Shadowland Event

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Shadowland Event

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So what does everyone think of this Shadowland event?

The summary for what this story is about can be found at marvel.com but I'll copy/paste some of what the article on the site says here to start some conversation:
Hell's Kitchen becomes the epicenter of conflict this July as the street-level heroes of the Marvel Universe begin to question Matt Murdock's role as leader of the Hand in SHADOWLAND #1, the first issue of a limited series by writer Andy Diggle and artist Billy Tan unfolding concurrently with the events of DAREDEVIL #507-511.

Given the title, it comes as no surprise that the story centers around Shadowland, a prison/temple constructed on the ruins of a Hell's Kitchen building destroyed-along with numerous lives-by Bullseye during Dark Reign. While construction had only just begun when Daredevil recently departed for Japan, it will be completed and in full use by the start of the event.

"We'll see this play out a bit in the books, but the actual building

SHADOWLAND #1 cover by John Cassaday
happened very quickly," editor Stephen Wacker reveals. "The area has become a protectorate of the Hand as Matt is trying to mold this international organization of assassins and criminals into a force for justice. And so far it's working; the streets of the Kitchen are safe for the people to walk through. Crime has all but disappeared."
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Shadowland Event

Post by Svartfreja »

Hmm, making the badguys do good. Sounds neat... so what have the 'street-level heroes' got to say about it?

Questioning his leadership? Does that mean they think it's BAD he made the baddies good? Or are they just really bored 'cause there's no more small time crooks to bash over the head and tie up for the police?

Some people are never happy....
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Shadowland Event

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I think Daredevil's objective is to right wrongs made by "The Hand", but I'm sure there's secretly a 'wider-scope' underhanded deal going on that he is not aware of.

However; this puts him at edge with all the others, 'cause they don't get where he's coming form introducing supa-evil-ninjas to their streets. Bit suspicious. And he's always ridden that line pretty hard between hero and vigilante.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Shadowland Event

Post by Svartfreja »

tbh I think a LOT of heroes are on that line... why they picking on him? meanies. If there's no crime and the bad guys are helping out it's gotta be a good thing... and if something dodgy IS going on, someone should tell him and let him fix it nicely.... but that would make a crappy story so they probably won't

I'm sure I won't read it but it'd be cool to see where it went.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Shadowland Event

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

No one has held life or death in their hands quite like Murdock has though.

When you hold Kingpin's comatose wife in your arms, in a position that allows you to easily break her neck, just to get back at him for all the terrible, horrible, pain and suffering he has put Murdock and so many others through... You're officially skimming the line. LOL

I think Spider-Man has always been CONSIDERED a vigilante, but that's due to bad press *COUGH*JONAH!*COUGH*

Iron Fist and the others they're just... dudes. Dudes who walk around and do what's right. Elektra & Murdock are the only two in that immediate batch whose methods can be questioned sometimes.

Ghost Rider's as well. Who is probably going to show up.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Shadowland Event

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Lookin' good for Gambit to take the mantle of "Man Without Fear".

This means a monthly (possibly Bi-Monthly?) Gambit book will be out.

Gambit would not be sporting the red tights, that's not how this works. He'll just be the next "Man Without Fear".
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Shadowland Event

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well, that wait didn't last long.

[url=httphttp://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/09/daredevil-to-become-black-panther-the-man-without-fear/]Black Panther[/url] takes up the metaphorical "Cowl" as "Man Without Fear". Weird choice, I'll be honest. Seems like an easy route out.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Shadowland Event

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

My Letter to Marvel:

I was under the impression Daredevil was done-for. I knew his character had lost drastic popularity (that poor excuse for a movie didn't help), and I knew the character's days were numbered. But writers like Brian Michael Bendis, Kevin Smith, and Andy Diggle have preserved and reformed the parts I loved best of Matt Murdock, the Man Without Fear. Then 'Shadowland' happened.

I was horrified. I was anxious to see the story. I was excited and weary of the idea of one of the few Marvel characters to walk the line between control and helplessness, between justice and vigilantism, having his very essence splayed and separated. I knew one of my favorite characters was going to be spoiled, tarnished, and pissed on to make a quick-buck for a snappy event.

I was wrong.

Andy Diggle helmed one of the most impressive cross-over events I've seen in a long time. Though it wasn't large-scale or major like 'Siege' it didn't need to be. The use of the street-level characters, the return to glory of some old friends who I have felt had lacking appearances over the last few years (Ghost Rider/Misty Knight to name a few), and most importantly -- the idea that Daredevil can die, and Murdock survive, all was bloody brilliant. The concept of having Murdock live, only to go find himself and in essence a rebirth of the Man Without Fear who we all love so much, is a wonderful concept indeed.

I was even impressed with the choice to have Black Panther join the streets of Hell's Kitchen as the new Man Without Fear (though to be honest -- I would've preferred Remy LeBeau/Gambit). There is very little I find wrong with the recent direction of Daredevil comics and I praise Andy Diggle's new take on the character as well as his new 4-Part Limited Series. The first issue was quite decent and I'm looking forward to others. It's nice to see a writer who understands you can take Daredevil out of Hell's Kitchen, but you can't take the Hell's Kitchen out of Daredevil. Just as there always needs to be a fearless protector in those slums, those slums always need to stay with Murdock, so he can continue to be Daredevil.

On a side (and almost entirely unrelated) note, I do want to know what happened to that statement that all titles for Marvel starting in January 2011 dropping to $2.99.

Keep up the good work, keep making fans happy!

-Ty

--
"I believe all anyone really wants in this life is to sit in peace & eat a sandwich." - Liz Lemon
"If those in power can't be trusted, it is the responsibility of the people to remove them." - Uncle Ben,'Noir'
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Shadowland Event

Post by Wahnsinn »

Nice letter. :)
On a side (and almost entirely unrelated) note, I do want to know what happened to that statement that all titles for Marvel starting in January 2011 dropping to $2.99.
I can give you the answer to that: They never said any such thing; although, it's what a lot of people mistakenly took away from the announcement.

There is, however, a rumor swirling about that they might go the DC route in the near future by shortening books to 20 pages and pricing them at $2.99. Until then, they'll continue doing regular-sized (32-page) standard (i.e., completely unnecessary) minis and titles (32-page stuff starting with a #1 in January or later (over-sized #1 excluded!)) at $2.99 as announced. Old stuff is fair game for keeping the $3.99 price tag if it already had it, and new stuff is fair game for the $3.99 (or higher) price tag if it's over-sized (40+ pages).
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Shadowland Event

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So why did "Magneto" and the Black Panther title fall to $2.99?

I explicitly remember reading an article from CBR (and at least one other source) during the Comic-Con that stated immediately after DC's announcement, Marvel jumped on board but only with "titles after the new year".

Which sucked 'cause they rebooted a lot of their series right before. LOL!
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Shadowland Event

Post by Wahnsinn »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:So why did "Magneto" and the Black Panther title fall to $2.99?
The former is a movie-related one-shot of normal length, landing it clearly under the banner of something limited that is not part of an event nor of a page count that merits a price hike. As for Black Panther, I suspect they were nervous about retaining sales; the last Black Panther title tanked horribly. They probably don't think a title starring that character can survive the higher price tag.

Mind you, I didn't say that all titles already at $3.99 would definitely keep that price but that all titles already there are fair game to keep it. :smirk
I explicitly remember reading an article from CBR (and at least one other source) during the Comic-Con that stated immediately after DC's announcement, Marvel jumped on board but only with "titles after the new year".

Which sucked 'cause they rebooted a lot of their series right before. LOL!
That's what happens when a reporter gets too excited. David Gabriel from Marvel, the guy who made the statement, said the following: "Because of some of the digital sales, we’ll be going back to $2.99 for some titles in January.â€
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Shadowland Event

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

That's bull shit though.

DC changed practically all their titles to $2.99, and Marvel still remains at $3.99. I'm paying $3.99 over once a month for Amazing Spider-Man ALONE, each month, and I can get any Flash, Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman (or even Green Lantern) for $2.99. What is Marvel thinking??

[Edited on 9/2/11 by Ult_Sm86]
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Shadowland Event

Post by Wahnsinn »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:That's bull shit though.

DC changed practically all their titles to $2.99, and Marvel still remains at $3.99. I'm paying $3.99 over once a month for Amazing Spider-Man ALONE, each month, and I can get any Flash, Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman (or even Green Lantern) for $2.99. What is Marvel thinking??

[Edited on 9/2/11 by Ult_Sm86]
They're thinking they have to cover their costs (production, creative staff salaries, etc.) and still make a profit. Marvel is a business.

Keep in mind that DC also cut story pages to make that price drop happen. Artists are paid by the page, so losing two pages of story means they take a pay cut. There's a lot of negotiating to be done to make a price change like that a reality.

Will Marvel do it? Maybe. Several things factor into it, but in the end, it comes down to whether or not doing so would be a benefit to the company.
JackSkulls
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Nightscrawlearth Character: :maverick :shaman

Shadowland Event

Post by JackSkulls »

So Far I've only read the Moon Knight Shadowland stuff, and so far i'm impressed. It's pretty ominous. I might get the rest just to catch the whole story
:maverick (weapon-x) :shaman (alpha Fight)
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Shadowland Event

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Matt, I'd highly suggest the Ghost Rider stuff. The artwork is the guy who's on the "Return of Carnage" book, and who did most of the artwork for "X-Force", Clayton Crain.