X2 already released in....Lucky X-Fans!

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Beboots »

Originally posted by sevati
Originally posted by Siona
That, and I have a strong belief that they won't be in English...don't most folks down there speak Spanish or Puerto Rican or something?

That's probably a REALLY stupid question, but, hey, I took Spanish last year and on my last test (a test on the countries), I only got one right: Mexico. :X
Countries where Spanish (Castilian) is spoken and about how many speakers. Spanish is the official language of Argentina. Spanish and English are the two most common languages spoken in Puerto Rico (I don't think either is the official one, just like the US doesn't have an official language).
*blinks slowly* I thought that English was the US's official language? ... I'm probably wrong, though... I only know that the official languages of Canada are French & English (I speak both), but I thought that the Spanish programs only began a decade or two ago in the US? :?
/ERROR 406: file corrupt:Earth.config/reboot:universe? (Y/N)

:poke

Snape: Nonsense, Harry...I harbor no ill will towards any of my students, you accursed little worm.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

I have to learn Spanish here; we used to learn German, but it was canceled just before I got into high school!! :bawl So I take French instead, and I. LOVE. IT. :D

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by sevati »

Originally posted by Beboots
*blinks slowly* I thought that English was the US's official language? ... I'm probably wrong, though... I only know that the official languages of Canada are French & English (I speak both), but I thought that the Spanish programs only began a decade or two ago in the US? :?
Nope. The US has no official language. It's a very controversial topic with politicians and immigrants-support groups.

The US is a land of immigrants. It is seen as rude and unfair to demand everyone speak the same language. Especially for the older folks, when a language is extremely hard to learn.

There are places in the US, mainly big cities like NY, where an immigrant could live their whole life in a place like Chinatown or Little Italy. Be able to get their food, clothes, medicines there, not have to speak anything but Mandarin or Italian. It works for them. However, their children and grandchildren will most likely become fluent in English due to school and being around their friends.

When my great-grandfather brought his family over from Lithuania, he relocated to a Lithuanian neighborhood in Philadelphia. I'm pretty sure he didn't speak English that well and only started learning it after coming to the US. My grandmother though was fluent growing up here, according to my father. The other side of my family is mostly Irish, so no language barriers there!
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

There's no such thing as Puerto Rican language, in Puerto Rico they speak english and spanish like Sev said.

Most of the countries in middle and South America have spanish as an official language.
Vee_EmmCee
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Vee_EmmCee »

An amazing amount of languages are spoken in Canada too. I wonder why their official languages are just English and French. iN Vancouver many people just speak Japanese. They have a huge Japanese population there.
"The hate of another person is sick and disgusting, and I'll never understand how the word hate is thrown around like it's nothing. Because it's something, something ominious, and in the end, it will destroy us all. "
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Beboots »

Originally posted by Vee_EmmCee
An amazing amount of languages are spoken in Canada too. I wonder why their official languages are just English and French.
*shrugs* As most people know, the country was only French for the longest time. At first, before New France was taken over by the English, to immigrate there, you had to be all of the following: Married, Catholic, and French. So, as you can see, a lot of the people along the St.Laurance (sp?), the first settled, speak French, even today. The English only came in great numbers during the American Revolution... All of the loyalists headed to Canada. So, for quite a while, it was only a French/English country, and it's still the majority today... Although there are quite a few people who speak Chinese at home ...(I remember a poll... It was like, 10% Surprizing)
/ERROR 406: file corrupt:Earth.config/reboot:universe? (Y/N)

:poke

Snape: Nonsense, Harry...I harbor no ill will towards any of my students, you accursed little worm.