? Probably the number is wrong - when Kurt visits Logan in the bar after Lucy Braddock was killed and Logan reveals that he's killed two dozen people recently. Kurt tries to understand why, and Logan asks him what if there was no reason, and he says something to the effect of, "Then you would have become the monster you've always feared to be, and you'd have to be stopped." Logan says, "And youd stop me?" Kurt says, "No, but I would die trying." And then Logan gives him this unreadable look.

I LOVE that issue.
Yes! That moment was awesome. And could have been followed up in the following Wolverine arc (Enemy of the State) - in fact, many speculated that it would - but no, they blew it. Teh SUCK.

That whole issue was so marvelous, with Kurt shining as the complex, multi-sided character he's supposed to be - going through the whole emotional spectrum in one conversation, being supportive, responsible and caring as well as adamant in his fundamental beliefs and we even got to see his dramatic, flamboyant side when he talked about the nature of absolution. Here's Logan, over 100 years old, a scarred veteran seeking advice about life from a guy in his late twenties. And Kurt's analysis made me look at Logan in a new light.
Originally posted by neling4It is in this same issue (page 7) that Logan first calls Kurt "Elf", right before he tries to kill him. :
How many times has Logan tried to kill Kurt so far? I can think of three.
So far, my favorite panel is in WILDC.A.T.S./X-Men Modern Age, on what would be page 19, if they were numbered. Kurt has just barely missed being skewered by the "daemon", and he is behind Logan, hugging the top of Logan's head, totally discombobulated.
That was adorable.

Wolverine #140 also has a couple good moments (altough Logan in the issue turned out to be a Skrull later), my favorite being where Kurt reprimands Logan about getting into a fight at a restaurant and sounds like a mother scolding her child. And Logan just...takes it, doesn't even defend himself. Kurt also says that (loose quote) "Sometimes I feel like I don't know you. As though your life and everything you've endured has turned you into someone so guarded and closed-off that no one can even begin to understand you or what you are about."

I'd love to see that explored more. Someone who cares as much as Kurt...it can't be easy to be Logan's best friend, it's gotta take its toll sometimes.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I was just doing some research for a fan-fic, and I found a panel that I thought was really nice. Nightcrawler #3, third series, third page, fourth panel. Kurt and Kitty are fencing. Kurt throws a little kick-boxing into the mix, and Logan says "Look who' s a big show-off..." I love the look of mixed pride and amusement on Logan's face.

[Edited on 28/4/07 by neling4]

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Actually, that's the third series. But yeah. Liked that.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Whoops! :blush I knew that, too, since I have all three series. Thanks for pointing out my typo.

love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

I completely missed/forgot about that scene! Thanks for reminding me, that was lovely. Darick Robertson is great at capturing subtle facial expressions.

There are, of course, also Uncanny #139-#140 where Logan asks Kurt to come along to visit Alpha Flight and the scene where he, for the first time, makes Logan think about the ethics of killing. It may not be the sweetest buddy moment of them all, but I think it must have been a pretty important moment in Logan's life.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

The best moment of #139 was when Kurt jumps on Wolvie's head at the sight of Snowbird transformed into a polar bear. :D
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I love Nighty's quirkiness vs Wolvie's ruggedness. Uncanny friendship in the Uncanny X-Men. Irony?
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

OK! I have two more. In Uncanny X-Men annual #4, on the fourth and fifth pages of the story, when Ororo and Xavier announce that Kurt is dead, Piotr covers his face and Logan crushes a beer can. Logan asks Xavier if he is sure, he asks Ororo "who and why?", then he sits in the dark looking as if he is about to cry. It almost made me cry when I first read it. Logan and Piotr both show a great deal of brotherly love for Kurt in this issue. :wolvie :bday:colossus:

Uncanny X-Men Annual #5, Ou. La La...Badoon! About twenty pages in, before the battle, Kurt puts his hand on Logan's shoulder and tells him that "...the taking of a life... is not a casual thing. It should never be treated lightly." and that Logan is an honorable man. Logan replies, "I may be too old to change, even if I wanted to." The conversation between Kurt and Logan in Wolverine #6 so reminded me of this conversation from many years earlier. Very touching also, is a panel on the next to last page of the story. Kurt has been severely wounded in the battle, and Logan is hanging over him, fearing for his life.

[Edited on 1/5/07 by neling4]

[Edited on 1/5/07 by neling4]

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

:offtopic I know, but how many times has Nightcrawler "died"? Meaning presumed dead or dead and then brought back to life like the comic cliche.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Twice, I believe. In the Uncanny Annual #4, then in UXM #472, In the First FourSaken arc part 1. Jamie Braddock kills Kurt and his teammates, then brings them back to life.

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Typical. Has Wolvie ever really died?
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Originally posted by Bamfing_Bob
I love Nighty's quirkiness vs Wolvie's ruggedness. Uncanny friendship in the Uncanny X-Men. Irony?
Oh yes. But then, they ARE pretty similar at their core: Loners, outsiders, passionate, emotional, devoted, flirts, fighters, wise, intelligent, survivors and so on. The differences add spice, but the similarities add credibility.
And they always work best when being written as equals, I think. It could so easily be a hero/sidekick or love/hate kind of relationship, which would be less interesting, imo. As it is, both have something to give the other and they work well in everything from lighthearted situations to life-and-death ones. There's so much you can do with them.
Originally posted by neling4
Uncanny X-Men Annual #5, Ou. La La...Badoon! About twenty pages in, before the battle, Kurt puts his hand on Logan's shoulder and tells him that "...the taking of a life... is not a casual thing. It should never be treated lightly." and that Logan is an honorable man. Logan replies, "I may be too old to change, even if I wanted to." The conversation between Kurt and Logan in Wolverine #6 so reminded me of this conversation from many years earlier. Very touching also, is a panel on the next to last page of the story. Kurt has been severely wounded in the battle, and Logan is hanging over him, fearing for his life.
I loved the scene where Kurt talks to Logan. He's such a silver-tongued devil. And it adds some emotional weight to the second scene you mention. I thought that one was dealt with too quickly, though: "But then comes a super doctor and fixes him up and Kurt is all fine again!" Two panels later he's wearing a dress and having threesomes with Logan and Sasha. Pah. They could at least have made Logan sweat in the waiting room a little.
Originally posted by Bamfing_Bob
Typical. Has Wolvie ever really died?
He was dead for, like, thirteen minutes or so in Wolverine #176.

Another scene I loved is in X-men: Liberators #4. They're in Siberia. In the previous scene, it's established that "The snow is heavy. Brutal winds cut like scythes of ice across the wilderness. This is not a day to be outside."

Then we cut to Kurt digging. I quote the captions: He stopped feeling the cold hours ago, both the digging of his limbs and the turmoil of his thoughts doing just enough to keep him warm and alive. He had come to the Potter's field prepared for the worst...only to find much worse than that.

(Inbetween the captions, we see Kurt digging and mumbling: "D-do not... worry...mein freund...I...I am right...here...")

Captions continue: He has moved from unmarked grave to unmarked grave to unmarked grave. Horrified by what he finds, though eluded by that which he seeks. He has not unclenched his teeth for hours. The chattering was a distraction. His fingers are numb and raw. They say Wolverine is dead. But he knows better. Doesn't he...?

Now that's dedication. Of course, Logan shows up nice and nude and alive a couple panels later.