New Mutants

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

New Mutants

Post by Melylott »

I LOVE this series. Any like-minded people here? Kevin is so great. I think I may have to change him to my new UCC character. ^_^ So...Discuss, discuss!
:abyss Abyss's Number Two Fan! I Love Nils!!! :abyss
:austen
"The Shire is THAT way!"
---Frodo, One Ring to Rule Them All 2 (Greatest Flash EVAH!11)
#1 Fan of Blue!Jill. Sorry Bamfette. ^_^ :jillian
I love Wither!
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

New Mutants

Post by NightPoofer »

What is this New Mutants Melylott? I've seen to be getting behind on a lot of things over this summer.
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

New Mutants

Post by Dracadancer »

New Mutants 'the second series' is a spin off of the old New Mutants from the mid 80s - early 90s. It stars some of the same characters from the old New Mutants and also new characters that are students at the school. There's only 3 issues of it so far and not much has happened plotwise, mostly they've been running around recruiting kids for the school, so if you want to pick up #4 you wouldn't have missed anything major. UncannyXmen.net has a really good summary page for New Mutants HERE that will tell you all about it Poofer. I've been buying it cause I really like the art style it's drawn in, the covers alone are almost worth getting it. I do hope they get along to some kind of buildup plot soon though, you can only recruit for so long before it starts to get kinda old.
###Dracadancer's Lair### ---> Your all purpose website

Random Quote of the Week: "Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns, there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don’t know we don’t know."
This year’s winner of the Foot in the Mouth award Donald Rumsfeld
Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

New Mutants

Post by Melylott »

They're gonna fight the Reavers in number five. :)
"The Shire is THAT way!"
I love Wither!
blueberrymuffin
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

New Mutants

Post by blueberrymuffin »

Yeah, New Mutants. My boyfriend loves this book. He's really a huge fan of the art.
I love that Danni is the main character at the moment. Being half native american I've always felt like she just rules all. It's great to see her in a book finally.
I agree about the plot though, I hope it gets along here pretty soon. But I have faith.
"I deserve sympathy for the sins of my sordid past, not scorn. Those were difficult days, I was probably very confused and out of my mind on drink or drugs. It's not always about 'good' and 'evil' Scott dear." Emma

"I can't believe what some mutants are up to right now in the privacy of their own homes." Emma (again)
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

New Mutants

Post by Dracadancer »

Just thought I'd point out the small, very tiny, Kurt cameo in New Mutants #4 that came out last week, I know I'm running behind. He appeared as part of one of Danielle's illusions that she was using to try an scare away some anti-mutant thugs.

Scanned the picture, can be found --->HERE

I think he looks pretty snazzy myself.

Random Quote of the Week: "Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns, there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don’t know we don’t know."
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

New Mutants

Post by Siona »

*pats NM Kurt's poof, poofy, poofy hair* Aw, he looks awful pissed right there. :D

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

New Mutants

Post by Melylott »

How do you all feel about Keron's art? This was his last issue, and as much as I enjoy how he draws some characters, I think he can be inconsistant and well...a little sloppy at times. He's really good with action though. That seems to be his thing. I'm looking forward to seeing a new artist on the book, because I wanna see how everyone looks in another style. Esp. Kevin. ^^
"The Shire is THAT way!"
I love Wither!
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

New Mutants

Post by Dracadancer »

I'm with you Melylott. I really do like Keron Grant's style but he's terriblely inconsistant with how the characters look sometimes. Like take issue four for example, all the kids looked like they were in their mid 20s instead of the more teenage look that they had in issue 1-3. I really do think 3 was probably his best one, and that's just not because I like Kevin. :P I just hope they don't turn Kevin into another EVO angsty Rogue type character though.

BTW does anyone know who's taking over for Grant in the next issue?

Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

New Mutants

Post by Melylott »

For the next two issues I don't know who's taking over, but after that I think it's Carlo Baberi (?).
"The Shire is THAT way!"
I love Wither!
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

New Mutants

Post by Dracadancer »

Well New Mutants #5 came out today with new artist Mark Robinson taking the helm, for at least two issues anyway. Nunzio Defilippis & Christina Weir do a wonderful job story-wise again, they really are great with the characterization of the new kids, but Robinson's art was really hit and miss, with me anyway, this issue. In general the art was pretty good but there were one or two of the characters that really got a makeover, and not necessarly for the better. Now most of the females were fine, I actually really liked Sofia's new look cause she appears much more South American now. Dani was still looking good, Laurie looked fine for the most part, but Karma....ugh...don't know about her. And poor poor Kevin. I don't know what happened to him between this issue and the last one but he's gone from the sensitive artist look to dressing as an earring wearing 80 punk rocker. You got me. David is pretty generic looking but he’s got personality to make up for it; when he flipped Logan on his back :LOL. It was Xavier's look this issue really made me laugh though. I guess it must have been casual day at the school or something since Xavier was dressed like my former 80 year old Econ. professor for some reason this issue. Ah well, if anything Robinson is only doing issues 5 and 6 before Carlo Baberi takes over the series for a while. The story is still really good though, the new Josh kid looks he's going to be interesting (a mutant hating mutant?), still wondering if Magma is ever going to come out of her coma, and can't wait to finally see Rahne in issue 6. Well she’s going to be on the cover anyway, even if she's not suppose to show up in the actual series until issue 10. Marvel and their “Our covers have nothing to do with what’s actually in the comic” rule. :rolleyes

Anybody else getting this series like or dislike the new look?

Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

New Mutants

Post by Kaileighblue »

I'm not really happy with #5' s art.. they just look like snobs.. I dunno it's just a me thing. I love kevin but he kinda did a big switch between a shy scared guy to an outgoing punky type.. maybe he got over it... *shrug*

I did notice in the last page or so he's taking off his glove in one panel and the next he has the glove on the opposite hand off..

.. yes.. I am ocd and notice things :p
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

New Mutants

Post by MabusRex »

Preview now up of Issue #7 with the new regular penciller:

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread. ... eadid=6064

I'm REALLY liking it and the feel of these pages is more of what I want to read about in NEW MUTANTS. I personally can't wait!

But...why is Warren green? :huh
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

New Mutants

Post by Siona »

I thought it was Iceman...but then I saw the wings...but they look like ice too!! Oh, man. :hypno

The art is really quite eyecatching, and I especially like the idea of how it kinda gives off the feel "Hey, you know, the Xavier Institute is STILL a school!" Lotsa kids, good thing.

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

New Mutants

Post by Dracadancer »

That what I love about New Mutants too Sonia, it really get's back to mutants trying to get by just being mutants. I'm really liking the look of Carlo Baberi's art. I have nothing aginst Mark Robinson but I think Barberi's style will fit the feel of the series a little better.
As for why Warren is greenish blue? I have no idea. My best guess is maybe that's not Warren and it's some other student who happens to have angel wings. Looks like the plot will finally catch up to what's going on in New X-men though. Dang, I was really hoping all the stuff in New X-men was just some fever dream Mags was having. :sick Looks like maybe it's not though.

Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

New Mutants

Post by Kaileighblue »

probably just someone else.. if you note there is a student in the hall with wings also
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

New Mutants

Post by MabusRex »

Nah, I'm almost sure it's Warren. First, he is older looking and bigger than the younger characters.

Second, you have him tutoring Josh Folley (the brown-haired kid) in the chem-lab. In #5, we learn that Josh is a HEALER (he's healing a hampster/gerbil/thing in his hand in that second panel). It would make sense that Warren would want to supervise his power usage since they share somewhat the same powers now.

It's Warren, I tells ya. But I'm thinking the coloring's a goof.
spidergirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

What do you think of the New Mutant series?

Post by spidergirl »

I started reading this series from about the time that the third one came out. I really like it so far. What does everyone else think?
:bunny:bunnyWe are the Bunny Warriors. Fear Us. :bunny :bunny

Nie Mond ein Werwolf.

Weiser Mann nie Spiel Bockspringen mit Einhorn.

Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#34)
Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

New Mutants

Post by Melylott »

Yay! I just read issue number five, and I'm lovin' the new art. Kevin looks great! Hee.
I like how all of Dani's kids are becoming friends. So cool.
I also loved the bit where Kevin decays some of the couch. "Oops." Heh.
Does anyone else think Kevin has the worst mutant power to live with in Marvel U? Or is there a more tragic one I don't know of. I personally think he and Magnus (Exiles) prolly have the saddest ones.
"The Shire is THAT way!"
I love Wither!
Icey
Lubber
Lubber

New Mutants

Post by Icey »

Originally posted by MabusRex
Preview now up of Issue #7 with the new regular penciller:

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread. ... eadid=6064

I'm REALLY liking it and the feel of these pages is more of what I want to read about in NEW MUTANTS. I personally can't wait!

But...why is Warren green? :huh
Over at ComiX-Fan Nunzio (or was it Christina?) said that those previews had multiple coloring mistakes and they would be fixed before the issue came out (like Josh's hair is also way too dark, or Ceccily (sp?) - the red headed, metal-texture skinned female friend of Julian lost her metalic sheen)

I, personally, LOVE this new art. I think it fits better htan the art from issue 5, and though it reminds me of Keron's - it seems to fit the series a bit better IMO.
~ THIS is a KNIFE, the focused totality of my telepathic abilies, and it'll cut alot deeper than your BANANA! ~ :bets Psylocke (Excalibur#56)
~ Now, I like tall, dark strangers as much as the next girl *SMASH* but when an unexpected gentleman caller gets a little too fresh with me, I'm not afraid to remind him of his poor, inexcusable manners, KIIYAHH!, with a swift kick to the more sensitive parts of his person! ~ :bets Psylocke (Crimson Dawn #2)
Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

New Mutants

Post by Melylott »

I love the new art, as well. I wanna know who that kid is, with the fishbowl helmet on his head!!! I'm asking Nunzio and Christina. ^^
"The Shire is THAT way!"
I love Wither!