Christmas 2016: Jessica and Shaw (and Broo, too!)

Check out what goes on between semesters here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Christmas 2016: Jessica and Shaw (and Broo, too!)

Post by Slarti »

Timelined Christmas day

<Jessica> Jess rolled onto her side and looked at the clock for a long moment before she registered what time it was. She wasn't sure she'd slept at all but eight o'clock was a perfectly reasonable time to get out of bed so that was what she did, pulling on her robe and running a hand through her hair before tying it shut and heading for the door.

<Jessica> She was half way across the living room before she noticed anything was amiss but, when she did, she stopped and turned slowly to face the very out of place item. There was a motorbike in the living room. A bright green motorbike with a big silver bow on it. "What the fuck?!"

<Shaw> Getting up didn't bother him, but her loud exclamation was what made Sebastian finally move the arm that'd been thrown over his eyes and look at the closed bedroom door. No other sounds followed, so he wasn't overly alarmed. Likely, Broo had disassembled his entertainment system or some such.

<Shaw> It only took a moment for that thought to get him up.

<Shaw> Not bothering to find a shirt, he rolled out of bed to discover what was the matter. He stopped short at the living room, not far behind her. "That sneaking harpy," he muttered.

<Jessica> "How did that even get in here!?" Jess backed up into him.

<Shaw> "Teleportation," he surmised, resting his hand on the small of her back and glaring at the motorcycle. "I should call security."

<Jessica> Jess' eyes narrowed for a moment before she reached to squeeze his hand then headed to the bike to see if there was a note. She always sent notes.

<Shaw> He hissed her name, then sighed, moving to join her and search the damned thing himself.

<Jessica> Jess found the note on a card dangling from the bow. She pulled it off and opened it, scowling as she read it. "'So sorry I accidentally destroyed your motorcycle with Xavier's mansion, have a new one, I am sure it is much better than your last. Merry Christmas. Viper.'"

<Shaw> Sebastian swore, violently.

<Jessica> Jess shushed him and pointed at the door to the guestroom where Broo could presumably hear them. "What are we going to do with it?"

<Shaw> Making a face at the door, then again at the motorcycle, he ran both hands through his hair, then crouched beside the machine. He inspected it, but didn't touch. "We're going to check it, to every last molecule, before we so much as touch it."

<Jessica> "How're we supposed to check it without touching it?" She tossed the card onto the coffee table.

<Shaw> He didn't answer, just stood and gave her a look before going directly to his work room and tapping in the code, resting his palm against the biometric lock.

<Jessica> Jess hoped he wasn't getting the creepy robot head because she was definitely already freaked out enough. "I need tea..." she turned for the kitchen.

<Shaw> Sebastian heard her, but didn't respond. He was sorting through the shelving looking for the scanning equipment. Coffee wouldn't be remiss, though, he realized.

<Jessica> Jess put the coffee machine on out of habit while she made the tea and considered whether or not she felt she could eat anything.

<Shaw> Returning to the living room, he shot a glance at the boy's closed door. Likely he would be a willing and eager assistant in this, but he doubted Jess would approve of it. So, he set the case on the coffee table and started sorting out what he needed.

<Jessica> Sharky was wide awake now with all the activity and he trotted over to the coffee table to help, tail wagging in enthusiasm. Jess leaned against the counter in the kitchen, watching the coffee pot while she waited on the kettle.

<Shaw> Sebastian gave the creature a long, assessing look. Finally, he sighed and gave it a pet, before getting up to start checking over the motorcycle. "Love, I don't suppose your pet can detect explosives or other agents?"

<Jessica> "I have absolutely no idea..." she frowned, "Ask him?" She poured him a cup of coffee once her tea was ready and brought both back into the living room.

<Shaw> Ask him? He gave the dog-shaped creature another glance, then shook his head and started to scan the motorcycle, beginning at the front wheel.

<Shaw> Glancing up at her return, he saw the coffee and smiled. "Thank you, koibito."

<Jessica> "You're welcome..." she sat down on the end of the coffee table to watch him, Sharky flopped down at her feet and rested his chin on her toes. "If it was a bomb she probably wouldn't have bothered with the bow..."

<Shaw> "It's impossible to tell what that lunatic would do," he muttered, still scanning. "Allow me my paranoia, please."

<Jessica> "Oh, by all means, scan the thing..." she frowned, chewing the corner of her lip for a long moment. "This is weird."

<Shaw> "Quite." He reached the back fender and adjusted the settings, moving forward again.

<Jessica> "Why would she send that to me? Even assuming it isn't a bomb... what does she expect to happen?"

<Shaw> "She's seducing you, of course." Sebastian paused to take a sip of his coffee, watching her over the rim.

<Jessica> Jess raised an eyebrow at him, not sure she should even dignify that with a vocal response.

<Shaw> His eyebrow rose in answer to hers.

<Jessica> "Seducing me with gifts? Because it's really going to work a second time after she blew up the first home I ever had!" She bit down on her lip and looked away before she finished that train of thought out loud.

<Shaw> "Of course. She's mad, and that's a very classical definition of madness - repeating patterns of behavior." Sebastian took another sip before returning to his work.

<Jessica> "I don't know if she's mad so much as... very damaged..." She frowned, "It's hard to explain...."

<Shaw> "Oh, I'm certain her mother just didn't love her enough," he scoffed. Scans complete, he dropped back into a crouch beside the motorcycle and popped open the engine compartment.

<Jessica> "No... it's not that... it's something in her tone of voice or in her eyes when she smiles.... it's just not quite right..." she shook herself, "What are you doing?"

<Shaw> That, he thought, would be the insanity. He'd seen it himself in the woman. "I'm just taking a look." In fact, he reached inside and started tinkering.

<Jessica> "Look with your eyes..." she frowned.

<Shaw> "You don't trust me?" There was amusement in his tone, and he kept poking, this time at the timing plate.

<Jessica> "I don't trust her. It may not be rigged to explode but that doesn't mean she hasn't booby trapped it to chop of your fingers."

<Shaw> Sebastian chuckled softly at that. "True enough, though at least that trap I would be able to identify. There's nothing here that shouldn't be." Still, he kept systematically removing bits of the engine with the assistance of a small power screwdriver. "Did you know that the first motorcycles were powered by steam?"

<Jessica> "No... I didn't... that doesn't sound like it was very fun...."

<Shaw> "Likely not. This, however, is a modified racing machine - barely street legal, I would guess." He sat back on his heels and looked it over. "At least it maintains the same profile."

<Shaw> "I suppose I should be relieved it's not powered by a miniature nuclear reactor."

<Jessica> "Probably... she does seem crazy enough for that to be a good idea to her." She put her tea down and went over to him, "What shall we do with it?"

<Shaw> He took a moment before answering, looking up at her questioningly. "What would you like to do with it?"

<Jessica> She shrugged, shaking her head, "I have no idea... I mean... I need a new one... but accepting this seems like saying what she did is okay... and it isn't... but not accepting it is kind of a waste..."

<Shaw> "I believe accepting it would be a poor choice, for precisely the reason you say." He cupped the curve of her bare calf and stroked her leg, urging her closer. "She wants to buy your acceptance, to make you feel indebted to her, to urge you to trust her."

<Shaw> Exactly the things she'd accused him of doing before, and perhaps, in the beginning, he had.

<Jessica> She did move closer to him, sliding her hand over his shoulders, "So what should we do? Give it away?"

<Shaw> He rested his head against her hip. "I'm sure your brother would enjoy disassembling it, or you could give it to one of your fellow students - let them benefit from her generosity." The sarcasm dripped from his last word and he smirked up at her.

<Jessica> "Pretty sure none of them are going to want to use it..." she sighed, crouching beside him. "I suppose Broo could take it apart..." even if it still felt like a waste.

<Shaw> "You know, I could build you something just as impressive as this, without the strings attached." Now that she was at his level, he studied her face with a small smile.

<Jessica> She returned the smile, sliding her arms around him properly for a hug, "That would be nice.... I'll miss my bike..."

<Shaw> "If he likes, your brother could assist me." He chuckled. "You as well, if you'd like."

<Jessica> "Isn't there a saying about too many cooks? I think it'd be easier if I stayed out of the way..."

<Shaw> "Very well, but you can have input, of course." Head tilted, he looked at her questioningly as he slid his arms around her. "Perhaps I can give this one AI."

<Jessica> Her eyebrows went up and she shook her head, "Noooooooooo I don't want something that goes at over a hundred miles an hour to think for itself!"

<Shaw> "It would seem to me that would be an excellent time for it to make its own decisions." His tone was completely serious.

<Jessica> She shook her head, "Nope. Nope nope nope."

<Shaw> "Nope?" Sebastian repeated it with a chuckle, his lips twitching.

<Jessica> "Noooo it's creepy, even if it's not a giant robot head."

<Shaw> "You do realize he's not just a head anymore, right, love?"

<Jessica> Jess stared at him, "I didn't need to know that!"

<Shaw> His grin broke free and broadened. "He walks."

<Jessica> "Oh my God!" She hid her face behind her hands, "That's fine, I didn't need to sleep ever again..."

<Shaw> Arms tightening around her, he buried his face in her hair, next to her ear. "I could ask him to come out here - introduce you?" He was only lucky Danger had returned the robot to him days before the attack on the mansion.

<Jessica> "Nooooooooo you're fine...."

<Shaw> He laughed.

<Jessica> Jess gave him a small zap. "Ass...."

<Shaw> This just made him groan in pleasure, though he was still amused.

<Jessica> She grinned a little and giggled, "Okay so.... Broo can cannibalise that thing and you can occupy yourself building me a new one. Everybody wins!"

<Shaw> "Precisely." He lifted one finger and tucked a lock of hair behind her ear.

<Jessica> "And it shan't be green." She insisted, "Because I much prefer red."

<Shaw> "Red it is," he agreed with a smirk. "Perhaps I should get a red car myself."

<Jessica> "I don't know... if you get a red car people might think we're being all sickly and coupley..."

<Shaw> "True. Black likely suits me better." He ran his fingers through her dyed hair.

<Jessica> She smiled, turning her face into his hand, "I think it suits me better."

<Shaw> He hummed, but whether in agreement or disagreement he wasn't sure. The blonde hair had been quite fetching, after all. "You suit me, no matter your hair color." He punctuated this with a wry wink, as not to turn the mood of the moment.

<Jessica> "Well good... but I might test that in the new year with something crazy so watch out."

<Shaw> Brushing off this pessimism with a shake of his head, he instead moved in to nip her earlobe. "Sarkissian has tested my patience for another reason, I must confess."

<Jessica> "She has?" She tilted her head on one side in a questioning manner but it had the added bonus of giving him better access.

<Shaw> "It was my plan to get you a new motorcycle for Christmas." He said it between teasing kisses beneath her ear.

<Jessica> "Aww... but now you can go one better and help Broo destroy one for Christmas."

<Shaw> "Yes, I suppose that does work out." He nibbled her throat. "I would be remiss if I didn't get you something for the day, however."

<Jessica> "You don't have to get me anything... you know I don't really understand this whole gift giving thing anyway..." She turned towards him, sliding a hand up into his hair and leaning to catch his lips with hers.

<Shaw> She effectively silenced him with the kiss, and he slanted his mouth to deepen it, fingers tangling in her hair as they found the back of her neck.

<Jessica> Pressing her forehead gently to his when they broke apart, she gave him a soft smile, cupping his cheek with her hand and giving him another light kiss before she straightened up again.

<Shaw> He sat back, stretching to reach his coffee again, then taking a sip as he studied the engine. "I suppose I should put those pieces back to let Broo have the full experience."

<Jessica> "Probably... it's only fair... we should leave the bow on for him too."

<Shaw> "I'll add a package of espresso to the gift," he said, giving her a sly side glance as he went back to work.

<Jessica> "Noooooo he'll dismantle the whole apartment!" She gave him another small zap behind his ear for that. "I'm going to take a shower."

<Shaw> This one made him swat his ear, then sneeze. "Woman..."

<Jessica> "Yeeees?" She paused in the doorway, leaning back and looking over her shoulder at him.

<Shaw> He just returned her deceptively guileless expression, then smiled.

<Jessica> "Love you too," she grinned and straightened up again, disappearing into the bedroom.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Re: Christmas 2016: Jessica and Shaw (and Broo, too!)

Post by steyn »

As Broo opened his door and walked out, he cocked his head at the motorcycle in the living room. He just turned, went back into his room and came back out with the new toolkit he found at his bed's foot end. The insect boy went on to his knees next to the motorcycle, and paused for a moment as he considered... things.

"I bet Mr Shaw's artificial intelligence would love to take control of this as well. I think I'll add the necessary parts... computer there... receiver there would fit... yeah, he'll be able to take it over like that... hmm... and maybe a better power supply as well... oh oh, miniature reactor, always wanted to make one of those." The boy said to himself. "This Christmas thing is fun!"
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Post by Svartfreja »

<Jessica> Jess sat on the bed frowning at her suitcase and wondering why she was even packing at all. Most of her things weren't really suitable for winter. She picked up her spider plush and went to make a cup of tea instead.

<Elizabeth> Elizabeth wanted one last chance to spend time with Jess before new years after such a horrible Christmas so, bearing bags and treats, she made her way to Jess and Sebastian's penthouse to knock on the door. She'd spent the day shopping for *normal* clothes and today wasn't passing for a stripper in jeans and a pretty top.

<Jessica> Hearing the buzzer, Jess poked her head back out of the kitchen in time to see Sharky climbing the wall to see who it was. She giggled and went to peel him off before looking herself, "Oh, hey... come on up." She pressed the entry button before heading back to the kitchen to get a second mug for tea.

<Elizabeth> Going through the buzzed door she managed a small smile, trying to look mildly happy about how things were going, now all she had to do was hold it. Getting the swazy lift up, she relaxed and put the bags down, rubbing her fingers together to warm them up, her new winter stuff packed away in the suitcase unfortunately.

<Elizabeth> At the top floor she scooped up the bags and went up to the door, knocking it carefully with her new boots.

<Jessica> Jess set Sharky down and watched him scamper to the door ahead of her, in full corgi adorable mode, to see who it was. She followed after him and opened the door, "Hey, I wasn't expecting company... I just put the kettle on though so good timing!" She gave the other girl a smile.

<Elizabeth> Elizabeth smiled at her friend and giggled as she felt sharky climbing up her leg as usual. "Hey, yeah figured I'd come visit before you headed back to blighty for new years, I'm staying here while my knee gets better." Well, so she could avoid the plane flight, actually, she thought to herself as she stepped in.

<Jessica> "You could get Anna to heal it for you... I'm sure she would..." She bent to pull Sharky off of her and close the door, "Let her get in before you say hello!" She gave him a cuddle, "Sorry, he's a bit over excited today."

<Elizabeth> "Nah, poor girl's taxed enough as it is, besides I just need to rest it for a few days and I'll be fine." Chuckling a little as the dog was scooped off her and she got to follow Jess into the kitchen to put the two bags down. "It's ok, I don't mind in the slightest, he's too cute and adorable to mind."

<Jessica> "He is indeed," she set Sharky down and he skittered back into the living room to find a toy. "So I guess you're staying in New York for the holidays? Or... what's left of them anyway?"

<Elizabeth> "Yeah, my boss has a spare room above the club that the girls normally use for breaks. She's shoved a camp bed in there for me and I've paid her a bit of rent and took on a couple extra shifts before we all head over to wassit, massachues? That place SHIELD gave us." Putting the bags down she picked the one up and handed it to Jess.

<Elizabeth> "Your Christmas present by the way, the original one got, well, lost in the .... yeah. So late merry Christmas."

<Jessica> "Danvers County, Massachusetts." Jess filled in, "Former insane asylum... so we'll all fit right in." She offered a small grin, taking the bag, "Awww, thanks... you didn't have to do that... you know I don't really understand the whole gift giving thing anyway..."

<Elizabeth> "Yeah well, my first year and you've really been there for me and supported me despite my freakouts and meds so figured I ought to say 'thank you'." She fiddled with the other bag strap as she kept up the forced smile for her friend and sat down on a chair. "I'll be perfect for there...."

<Jessica> "Everyone will be, I've been saying it since I got here. That place has always been an insane asylum..." She finished making the tea and offered Elizabeth her cup, "How're you holding up?"

<Elizabeth> "Thanks." She took the cup, wrapping herself around it. "You want the honest answer or tactful? Tactful is 'yeah I'm fine and my knee hurts a bit, can't be arsed with moving and I'm going to miss my job'."

<Jessica> "And the honest answer?" Jess hooked a stool with her foot and pulled it over, taking a seat opposite the other girl as Sharky dropped a ball at her feet. She picked it up and tossed it back out into the living area for him.

<Elizabeth> "I couldn't feel worse right now, sober, no drugs and my head's just getting worse because, on top of all the old crap, there's all the new crap from having the school coming down around my head and the things I did to get out of there..." Head dropping, she stared at the surface of the tea, smile gone.

<Jessica> Jess reached to put a hand on Elizabeth's shoulder, "Don't feel bad for anything you had to do to get out of there alive, okay? Never feel bad for that."

<Elizabeth> Her head dropped a little then. "I.... I killed people Jess, I knew what I was doing when I did it and I felt them go out... I felt my power wipe them out of the way and their bodies crumple under it...." Her stare was as blank as her voice sounded, tea untouched in her hand.

<Jessica> Jess put her tea down and got up to put her arm around her properly. "You're not the only one that's killed people."

<Elizabeth> Her dead eyes looked up at Jess. "I don't think it's the first time I've done it though...." Her voice trailed off and her face seemed to lose focus for a moment before she jerked and shook her head, spilling the tea everywhere. "Fuck!"

<Jessica> Jess reached for a towel to mop up the spilled tea, "Here... look... don't worry about it... any of it. You have to do some awful things in this life to survive, you don't always mean to do those things. Sometimes they just happen because you're scared... but those people would have killed you if you hadn't stopped them, that's a fact. Do not feel guilty for saving your life."

<Elizabeth> "Yeah I guess...." She shook a little, not really hearing the words, instead remembering the blood pouring from Hisako's eye socket as the tea dripped off the side.

<Jessica> Jess gently patted the tea puddle with the towel to soak it up, leaving the towel on the table and hooking Elizabeth's chin with her finger to turn her face towards her. "Look... When I was a kid... I used to sneak out of wherever me and my dad were living at the time, while he was asleep, to go and look around." She glanced away for a moment before looking at her again.

<Jessica> "One night... I got followed by a man. He followed me down an alley and then he tried to force himself on me. That was the night I found out I could do this..." she charged a venom blast in her free hand. "It was completely an accident, but I killed him... I heard his heart stop, heard the blood slow down and stop, the breath leave his lungs. I will never forget that. But if I hadn't done it... I don't want to think about what could have happened then..."

<Elizabeth> Elizabeth felt frozen to the chair holding Jess's gaze and listening to the girl be so fucking damn calm about killing someone. Is that how you got after you did it a couple of times? It's just survival? In her mind she watched the plane's wing crumple up again and winced as the whispering turned to screaming.

<Elizabeth> "Nothing good.... that is a better reason to kill.... rather than ...." She took a deep breath though it didn't stop the shaking. "Can I ask a favour please?" Changing the subject to try and get her mind off the begging at the back of it.

<Jessica> "Rather than saving your life and the lives of those you care about? I can't think of a better reason than that." She gave the girl a hug, "Of course you can."

<Elizabeth> Elizabeth sat through the hug and gingerly returned it, wishing she'd just lied now when she'd been asked rather than bring it up and ruin the mood. Grabbing the other bag, she pulled out two letters and a parcel. "Could you post these when you get to London? It'll be faster than posting them from here at the moment."

<Jessica> "Yeah, I can do that... there's a post box at the end of my street... are you going to be okay?" She took the items and went to put them on the counter.

<Elizabeth> "I-I'll be fine.... I'm just freaking out a lot at the moment. I'm not on my meds, lost them all in the... thing...." She forced another smile onto her face, though this one was shaky. "The letters include one to my old doctors back in england so I can sort out getting my meds supplied here... I can get back on them and be fine again." Meds, the meds would make it all better because McCoys meds hadn't worked.

<Jessica> "Yeah I can do that... don't worry about it... are you sure meds are the answer, though?" She crouched in front of her again, "Have you tried just talking to someone about it?"

<Elizabeth> "I've.... I've been seeing a shrink since I was a kid, Jess... just never told anyone about it... it hasn't helped, neither has talking to my new one over here. The meds make the voices I hear quieter and stop me freaking out so much... talking just reminds me and that makes me worse."

<Jessica> "What if they're not voices, though? What if it's just your powers?" she chewed her lip, "Maybe what you're hearing aren't voices but stray thoughts plucked out of the heads of randomers because you haven't learned how to block them out? No one would blame you for feeling like you're hearing things..."

<Elizabeth> She took a deep breath and shook her head. "The voices I hear.... fuck I can't believe I'm telling anyone... it's...it's the sound of my mother and brother dying during an accident I was in, and the sounds of the people who died around me. The rest of it? My father blaming the accident on me, that arguement on a loop. It's not people... its memories."

<Jessica> Jess sighed, reaching to take Elizabeth's hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. "I know what it's like to lose people you love in an accident that you walked away from... Sometimes I hear things too... something happens and I remember... and it hurts... it really hurts... if the meds help then... then take them... I guess if I had the option, I'd do that too..."

<Elizabeth> Elizabeth's mouth twitched into a tiny smile before fading, she knew about Jess's little flash backs, she was just grateful the girl didn't have it as bad as her with the full auditory halluciantions. It wasn't occassionally, it was all the time, all she ever heard. "I will.... I just need more, stupid doctors and all their paperwork."

<Jessica> "You never know... things might get easier now with SHIELD actively helping us... maybe they know some people... can help you or something... I don't know... but you know where I am if you need anything..." she chewed her lip, "Going to have to figure out what to do now though..." The new building was a long way from Manhattan.

<Elizabeth> "I'll be fine, just need meds and more therapy. Can't imagine SHIELD have a special department for psycho mutants anyway, aside from a cell block." She chuckled a little then. "Commute? School during the week and come here at weekends?" Anything to get her mind away from it.

<Jessica> "I don't know... it's a bit far..." she shook her head, "We'll figure something out..." she gave her a small smile, "And we'll be going to school at a former asylum, seems like just the right kind of place for help." She offered a small grin for that. "Happy pills, pudding cups and dominos are in your future."

<Elizabeth> "So sedatives, fuel and ammunition?" He smile got a little bigger then as she looked at the girl crouched in front of her.

<Jessica> She giggled, "You got it!" She looked around the kitchen, "Speaking of... I baked. Want some cookies?"

<Elizabeth> "I think cookies would be good...." She smiled a little more and rubbed her arm through the long sleeves. "Certainly does smell nice in here."

<Jessica> "Cookies and more tea." She straightened up slowly, reaching to give Elizabeth's shoulder a rub. "The offer still stands though... if you ever need a break back in London, just say the word and you can use my place."

<Elizabeth> Elizabeth just fell back into the shoulder rub and melted. "I think I'll get used to the new school first... then see about that break.... once I get new papers, haha. Thanks, Jess, this means a lot."

<Jessica> "Any time, we're friends, right?" She gave her a proper smile, "Everything'll work out."
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Bruce> With a long groan as the Skype box on the borrowed computer did the same, shutting down and taking his parents away again, Bruce sat back, muttering a curse at how uncomfortable the chair he was sat in felt against his body.

<Bruce> Truth was, it wasn't the chair. Same as it wasn't his clothes, the place he was in, the food he was eating there, or the people he was around. It was none of those things, but somehow all of them at once. 'Uncomfort' had become the entire world. 'Unbeautiful' and 'unerving' had become his day-to-day life. Colour seemed washed out, taste seemed bland, smiles - even frowns - seemed hollow now.

<Bruce> The world had little to no life left in it, at least for him. Fitting, too; since he took so many away from it. Since those he'd done that to had taken so many more away themselves.

<Bruce> Still, it was hardly 'justice'. Cessily Kincaid's words aside he knew that there was no 'good' or 'evil' in this. Just hate and fear. Mindless carnage that tore lives apart carelessly. And in its wake only damage. Removing his glasses, Bruce rubbed his eyes. God but he was tired...

<Jessica> It had taken Jess some time to find the building but once she had, she went inside and asked around for the location of the person she wanted to see, being directed to a small room. She knocked on the door gently, moving partly into the room, "Bruce...?"

<Bruce> "Wh'ay aye...." Bruce deadpanned, glancing over his shoulder as he slipped his glasses into his shirt's chest pocket. He mentally registered again that it wasn't 'his' shirt; just a borrowed bit of clothing. He had no items left. "Jess Drew." he waved, "Alreet?"

<Jessica> She nodded and shrugged at the same time, "Well enough... how are you?" she moved a little further into the room, eyes wandering over the furniture. The place struck her as some kind of immitation of Xavier's but it had none of the warmth.

<Bruce> With a nonchalant shrug, Bruce stood, pacing over to the window and looking out on the bitter, cold world beyond. He leaned a hand against it, looking past his ghost-like reflection onto the icy grounds of Cassandra Nova's school and frowned, his mind thinking the same as Jessica's own.

<Jessica> "I've been looking for you..." Jess broke the somewhat tense and awkward silence, "I wanted to talk to you..."

<Bruce> Bruce looked back at her again, "...yer off te' a good start then." he said simply, mirthless smile offered alongside his comment, empty of his usual humour, "Anythin' specific?"

<Jessica> She nodded, moving over to him carefully. "Wanted to thank you... well... your alter-ego really...."

<Bruce> "How? Send the daf'-cunt a postcard?" Bruce snorted, though not unkindly, "I'm sure it's well happy yer' ok...couldn' possibly commen', but..."

<Jessica> "He saved my life... more than once... helped me get Sebastian and Monet out too... I didn't know it was you... not til later..." she fiddled with the cuff of her blousse.

<Bruce> "Welp, secret's out." he shrugged again, care-free as the last, "Really dinnae have much t'say on it...."

<Jessica> "And you're okay?" She stopped beside him at the window, "What are you going to do now?"

<Bruce> Swallowing dryly, Bruce turned to look at her. He didn't really have an answer for that, not one he was sure on, anyway: "...I'm gan' h'yem." he scoffed, again mirthless, "Goin' back t' the fam'."

<Jessica> "Just for the break?" she turned her gaze from the view outside the window to look at him, "Or for good?"

<Bruce> "Haven' decided." he responded shortly, his own gaze going right back to where hers had just left from.

<Jessica> "Don't leave..." she looked down at the floor, "I know we haven't exactly been friends... but I can't stand the idea of any one of us throwing this opportunity away because of her... because of me..."

<Bruce> Bruce rolled his eyes, "Pegged ye' for 'intelligent'..." he sighed, "Jessie: look at it. There's no 'opportunity', ya daft bastard. Death isn' an 'opportunity'. It was a school full o' sociopaths and retards, torn down by a bunch of other sociopaths an' retards." he grit his teeth, taking a deep breath.

<Bruce> "An' listen t' yerself an' all: 'because o' me'. Yer' part of the reason this shit happened an' yer sayin' 'well, it's still worth it'." he shook his head, "It isn', is it? Not really."

<Jessica> "I didn't mean that..." She turned back towards the window, "Death isn't the opportunity... but we shouldn't let it tell us how to live our lives. We shouldn't let her win like that... otherwise what's the point? What was the point of all of it if we just give up now? What were we fighting for?"

<Bruce> "Good fuckin' question." Bruce answered, "What were YOU fightin' for, Jessie? You 'X-Men' and yer' 'great mission', what was yer' purpose? Who were YOU SPECIFICALLY fightin' for yerself? Them? Shaw? Yer' bestie who walked in and murdered everyone?"

<Jessica> She cringed away from him when his voice increased in volume, trying to protect herself from the words. "For my family... my home..." she sniffed, turning her back on him. "I know it was my fault... and you're well within your rights to be angry with me, everyone is... but that was my home too. It was the first place I ever felt like I belonged and the only family I have."

<Bruce> "So ye' helped yer enemy kill them?" Bruce shook his head, "Listen t' that......are ye' fucking retarded or what? 'Yer only family' and ye' sell 'em out?" he tensed a fist, "And I saved you?"

<Jessica> "I didn't help her! Not on purpose!" She pushed her hands through her hair, "She asked questions all the time and confused me and I upset her... it's my fault because I upset her... I threw everything she offered back in her face..."

<Bruce> Sighing, Bruce rubbed his face, "Well, thanks fer' doin' that, aye...." he grumbled, moving away from her, "Did a great job there...."

<Jessica> "I didn't mean to!" She hid her face behind her hands, "I didn't want any of this to happen! Why would I do that? Why would I want my friends and my family to go through that? Why would I want people to die? People I loved..."

<Bruce> "So, what did ye mean t' do? Ye had some kinda special idea in mind?"

<Jessica> "No, I-... I don't know!" She sank into a chair, "Please don't... please, I already feel awful..." She'd barely slept since it happened and the exhaustion was showing, "I knew not to cross her, she warned me often enough... but I had to leave... and I couldn't leave them there... I shouldn't have called the school..."

<Bruce> Bruce shrugged again, a frustrated sigh leaving him, "Well, that's good, isn' it? Ye' 'feel awful'. Which is well helpful to all the dead people a' had t' walk past and leave lyin' there 'cause you and yer' fancy-pants boyfriend cannit be trusted t' make decent mates..."

<Jessica> Her head snapped up, "Sebastian had nothing to do with it! I was the idiot that let her take me in and don't think for a minute I wish I hadn't been so stupid! People I loved died in that attack! My first home was destroyed! This shouldn't have happened but what was I supposed to do? Leave my friends in her care? Leave my brother there? Let her attack city after city? How could I?"

<Bruce> "Aye, the needs o' the many, eh?" Bruce looked back at her, "So...now yer sayin' y' did right?"

<Jessica> "I don't know..." she bowed her face into her hands, resting her elbows on her knees. "There's no right or wrong in this... things just happened... it's her fault more than anyone else's..."

<Bruce> With a loud roar of frustration, Bruce turned around, flipping a bedside table across the floor with a thunderous crash, eyes glinting emerald for just a moment. The sound subsiding, he immediately felt terrible for doing so, the lamp atop it had shattered and the drawers had been strewn across the carpet. He sat down on the bed, hands covering his face.

<Jessica> Jess yelped and curled up protectively at his outburst, peeking out at him from behing her knees, "What do you want me to say?"

<Bruce> Not answering, Bruce just looked away at the damage he'd caused, unsure himself. Maybe he wanted her to say she was responsible, and she had; partly, at least. But he didn't feel any better. Maybe she, like he, was just blaming herself for what she did in a moment of weakness and panic; a domino midway down the line, blaming itself for the person knocking it over, and the damage it caused in the end.

<Bruce> "...I don't even know." he all but whispered, "...I cannit do this anymore."

<Jessica> She sighed, getting to her feet and going over to him, reaching to put a hand on his shoulder, "I'm sorry for my part... I am... I don't know if there's anything I can do to help but I will do what I can..."

<Bruce> "There's nothin' TO do, d'ye not get it?" he looked back up at her face, "Jessie, it's all gone. And that's the end. Nothin' else to it."

<Jessica> "It doesn't have to be the end... We survived, Xavier's message survived... SHIELD have given us somewhere to live, offered their help... it doesn't have to stop here... we don't have to let her win..."

<Bruce> Shrugging, Bruce shook his head, pushing her gently away, "Yeah, well a'm out." he stated firmly, "An' that's that."

<Jessica> "I'm sorry to hear that... really..." she dropped her hand to her side. "Take your break... maybe you'll feel differently after the new year... I hope so..."

<Bruce> "Ye' can forget it." he stood, going for the door, "I'm leavin', and there isn' a damn thing ye' can say that'll stop me. Fuck the lot of y', fuck this freakshow, and fuck tha' Hydra bitch too; I'm OUT."

<Jessica> She went after him catching his arm, "Whatever your feelings are right now... don't burn your bridges... I'm really grateful to you for what you did... I know people are questioning their actions, everything they did to save the lives of others... but don't... don't do that to yourself. You saved lives. Focus on that. Focus on that and be proud of it."

<Bruce> Bruce shook free of her grasp, pushing the door open, "Tell that t' yer friends, Drew." he spat over his shoulder, departing as soon as he'd done so.

<Jessica> Jess sighed heavily, watching him walk away, "I don't have any friends..." she muttered, shaking her head. At least she'd done what she came to do.

IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Jessica> Jess closed the front door rather more forcefully than intended as she was glad to be out of the cold wind. Taking off her hat and gloves, she left them on an end table while she removed her coat, "It is freezing out there! The queue in the post office was ridiculous but I completed my errand so now we can do whatever you want." She called through the house to Sebastian and Broo wherever they were hiding.

<Jessica> After hanging her coat up, she went to sit on the bottom step of the stairs and take off her boots.

<Shaw> "I think you have it," he chuckled. "And I think you have me beaten. This time." Setting aside the controller, Sebastian got up, leaving Broo to his game. "There shall be a reckoning. Later."

<Shaw> With a fond nod to the small insect boy, he started down the stairs to greet Jessica. "Indeed. I was wondering if you'd gotten lost."

<Jessica> She tilted her head back to smile up at him, "Not lost... nearly blown away by the wind though." Feet finally freed, she got up, picking up her boots to put them out of the way. "Have you been having fun?"

<Shaw> "Your brother has quite an aptitude for gaming, it would seem. I think we've discovered his next obsession." He followed her, hands in the pockets of his own loose-fitting jeans.

<Jessica> "Well it's sure to be less destructive than the last..." she gave him another smile as she headed into the kitchen to put the kettle on.

<Shaw> Still trailing her and feeling rather like a lost dog for doing so, he moved in behind her and freed his hands to set them on her hips, sliding around to meet at her stomach and pull her back against him. His mouth dropped to the crook of her neck to press a kiss there.

<Jessica> She leaned back into him, tilting her head to give him better access to her neck and resting her hands on his. "I feel better for being here... do you?"

<Shaw> "It's relaxing, to be sure," he said, murmuring between kisses.

<Jessica> She smiled, turning her head to nuzzle him gently, "It's nice... to be away from all of that... I think I needed this..."

<Shaw> "I'm glad the rest is doing you good." He'd set up a couple of meetings while he was there, but for the most part he was enjoying the holiday as well.

<Jessica> "I've been thinking about what happens after this... but I don't know what to do..." She turned towards him, sliding her arms around his waist.

<Shaw> Hands tracing up her back, he tilted his head questioningly as he looked down at her.

<Jessica> "I don't want to abandon them... not now... but things are so tense now... and the new building is so far away from New York..." Her eyes found the collar of his shirt to focus on rather than his face.

<Shaw> Sebastian took her face in his hands and tilted it up to his. "Look at me, love."

<Jessica> She dragged her eyes up to look at his face, "I don't want to leave you behind..."

<Shaw> "I, of course, would prefer you didn't," he said softly, studying her face and tracing his thumb over her lower lip. There was the smallest hint of a smile on his face.

<Jessica> "Then what are we supposed to do?" She curled her fingers around the fabric of his shirt. "It's too far for me to stay at the penthouse now..."

<Shaw> "I know," he sighed, fingertips exploring her face. Finally, he closed his eyes and rested his forehead against hers.

<Jessica> "So what happens now? Will you come with me or stay in New York?" she closed her eyes too, resting against him.

<Shaw> "My business is in New York," he started.

<Jessica> "I know... I won't make you choose..." the kettle boiled so she withdrew from him to make the tea. "Do you want tea?"

<Shaw> "When in Rome..." he smirked. "So, yes, please." He leaned on the counter to watch her. "It's not a hard choice, koibito."

<Jessica> She pulled a mug over to make him some, "It isn't?"

<Shaw> "Not at all. I've told you what I want for us." If they went out later, he'd get his coffee then.

<Jessica> "I know... but it's not forever... the school I mean... and it's so far away from your work... it's okay..."

<Shaw> "I pose this question to you - if I move to Boston, will you trust them to keep you and your brother safe? After what happened? Or, would you trust me?"

<Jessica> "Sebastian, you know I trust you, you've always done right by me..." she reached up to touch his cheek gently, "And we don't know that SHIELD will do any better, I'm sure they'll try... I can't decide for Broo, I don't have the right... but I would stay with you if I could."

<Shaw> He laid his hand over hers, tilting his head into her palm. "Then I move to Boston."

<Jessica> "Are you absolutely sure you want to go through all that trouble? Just for me?"

<Shaw> "In fact, 'just for you' would be the reason for it." He smirked.

<Jessica> "I hope you don't feel like I'm pushing you into it..." She drew him into a hug.

<Shaw> "Not at all. You can help me home hunt." Sebastian welcomed the embrace and returned it tightly, nuzzling her hair.

<Jessica> "I'd like that..." she turned her face into his shoulder and breathed him in. "I wonder what this new place is like..."

<Shaw> "A madhouse," he said, unable to keep a straight face.

<Jessica> She giggled, "So just like the old place then." She prodded him in the ribs, "But I meant with SHIELD running everything... or helping or whatever they're doing..."

<Shaw> "Yes, their role's not entirely clear. It will certainly require a tad more discussion, although there aren't a tremendous amount of options."

<Jessica> "Well that woman that showed up at Christmas seemed okay so maybe she'll answer some questions..." Jess gave a shrug, "She seemed more focused on you than Cessily so maybe she won't mind talking to you." She gently freed herself from him to get the milk for the tea.

<Shaw> "Yes, which is something I find troubling, after a fashion. It's not a terribly well-kept secret that I helped fund the school, though Xavier still has a rather substantial personal fortune at his disposal." He frowned, rubbing his fingers over the edge of the counter.

<Jessica> "Why is that troubling?" she shook the milk at him in question over whether he wanted any, "She obviously thinks you're an authority figure and you are... people respect you."

<Shaw> He made a slight face at the milk and shook his head. "The school is Xavier's, but with his condition-" Sebastian stopped himself, shaking his head more vehemently. "It is not my place."

<Jessica> "Someone needs to step in, who would you rather do it?" she added milk to her own tea before returning it to the fridge. "And in the mean time use it to your advantage and get some answers."

<Shaw> Sebastian ran a hand through his hair. "I've already taken some measures to find answers, using my own techniques, of course."

<Jessica> "Because using conventional methods is sooo outdated?" She leaned against the counter and picked up her tea. "You could try both ways? Then you'd know if they lied later."

<Shaw> "Quite outdated - why do anything in the open when you can use subterfuge?" He bared teeth at her, nose wrinkled again though this time in amusement.

<Jessica> She smirked and shook her head, "Will you at least try and do it the front door way? Please? They might not be trying anything shifty... you never know..."

<Shaw> "I'll consider both approaches," he relented, though his expression had softened into a genuine smile.

<Jessica> "Thank you. The last thing we need is you getting in trouble with the government for bumping off the wrong person on the sly." She took a sip of her tea, smirking around her cup.

<Shaw> "Well, I hadn't planned on authorizing that," he said, honestly surprised.

<Jessica> "I should hope not!" she prodded him with her foot lightly so he knew she was mostly kidding, "Had enough drama..."

<Shaw> Laughing softly, he picked up his own mug and took a sip of the hot, sweet tea. It was acceptable. "I have hired an inside asset, of sorts."

<Jessica> "What kind of asset?" She straightened up, holding a hand out to him.

<Shaw> Taking her hand, he pulled her to him and smirked down at her. "A bodyguard who won't appear to be one, of course."

<Jessica> "A bodyguard for who?" She gave his hand a squeeze before lifting it to her lips and kissing the back of it.

<Shaw> "Everyone, in fact." The mirror of one of his signature moves made him grin. "He has specific orders that only I guard yours."

<Jessica> "Oh good, well that's reassuring?" She led the way across the hall to the living room. "You think one person will be enough?"

<Shaw> "No, which is why he's not alone, but he shall be the hidden asset." He let her lead him by the hand, hearing her brother upstairs hooting at the game as they passed the stairs.

<Jessica> "So you don't trust SHIELD... which part about it do you not trust?" She sat down on the sofa, drawing her legs up and folding them beneath her. "I mean... they sort of pushed their way in but at least they're doing something instead of just sitting back and watching...."

<Shaw> Joining her on the sofa, he sipped the tea and rested his arm along the back of the sofa behind her. "It could be a subtle attempt at conscription, it could be many things."

<Jessica> "It could be them wanting to help us when we really need it because we've helped them out so much even though we didn't have to." Frankly, even she was amazed at her ability to be this optimistic after everything that had happened.

<Shaw> The cup froze on its way to his lips and he looked over at her, both eyebrows up in question. "Who are you, and what have you done with Jessica?"

<Jessica> "I swear I'm not a pod person," she laughed, "I just think that we're all so on edge that we should just take a step back before we judge them for something that might be completely what it appears to be."

<Shaw> "My, how delightfully normal of you, love," he laughed as well, shaking his head and finally taking that sip of tea.

<Jessica> "I know, even I'm surprised..." she rolled her eyes a little, "I want to try and be... I don't know... different..." She shook her head, "Happy?" No that wasn't what she meant either. She frowned at herself. "I don't know what I'm saying..." she curled around her mug and took another sip of tea herself.

<Shaw> "I'm just teasing you." He lifted his hand from the back of the sofa to pick up a lock of her hair. "It's healthy to try to find the brighter side, and I do hope SHIELD's intentions are as advertised. However, I want to be prepared."

<Jessica> She turned her face towards his hand, watching him play with her hair, "I know... and I get it... I just... I suppose I want to try and detatch myself from all the... before stuff...."

<Shaw> "I agree." His voice was softer now, eyes flicking between watching his own hand and her face.

<Jessica> "People blame me... I blame me... But there's nothing to do about it now except move on... there's no point apologising anymore... it'll never be enough..."

<Shaw> Sebastian sighed. "No, it's best to move on." And if Sarkissian thought to take her from him again, there would be no punches pulled. Never again.

<Jessica> She nodded, setting her tea down on the small coffee table and taking his hand from her hair to hold between hers in her lap. "I need to try harder... to make friends... I was thinking that maybe... we can take our time finding a place and just move in to wherever they have set up for the school now... for a little while... to help out and get used to the place, you know?"

<Shaw> He was silent for a time, thinking and staring down at their hands.

<Jessica> She wrinkled her nose a little, "You don't like it...."

<Shaw> "No, it's not that-" He stopped himself and smiled a little. "Though, I suppose it is. While your school represents the future of mutantkind, I would rather like to throttle some of them on a daily basis. This includes the staff," he added with a smirk.

<Jessica> "Well... that's probably normal..." she nodded mostly to herself, "I just feel so disconnected... and you know I was already thinking of moving back to the school after Christmas... I feel like it's even more important now... after we lost so many..." she looked down at his hand in her lap, squeezing her eyes shut. "I need to make friends..."

<Shaw> "I understand." Balancing his mug on his thigh, he reached over and squeezed her top hand. "I'll do it."

<Jessica> She glanced up at him, flashing him a small smile, "Thank you... I really appreciate it...."

<Shaw> "Of course." He returned the smile, uncertain if she saw it as she was hiding from him again now.

<Jessica> "I need to fix my life... this side of things is fine... it's better than fine, even... it's great... but the rest... no job, no friends... well one friend..." she hoped Bobby was alright.

<Shaw> "And you have your brother," he reminded her, as a thud from above reminded them both of his presence.

<Jessica> She nodded, "He's part of the part that works... this... you and I and him... but I want to feel like this everywhere..."

<Shaw> "We'll give it a shot then, yes?" He looked up toward the ceiling at another muffled thump and reclaimed his tea before it spilled. "It will be interesting to see what they do to this place."

<Jessica> She nodded, "It could be fun..." she gave him a cheeky smirk, "Maybe it's haunted."

<Shaw> It didn't have quite the impact it would have a few months ago, but he still rolled his eyes and made a disgusted sound. "If any place would be - I understand it's an existing government property, so they can requisition it easily enough for whatever purposes they have in mind, but really."

<Jessica> "Well we can do all the poking around we like while we're house hunting and intimidate some SHIELD agents into spilling the beans, could be fun...." She grinned wickedly, "I haven't purposefully scared anyone with my pheromones in a while..."

<Shaw> "Oh, well, that does sound intriguing then," he said, matching her grin. "A little exploration would be ... dare I say fun?"

<Jessica> "It could be so much fun! And something to do when the urge to throttle the people we'll be living with gets a little too strong."

<Shaw> "You're most persuasive, love." He cocked his head, expression still playful. "Are you certain you aren't practicing some pheromones on me right now?"

<Jessica> "I'm certain," she shifted, stretching her legs out to put her feet in his lap, "I'm just using my feminine wiles... I can use my pheromones if you'd prefer..."

<Shaw> "If your brother weren't here, temptress." Again he found himself balancing the tea so he could work a hand under the hem of her pantleg to reach the smooth skin.

<Jessica> "My brother is upstairs with the wonderful distraction of video games that you so kindly provided..." she gently prodded him with one of her feet.

<Shaw> He didn't need a second invitation. Sebastian picked up the mug and leaned over her feet to place it on the coffee table, then shifted to crawl up onto the seat. He sat astride her legs, his own folded beneath him, and grinned down at her.

<Jessica> She caught the front of his shirt with her hand and tugged him down towards her, sliding her arms around his shoulders when he was close enough. "I love you."

<Shaw> "And," he started, pausing to nip at her lower lip as he worked his arms beneath her, "I'll never tire of hearing you say that."

<Jessica> "Well good," she arched her back to make his task easier, "Because I'll never tire of saying it to you... and I hope you won't tire of saying it to me too."

<Shaw> "I won't." Meeting her eyes, he smiled and lost himself in them. "I love you."

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Broo> "And done," Broo said, holding up the remote. "There we go, working again... and better as well... turned the tv remote into a universal. Too many remotes in the house." he quickly mumbled, having just finished a cup of coffee. A small one. "Anything else that needs fixing? Or made better?" he asked.

<Jessica> "Uh...." Jess looked around the room at the mess 'fixing' the remote had made, "You could tidy?"

<Shaw> For his part, Sebastian just took the remote from the diminutive bug boy and inspected it. "I commend your enthusiasm."

<Broo> "Just don't hold the top two and bottom two buttons down at the same time... stuff might explode." He said, getting up and looking around the room. "I need a butler bot to clean up for me." he mused and started picking things up.

<Shaw> Eyebrows up, he popped off the back again to check that button configuration. "Well, that's something I've never seen before. Impressive. Most impressive."

<Jessica> "... Impressive? Something that might blow up? You're not supposed to be encouraging him to weaponise household electronics!" Jess face-palmed.

<Broo> "Might. It might blow up. Just small percentage that the cross connection would malfunction. Tiny. Less than three percent. The original design was impractical. Lots of unused space. Messy. Very messy. Why am I so messy?" He kept mumbling as he moved thigns around to get the place cleaner.

<Shaw> "It is quite impressive, in fact," he smiled up at Jess from his place on the sofa. "Such ingenuity bodes well for his future, with the right guidance, of course."

<Jessica> "No more things that explode in the house, please..."

<Shaw> "Oh, now, you heard the boy - there's less than a three percent chance of explosion," he said, grin still in place as he poked at the circuitry. It zapped him.

<Broo> "Don't fiddle. It'll make you blind. Aha! Was looking for this," he added picking up a paper with formulas on it. "So many ideas. Look, look, if I recalibrate my prototype, I think I can make the teleporting more precise. Nearly zero percent chance of teleporting into occupied space."

<Broo> He looked around him, searching for something, "Now where did I put it..." he said, shuffling out of the room.

<Jessica> Jess sighed a little and went to finish the tidying, "You have got to stop giving him coffee..."

<Shaw> His chuckle was low. "He enjoys it."

<Jessica> "I know he does... but look at the place..."

<Broo> In another room came a tumbling sound. "I'm okay! I'm okay! Nothing broke!" Broo called from where he was.

<Shaw> "Likely he would be just as destructive without it." He looked at the doorway to the other room, then back at Jessica, biting his lip to keep from laughing aloud.

<Jessica> Jess cringed half way through picking things up, "I strongly doubt it... he'd be more contained..."

<Broo> Broo shuffled back into the room, "The stairs... one is slightly more than a millimeter shorter than the others... I misjudged the height. Um... oh right, cleaning." he said then got back to tidying up.

<Jessica> Jess just stared at Sebastian as though that had proven her point.

<Shaw> Sebastian just smirked.

<Jessica> Jess finished putting the things that she'd picked up back in their places before glancing to the doorway, "Anyone hungry?"

<Broo> Broo perked up, "I'm famished."

<Shaw> "I could do with some more coffee," he added, still smirking.

<Broo> "Coffee sounds good," Broo added.

<Jessica> Jess grumbled a little at the idea of giving her brother yet more caffeine while she headed to the door.

<Shaw> The smirk was becoming a permanent fixture as he rose from his seat.

<Broo> "And pudding! Do we have coffee pudding?" Broo called as his sister disappeared. He looked back towards Shaw, "Mr Shaw.." he said half in a hushed tone, "I need to discuss something with you about my thing..."

<Shaw> That made him very nearly miss a step and he half turned to look down at Broo. "Oh, yes? And it's Sebastian, there's no need to be formal. Not here."

<Jessica> Jess put the coffee on before she filled the kettle and peeked in the cupboards to see what was in there.

<Broo> "Okay Mr Shaw." Broo said, then leaned in, looking left and right. "I need to discuss with you about what I believe I can do with my teleporter."

<Shaw> Thankful that his thing wasn't, in fact, his thing, Sebastian smiled. "Of course. That's quite the accomplishment you've made with your invention, even with the slight kinks."

<Broo> "Well, actually, I believe I can do something much more with it... however I do not have the correct equipment to even calculate and test out my hypothesis. Is it possible if you could help me on it?"

<Jessica> Finding she did in fact have what she required, she started to take the items out and set them on the counter in a line. The coffee was almost done and she was confident the smell of it would lure them down if she didn't appear soon enough.

<Shaw> "Certainly back in New York, yes. Here, the options are more limited, unless I called in a few favors, of course." He studied the small insect boy. "What is your hypothesis?"

<Broo> "That it can be used to shift further along spacetime... to actually go through time." Broo answered, his head now starting to look more towards the kitchen and the smell of coffee.

<Shaw> "Really?" His attention was now undivided. "What makes you believe this?"

<Broo> "Well, normally one would force spacetime to bend so that your position and your location position would be at the same point and time, and then release the the bend so that you are displaced in your new position. I've been pondering about this... and I think if I can maybe figure out just to bend time more than space... then maybe a person can be displaced through time."

<Shaw> "Fascinating." He shifted, pondering this. "I think it best that this wait until we return to New York. The fewer privy to this sort of technology, the better."

<Jessica> Necessary ingredients out, Jess moved to the other cuboards to take out equipment needed and then put the oven on to heat up.

<Broo> Broo's head was now staring at the kitchen door. He looked back towards Shaw, "Hm, sorry what?" he asked

<Shaw> Right. "We'll talk about it later, yes?" He nodded toward the kitchen and turned to follow the scent of the coffee.

<Broo> "Correct, Mr Sebastio]an Shaw!" Broo agreed, and started to follow him towards the kitchen.

<Jessica> What greeted them when they entered the kitchen was Jess standing in front of the coffee machine with a line of ingredients, mixing bowls and other items lined up on the counter beside her.

<Shaw> "Oh my." He took in the arrangement with raised eyebrows.

<Broo> "Are we doing an experiment?" Broo asked.

<Jessica> "Well... it's kind of science." Jess nodded to Broo's question, "I thought we could bake something."

<Shaw> Lip firmly between his teeth, Sebastian moved in and inspected the bowls and ingredients, giving Jessica a sly look from the side of his eye. She was finally making good on her threats, was she?

<Broo> "Ah, yes, I am very familiar with baked goods, I went through quite a few cook books I found, but never gotten around to actually testing each recipe yet." the insect boy said.

<Jessica> "Well then you'll love this, it'll be fun." She gave Broo a grin, "We're going to bake a cake... or lots of little cakes. Which would you prefer?"

<Shaw> "I've only done this drunk," he observed, picking up a package of spices and giving it a sniff. "And with Paige Guthrie," he added with a smirk at Jessica.

<Jessica> "Well now you'll remember it better," Jess nodded sagely, "And no one has to fly in the rain to come pick you up."

<Broo> "Always up for a challenge, would the big cake or the little cakes be more difficult? And would there be any coffee in this recipe?" Broo asked.

<Shaw> "There is such a thing as coffee cake, though I don't believe it contains coffee." He moved behind Jessica and stroked one hand down her spine as he passed. Actual coffee was needed for this venture.

<Jessica> "I could be persuaded to make it coffee and walnut... which does contain coffee. I can't eat it but I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The mixture's mostly the same but the smaller cakes are a bit more fiddly." She moved to the dining area in the kitchen to get a chair for Broo to stand on so he could see the counter properly.

<Broo> "Well then, we shall not be making that. Thank you," Broo announced as he climbed up on the chair, "No use only some of us enjoying the fruits of all our labor."

<Jessica> "Thank you for that," she gave him a smile, "Maybe I'll make you one for your birthday... when is your birthday?" She frowned, realising she had yet to ask such simple pieces of information. They didn't seem to matter as much when they were plotting their escape.

<Shaw> Sebastian paused in pouring coffee for himself and the boy to glance over. He supposed such a date could be extrapolated from her mother's death date, but he didn't want to ruin the moment with this observation.

<Broo> "I actually do not know. I couldn't find any date of birth on the files back at the... um... mansion. I believe we were still busy reconstructing the data on the drives."

<Jessica> "Well... then you're in a unique position. When would you like your birthday to be?" she pulled the set of kitchen scales over and the recipe book for Broo to look at.

<Broo> "Well, I am rather unsure." He said, his small clawed fingers tapped at his chin, "Any suggestions?" Broo asked, "I'm not even so sure how old I really am. Hydra tended to keep unsual times, sometimes I only discovered it was late at night when one of the staff members mentioned it."

<Jessica> "Well you could have it on the anniversary of our escape from Hydra..." Jess tried to think of other significant dates but nothing came to mind. "In which case I already owe you belated cake."

<Broo> "Would that make me less than a year old?" He asked, cocking his head slightly.

<Jessica> She giggled, shaking her head, "No, you'll still be whatever age you are now but we'll know when to add an extra year on."

<Shaw> He handed Broo a small cup of coffee and sipped his own as he joined them. "You could pick your parents' wedding anniversary, or one of their birthdates, or just a date that appeals to you."

<Broo> "I'm quite partial to June 21st." Broo said before taking a sip and savouring the taste.

<Jessica> "June 21st it is then," Jess gave him a smile, "Now... shall we put something fun in the mixture to make the cakes more interesting?"

<Shaw> This made Sebastian arch an eyebrow at Jessica. "How interesting?"

<Broo> "Or maybe December 21st." The boy pondered some more on his own. "No, June 21st." he replied to himself, then realized the topic had moved on, "Wouldn't baking for the first time be interesting already?"

<Jessica> "Well... there's dried fruit, nuts, jelly sweet things or chocolate chips."

<Shaw> "December 21st... would be the anniversary of the attack," he said quietly.

<Jessica> Jess nodded, reaching to rub Sebastian's arm gently in a comforting gesture.

<Broo> Broo lifted his head from his cup realizing what he said. "Oh, oh my, I was just thinking of the solstice days." he said. "I am sorry I suggested that, my apologies."

<Shaw> "Well, it would place your birthday near your sister's," he said with a more typical smirk, sipping his coffee again and resuming his even tone. "And mine, incidentally."

<Jessica> Jess lined up the possible additives for their mixture so Broo could pick one when the time came, if they decided to put any in at all. "Yes, my birthday's on December 7th..."

<Broo> "Well, maybe I should see about placing my birthday right in between both your birthdays. That way most celebrations would happen near the end of the year, which would open the rest of the year for other events. Brilliant." he complimented himself as the coffee had him in its dark caffinated grip.

<Shaw> "Very logical, my boy," he chuckled. The little bug was practically vibrating with the caffeine.

<Jessica> "Or you could spread them out so there's more to look forward to..." Jess offered, opening the flour and sugar and sliding them over to Broo as a quiet hint.

<Broo> Broo eyed the ingredients for a moment then realized he was up, "Oh, yes, the cake baking. Which page are we on... right... uhhhh... okay, think I got it memorized." he said, looking up to the flour and sugar and measuring each for Jess.

<Jessica> Jess tipped them into the mixing bowl then slid the butter along the counter to him too.

<Broo> To which he measured and slid back.

<Shaw> Sebastian watched this silent cooperation with amusement.

<Jessica> Jess dropped the measured butter into the mixing bowl and then held up two eggs. "Would you like to break the eggs? Please try not to drop any of the shell into the mixture... and wash your hands first. Hygeine is important."

<Shaw> He warmed up his coffee and generally lurked, pleased he hadn't been drawn into the lesson and happy to stay that way.

<Broo> "And here I thought cockroaches are one of the most hygienic insects of the world." he said, quickly jumping off the chair, and shuffled over to the kitchen sink to wash and come back for the eggs. "That was an insect mutation joke." he helpfully added as he cracked the eggs.

<Jessica> Jess giggled, shaking her head and reaching for the next items - the wooden spoon and electric whisk. "Which would you prefer to use to mix it all up?"

<Broo> "I shall go with technology for now." He answered trying to reach over to the mixer.

<Jessica> "Okay." She put the spoon to one side and moved over to him with the mixer, "Start it off on the lower setting and put it in the mixture before you turn it on." She pointed to the bits she was talking about. "Move the mixer around to make sure all of it is mixing together evenly."

<Shaw> A tumbling, thumping noise attracted his attention and then Sebastian heard the muffled bark from the bottom of the steps. Ah, it seemed Sharky had woken up and realized he - it? - was alone. He was fast losing the pretense of aloofness to the pet.

<Shaw> The familiar silver head poked around the corner and soon came up to him, settling at his feet and looking up expectantly, tail wagging.

<Jessica> Jess giggled down at Sharky, "I think he's expecting food. Do you want to do that while I supervise...?"

<Shaw> "Oh, of course," he said, nose twitching. As the pet seemed to understand far more than he should, he danced excitedly as Sebastian set his cup down on the counter and moved to the refrigerator.

<Jessica> Jess smiled at him, "Thank you! Sharky, go wait by your bowl," she watched him scamper off to do just that, though he still watched Sebastian in eager anticipation. Jess turned her attention back to Broo who seemed to be enjoying himself with the mixer, coffee forgotten. She should have done this sooner.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Jessica> Jess peered out of the window at the car lot as they pulled up in their rental car. She glanced over at Sebastian before unclipping her seatbelt and reaching for her handbag, "At least with the weather being so nice we'll know how well any cars test-driven really cope and not just what they want us to think..." It had been raining persistantly for a couple of days now.

<Shaw> "Indeed," he said, getting out of the car quickly enough to go to her side and open the door with a smile. "Though, I wonder if a side trip to Germany might be in order for serious car shopping."

<Jessica> "A 'side trip to Germany'?" She laughed, "Just the idea that you consider that a side trip amuses me." She put her umbrella up as soon as there was room.

<Shaw> "Well, of course. What else would it be?" He was already wet, but he took the umbrella to hold over her as she exited the car, then over both of then on the way to the showroom.

<Jessica> "Oh I don't know... but I wouldn't call it a side trip..." she slipped her arm around his waist as she didn't have to hold the umbrella.

<Shaw> "Oh, come now. It's just a pop over to the continent." He smirked down at her as they walked.

<Jessica> She giggled, leaning against him a little, "Get you being all British-y."

<Shaw> "It would appear it's contagious." He opened the the ornate door to the dealership, somewhat impressed until they were greeted by an obsequious salesman in a badly-cut suit.

<Jessica> "Well that's no bad thing..." She stepped inside, glad to be out of the weather and into the somewhat warm space inside... well it was at least warm under the heater that was positioned over the door.

<Shaw> At least he was able to hand off the wet umbrella to the man, and after speaking to him for a few moments was able to get him to leave them alone until he was needed.

<Jessica> Jess watched the man walk away with her umbrella before looking up at Sebastian, "I'd have taken that, you know..."

<Shaw> "That's all right, love," he said with a smirk and a wink as he took her hand. "He'll dry it for you. It gives him something to do, other than hover over us."

<Jessica> "I guess I'm still too used to being on the bottom of the heap...." she gave his hand a squeeze and smiled at him.

<Shaw> Sebastian raised her hand to his lips and gave it a kiss, then led her into the maze of expensive cars on display.

<Jessica> Jess' eyes wandered over the cars but she kept close to him, wary of scratching the paintwork. "So... what are we looking for?"

<Shaw> "Oh, I'm not sure. Something striking. Something beautiful." He gave her a knowing smirk and looked her over from the side of his eyes.

<Jessica> "Unfortunately, I don't come in 'car'." She replied with a similar smirk, nuzzling his shoulder.

<Shaw> "Oh, you would be surprised." He was immediately drawn to a sleek black model, of course.

<Jessica> "Oh would I, now?" She followed him to the car. It was so shiny she didn't want to touch it for fear of leaving fingerprints.

<Shaw> Sebastian had no such compunctions, and opened the door. "It's not new, but it's quite lovely." He leaned to look inside, then stepped aside for her to see. The vehicle smelled like leather. He rather liked it.

<Jessica> It did look nice and the smell of the leather was quite inviting too, she looked inside then straightened up again to look at him.

<Shaw> He closed the door with a slight shrug and offered her his arm again to move along the line of highly-polished vehicles. "I believe I see what James Bond sees in these."

<Jessica> "The cars never survive the movies..." Jess pointed out, "I hope yours will last longer than a couple of hours."

<Shaw> "Well, yes, and longer than the Jaguar." He gave her a wry smile. This time, a silver one caught his eye.

<Jessica> "At least you outlasted that one..." she gave his arm a gentle squeeze as she let him lead her over to the next option.

<Shaw> "Yes," he said with a slight sigh. "Although the weather isn't the best for it right now, I do enjoy convertibles." The silver coup didn't fit that description. Licking his lips, he returned to her thought. "A degree of recklessness is in my nature, but I will try to be careful."

<Jessica> "Yes, please do... I don't want to lose you." She tightened her hold on his arm a little for emphasis. "We've been very lucky so far so let's not push it too much..."

<Shaw> Sebastian turned toward her just enough to raise his free hand to her face, cupping her cheek. "I agree, love," he said, and leaned in to give her a soft kiss.

<Jessica> She smiled and returned the kiss before turning her attention to the car, "I like convertables too... unless the weather is like that." She pointed at the windows. "Because that's not so fun... or good for the leather."

<Shaw> "No," he chuckled, and moved to open the door. He frowned slightly, then gestured for her to look inside. "I question this color choice."

<Jessica> Jess leaned to look, turning her head to grin at him, "I don't know, I think you could pull it off."

<Shaw> "Oh yes, I would be the belle of the Hellfire Club ball." He shook his head and gave the interior another look. Pink. "Point of fact, I'm sure some of the old cronies would like it."

<Jessica> "Oh? Didn't think they were into that." She giggled.

<Shaw> "They're into anything, as I would think you could guess." He closed the door and surrendered his arm to her again.

<Shaw> There were a couple of concept cars which, while interesting, were impractical. "I would love to disassemble one of those, but I believe they would frown on that."

<Jessica> "Probably... at least without buying it first."

<Shaw> "Indeed. While I could likely build my own, I think I would just prefer to purchase and tinker." Noticing a feature of the concept car, he lifted his foot to poke the toe of his also-well-shined shoe through the open panels in the doors. "Interesting."

<Jessica> Jess looked down to see what he was doing, "Oooookay. No... definitely not... moving on now please..."

<Shaw> He laughed aloud and did as he was told.

<Jessica> "Yes, that's right, laugh at my paranoia..." She gave his arm a little zap through his clothes.

<Shaw> Eyes narrowed, he hissed at her, half in annoyance and half in pleasure. "I should buy it for that alone."

<Jessica> She raised an eyebrow at him, "You'll have to get someone else to sit in it with you."

<Shaw> "Point taken," he chuckled and moved on. A ragtop caught his attention now, all sleek lines with a low profile. "Well..."

<Jessica> Jess looked at it too, that was very blue. She leaned to look inside the car. Not as blue as the interior! "Holy crap... it's like they upholstered it with the skins of a million smurfs..."

<Shaw> "Yes... the color is, ah, unfortunate." His nose wrinkled at it and he moved to better see the interior Jess was gaping at. "That's... an apt comparison."

<Shaw> But still, it was beautiful, and he circled the car, trailing the backs of his fingers over its curves.

<Jessica> "Can we ask the agent when he comes back how many smurfs they killed? I just want to see the look on his face...."

<Shaw> "Oh, please do, because this... this is a shade that makes the pink interior look like understated good taste." His eyes were still on the car though as he looked it over, taking in every detail.

<Jessica> She giggled, "I'm so going to." She watched him with the car, "Should I be jealous?"

<Shaw> "Quite possibly, yes." He tore his attention from the car to grin at her. "In fact, I believe I'll retrieve our friend." Giving the car one last fond touch, he went to find the salesman.

<Jessica> Jess watched Sebastian wander off then leaned close to the hood of the car and muttered, "If you try to steal my boyfriend we're going to have problems."

<Jessica> She was half way to straightening up when she leaned back down to add, "And don't think your smurfy friends are off the hook either."

<Shaw> The salesman had not only dried the umbrella, he had also made tea and coffee - not knowing which they'd prefer. Sebastian took one of each and returned with the beverages. "Why they put this color on display, I'll never know. It does come in black." He smiled at her, clearly pleased.

<Jessica> "Awesome so the rest of the smurf population is safe?"

<Shaw> "Quite." He offered her the tea. "He'll bring one around for a test drive in a moment."

<Jessica> She smiled, taking the tea, "Thanks... a black one, right?"

<Shaw> "Oh, no. The black will be a custom order. We get to take more smurfs out for a funerary turn." He sipped his own coffee, smirking over the rim of the cup at her.

<Jessica> "Great, I guess they didn't die in vain then."

<Shaw> With a low laugh, he took her arm and led them back to the doors to enjoy their drinks and watch the rain while they waited.

<Jessica> She smiled and walked with him, taking a sip of her drink once they stopped. "So.... we're keeping the roof up, right?"

<Shaw> "Oh, most definitely," he laughed again over a sip. "We can't have your hair going frizzy, now can we?"

<Jessica> "Well I was more thinking about the freezing and the fever that'd follow but sure... that too..."

<Shaw> He was reminded of Sarkissian's little alterations to Jessica's makeup and just grunted in answer, taking a swallow of his coffee.

<Jessica> She glanced at him, leaning against him a little, "Are you okay?"

<Shaw> "Oh, yes. Fine." He shook himself of the thoughts and smiled, hoping that he hadn't leaked through to her mind.

<Jessica> She frowned, shifting more to face him, "You're not..."

<Shaw> Lips pressed together in irritation, he shook his head. "It's nothing. Nothing you don't already know." The link they now shared was a double-edged sword in times like this.

<Jessica> "Anything I can say to help?" She would rather he talked to her than keep it to himself and she was sure he knew that.

<Shaw> He did, though he didn't wish to ruin a pleasant day with another discussion of Sarkissian. Instead of speaking, he moved in and slid his arm around her shoulders to draw her in, pressing a kiss to her forehead. I just want you to be safe, and healthy, and free from her influence.

<Jessica> I am all of those things, thanks to you. She smiled, leaning into him and closing her eyes for a moment.

<Shaw> Smiling against her skin, his own eyes fluttered closed briefly and he gave her a mental caress.

<Jessica> She leaned more heavily against him, laughing softly, None of that in public places, what have I told you?

<Shaw> It's hard to resist. Sebastian joined her soft laughter and raised his head, hearing the rumble of an engine approaching outside. "I do believe the smurf carriage awaits."

<Jessica> "Excellent, we can finally find out how comfortable smurf corpses are. Just what everyone always wanted to know."

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Carol> Carol stood on the short path from the parking lot and waited to see who turned up for the tour of the construction site that she'd offered to give. It was snowing again but most of the concrete paths were clear. The lawn between the building the staff and students were currently living in and the main complex, however, was about three feet deep in the stuff. She wondered if they'd walk around or through it.

<Cessily> Cessily already waved at the blonde woman from some distance away. "Good morning, Miss Danvers!" the silver-skinned girl called, while continuing her waddling pace through the snow. Being a shape-shifter had many interesting uses - one of them apparently the ability to turn your feet into snow-shoes.

<Carol> "Hi," Carol offered the girl a smile, though it was more out of amusement at her decision to go over the snow. "You all settled in okay over there?"

<Shaw> The rental car hadn't been made for this much snow, and neither had his shoes, so Sebastian stood at the trunk and just stared out at the expanse of snow. He was not wading through that.

<Cessily> "Well, we're still working on that part," Cessily replied, slowing her step as she got closer to the other woman. "The lights seem to work most of the time now, but I think I'll wait for a little while longer before moving in here full time. Thankfully, Sebastian... Mr. Shaw has provided us with free lodging at his club for the time being."

<Aodhfionn> There was a flicker at one of the higher windows, a pale face there and then suddenly not, as if the darkness behind it had swallowed it. It had not looked happy.

<Carol> "We're working as fast as we can but a lot of the floors aren't safe to walk on so they've had to take them up and start over.... the building we put you guys in was practically falling down so that took a while too." She pushed a hand through her hair then wiped it on her jeans as it was wet from the snow that had settled there. "They're going to take a look at the lights and the plumbing tomorrow."

<Cessily> "Oh, I didn't mean to complain," Cessily was quick to point out, hopping out of the snow to join Carol on the cleared pathway. "It's amazing what you guys are doing for us. I really can't thank you enough." She looked around, trying to spot any sign of her colleague. "Hm... Mr. Shaw has said he wanted to join us..."

<Shaw> Arms crossed over his chest, Sebastian looked out over the complex of buildings - what he could see from here anyway. It was... well, frankly, he would condemn the lot of them.

<Shaw> Historical value or not, the cost of renovation would be astronomical.

<Carol> "Well the way I see it, SHIELD owes you guys so don't worry about it." She waved her hand dismissively, "Do you want to call him and see where he is?" she glanced round at the building.

<Cessily> "I think he wanted to come by car, so perhaps we could just head over to the parking lot and wait for him there," Cessily suggested, pausing a moment while she smiled at the SHIELD officer. "Could you lead the way, please?"

<Carol> "Sure," she headed for the lawn which was the fastest way. Normally she'd have flown but, as the teacher couldn't do likewise, she decided to be nice and melted a path through the snow as she went. "They'll be pissed at me for doing this later but I'm in charge here so..."

<Cessily> "Ooh, that's pretty handy," Cessily remarked, turning her feet back into their normal shape. She hastily slipped back into the pair of boots she had carried along by their strings, then hurried after Carol. "Never again cold office coffee, right?"

<Carol> "Yeah, it's pretty great for that... not that I mind cold coffee. You kind of get used to just drinking it however it comes..." she gave a shrug, "Even the awful stuff you get from cafeteria vending machines."

<Aodhfionn> Narrowed red eyes watched the two crossing the snowy lawn from a window. Fianna was shivering in the hoodie, his shadows not precisely good for keeping heat in, watching the arrival of the two women and the man at the parking lot. He wasn't used to snow. Fuck's sake, London got slush. Was this what the girls had been talking about with the new tenants?

<Cessily> "Ew, that stuff is just mean," Cessily commented and made a face, while pulling the stuffed jacket she wore tighter around her neck. "Please tell me we aren't getting one of those." She gave the taller woman an almost pleading look. "If there's anything you'll have to call in some favours or pull some strings for, some decent coffee machines are on the very top of my list."

<Aodhfionn> ...Was that chick silver?

<Shaw> Sticking to the cleared paths and the thin patches of snow, Sebastian started to wander the parking lot, headed for the nearest building.

<Carol> "I'm pretty sure they'll get decent coffee when we're almost done... for now though it's all government issue whatever the hell they try to poison us with." She gave Cess an apologetic look, "Boston has some nice places though if you're really craving proper coffee."

<Cessily> "Oooh, you'll have to show me sometime," Cessily said, beaming a smile at Carol. "The coffee would be on me, too." She caught something moving out of the corner of her eye. "Oh, I think I can see him," the shiny girl exclaimed, quickening her step as she slipped past the SHIELD officer. "Sebastian! Over here!"

<Carol> "If I can find a spare couple of hours, sure..." She continued melting her way through the snow so they could get back to the main complex easier.

<Shaw> He turned on his heel, away from a government-issue tent, and saw Cessily coming his way, and beyond her the SHIELD agent melting the snow. Now why hadn't she done that ten minutes ago? "Cessily, hello," he greeted once he was within comfortable distance. "It's... very white up here."

<Cessily> "Yes, isn't it just gorgeous?" Cessily wore an excited grin as she stepped up to Sebastian's side - a little too quickly as she slipped and nearly fell over on the icy pavement. "It's like winter vacation in the mountains. Just... with an abandoned creepy asylum instead of cozy huts."

<Carol> "Formerly abandoned and former asylum," Carol corrected. "Well unless you're talking to some people then the argument could be made that it's still full of crazy people..."

<Shaw> He automatically reached out to steady her. "It seems... fitting," he said with a smirk, looking up at the massive brick building of the main hospital. It was solid on the outside, but he shuddered to think what the inside looked like.

<Carol> "Nice of you to join us," she put her hands in the back pocket of her jeans as the orange glow faded from them.

<Aodhfionn> Red eyes met Shaw's for a moment before his shadows automatically covered him again, hiding him from view.

<Cessily> "Have you seen how big this place is?" Cessily asked, holding on to Sebastian's arm until she was no longer in danger of landing on her ass. "We could even afford to give every student their own room."

<Shaw> His eyes narrowed, catching movement in one of the uncovered windows, but it didn't repeat itself. The hair on the back of his neck rose.

<Aodhfionn> Looked like he was going to have to step up his game if he'd want to be left alone. Having the girls catch him had been bad, but he'd made it obvious he'd left, as it were, even letting them see him walk out. Fuckit, it always worked on previous squatters and the odd builder who'd come in too far...

<Carol> "That's the plan," Carol gave Cess another smile, "And the staff can have their own space too." She gestured to the Gray Gables building. "So where would you like to start out?"

<Shaw> He realized that Cessily had been talking to him, and looked down at her. "I'm sorry... my mind was wandering."

<Cessily> "No worries," she told Sebastian, a small smile on her lips. "I think this place does that to you." Cessily looked back over her shoulder and tucked some of her red hair behind her ear. "Well, why don't we try the beginning?" She turned her smile on Carol.

<Carol> "Okay then... well, as we're over here I guess we can start with this building..." she gestured to a large redbrick building. "It used to be a nurses home but that's going to be a gym for you, next to that there's the old hospital... which we were thinking we'd convert into apartments so your students can get used to living in the real world... or for the ones that have kids so they don't piss the rest of the student body off."

<Shaw> Many of the windows were still boarded over on the massive Kirkbride-style building, but those that weren't stared out over them like empty sockets. "Are your people working in this end of the building?" He waved his free arm at the section closest to the parking lot.

<Cessily> "I'm sure they can't wait to play doctor in the old hospital," Cessily commented, her awkward humour bringing a lopsided smile to her face.

<Carol> Carol blinked at him, glancing over the building, "Uh no, not today... they're not due to start in there for a couple of weeks yet.... why?"

<Aodhfionn> There was the impression of a figure darting across one of the windows. It was way too fucking cold for him to want to take off the hoodie, but at this distance, all they'd see was the pale hands and face anyway before he disappeared again.

<Shaw> "It's noth-" he started, then stopped at another flash of movement.

<Carol> She raised an eyebrow as her eyes caught the movement, "Could just be some kids... they sneak onto the site a lot - ghost hunters and whatever. I can go up and scare them off if you like."

<Cessily> Cessily looked between Sebastian and the building he was staring at, trying to spot what he must have seen. "Is something wrong, Sebastian?" she asked, before turning to Carol. "I guess this place is really popular with the local kids, no? Even though it's quite far out."

<Carol> "Oh yeah... I grew up in Boston - there was a lot of stories about this place... Actually I even sneaked in here once or twice when I was a kid." She gave them a rueful grin, "Got my ass in a lot of trouble."

<Shaw> The tingle intensified as he stared up at the building, searching the windows, but always returning to that one in particular.

<Aodhfionn> They were all looking up at the window. Good. He was hidden in his shadows, peering out between a couple of boards. It'd take a bit of concentration at this distance, but...as one, their shadows began to grow and change shape, becoming mishappen, winged things on the snow.

<Cessily> "Oh, I already wondered why you're so familiar with this place," Cessily remarked, her eyes still on the female officer. "It must be strange for you to see this childhood memory being turned into..." Her voice drifted off, gaze drifting to the ground, where their shadows had begun to... change?

<Carol> Carol shifted her gaze from the window to the silver girl, "Turned into what? Something resembling the nuthouse it used to be?"

<Shaw> Cessily's interrupted statement and her fingers digging into his arm made Sebastian first look at her, then at the thing that made her eyes go wide. "You," he started softly after a moment, "see that as well, then?"

<Carol> Carol followed both their gazes to the surface of the snowy ground. "What in the hell....?"

<Aodhfionn> He couldn't help the smirk as he watched them staring at the ground. The shadows didn't just change shape and stay flat, however - chewing his lip in concentration, the mutant shadows darkened and began to push themselves up, bulking out as they did, wisps curling around them like smoke.

<Shaw> "Is Cassandra here?" It was the only explanation for this.

<Cessily> Cessily blinked, before letting out an undignified squeak as she took a little leap backwards. Her gaze moved from side to side as she looked for the familiar raven-haired head of her prime suspect. "This is not funny, Cassie!" she called into a random direction. "Oh, this cheeky St. Commons girl."

<Carol> Carol eyed the warped shadows, eyebrow raised, "Well that's different..." of course, she was used to such shenanigans so she shrugged it off, "Shall we then?" She gestured to the main Kirkbride complex, "Unless you'd like to stay out here in the cold?"

<Aodhfionn> Fuck, one of them moved. At this distance, the control was hard, and with a sudden jerk, the shadows fell apart into wisps, disintegrating into the air and snow. He swore quietly, panting a little, watching the three. Oh well, plenty in here to play with.

<Shaw> Though he was unnerved, Sebastian schooled his expression. St. Commons was toying with them. That was all it was. And when the shadows vanished, it confirmed his belief. "No, let's have a look inside."

<Cessily> "Oh, I think I know who's responsible for this," Cessily commented, letting her gaze drift once more across the snow-covered estate, before she turned to follow their guide. "I'll have a word with the young miss the next time I see her."

<Aodhfionn> Pushing up, he blurred through the building, moving silently through it and sliding down banisters until he got to the entrance hall, climbing up to sit on a rafter and wait. As he did, he filled the entire room top to bottom with thick, cloying shadow.

<Carol> Carol gave them a smile, leading them across the lawn again towards the entrance to the admin block where most of the work was currently happening as they prepared the three main floors and made them habitable. "There should also be coffee around somewhere."

<Cessily> "Ooh, goodie!" Cessily performed a merry little skip at the promise of coffee. "That should be our first station then."

<Shaw> He had to agree on this, smirking slightly at Kincaid's antics. "Coffee would be appreciated."

<Carol> "I can't promise it'll be good coffee..." she pointed out, leading the way up the steps and baring right towards the former super-intendant's office. "... Huh. Who turned out the lights?" she stopped, trying to remember where the switches were but failing so she raised a hand to use her powers to light them instead.

<Aodhfionn> As they opened the doors, it was to a veritable wall of darkness. Despite the generators, the snow and everything else, the light stopped a foot in and nothing penetrated it. Though Carol's hand glowed, that was it - not even that went through.

<Cessily> "Oh good, we found the door leading to the bizarro dimension," Cessily commented, staring wide-eyes at the impenetrable darkness right in front of them. "I don't think I need coffee that badly anymore..."

<Aodhfionn> Fianna, on the other hand, could see through it just as well as if it had been flooded with light. He grinned to himself. Damnit, he wished he'd had some warning to set this up properly. "Good afternoon." The voice was low and cultured. "And welcome to my home. I'm afraid visiting hours are over, may I ask who you're here to see?"

<Shaw> "Cassandra," he said, pitching his voice to carry. The voice that responded didn't sound like Cassandra, however.

<Aodhfionn> "I'm sorry, we don't have a patient by that name." No, because Cassandra was very much not male - wait, was that the shadowy floaty chick from the other day? Damn, even her name was gothy. Nice.

<Cessily> "Maybe she got someone to help her with her little pranks," Cessily remarked, cautiously leaning forward as she tried to look through the thick wall of blackness.

<Carol> Carol frowned at the darkness, firing off the blast of concussive light to see if it could illuminate anything and hoping it didn't break anything on the way. "You're tresspassing on government property."

<Shaw> "It would seem." Sebastian stepped forward and reached into the darkness. Again, his skin prickled, but it was simply shadow. He had very little desire to lower his shielding to sense what minds were at work.

<Aodhfionn> The darkness swallowed it, and while there was the sound of it hitting something the light itself was gone. Fianna watched it with interest, however, blinking. So...two mutants and a bloke. Hah, that hot, he had to have a mutation. "I'm sorry, but if you insist on cauing a disturbance I'll have security remove you." Government? "We have some delicate patients here and I will not allow you to disturb them."

<Carol> Carol's eyes narrowed, a flicker of energy passing over her as her clothing shifted from civilian to military. "You're still trespassing on government property, it's very cute that you're trying to scare me but you're really wasting your time."

<Aodhfionn> Oooooooh. Military. He grinned, shifting over a little. He let the silence stretch, before the shadow seemed to ripple. "...Good afternoon, and welcome to my home. I'm afraid visiting hours are over, may I ask who you're here to see?"

<Cessily> "Okay, this has been very funny and cute, but would you please cut it out now?" Cessily asked, staying near the frame of the door, only peeking around the corner to stare into the unsettling darkness. "I only want a cup of coffee..."

<Shaw> "A mutant squatter, is it then?" He explored the edge of the darkness, but wasn't inclined to enter.

<Carol> "Sure as hell looks that way." Carol had no such fear of the darkness and strode into it to see if there was an end to it.

<Aodhfionn> The darkness rippled again. "I would appreciate if you didn't call my patients mutants, sir." The darkness clustered as Carol walked into it, before it suddenly fell back - every shadow. There was no definition, the world suddenly flat and featureless...except for a seething mass up in the corner.

<Cessily> "You think this is not Cassie's doing then?" Cessily asked, still wary as she took a careful step into the room. She wasn't sure what was more unsettling - the total darkness before, or this strangely uniform lighting.

<Aodhfionn> "I'm sorry, we don't have a patient by that name."

<Shaw> "I don't know what's going on, but it's either a very elaborate prank, or something else altogether." He moved forward into the room, looking around and focusing on the locus of writhing shadow in the corner.

<Carol> "Okay at least now we can see where the coffee is." She turned on her heel and headed for the relevant office. She needed coffee before she dealt with whatever the hell that was.

<Aodhfionn> "I do not joke, sir, neither do I have a sense of humour. If you are not here to visit a patient, may I ask your reason for visiting?"

<Cessily> "Do you think I should poke it, whatever it is?" Cessily asked, leaning closer to Sebastian without taking her eyes off the dark corner in the room. She demonstratively held up her hand, elongating her index finger into a pointy tip.

<Aodhfionn> Even as he was talking, he was being busy, and a shadowy figure was forming out of the floor under him. Tall, wrapped completely in shadows and blurring as it seemed to take off a tophat, it regarded the three seriously.

<Shaw> "I believe it's making the poking easier for you," he said with a smirk, crossing his arms to watch the show.

<Carol> Carol returned from the office, three cups of coffee in hand. Taking a sip from one of the cups she offered the other two to Sebastian and Cessily.

<Cessily> "So, who are you?" Cessily asked, slightly lowering her hand, even though the tips of her fingers remained sharpened. She took the offered cup with the other hand. "Thank you."

<Aodhfionn> "The owner of this establishment, and I do not take kindly to interlopers." The apparition seemed in a constant state of flux, as if having trouble holding shape. Oh hell, that coffee smelt good and reminded him that he was hungry. Maybe when they left he could break into the office?

<Shaw> With a slight shrug he accepted the cup with a thank you. "I think you'll find the federal government has assumed ownership of this facility from the state," he said, taking a disinterested sip.

<Carol> "You don't own anything. This is government property." Carol frowned, "And I'm overseeing this project so unless you want me to send some people in to drag you out, I suggest you introduce yourself properly."

<Cessily> "Not to mention our new home," Cessily pointed out, her coffee in hand.

<Aodhfionn> There was something...wrong with the shadows beyond the room. Government property and a chick in military uniform? Fianna was starting to get the idea he might have picked on the wrong people. Maybe a tactical retreat was the better option - for now. The figure fell apart and the writhing shadows dropped to the floor, ran deeper in and disappeared. Or...well...seemed to.

<Cessily> Cessily raised her eyebrows when the shadowy figure vanished and reached up to clutch her hot cup of coffee with both hands. "Did I say something wrong?" the silver girl asked. "I think I scared him off."

<Carol> "I guess it's choosing option B." She shrugged a shoulder, "I'll make a call or something later... give it time to change its mind." She had another sip of coffee.

<Shaw> Warily, he moved over to the area where the shadow-thing had been, checking along the wall for seams as he slowly sipped the coffee. It wasn't the best, but it was hot and black.

<Cessily> "Do you think we just found another of Cassandra's long lost family members?" Cessily asked, looking at Sebastian while she raised the cup to take a careful sip. "Whoever... whatever that was... he seems to have shadow powers much like hers."

<Aodhfionn> In reality, Fianna was hiding just beyond the doors, thinking (and trying to ignore coffee, God stomach not now) and thinking fast. He was kidding himself if he thought he could scare government out of a sprawling building. That was twice a mutant had called this their new home, and...well...he was freezing, hungry...

<Shaw> "I wouldn't rule out anything at this point." He opened the door.

<Aodhfionn> ...Which gave Shaw an interesting impression of a shadow scrabbling the hell away from the door to join with the rest, a hiss of surprise coming from it as it did. Holy fuck, did the guy not make any noise?!

<Carol> "I'm sure we can ask when the theatrics get boring." Another flicker of energy passed over her as she switched back into her civilian clothing. "I'd take you guys upstairs but I think they're still working on the floor at the moment. They'll be the dorm rooms when they're done."

<Shaw> Dropping the coffee, he bolted after the shadow until he lost it with its companions. "You're unwilling to show yourself now? After you went to so much effort just a moment ago? How disappointing."

<Carol> "Wh- hey!" Carol frowned at the puddle of coffee, such a waste.

<Cessily> Cessily jumped, spilling some of her coffee over her jacket, giving her two reasons to squeak again. "Can we continue to tour outside, please?" she asked. "I'd much rather be outside now."

<Aodhfionn> Oh fuck, hot dude was fast and irritated, not good. Fianna was pressed up against the wall, looking for a fast way out. Spotting the other door he tried to move as quietly as he could, instinctively thickening the shadows around him. Softly softly...

<Carol> Carol put her own coffee down on top of a heating unit to follow Shaw. "It's just a kid, Miss Kincaid, nothing to be afraid of."

<Shaw> Sebastian paused, then smiled. He could hear footsteps - soft sounds of movement. He darted toward the sound, then noticing the other door. He had him now.

<Cessily> "Hey, I'm not afraid!" Cessily started after Carol, then stopped and turned around. After finding a spot to store her own coffee, she hurried after the others. "I'm just done with being stalked in creepy hallways!"

<Aodhfionn> He pulled up short as his way was blocked, doubling back to the other door - where the two women were. Fuck. This would be where being able to teleport would be really useful. Well, he could either lurk and hope they left him alone or he could man up and maybe get a warm meal. Choices.

<Carol> "Okay, kid, last chance before I make a phonecall." She put her hand in her pocket to retrieve her cell.

<Shaw> "He's in the room." Sebastian leaned against the door, arms crossed again and head tilted as he strained to hear the soft movements and breathing.

<Aodhfionn> ...Warm meal won out. Plus that guy was looking a little creepy now. "Okay, okay, y' won, you got me." This time his voice was much more normal, if still deep and a little odd. The shadows fell away to reveal a tall guy in a hoodie and jeans, shivering a little. His skin was white, and red eyes went between their faces, back to the wall. "No ghost, just a creepy kid."

<Cessily> Cessily paused, staring in surprise for just a brief moment, before her kind nature took over and replaced the startled expression on her face with a smile. "Why, hello there," she said, trying to look as calm as possible. "See? That's much better already . There's no need to be scared of each other."

<Shaw> "Better." He smirked, pushing off the wooden door, which creaked a bit under his weight. Sebastian moved closer to the boy, studying him. "Miss Kincaid may speak a tad too soon. Why are you here?"

<Carol> Carol removed her hand from her pocket, leaving her cell where it was. The kid was clearly cold, she could see he was shivering. "Come back into the main hall, it's warmer in there." She gestured towards the door to the atrium.

<Cessily> "Oh right, he's the bad cop," Cessily pointed out, gesturing at Sebastian. "I always get stuck with the good cop part for some reason."

<Aodhfionn> Fianna wasn't moving an inch, the silver girl and the hot blond with the military kink getting a worried smile and then his attention on the guy. Hoo. "Honestly? Live here. Yeah yeah, I know, homeless brat squattin' on government property, worked out fine for me for the las' coupla months." He might have been the same height as the guy but hoo boy did he feel a lot smaller right now, head ducking in answer to it.

<Carol> "It's the boobs." Carol told Cess with a sage-like nod. "Well it wasn't needed for anything until a few weeks ago so it wasn't as populated."

<Shaw> "How convenient a mutant squatter chose the future home of Xavier's school," he said, teeth bared at the boy. Sebastian decided to move closer, as he saw he was having the desired effect on the pale youth.

<Aodhfionn> "Xavier's what-now?" The name rang a bell. "Listen, can y' drop the bad-cop act? Only I get defensive when someone does that shit and no one wants me t' get lippy. I'm sorry for pullin' the ghost thing on you but...well..."

<Shaw> He smiled at the implication it was an act.

<Cessily> "Actually, I believe we're not too different," Cessily pointed out, offering the pale boy a comforting smile. "As we recently lost our old home, we're mutant squatters here in some way, as well."

<Aodhfionn> "...Creepy smile, I swear down you touch me and I'm gonna go tell Pedo-bear."

<Carol> Carol wished she'd brought her coffee with her, "If it's a set up... not it."

<Aodhfionn> Without taking his eyes off the guy, Fianna turned to Cessily. "Yes, sure, we're exactly alike, I mean y've got a government-sanctioned home and you're stayin' somewhere pretty damned cushy, it's exactly like squattin' in a half-destroyed nuthouse and havin' to steal shit, right?" He couldn't help it, the nerves were making him snappy, red eyes flaring a little.

<Cessily> "I'm sorry," the shiny girl apologised, her expression turning serious. "I didn't mean to say you had no rough times. It's just... so did we lately."

<Shaw> "Your defensive posturing is most entertaining, however, we weren't the ones crying ghost. Also, you are a long way from your homeland. Surely, you can see how all this seems a little coincidental."

<Carol> "You must have realised you'd have been caught out eventually once we moved into the area," Carol frowned. "We're renovating the place with good reason so we're not going to be scared off by a fake haunting or a real one."

<Aodhfionn> "Not really, no. Listen, I know when I'm beat, if you want me ou' I'll leave." He finally took his eyes off Shaw and looked at Cessily, tongue going over his fangs, looking the sullen, defensive teenager and hating it. He hated being intimidated. "I don't have a fuckin' clue why you're here - well, I didn't - but I have my own reasons to be in the good ol' Land of the Free." He sniffed.

<Cessily> Cessily perked up at Carol's words, her head turning to stare at the blonde woman. "Real hauntings?" the silver girl asked, sounding unsettled. "Are you saying there are not just fake ghosts here?"

<Aodhfionn> "Far as I was concerned, you were a buncha rival squatters, place this big has plenty." He rubbed an arm, claws sliding out for a moment as he tried to push the defensiveness down. "So what y' gonna do? Chase me out? Hope you'll let me get my shit first. Call th' police? I'll be gone by th' time they get here."

<Carol> "No one's telling you to leave," Carol said to the boy, "We just want to know who you are." She looked over at Cessily, giving a shrug, "There're stories."

<Shaw> The boy had quite a range of visible mutations and he inventoried them with interest.

<Aodhfionn> "Aodhfionn fuckin' MacDuibh, if you can handle tha' mouthful. If not, Fianna'll do. Pleased t' meet you. If you're gonna undress me wit' your eyes, mate, can y' at least fold my clothes up? An' no inappropriate behaviour until I know your name." He eyed Shaw up nervously.

<Carol> Carol couldn't help the amused smirk at the comment to Shaw before she cleared her throat, "Coffee?"

<Cessily> The smile returned to Cessily's face as she looked back at the boy, even though his pale appearance didn't help to get her mind off scary ghosts. "Don't worry, our school has never driven anyone away, especially not when they're in need of shelter," she assured the spooky kid. "No matter where we may go, we're going to keep Xavier's spirit alive."

<Cessily_> The talk of spirits made her think of ghosts even more. Cessily shuddered.

<Shaw> "You aren't quite my type," he smirked, but extended a hand nonetheless. "Sebastian Shaw."

<Cessily_> "My name is Cessily Kincaid," the silver girl introduced herself, revealing a sweet smile as she raised her hand to wave at the boy.

<Aodhfionn> "Yes, oh God yes, I don't care what th' fuck happens so long as there's coffee please." He eyed up the hand as if it was about to bite him, before taking it in his own white one. "...Shame, you ain't bad looking. Pleasure, kid." Xavier's...why the hell did that ring a bell? "So...what, you're offerin' a place? What's the catch?"

<Cessily> "There is none," Cessily assured him, maintaining her smile. "As you can probably see, the one thing we have more than enough of is free space."

<Carol> "You have to live with the rest of us, that's the catch." Carol replied, "Lieutenant Colonel Danvers... or Agent Danvers," she gestured for him to follow her to the coffee, mostly because she wanted hers back.

<Shaw> He released the boy's hand after a firm shake and committed the name to memory. Nodding for him to follow Danvers, he slid his hands into his coat pockets.

<Aodhfionn> "Forgive me f' not saluting." He drawled, still eyeing Shaw up suspiciously. He did not like something about that man. Still...coffee. He felt oddly naked without his shadows, so had them climb up his legs as he followed the agent, hiding his feet from view. Better. Not great, but better.

<Carol> "You don't have to salute if you're not in the military." She picked up her coffee after stepping over the broken mug and the puddle and headed towards the office again.

<Cessily_> "I'm sure all the teenage boys at the school will like to stand at attention around you regardless," Cessily remarked, wearing a silly grin as she leaned closer to Carol.

<Carol> Carol glanced over at her and laughed, shaking her head, "God, I hope not, that'd be awkward as hell."

<Aodhfionn> Fianna kept his silence on that subject. Probably for the best.

<Carol> She poured a cup of coffee for the kid and held it out to him, "Not the best coffee you'll ever drink but it's not the worst I've ever had in the field so..." she gave a half shrug.

<Cessily> "Are we going to leave him in someone's care, or should we take him along for the tour?" Cessily asked, her gaze shifting between Carol and Sebastian.

<Shaw> "It's rather likely he knows this place better than anyone, yes?" His own hands were cold in his pockets and he wished he'd just set the cup down before chasing shadows.

<Aodhfionn> He wrapped white fingers around the cup gratefully, curling around the warmth and taking a sip. "...Trus' me, missy, any coffee is better'n no coffee." He watched them all over the cup as he held it against his lips, hood pulled up over his hair. "Jus' a bit. Though I haven't been in the shit y're renovatin', for obvious reasons."

<Carol> "Except for today," Carol pointed out, waving her own cup of coffee for emphasis.

<Cessily> Cessily stepped up to Sebastian's side and offered to share her cup with a smile when she saw his own coffee had ended up on the floor.

<Aodhfionn> "Ffft. Come on, if you could fuck wit' shadows, you can't tell me y' wouldn't wanna screw with people at every chance, huh." He grinned unashamedly at her. "Also, who the fuck is this St. Commons thing everyone keeps comparin' me to?"

<Shaw> He returned Cessily's smile - this time sincere - but shook his head to decline. "Cassandra St. Commons. She has similar abilities to control shadows."

<Aodhfionn> "Oh. Right. Yeah, think I met her. She's cool." He paused, remembering the shadows. "Didn' like the fact I took her toys away. Looks good in a corset. That one?"

<Carol> "My powers mess with things all on their own, they don't need my help." Carol smirked as she took a sip of coffee.

<Shaw> "That would be our Miss St. Commons, yes," he smirked.

<Cessily> "And a similar attitude towards spooking people," Cessily pointed out, frowning when the pale boy described the female student pretty accurately. "Oh, so you've met her already? I assume you two would get along nicely. Actually, now I'm a bit worried that you will..."

<Aodhfionn> "Her, a hot PVC chick and...some kinda girl that reanimates dead shit." He shuddered at that, and it wasn't put on. God, the spiders. He hadn't slept that day. At all.

<Carol> "Well that sounds great..." she glanced at her watch, it had stopped again, "Damn it..." She took it off and tossed it onto the desk in the cluttered office. "I'm going to guess it's nearly lunch time."

<Cessily> "Speaking of, is there any chance to get some food around here yet?" Cessily asked, the mentioning of lunch whetting her own appetite.

<Aodhfionn> And just to punctuate that, there was a loud, embarrassing rumble from Fianna's stomach.

<Carol> "Yeah, there's a field kitchen, I'll show you where it is - they're still working on the actual kitchens." She gestured to the door, "Guess we should see about getting our resident ghost some warmer clothes too."

<Cessily> "He can have my jacket for starters," Cessily said, already taking it off. "I don't really need it that badly, anyway. Only wearing it out of habit."

<Aodhfionn> "Hey now, you don't - I mean-" He was not taking a woman's jacket, no matter how shiny, but...he was cold...he huffed. "...Th' moment you want it back, tell me, alright? Just...ain't used t' snow is all, I mean it snows a bit back ho-back in London but this..."

<Carol> "Yeah, the winters here are pretty bad... I kind of missed them..." she wrinkled her nose, shaking her head at herself as she headed for the door. "Kitchens are this way."

<Cessily> "Ah no, don't mention it." Cessily practically shoved the jacket into Fianna's hands. "I'll be fine." She then turned and quickened her steps to follow Carol. "Ooh, let's hope something good is on the menu today."

<Carol> "Don't hold your breath," she grinned over her shoulder.

<Aodhfionn> Fianna downed the last of his coffee, gratefully wrapping the jacket around him. With one last look at Shaw, he hurried after them. Well...maybe for once his luck was in...

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Shaw> The only sound was that of his footsteps, crunching pieces of broken tile beneath his soles. While the hallway appeared empty, his skin prickled, the fine hair on the back of his neck standing up. Each open doorway lining the hall yawned into blackened rooms, the darkness sufficient to conceal literally anything.

<Shaw> Sebastian stopped, looking behind him, unsure how he'd gotten here at all, or where, in fact, here even was.

<Jessica> Jess heard no footsteps, only the hammering of her heart in her chest. She looked up and down the hall, unsure which way to go in the vast windowless expanse beneath the building. If she chose the wrong way she'd be even more lost and the place was getting to her. She chewed her lip and started down the hall, hoping to find some stairs.

<Shaw> Every time he passed one of those abyssal doorways, Sebastian could feel, could sense the eyes on him. No, it wasn't possible. He was alone in this place. Somehow, he knew he should be alone. But was he?

<Jessica> She did find some stairs and hurried up them, pushing the iron door at the top open into a tiled corridor with relief. The sound echoed in the vast empty expanse, bouncing off the walls and making her cringe.

<Shaw> He heard the grinding, screeching noise distantly. It echoed down the hall and he stopped, feet scraping as he turned to try to pinpoint the source of the sound. Backing up, he didn't realize he was moving toward one of those blackened maws.

<Jessica> She stood stock-still in the hall at the bottom of another flight of stairs, afraid she'd stirred something dark and terrible from its slumber deep in the building. She could still hear the echoes as they continued their journey through the warren of empty rooms and corridors.

<Shaw> His progress halted suddenly when he bumped against something hard, right at his thigh level. With a jump and a startled shout, he spun around, only then realizing he had brushed against a peeling, antiquated wheelchair.

<Shaw> It hadn't been there a few moments ago.

<Jessica> She shivered, glancing back down the stairwell behind her and pushing the door closed before hurrying up to the ground floor level. It felt like there was something following her but she didn't dare to look over her shoulder again.

<Shaw> The sound repeated - protesting metal on metal. He walked again, unsure for how long. Time seemed to be endless yet compressed here, and he was starting to realize it couldn't be real.

<Shaw> Finally, he stopped, closing his eyes. There was something familiar at the back of his mind - a panic that wasn't his. So, he felt for it.

<Jessica> She ran until she reached another set of doors and pushed through them, finding herself in the self-contained stairwell at one of the extremes of the building, she knew where she was - the caged in stairways making it instantly obvious. She headed up them, having nowhere else to run to from whatever it was that she had now convinced herself was chasing her.

<Jessica> Another thought in the back of her mind made her heart skip a beat and she almost missed at step. What if it was her?

<Shaw> That terrified thought echoed in his mind. What if it was her? Sebastian was still moving forward, but now there was someone there. Her.

<Shaw> Sitting in the wheelchair he was certain he had passed long ago, her red hair flowed over her shoulders. The robe of the Black Queen made her nearly disappear into the shadows. No. It couldn't be her.

<Shaw> She is dead. He almost said it aloud, but was loath to break the silence. She did it for him. "Sebastian," she said with a wicked smile. "My very own little Eliza Doolittle."

<Jessica> The startled response transfered to Jessica and she stopped halfway up the stairs, shaking as she tried to make herself turn her head just enough to look down at the stairs she'd just come up across the empty space in the center of the spiral. She didn't need to turn her head, the smell of the perfume reaching her first before the sound of the boots picked up and the leather coat brushing the steps.

<Jessica> Jessica ran, the voice calling up after her, "Don't go that way, Jessica! Nothing good is that way!"

<Shaw> "I told you nothing good could come of this peculiar obsession of yours," Madelyne's voice sounded hollow, as empty as this place. The broken tile scratched under his feet again as he backed up from her. This time, he backed into something soft, feminine.

<Shaw> Behind him, Angelina laughed. Ahead of him, Madelyne rose from the chair.

<Jessica> Jess climbed out of the first window she came to, into the frigid night air and up away from the sounds of Viper behind her but the green haired head she was trying to avoid appeared out of a window directly above her and she almost dropped off the wall, letting out a startled cry.

<Jessica> "Haven't I helped you, Jessica? You would not be able to run from me right now if I had not helped you overcome your problem with the cold. Come back home." Viper's hand extended towards her.

<Jessica> Jess shook her head, retreating back down the wall. "Go away! Leave me alone!"

<Shaw> "You think you could come to call this home? Just who are you trying to delude?" It was still Madelyne's voice, though it seemed to come from Angelina as well. Trapped between the women, he took the option that seemed reasonable at the time - he ran into one of the pitch-black rooms.

<Shaw> The darkness swallowed him whole.

<Jessica> "Hydra takes care of our own, Jessica. Like it or not, you are one of us now. You voluntarily took the oath."

<Jessica> "I had to make you trust me..." Jess backed further along the wall.

<Jessica> "I already trusted you. You tell these lies to make yourself feel better but you needn't tell them to me when I already know the truth. You're afraid to admit it to yourself, that is okay. I won't tell anyone."

<Shaw> Utterly alone in the darkness, all he could hear now was his own pounding heart and harsh breathing. He didn't like this feeling, no more than when he was trapped in the hall with the women. The one woman he wanted - needed - to see wasn't here.

<Shaw> But he could feel her. Jessica, love...

<Jessica> "Sebastian..." Jess paused in her retreat.

<Jessica> "Sebastian? He is not here." Viper cocked her head on one side, "Come to me, Jessica. Let me help you. Sebastian doesn't know what you need."

<Jessica> "He does... please go away now..." Jess moved along towards another window in the block itself, knowing that it would be further for Viper to travel and so give her more time to hide.

<Shaw> Eyes opening, he sensed more than saw the window in the room and moved toward it. "But I am here," he said, now hearing the other conversation in snatches and phrases. He felt her fear, felt its source - Sarkissian.

<Shaw> No, this would not happen. He wouldn't lose her to that harpy again. No. Never.

<Shaw> Sebastian found the window, and to his surprise found when he leaned from the broken frame he could see. What he saw was Jessica, clinging to the wall, edging away from Sarkissian who slithered toward her like her namesake.

<Shaw> He reached for her, arms closing around her easily, and jerked her backward into the dark room. The momentum threw them both to the debris-strewn floor, Sebastian landing hard on his back.

<Jessica> Jess screamed in surprise and fear as she was pulled back into the room, thinking Viper had somehow teleported there and beat her to it. She scrambled away as quick as she recovered until she found a wall to retreat up and a corner to hide in. It was dark and she was glad she could use it to conceal herself better as she tried to get her breathing under control so she could hear whoever had her now.

<Shaw> The jolt of impact gave him a slight rush and he sucked in a startled breath. It only took a moment for the panic to take him. He was unable to process that this darkened room was very different from the one they'd been in before. All he knew was that Jessica had fled from him and he couldn't find her.

<Shaw> Rolling to his hands and knees, he pushed himself up into something large and soft and made a sound of surprise.

<Jessica> It took several seconds before Jessica's mind registered the sound as non-threatening. Still curled in her corner of the ceiling, she pushed a small amount of energy into her hand to give away her position. "Sebastian...?"

<Shaw> The light made him start again and scramble away from the source, barely registering Jessica's voice. He was terrified - beyond reason. Every instinct was telling him to flee, so he did. Staggering to his bare feet, he located the door and ran.

<Jessica> "Sebastian!" By now she'd realised she was awake, pulling the charge back, she dropped down to the floor and ran after him.

<Shaw> The hall was, in fact, much like the one from his dream and he swore. Partway down the hall, he heard her voice and turned. It was a trick - it had to be another trick - but it looked like her, sounded like her. But still, the fear was there.

<Jessica> Jess stopped when he turned, afraid he'd run again. "Sebastian... are you okay?"

<Shaw> "Jessica?" His voice shook, and yet again he found himself backing up, this time his back to a solid wall.

<Jessica> "It's me... it's okay...." she chewed her lip, realising what must be wrong. Bowing her head, she turned to go back into the bedroom, crossing to the window to open it up before reaching to pick the sheets up off the floor and put them back on the bed.

<Shaw> Then, she just... left. He was alone in the hallway, listening to his own harsh breathing.

<Jessica> After sorting out the sheets she moved back to the doorway, peeking out at him, "I'm sorry..."

<Shaw> He slid down the wall to thump to the floor, legs pulled up and hands in his hair. Pheromones. This had to be her pheromones. He knew it, but it was still difficult to think, and his heart was still racing.

<Jessica> Cautiously, she edged out of the room, running a hand through her hair and trying to remain calm for his sake. The floor was cold under her bare feet but she ignored it, gathering her hair over one shoulder as she crouched beside him.

<Shaw> His instinct was to bolt from her, but he fought it, trying to will the pheromones to work through his system more quickly.

<Jessica> "Do you want me to go away until they're easier to deal with...?" She glanced at the doors to the other bedrooms, wondering how many people they'd woken up.

<Shaw> "No," he choked out. The fastest way to deal with this was to use his own abilities. Sebastian pushed himself up, realizing the meaning of her looks to the closed doors. They weren't alone in this place. He went back to their room.

<Jessica> Jess followed him back to their room, closing the door quietly behind her and rubbing the tops of her arms distractedly - more out of habit than necessity.

<Shaw> Moving to the window, he breathed in the freezing winter air. It was helping, but being back in the room at the source of the pheromone assault wasn't. Snarling to himself, he spun and punched the wall beside the window.

<Jessica> Jess screamed again in surprise, cutting it off with her hands over her mouth and backing into the wall. It wasn't that she hadn't seen the reactions that her pheromones caused in people, she just wasn't used to seeing it on Sebastian.

<Shaw> Her scream set his nerves on edge and he struck the wall again, then again, and again.

<Jessica> Each action was accompanied by a flinch from Jess as she shrank back away from him and into the corner of the room.

<Shaw> The rush from his ability cleared his head more quickly than anything else, and soon he stopped, hands gripping the window sill until his knuckles turned white and gulping in the cold air again.

<Jessica> Jess stayed in her corner, visibly shaking and using the wall to keep herself upright though, even with that, it was a struggle not to sink to the floor. "Are you... okay...?" her voice shook as much as the rest of her and she dug her nails into the tops of her arms in an effort to will the trembling to stop.

<Shaw> Eventually, he nodded, blowing out a long breath and watching it plume into the night. Forcing himself to loosen his grasp on the old wood, he turned and saw her in the corner.

<Shaw> He cursed and closed the window, moving toward her.

<Jessica> "I-I'm okay..." She assured him, even though she wasn't sure who she was trying to convince.

<Shaw> "You're sure?" He found himself biting down on his lip, then reached for her.

<Jessica> She nodded, tentatively loosening her grip on her own arms to reach for him too, moving towards him. "You?"

<Shaw> "It's worn off now." Sebastian slid his arms around her, realizing she was cold and pulling her against his chest. "I was dreaming." His knuckles stung, and he clenched and uncurled his right fist, looking at it in the dim light.

<Jessica> "Me too..." her arms encircled his waist and she turned her face into his shoulder. "I dreamed she was here..."

<Shaw> It gave him pause, then he realized what must have happened. "I know."

<Jessica> She lifted her head to frown at him, "You do...?"

<Shaw> "I'm afraid so." Lips pressed together, he met her eyes. "It was hardly an intentional intrusion, but I am sorry for it."

<Jessica> She shook her head, laying it back down on his shoulder, "It's not your fault... can't help the things we do when we're asleep, can we?"

<Shaw> He nodded in acknowlegment, happy she didn't hold him to blame, and held her tight.

<Jessica> She was still shaking, though it had lessened a fair bit, "You sure you're okay? I'm sorry about the pheromones..."

<Shaw> "It's all right, you were frightened." He was careful of her hair, knowing it likely contained more of those troublesome pheromones, but kissed her forehead anyway. "So was I."

<Jessica> She nodded, taking a deep breath to breathe him in and calm herself down more, "Did-" She bit her lip, "Did you have a bad dream too...?"

<Shaw> "Yes." Her shaking had nearly stopped now and he ran his fingers through her hair, reminding himself that this was real. "I suspect one or the other of us drew the other into it."

<Jessica> "Guess it doesn't matter whose fault it was... I'm sort of glad it happened..."

<Shaw> "Oh?" This stopped his movement for just a moment.

<Jessica> "I don't know how bad it would have gotten if you hadn't woken us up... I thought she'd come to take me again..."

<Shaw> It took him a beat to answer, after a hard swallow. "I will do everything in my power to prevent that."

<Jessica> "I know you will..." she nuzzled his neck and pressed a soft kiss there, tightening her arms around him.

<Shaw> Returning the squeeze, he moved away and took her hand, leading her back to their bed. "I saw Madelyne."

<Jessica> She squeezed his hand, "I'm sorry..." she shivered a little as she thought of the things she could have seen instead of Viper.

<Shaw> He sat and pulled her into his lap. "Madelyne, and Angelina, but here, in this place." Despite himself and Jessica's warm presence, he shivered slightly.

<Jessica> Jess curled into him, happy to be close to him. She slid her arms around his shoulders, stroking the ends of his hair at the back of his neck with her fingertips. "What did they want?"

<Shaw> Frowning, he shook his head. "I can't remember." Sebastian closed his eyes, enjoying her attention. "I just remember feeling you, and your fear, and pulling you through a window." He huffed softly and dismissed the content of the dream.

<Jessica> She cuddled close to him again and pressed a kiss to his cheek, "You're getting good at this saving me from myself thing."

<Shaw> He gave her a crooked smile. "So it would seem. Still, I apologize for my intrusion..."

<Jessica> "It's okay... really... it could have been worse if it hadn't happened... I might have hurt you..."

<Shaw> "It's likely either of us could have hurt the other without intent." Tucking a lock of hair behind her ear, he sighed. "I feel I should tell you something."

<Jessica> "Maybe... but I think the walls have more to fear," she offered a half smile before her expression turned serious again, "Tell me what?"

<Shaw> Chuckling a little, his smile faded. "You know my feelings for you, yes?"

<Jessica> She nodded, "You tell me often... and I like that you do..."

<Shaw> That brought his smile back, if briefly, then he took a deep breath. "It makes it difficult for me to separate my emotions from yours, at times."

<Jessica> She frowned again, tilting her head to one side in confusion. "Is this a pheromones thing...? Because I promise I'm trying..."

<Shaw> "No, no, not at all, love," he assured her. "It's my telepathy."

<Jessica> Her confused state didn't lesson any, "I don't.... how? Am I doing something wrong?"

<Shaw> "No." Sebastian sighed, resting his forehead against hers. "I'm making a mess of this." Licking his lips, he tried again. "I can feel you - sense you... frankly, most of the time. If we're in the same building, close enough..."

<Jessica> "I don't know what you mean..." Maybe she needed more sleep to figure it out. She yawned, hiding it behind her hand and turning her face into his chest.

<Shaw> "Telepaths can create... connections, of a sort. Between his or her own mind and the mind of someone they love, or, frankly, target, but that isn't the case here." He fidgeted slightly, arms tightening around her. "A powerful telepath can maintain a link across continents."

<Jessica> "So... I should be flattered that we're sharing dreams now?"

<Shaw> "Jess, love, it means we share much more than dreams." Sebastian lowered his head, burrowing his nose in the crook between her neck and shoulder.

<Jessica> She smiled and snuggled into him, "So you know how much I feel for you too..."

<Shaw> "Yes," he said with a smile. "But I know you have reservations about telepathy, so I've been hesitant to... well, to point it out."

<Jessica> "It's different with you, though... I trust you... I know you'll treat me properly... you always have even when you didn't have to..."

<Shaw> Squeezing his eyes closed, his smile grew wider. Everything is different with you, and it's why we have this bond.

<Jessica> I'm glad we do... Please don't think you have to hide things from me to protect me... I'd rather know... is that okay? She pushed her fingers into the hair at the back of his neck again.

<Shaw> It's just as I want it. His arms tightened around her, his own fingers brushing through her hair.

<Jessica> Good... I like that we agree about everything. She lifted her head enough to kiss at his neck.