SUE THE MUTANT!

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

SUE THE MUTANT!

Post by thylacine »

Here is a story for you all to enjoy! It takes place in Germany, before X2.

Another successful show over, he thought... Now he could rest for the night. First he would find something to eat, maybe read a little, then get some sleep. He hung up his costume and got into an old T-shirt and jeans -- the seamstress who did the costuming for the circus was kind enough to adjust his clothing to accommodate a tail...

Suddenly there was a pounding at the door to his trailer. He got up to answer it, "Margali?"

She looked worried, "Kurt. We have a problem."

"Not those anti-mutant people again?"

"No. Worse. Two loud mouth American tourists have misplaced their little brat and they are hysterical. Now they are threatening to sue. I've stalled them as much as I can. They are demanding we call the local police -- "

"What does it have to do with me?"

"The kid is apparently looking for you."

"What? For what?"

"The parents are vacationing in Europe. They thought it would be fun to take their little boy to the circus. He liked your show so much he went off trying to get your autograph."

Oh mein Gott... He sighed. "We'll be in trouble if he's not found soon, won't we?"

From the far distance, they could both hear shouting --

"They say that thing is a mutant, Bill! A mutant!"

"Well, that mutie better not come near our little Dillon, or there'll be hell to pay!"

"I just hope they fed it enough tonight!"

"They shouldn't let that thing run loose at night! They must be crazy or stupid or both! What kind of circus is this?"

Margali watched as they ran through the parking lot and she sighed, "Kurt -- Six years old. Brown hair. Cartoon dinosaur shirt. Red sneakers. You see well enough in the dark."

"The police haven't arrived yet, have they?"

"I haven't called them yet. I've got everyone out looking, and -- "

He was gone instantly in a puff of smoke.

She coughed and waved the smoke away, " -- And you better find the kid so I can return him to those two idiots."

He materialized at the highest branch of a tree that could support his weight. Looking around he saw nothing unusual. But when the shouting couple followed Margali into the trailer she used as an office, he could hear quiet whimpering in the cold darkness. It came from behind the tiger cage. Not a good place to be.

Kurt arrived instantly and saw that the cat was becoming agitated. He walked around to the other side of the cage, "Dillon?"

Dillon looked up, wide eyed and frightened, tears running down his face.

"Dillon, your parents are very worried." He hoped his English was good enough.

The boy seemed to understand. "I went to find you. But I got lost."

The tiger snarled. If the boy got any closer, all the cat had to do was reach out a paw...

"Your show is cool." He sobbed because he was cold and afraid.

The tiger growled again.

"This is not a good place to be, Dillon."

"Can you really do magic? Or is it fake, like on TV?"

He didn't know quite how to answer, "Well... Of course I can! But the show is over, and your parents miss you. You must go home now." He reached down and took the boy's hand. But he knew he could not bring the boy back to his parents in such condition. There would be more trouble if he came back crying and shaking. "Come on."

The tiger roared as they walked away.

In his trailer Kurt found a moist cloth to wipe away Dillon's tears. "We'll find Mommy and Daddy real soon, okay?"

"This place is cool," the little boy said, finally calm. "How come yah gotta sword?"

Kurt cursed silently to himself... Should have stashed it in case the police come... "That's... That's just for our show, Dillon. Look, here. Before you go, I will give you this." He turned and pulled a poster off the wall.

"Wow. You gotta tail."

"Of course I've got a tail, Dillon! All magical blue mutants who work in the circus have tails!" He actually had never met too many other mutants, but needed a swift answer.

"You're kinda funny."

"Okay, but don't tell the clowns. They get jealous." He pulled the tape off the back of the poster and found something to write with: To Dillon. Best Wishes -- from your friend, Kurt Wagner -- The Amazing Nightcrawler!

He rolled it up and handed it to the little boy, "Now, let's find Mom and Dad."

"That's it! That's it, lady! We've waited long enough! We are going to find a cop! Come on, DeeDee! What the hell kind of outfit is this, anyway? You got mutants running around the grounds at night? Is that it? The thing could eat somebody! Don't you know enough to lock it up at night?" He opened the door to the trailer to leave.

Margali was steamed, "Now you look, stupid -- "

"Don't you talk to me that way, lady! We are gonna sue you, we are gonna sue this stupid circus, and sue the government of Germany, and the tourist bureau for recommending this lousy show, we are gonna sue your mutant -- "

DeeDee suddenly screamed, "Oh my God, Bill! Look! It's got our baby!"

Margali looked and saw them both coming through the dimly lit parking lot. She laughed, "Are you still going to sue the mutant?"

"Dillon!" DeeDee screamed, "Mommy is furious! Come over here! Right now! Dillon!"

"Oh my God," Bill glared at Kurt, "What have you done with our son?"

Kurt wanted to say he saved the boy from the tiger, but that would cause more trouble. For once in his life, he kept quiet.

"Mom! Dad! Lookit!" The little boy ran up to his parents and showed them the poster. "He's cool. He gotta tiger! And a sword! And he can do magic, so the clowns get jealous! And he gotta tail! And -- "

Bill grabbed the boy and they hauled him away as fast as they could.

"Bill! You're an idiot, just like the rest of your family! This vacation was your idea."

"Oh yeah? This is all your fault! You're supposed to be watching him."

"When we get back, I want a divorce!"

"Good. Then I can go to Aruba with Betsy!"

"Who the hell is Betsy?"

Margali rushed out of her trailer and hugged Kurt. He had to hold her up so she would not fall to the ground laughing, "With parents like that, no wonder the kid ran off."

"Margali? Are they still going to sue?"
Ladyhawke
Lubber
Lubber

SUE THE MUTANT!

Post by Ladyhawke »

Alright, how come no one has commented on this story? It is wonderful, a very different take on Kurt finding a kid lost in the circus. Very well done, with just the right amount of annoyance in the parents to make us feel sorry for the kid. Heck, I'd wonder what the kid thinks about his parents observations.
Well done. :thumbup
"I wish upon tonight to see you smile if only for awhile to know your there."

"I believe that angel's breath"
"Faith is believing all power can't be seen."

Frodo, Kurt and Pippin are MINE!!!
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

SUE THE MUTANT!

Post by thylacine »

Why thank you, Ladyhawke. This story is partially inspired by what I'm doing in college right now -- I'm in paralegal school. We are studying torts, civil suits, negligence, etc. All I hear all day long in class is "sue this," and "sue that," and "are these people standing to sue?"

Anyway... I'm also thinking of writing a sequel to this one... about what happens when the kid grows up & stuff & Kurt has to save him again 'cause his life is all messed up... Later, bye!
Zuno
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

SUE THE MUTANT!

Post by Zuno »

This was a great story! The ending, were the parents are arguing, made me laf. Espesialy "When we get back, I want a divorce!"
"Good. Then I can go to Aruba with Betsy!"
"Who the hell is Betsy?"
LOL.
Kan't wayt to read the sequel, if you make it. I give it two thumbs up :thumbup :thumbup
Please visit my art side: http://the-shadowcat.deviantart.com/

I apolagise for my spelling mistakes.
English being my second language + dyslexsia = lotts of them XD
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

SUE THE MUTANT!

Post by thylacine »

Thank you, Zuno! I'll see if I can get around to doing a sequel one day!
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

SUE THE MUTANT!

Post by Siona »

Due to problems with Nightscrawler's programming, the apostrophes were screwed up; I'd go back and replace them with the proper apostrophes.

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

SUE THE MUTANT!

Post by thylacine »

Okay, thank you Siona. And if anyone is interested, I'm planning a sequel. It will take place 20 years after this story, when the X-Men are in their 40's, and Dillon is all grown up and all messed up! Don't know what I'll call it, though... ?
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

SUE THE MUTANT!

Post by Siona »

Dunno...I'd say to finish it first, think about what the real message of the fic is, and if you still can't think up one, I'd go for "Old Friends".

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

SUE THE MUTANT!

Post by thylacine »

That's a good idea, Siona. Thanks. I have had a real crazy winter, but I'll work on that as soon as I can.
John Doe
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

SUE THE MUTANT!

Post by John Doe »

This was a good short, but I wouldn't have thought it'd support a sequel (then again, you did write one.)

I think it was too short and had too temporary a problem that didn't really change anyone's life too drastically- although, perhaps Dillon's life was altered more than I know.

I do think this was a fun read, albeit not that fulfilling, whether due to its length or choice of problem, I don't know. But very funny and very realistic reactions by the parents. "Who the hell is Betsy?" Classic line.
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

SUE THE MUTANT!

Post by thylacine »

Yeah... it was just meant for fun. Like my law professor says... "When in doubt, sue everybody!" And that includes sue the mutant!