Mr. Cockrum's DC work.

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
emblemcomics
Lubber
Lubber

Mr. Cockrum's DC work.

Post by emblemcomics »

Hi,
I'm new to the boards and I would consider myself more of a DC fan (though, I like the fuzzy elf). I'm a huge fan of Mr Cockrum's work, and I have a few questions regarding his later DC art:

1) Is the checklist (in Mr. Cockrum's website) updated with all his later DC artwork ?

2) What is your favorite DC art of past and more recent works ?

3) I've recently purchased an original art page from
'Wonder Woman Annual' #5, this book was written by John Byrne and inked by Norm Breyfogle. Is it the only published comic by Dave to feature the Superman villain - 'Doomsday'?

4) Also regarding 'Wonder Woman Annual' #5 -
Can anyone tell me a little about the back-story behind this book ? It's a strange tale, told only in captions, beautifully illustrated but very strange.

I was surprised to see Mr. Byrne and Mr. Cockrum working together on the same book, since I understand, they are not what you would call "best friends".

Are there other "team-ups" by Byrne and Cockrum ?

How did Mr Breyfogle got involved ?

Thanks for your time and (hopefully) for answering my questions,
Gal
emblemcomics
Lubber
Lubber

Mr. Cockrum's DC work.

Post by emblemcomics »

BTW, here are links to images of the page I bought.

I hope to be able to provide a better scan later on, since those images don't do it justice.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiec ... GSub=14281

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiec ... t=0&UCat=0

P.S: Mr. Cockrum - Do you remember if Mr. Breyfogle inked those pages directly on your pencils, or was it on a blue line reproduction page ? and if it's on a repro, does the original pencil pages exist ? maybe for sale ? :worship
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Mr. Cockrum's DC work.

Post by Dark Bamf »

Here's how it went, as best I remember--

1) Is the checklist (in Mr. Cockrum's website) updated with all his later DC artwork ?

a) Probably not. A friend put it up, and I haven't gone over it yet to verify it.

2) What is your favorite DC art of past and more recent works ?

a) Obviously, I'm very fond of the Legion. I'm also very fond of the Justice League annual I penciled.

3) I've recently purchased an original art page from
'Wonder Woman Annual' #5, this book was written by John Byrne and inked by Norm Breyfogle. Is it the only published comic by Dave to feature the Superman villain - 'Doomsday'?

a) Yes.

4) Also regarding 'Wonder Woman Annual' #5 -
Can anyone tell me a little about the back-story behind this book ? It's a strange tale, told only in captions, beautifully illustrated but very strange.

a) That annual was part of a series crossover throughout the entire DC line. Each annual took place in some future timeline, long after the deaths of the actual characters.

5) I was surprised to see Mr. Byrne and Mr. Cockrum working together on the same book, since I understand, they are not what you would call "best friends".

a) So was I. John actually requested me on the book. I suspect he couldn't find anybody else. :LOL

6)Are there other "team-ups" by Byrne and Cockrum ?

a) No.

7) How did Mr Breyfogle got involved ?

a) I assume he was assigned by DC editorial.

P.S: Mr. Cockrum - Do you remember if Mr. Breyfogle inked those pages directly on your pencils, or was it on a blue line reproduction page ? and if it's on a repro, does the original pencil pages exist ? maybe for sale ?

a) He inked it directly on my pencils. If you'll look closely at your original, you'll probably see traces of the original pencils. Conversely, you won't see any traces of blue line.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
emblemcomics
Lubber
Lubber

Mr. Cockrum's DC work.

Post by emblemcomics »

Thank you for your detailed answer, Mr. Cockrum !

Just recently I bought most of your "post-crisis" DC comics that appeared on your checklist. Wish I could find any '90-up DC comics with your superb pencils.

If anyone remember any other "post-crisis" DC issue that doesn't appear on the list, please let me know.

Thanks again,
Gal
emblemcomics
Lubber
Lubber

Just read

Post by emblemcomics »

I've just finished reading the pack of DC comics (from the '90 and Y2K's) that featured Mr. Cockrum's amazing art.

I too, really enjoyed your work on that Justice League annual. I also liked all your Wonder Woman related stuff - you really draw some great looking amazons ;pant !

Hopefully, when you feel well enough, maybe my dream (and many other fans' dream) can come true, and we'll see some new DC related Cockrum magic !

P.S: I still can't believe that I own your only published rendition of DOOMSDAY ! you illustrated him with such energetic and raw animalistic power, that I was sure you had worked on him before. I guess your past work on characters such as Juggernaut and Hulk had something to do with it ?
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Mr. Cockrum's DC work.

Post by Dark Bamf »

Possibly. Although, I never felt I did justice to either of them.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Mr. Cockrum's DC work.

Post by BH123 »

I don't have a list like that on-hand. But, I can tell you what I recall off the top of my head...

The majority of Dave Cockrum's Legion of Super-Heroes is reprinted in Legion Archives volumn 10 . So I apsolutely positively recommend picking that one up :thumbup

Dave also contributed to a few later issues of the Legion...
1) Legion #275: cover art
2) Legion vol 2 #45 (the 30th anniversary issue): 5 page sequence
3) Legion vol ??? #25 (cover date Dec 03): 5 page sequence

Secret Origins #42 has a Phantom Girl story by Dave (I'm still looking for a copy of this one)

Green Lantern Corps Quarterly #3 has a great story pencilled by Dave featuring an aquatic alien GL. The story is titled Depth Charges... yeah, it's a pun :LOL

Green Lantern vol 3 #43 was inked by Dave

Justice League America annual #6 was pencilled by Dave. that's the 1992 annual with Eclipso in it.

I know there's some other stuff out there, like some "World of Krypton" stories I've never read, and a GL issue from the 1970s where he fights Hector Hammond, and some short stories from Justice League Quarterly. But I don't recall exact issue numbers. Perhaps some of this might jog other people's memories.