Marvel leading up to a NEW Excalibur? (Anything's possible!)

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Another possibility is some weird creative cycle that's simply drawing creators and editors back to that material. It could be what some of them know best or remember most fondly from their days as readers, so they have enough passion for the material that they're able to construct pitches liked by the senior editors. The X-titles have also seen a return of Morrison's content from the early '00s: The World, Fantomex, Quentin Quire, etc. Honestly, I sometimes wonder if HoM/Decimation had a detrimental effect on the creative possibilities for the X-titles because it seems they've been dusting off old material ever since. Of course, one could argue that the Avengers line has been going in circles for a while as well. Maybe the House is suffering from a shortage of Ideas?
Also, just finished reading #19.1 .... Kitty meets Darkholme. :3

I dunno, splitting the X-Men up, killing off Nightcrawler, and then having the various X-Men teams and the Avengers go to war with each other are four fairly original plots out of the Marvel house of idea peoples. Granted the war is going to be sparked by an already done plot (HoM, return of Wanda), but they've never gone so far as getting into fisticuffs with eachother before. The fall-out fro that should be interesting.

As for covering 90's material, it makes sense that they would go back to that. You're right about the crash, but you're also right about the success of their comics right before it. And maybe there is a timetable to use characters but I think there's also the specific point that each character they have brought back has a fanbase with a "Pokémon" attitude. That is to say; they gotta catch 'em all. You can't just get the one book Carnage is featured in if you're a Carnage fan. You gotta get 'em all.

I agree there's no end to the number of reasons a book could be doing well, but isn't that what write-ins and forums like this are for? If they see a Nightcrawler related title go up, see forum posts like ours, Formspring responses, twitter shout-outs, Facebook updates, and hand written write-ins to Marvel, telling them they approve, that's the only notification they really need.

I don't see those types of notifications going away and more importantly, I see all Blue-Elf fans using these various forms of communication to let Marvel know, we approve. (Or don't approve, if we don't.) Point is, I think the Nightcrawler fans are here and they're going to be impressed (I hope) and are going to let Tom & company no. I know I will.

[Edited on 27/12/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:Also, just finished reading #19.1 .... Kitty meets Darkholme. :3
Spoilers! (We don't get our comics until the weekend. *sniff*)
I'm surprised they'd do that so soon. Ah well, I never claimed to be psychic. ;)
I dunno, splitting the X-Men up, killing off Nightcrawler, and then having the various X-Men teams and the Avengers go to war with each other are four fairly original plots out of the Marvel house of idea peoples. Granted the war is going to be sparked by an already done plot (HoM, return of Wanda), but they've never gone so far as getting into fisticuffs with eachother before. The fall-out fro that should be interesting.
I've seen some people referring to a short clash between the teams back in the '80s, but I've done no research to verify that. Pitting good guys against good guys in major events, though, is something they've been doing repeatedly over the last several years. The X-Men experienced a similar split once before, but it wasn't as large. Remember X-treme X-Men?
As for covering 90's material, it makes sense that they would go back to that. You're right about the crash, but you're also right about the success of their comics right before it. And maybe there is a timetable to use characters but I think there's also the specific point that each character they have brought back has a fanbase with a "Pokémon" attitude. That is to say; they gotta catch 'em all. You can't just get the one book Carnage is featured in if you're a Carnage fan. You gotta get 'em all.
Believe me, I know that mentality all too well. My hubby follows Batman, Spider-Man, and Wolverine that way; although, even he's reached a point of exhaustion with Wolvie's appearances. We no longer get every mini. I've hit the same point with X-Men, as a team, thanks to the number of ongoing titles in the line. I'll go out of my way for Kurt and Blink, but that's about it.
I agree there's no end to the number of reasons a book could be doing well, but isn't that what write-ins and forums like this are for? If they see a Nightcrawler related title go up, see forum posts like ours, Formspring responses, twitter shout-outs, Facebook updates, and hand written write-ins to Marvel, telling them they approve, that's the only notification they really need.
The thing is, as I mentioned before, they tend to dismiss the internet outlets as representative of a vocal minority rather than the voice of the majority. I recall seeing a Formspring query to Brevoort that asked him his opinion on a CBR poll, and he really didn't find much value in it. They seem to put slightly more stock in letters and e-mails, but I've seen some indication that those reinforce the idea that much of what is seen on internet forums is a vocal minority. Ultimately, sales top the list, and those don't provide much in the way of specifics. :shrug
I don't see those types of notifications going away and more importantly, I see all Blue-Elf fans using these various forms of communication to let Marvel know, we approve. (Or don't approve, if we don't.) Point is, I think the Nightcrawler fans are here and they're going to be impressed (I hope) and are going to let Tom & company no. I know I will.
As well we all should. The person at whom you really want to aim is Nick Lowe. He's the head X-editor.