5/14 Issue: The Floater

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

5/14 Issue: The Floater

Post by Slarti »

Timelined a couple days after Multiple Solutions.

Carol: It was super quiet in the house when Obi was at work. Super quiet... and super boring. There was only so much work she could handle at once without needing something to break up the rage so she had spent rather a lot of time today... (too much time, probably), plotting. She'd even ventured out for supplies for her plan... which took way longer than she'd thought it would. And now she was waiting for Obi to get home.

Shinobi: It'd been a long day in court and Obi had a headache. He was ready to get home, order some Doordash, and maybe watch a movie with Carol. He missed Hope, of course, but it was nice to have someone else in the house. It was even nice to have her space cat there, especially since there was no litter box required.

Carol: Chewie meowed and hopped off the sofa, heading for the front door. Carol assumed she'd heard Obi's car or something and sat up, stretching a little before setting her tablet on the coffee table and getting up to follow Chewie as far as the hallway.

Shinobi: Obi opened the door, more than a little surprised to be greeted by that space cat, who meowed at him like an ordinary cat. "Hi to you, too. Is it just you and me tonight or is your ward home?"

Carol: "She's not my babysitter!" Carol yelled down the hall on her way to the kitchen for more coffee.

Shinobi: "You and me know the truth," he mock whispered at the cat, who looked pleased. After a moment, he reached down and gave Chewie a stroke.

Carol: The pets earned purrs and then Chewie was distracted by the sound of food hitting her bowl. She trotted ahead of him to the kitchen with a 'Mrrrrow?'

Shinobi: The question mark curve of her tail was cute and he watched her trot, bemused smile on his face. Maybe he needed a cat of his own, after Carol left. If Carol left. He wandered down the hall and set his attache case on the kitchen table. "Well hello, miss I'm not babysat by a cat."

Carol: Carol turned to lean against the counter with her coffee, lifting it for a sip, "I'm not. She's not the boss of me."

Shinobi: "Maybe not the boss, but a boss. All cats are like that, alien or not." He looked down at the kitty, who looked very normal right now nomming out of her bowl.

Carol: Carol eyed the not-cat in question, "She can't make me do anything I don't want to do..."

Shinobi: "Mmmhmm." He went to get himself a cup of coffee as well. "So how was your day. No rogue Rogue sightings I assume?"

Carol: "So far, I'm safe here," she confirmed, "I was very bored."

Shinobi: "You could always go to court with me and be bored there." He gave her a grin and sipped his coffee.

Carol: "Nu-uh. I'd get you in trouble because I can't keep my mouth shut," she reminded him with a grin of her own.

Shinobi: "Or it might just bore you to sleep and you can have a great nap."

Carol: "Then I would get zero work done and everyone would get woken up by Fury yelling at me."

Shinobi: "I want to see Fury walk into court and get held in contempt for disrupting the courtroom." He laughed and bent to give the cat another stroke.

Carol: "I would pay good money to see him yell at a judge....." Carol agreed with a nod and an amused smile as she imagined the scene. "Hope your judge has stamina because Fury can go for a while."

Shinobi: "Oh, he does, and he'd be happy to slap Fury in handcuffs and have him dragged out. He's a monster." He went to another cabinet to rummage, looking for some painkillers to cut his headache.

Carol: "Damn, you're totally selling this to me. Was that your plan?"

Shinobi: He laughed. "Not really, but if you wanna get him off your back for a while it's an option."

Carol: "I'll hold it in reserve if he tries to file paperwork to send me to Alaska." She topped up her coffee.

Shinobi: "He's not gonna send you to Alaska. He likes having you to push your buttons."

Carol: "I'm sure he can find someone else's buttons to push," she wrinkled her nose.

Shinobi: "But maybe yours are just too much fun for him." Obi realized this was starting to sound dirty and made a face. "I got a headache," he said, changing the subject abruptly as he dug the bottle from the cabinet.

Carol: Carol's nose wrinkle became a disgusted face as the implications got worse and she was glad for the subject change. "Want me to order dinner? You can go get changed or whatever..."

Shinobi: "Yeah, that sounds good. I might take a shower. Get rid of the courtroom funk." He popped the pills and downed half the cup of coffee, hoping the caffeine would help.

Carol: "Sure... fancy anything in particular for dinner?" she lifted the pot of coffee offering him a top up, "Sometimes I wish we could go out somewhere because I'm in the house all day... but then I remember that cellphone cameras exist."

Shinobi: "Chinese? Eh, the tabloids are still all over Tony and his chick, so we fell off the front page." He held out his cup. "I could get dad to create something to fry every cell phone within a certain radius of us."

Carol: She happily topped up his coffee, "You realise I can do that, right? That's why SHIELD had to build me a special one. The trick is not breaking your own tech."

Shinobi: "Well... then I guess we just leave our phones at home, go out, and you fry everything that gets near us?" He gave her a grin and thanked her for the coffee.

Carol: "If you wanna take the risk, I'll be glad to get out of the building for a while," she set the pot down again and headed for the stairs. "Not that your house isn't really nice... but I'm so bored of the same walls all day."

Shinobi: "Sounds like fun, just watching people try to figure out what's happening when they get nosy." He started for the stairs as well, loosening his tie with one hand.

Carol: "Not gonna lie, I do like not having to manage my EM output... especially after it's been a while since I blew off some steam." She turned toward the guest room but didn't plan on getting changed right away because she wanted to see the results of her earlier shopping trip.

Shinobi: "Steam can be blown then," he said, then made another face, trying to decide if that was dirty or not. At least this time it didn't include Fury. "Anyway, I'm gonna shower, I'll see you in a few."

Carol: It wasn't really steam but it would help alleviate her own headache. "I promise to find something that isn't a nerd shirt to wear..."

Shinobi: "Nerd away, it doesn't bother me." He gave her a grin and then closed the bedroom door to get ready for his shower. Stripping his shirt off, he started for the bathroom.

Carol: Hearing his door close, Carol poked her own head back out into the hallway and waited.

Shinobi: He wandered between the bedroom and bathroom, gathering casual clothes and a towel, then pushed back the shower curtain and stopped. What in the hell? "Caaarol?" he called.

Carol: She tried not to laugh right away, "Yeah?" she called back, sounding as innocent as possible.

Shinobi: "Could you come here?" He called over his shoulder, eyes still on the floating brown monstrosity in the bathtub.

Carol: "Sure, just a sec..." she replied, ducking into her room to grab a shirt so it at least looked like she'd been trying to change and made her way to his bathroom.

Shinobi: Obi stood shirtless in the bathroom and pointed at the tub when he heard her coming. "I have questions."

Carol: "Questions?" she stopped in the doorway.

Shinobi: "Either your alien cat left a giant floater in the tub, or you did, and I'm not sure which one is worse."

Carol: She laughed, "Take another look."

Shinobi: He frowned at her laugh and looked back at the tub, then frowned at it. "Is that... what the hell? Is that supposed to be bigfoot?"

Carol: "It started out this big," She held her hands about a foot apart, "Honestly, I'm impressed."

Shinobi: "What the hell?" He laughed and shook his head. "I'm... where the hell did you even find something like that?"

Carol: "Uh..." she thought about it for a moment and did some GPS math, "Colorado I think..."

Shinobi: "This is what you're doing all day hanging out at my house?" He was still laughing, shaking his head.

Carol: "I got bored!" she defended herself, also laughing now, "And you should be grateful that's all I got from the squatch shop."

Shinobi: "There's a squatch shop?" He turned to look at her at that. "No shit?"

Carol: "Oh, you have no idea," the cluelessness made her laugh again, "I'm gonna have to fly you out there sometime."

Shinobi: "Why would people shop at a sasquatch shop!?" He laughed. "To Colorado? Isn't that bigfoot central? All woods and mountains?"

Carol: "Because Bigfoot merch is really popular?" She pointed out, "And yeah that's the story... they have a museum where I got that guy," she thumbed at the grow-a-squatch in the tub.

Shinobi: "A museum." He shook his head and crouched by the tub. "People are crazy." Reaching in, he gave the slimy thing a push and watched it slosh around. "You're crazy."

Carol: "Bored," she corrected, "Maybe a little crazy... but in a good way, right? Also, I promise if we're flying all the way to Colorado we'll use an actual plane."

Shinobi: "That's reassuring, I don't think I want to be carried that far." He gave the squatch turd another shove. "Does it just keep growing? Is it gonna be life size? Because we don't need another roommate."

Carol: She laughed, "Nah, he's been in there a while, I think he's reached maximum squatch. Want me to get him out of the way? Or you can use the guest bath and I'll just wait downstairs..."

Shinobi: "Yeah, I'll let you wrestle the slimeball," he said, standing back up and flicking the water from his fingers. "Then I'll rinse out the tub and take that shower."

Carol: She put her change of shirt over the shower rail before reaching into the tub to pull the plug. "Pretty sure he's not contagious..."

Shinobi: "No, but he's slimy," he warned, stepping back to let her get to the tub.

Carol: "You're such a girl..." she teased, rolling her eyes and sitting on the floor while she waited for enough water to drain from the tub to make it worth giving the tub-squatch a squeeze.

Shinobi: "I'm a girl?" He started to ask what that meant for her, but then remembered she was bisexual and was unsure if he should be offended or not.

Carol: "You're acting like he has cooties," she gestured at the squatch, "Would you be this squeamish about a bug?"

Shinobi: "Okay, first of all, most bugs in my bathtub are not slimy."

Carol: She laughed again, "So you'd be squeamish about bugs too? Too many legs?"

Shinobi: "I can handle bugs," he defended. "Even spiders."

Carol: "Just not sasquatch?" she grinned, "Anything else you're mortally afraid of?"

Shinobi: "I think other than brainwashing and Nathaniel Essex, sasquatch will do it." He made a face at her. "Not a big fan of any of those things."

Carol: "I guess I can't blame you for the other two things.... but the sasquatch thing came right out of left field," she reached out and patted his calf since she was still sat on the floor. "It's really easy to mock so... that's just life for you now."

Shinobi: "That's fine, I'm used to it. I married Hope Stark"
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Re: 5/14 Issue: The Floater

Post by Esynthia »

:sinister