9/22 Issue: Phoenix Pharms

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

9/22 Issue: Phoenix Pharms

Post by Esynthia »

Timeline: A Couple of Days Prior to The Awakening

Jamie: Jamie locked the door and looked up at the new sign hanging above it with a grin. It had taken a lot of work to get here, but he was proud of it. Proud of himself. He slipped the piece of paper from his pocket and looked at the address again before hopping into his car and putting it into his phone's GPS.

Jamie: His detective agency was still relatively new, but the police already trusted him with tracking down a woman running a marijuana business. A mutant, he mentally corrected, running a marijuana business. Jamie didn't fool himself for one minute in thinking they hired him because they knew of his work. They hired him so they wouldn't be blamed if the shit hit the fan.

Jamie: That was perfectly fine with him, though! It was a gig and it would go on his list for people looking to hire him in the future. He was the unknown in the equation for this woman. The 'X-Factor' she wouldn't see coming.

Jamie: He smirked and pulled onto the highway, heading for the outskirts of town and her last known location. Phoenix Pharms. Ha! What kind of ridiculous name was that? There was no clever thought behind it besides the 'ph' in Pharms.

Maddy: Running a dispensary was harder work than Maddy had anticipated. There were sooo many permits. Lots of government types to deal with, and not all of them were dumb, unfortunately.

Maddy: Still, Phoenix Pharms was open for business and business was good. Good enough that she'd hired an assistant to help her run the shop while she monitored... quality control. Ofc.

Maddy: "Hey, Redd, I'll be in my office," she said, moving through the surprisingly tastfully decorated shop to the door to the private labs.

Jamie: Jamie pulled up on the other side of the road from the shop and frowned at it, then frowned at the paper, then frowned at his GPS, then frowned again at the shop. After a few seconds of looking it over, he shrugged and killed the engine.

Jamie: Couldn't hurt to check it out, even if it was the wrong address. After all, wouldn't be able to tell the police it was the wrong address if he didn't thoroughly vet the business. Jamie grabbed his trench coat from the passenger seat and got out, pulling it on in a flourish and popping the collar. All he was missing was a fedora. Dick Tracy would be proud. If he were a real person.

Jamie: Jamie punched the manual lock on the old car, shut the door, looked both ways because that's what a sensible person does, and crossed the street. He glanced in the window and smirked at the cute girl inside, then pushed the door open with a bright grin.

Maddy: After passing through the lab where the science nerd she'd hired to make sure they did things right worked, Maddy swung around the corner and went into her office. She shut the door. It was break time, after all.

Redd: At the counter, Redd, whose hair matched her name, looked up at the sound of the bell. "Welcome to Phoenix Pharms. Let me know if I can help you."

Jamie: "Will do. Thanks," Jamie gave her a nod and started to walk around the shop, looking at everything on the shelves, slightly fascinated. He picked up a glass bottle labeled 'patchouli' and very nearly dropped it when he tried to open it to smell. After a couple of fumbles, he grasped it tightly and very carefully set it back on the shelf with a quick glance at the red head.

Jamie: He cleared his throat and moved to another shelf, not touching this time. Weird names on the bottles, but the store smelled really nice. After poking around for another few moments, he walked up to the counter and gave the girl a smirk. "Hey. So, I'm relatively new to all of this," he waved a hand at the store in general, "and would love some help picking out just the right thing." He could investigate and pick up a date for the evening, right? He may be on duty, but he wasn't dead.

Redd: "Relatively new, huh?" She set aside the magazine and returned his smirk. "Well, what is the effect you're looking for?"

Maddy: Back in her office, Maddy knew exactly what effect she was going for and savored her special brew. She looked up at the bank of security monitors and spotted the customer. She blinked. That was one hell of a big coat.

Jamie: Jamie leaned on the counter with one elbow, "Not really sure yet. What's your favorite? Maybe we can try it together." He shrugged his free shoulder then put his hand in his pocket, "Just so I can make sure I'm getting the right 'effect'." Boy, what was it with him and red heads? He couldn't seem to resist them.

Redd: Redd was a professional, despite her hippy exterior, and she held her laugh in. "Well, it depends on if you're into Indica, or Sativa?" She picked up a chart to show him. "We also have a fine collection of heirloom strains, such as Panama red. We even have some of the feral strains..." she shared in a low voice.

Maddy: Maddy perched on the edge of her desk and sipped her cold brew. There was something really familiar about this guy, but the video quality wasn't the best. Also, the back of most guy's heads looked the same. Yet, she couldn't look away.

Jamie: "Feral, huh?" He matched her tone and switched his stance to lean both elbows on the counter, making his eyes level with hers so he could give her the full effect of his green gaze. "That sounds like it could lead to a pretty good time."

Redd: "Oh... definitely." She smirked, twirling a lock of hair around her finger. Especially since that was glorified ditch weed for beginners.

Maddy: It was really bothering her now and her stomach was in anxious knots. She KNEW that head. She considered going out there, but instead decided to give the guy a mental poke.

Jamie: Oooh. He liked it when they did that. His smirk grew into a grin and he reached out to replace her finger with his. "Does it make you feel like a feral mutant? Because that could be a pretty wild ride," he let his voice go husky. And then he lost a bit of composure as he felt his brain being prodded. Hey! He mentally swatted whoever it was away and turned his attention back to the cutie.

Maddy: Maddy's mouth dropped open and she nearly fumbled her cold brew too. Stains! No! This suit was Chanel!

Maddy: She grabbed for some tissues and dabbed at the mess, looking up at the screen again just in time to see his little move. "Ooooh, you... never learned any new tricks?!" She was too flustered to effectively insult.

Redd: "I'd have to be a mutant first for that." Redd gave him a sweet smile and stood up, freeing her hair from his grabby hand.

Jamie: Jamie took the hint and pulled his hand back. "Well, yeah. But I've seen one of them going berserk before and they just seemed totally in their own world, ya know?" Oh, job. Right. Focus. He had gone into his own world there for a minute... "So, I was told that I might be able to get some sort of trip that would make me feel like one of them. Mutants, I mean, not necessarily a feral. But that I had to ask for Pyre. S'at you?"

Redd: Redd gave him a perplexed look, then brightened. "Oh, no. That's my boss." She looked him over. Maddy probably would like this guy, but... "You know, weed does not a mutant make."

Maddy: Oh, once upon a time, Maddy really had liked this guy. Really really liked this guy. In fact, she'd loved him. Then things went to shit, so she was currently having a panic attack.

Jamie: Jamie laughed and shook his head, standing up himself, "No, I'm sure not. But to feel the high they must get from having powers? I mean, can you imagine?" He looked down at the counter, then looked up with just his eyes once he was done looking at the stuff in the case. "So, can I meet your boss? Or do I need to be a V.I.P. first?"

Redd: "I've heard some of them really suck," Redd said, pulling out another chart for her customer. "Sure, if you want to meet her, I can buzz her up."

Jamie: That made him laugh again, "Literally, yeah, I've met a few people whose powers were to suck things from you one way or another." And then his mind was thinking about other kinds of sucking. Work could wait, right? He could always come back later. "You don't have to do that if you don't want to. You eat, right? Could go grab a burger or something."

Redd: "Powers to... suck... things?" Redd's pert nose turned up and she reached for the phone. "Oh, it's no trouble." Nope. None at all. Mayday!

Maddy: Maddy was still busy panicking when her phone buzzed in the code for assistance up front. "Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod!" How long had it been since she'd seen him? What would she saaaaay? Why was he here anyway, flirting with her assistant?

Maddy: It was that one that annoyed her enough to make her get up from her chair and check her hair and lipstick in the mirror.

Maddy: She popped five gummies in her mouth and grabbed a refill of her cold brew.

Jamie: "Yeah. There was this one chick who could suck another mutant's powers or a normal person's memories or something. I hear she works for the president now, though, so I guess that's cool." He shrugged and gave her a nod of thanks. Guess lunch would have to wait. "Well, if you're sure. Oh, I'm sorry. I totally forgot to introduce myself," Jamie stuck out a hand, "John. John Maddox."

Maddy: Maddy stopped right outside of the door to the dispensary floor. John? Dupe? Closing her eyes, she checked again, just to be sure this was him.

Redd: "Oh, wow..." Redd gave his hand a look, hoping Maddy was coming. Maybe this weirdo with the mutant obsession was one of those sucky kind too. After a moment, she took his hand. "Redd Dayspring. My folks were second generation hippies... I grew up in a mushroom house."

Jamie: Jamie shook her hand and let it fall away, not wanting to push it again. She already thinks you're kind of a creeper, Madrox. Don't make it worse. He laughed, "In a mushroom? Like the old woman in the shoe type of in?" Jamie flinched at the prodding again and shook his head to try and clear it. He tried to focus for a second on pulling his shields tighter like Jean had taught him so long ago.

Redd: "Hippies, not fairy tales," she laughed, amused by his confused expression. "Yeah, it was made of mushrooms, not one giant mushroom. And no, they weren't magic mushrooms."

Maddy: Maddy straightened her mauve suit and the black corset underneath it. She took a long sip of her special brew, looked down for a boob check, then opened the door and stepped out.

Maddy: She knew it was him from the moment she'd touched his mind, but seeing him here, with her own eyes. Shiiiiiiiiit.

Jamie: He laughed some more, "Well then what's the point of living in a mushroom if they're not ma-" Jamie's voice left him for a moment as he turned to look at the woman coming through the door, "gic... Uh. I..." Words, man! "That's, um..." He cleared his throat and turned back to Redd, "Sorry, um. is that Maddy Pyre?" Jamie made sure to pitch his voice low, hoping only Redd heard him.

Jamie: His heart was beating hard and he felt like he was going to puke, but he was working, dammit and he would be professional!

Redd: "Yep, that's her. She's the owner. Why are we whispering?"

Maddy: The second she saw his face she wished she'd mastered that ability to make other people think they didn't see her. Shit. Head up, shoulders back, Maddy did her best fashion model sway to the counter, her heels clicking on the sleek tile floor.

Jamie: "B-because... Um." Oh shit. Here she comes. "I just wanted to make sure before I made an even bigger ass out of myself with her than I already have with you?" Jamie rolled his shoulders in his coat and scratched at the scruff on his cheek. Jeannie. Damn. Now what?

Jamie: "Ms. Pyre," he felt his voice go up an octave and he cleared it before speaking again. "My name is, uh, John," he stuck his hand out abruptly to her, then pulled it back, not wanting her to touch him, knowing what that might do to him. And then he stuck it back out because he was a professional. Hell. That's where he was. He was in hell.

Maddy: "Nice to meet you, John," she said, with an overly sweet smile, and took his hand in a firm grip that she immediately regretted.

Maddy: She dropped his hand like it scalded before she could embarrass herself. "I'm Maddy Pyre." WOW. Her voice was normal! She was GOOD.

Maddy: "Perhaps we should speak in my office?" She took a sip of her brew to calm her nerves.

Jamie: "Sure. Yep. We can, um... yeah. We can do that." He was definitely in hell. Or Heaven? Maybe he just thought it was hell? Jamie's hand was all tingly from where she'd held it and he balled it up, shoving it in the pocket of his coat, not sure if he wanted to keep the feeling or get rid of it. He gave Redd a smile, "Pleasure to meet you, Ms. Dayspring."

Maddy: "Thank you, Redd." Maddy gave her assistant an almost professional smile and turned on one spiked heel, clutching her Starbucks cup in both hands as she started for the back door. "This way, Mr. Maddox."

Maddy: She'd half convinced herself it could be a dupe until they touched. It was really Jamie, and her heart was racing and she kind of wanted to barf.

Jamie: Jamie followed her in a kind of stupor. How long had it been since they'd seen each other? Suddenly he couldn't even do simple math and that made him mentally groan in frustration. His dad would be so disappointed in him.

Jamie: All he wanted to do was shove her against a wall and kiss her. But he also wanted to shake her. And he wanted to do the job he was hired for. So maybe he didn't only want to kiss her. His head tilted a bit as he watched her walk. He could think of many more things he wanted to do to her. With her. Ugh. Yep. Hell. That's the consensus. He was in hell and he wasn't sure what he did to wind up here.

Maddy: She scanned her security card and opened the door, holding it for him and making the terrible, awful mistake of meeting those eyes. She shivered.

Jamie: So green. His hand started to reach up automatically, wanting to touch her cheek, but he forced it back down before it was even past her hip. Jamie cleared his throat again and walked past her, then turned to hold the door for her to be able to come through unhindered. Jeannie...

Maddy: "Thanks..." She didn't dare look again, because she could still feel him. Shock, excitement, frustration. His emotions seemed to seek the triple-locked box where she'd buried their link.

Maddy: Taking another security sip, she picked up speed to lead him to her office and opened the door, stepping inside first and looking down at her hand on the knob. It was shaking.

Jamie: Jamie followed her inside and tried to look anywhere but at her, but his eyes were drawn to her as if no time had passed. He felt like the fumbling kid he was when they first met. He shifted his shoulders under his coat again and took a breath. He could do this. He had to do this. Jamie turned to face her fully, "Jeannie," his voice came out as a questioning whisper and he kind of hated himself for it.

Maddy: She bit the inside of her lip, hearing him say her name a thousand times through their years together. She closed the door, clutching her cup. As much as she really just wanted to pounce him, kiss him... do lots of things to him... She also just wanted to cry.

Maddy: Jean tried a breathing exercise that totally didn't work and finally looked at him. Bad idea! Those eyes. She'd always loved those clear green eyes so much.

Maddy: She cleared her throat. "Jamie. It's... um... why..." Shit! "Can I help you with something?" She winced at herself.

Jamie: He reached for her again, but didn't stop himself this time. Jamie's hand floated up to the ends of her hair and he let it slide through his fingers before letting it fall away. "I, um..." He looked up to meet her eyes again and winced. This was a job, Madrox! Get it together!

Jamie: "I'm a detective," he finally managed. His heart hurt and felt like it was going to stop and overwork itself all at the same time. "Was hired... for... to... yeah..."

Maddy: Jean closed her eyes at his fingers gliding through her hair. She bit down on her lower lip, hard, fighting the tears that came to her eyes.

Maddy: "You're a..." It made her nearly choke on a giggle. "Congratulations then, I know that's what you always wanted..."

Maddy: Wait, he was hired for what then? All those warm fuzzy conflicted feelings fucked off and she shot him a look. "I'm a job?!"

Jamie: Jamie felt a smile start to form on his face at her giggle. He had missed that sound. He started to take a step in to her and then she got angry and he backed away instead. "Yes," he squeaked, then swallowed. "Well, I didn't know it was you you... Or any you for that matter." No, that's you, dumbass. She can't multiply. "I didn't know it was you, Jean. I wouldn't have taken the job if I knew."

Maddy: It was a good thing he backed up since she put her cup down to better put her hands on her hips and give him the death glare. "Any of me? Whatever." She rolled her eyes, realizing he was panicking.

Maddy: "What is the job?" She took a step toward him. "Is it that weasel at Up In Smoke? He's a sexist asshat!"

Jamie: "N-no." Jamie wanted to beat his head on the wall. Dick Tracy would be so disappointed in him. "I don't even know where that is." He reached up and scratched at his scruff again instead of hitting his head, trying to look anywhere but into her angry eyes. She sure packed those when she left for work this morning.

Jamie: "Just... ya know... um. The... uh..." Should he say it? It was Jean. But it was a job. "ARG!" Both hands went into his hair and he scrubbed at his head. "I'll just tell them I can't do it. Fuck!" He did turn and kick the wall then, glad he was wearing his coat to keep his mutation in check.

Maddy: "Jamie!" She started toward him, expecting to have a couple of him now, and maybe the other one wouldn't mind hanging around... Focus! She sighed and moved closer. "Can't you just tell me what this is all about?"

Jamie: "I'm fine." He took a deep breath and turned to face her again. "Sorry." Jamie narrowed his eyes as he watched her, trying to figure out if he could tell her or not. It wasn't anything major... Not really. "It's the cops, Jeannie. They hired me because they know a mutant runs this shop and they wanted another mutant to check it out. I own my own detective agency, so they hired me freelance."

Jamie: Dick Tracy would be more than disappointed in him. But it was Jeaaan.

Maddy: "The cops!?" Jean barely kept her voice down, although they were in her private office she supposed, then moved closer to whisper it again. "What does being a mutant have to do with owning this shop? It's legal! I totally did all the paperwork. Loooots of it, OMG, so much paperwork..."

Maddy: She shook herself back on task and looked at him. It hurt, all of it, more than she'd expected it to. "Check out what?" she said, voice small.

Jamie: "Just, you know... That everything was on the up and up. Nothing fishy going on behind the scenes." She was so close to him now that he could smell her and he had to force himself to focus. "Just because it's legal doesn't mean they trust it. Have you been dealing with any shady characters?"

Jamie: Jamie reached out and ran his hand down her arm, "I can take care of them if you have been. I'm not the same dumb kid anymore." And then he realized he was touching her and pulled his hand back like it was burned. She was part of why he wasn't the same dumb kid. First heartbreaks'll do that to a guy.

Maddy: Jean swallowed at the touch. Holy shit, how did he manage to get hotter? "I haven't," she said, and made a face when her voice came out way too breathy. "Everything is legit." She studied his face, completely unsure now if she was feeling her own emotions or his.

Jamie: Jamie managed to keep his face blank, but wasn't completely able to keep the emotion from his eyes as he watched her. He would still call that a win based on how he was acting five minutes ago. "Then, maybe you can give me a behind-the-scenes tour so I can report that to the cops and they'll leave you alone?"

Jamie: His hand burned where he had touched her and he was back to not knowing if it was a feeling he wanted to hold onto or wipe away. Burning should be bad. Right? It was always bad before. "Jeannie," he started, then stopped himself. She had wanted this. It wasn't for him to push anything on her that she didn't want. "I'm happy for you." Why did that hurt to say?

Maddy: "Okay." She nodded and looked away from his eyes, sniffing a little because holding in tears made snot instead. Great. "Um... my name. It's just because my parents... they didn't want a Grey selling weed. Said it wasn't any better than being a drug dealer."

Maddy: She looked up at her name and smiled a little at his words. "Thanks." He was different, and she wasn't sure if it was good or bad. It didn't matter, really, because it was Jamie. She sniffed again, looking away to brush her fingers over her nose. He'd been it for her. She knew that now. He'd been the one, and she'd blown it.

Jamie: Jamie frowned and dipped his head a bit to get a better look at her face. "Jean?" He didn't want her to cry... even though he would probably go home and cry in the shower. He reached up and tilted her chin back towards him. "Jeannie, what's wrong?" Stupid question. You know the answer, even if you don't want to admit it. Is it so wrong to need to hear it? His other hand went back to her arm, "You can tell me anything, still."

Maddy: Was he really touching her again? He was touching her! She let him, catching her lip in her teeth before it started doing that shaking thing. Don't cry. Don't cry.

Maddy: And then he was making it worse - touching her, saying those stupid sweet things with his stupid sweet voice. Why did he have to be so fucking sweet?!

Maddy: She lost the battle and sobbed, covering her face with her hands to hide.

Jamie: Well that hadn't been his intention. At all. At all, at all. Whoops. "Hey... Hey, it's alright." Jamie gathered her into his arms and held her close, resting his chin on her head because the need to breathe her in was so strong he wouldn't be able to stop himself otherwise. "Did somebody hurt you, Jeannie? Talk to me. Please?"

Maddy: Oh shit, he was holding her now and she just cried harder. Jean wasn't even aware of her own movements to slide her arms inside his coat to feel him. Oh yeah, somebody hurt her alright. He'd hurt her, and she'd hurt herself.

Maddy: Oh good, and now she was hyperventilating. "J-Jamie," she whined.

Jamie: Jamie closed his eyes and held her tighter, starting to have to fight with himself to not lose control of his own emotions. "Shh. It's alright, Jeannie. I'm here. I'll fix it. Whatever it is." He couldn't do it anymore. Jamie put his head down and took a deep breath. She smelled exactly the way he remembered. "Jeannie..." Dangerous waters, Madrox. She's not a life preserver, she's the iceberg. ...Just the tip?

Maddy: Jean tried to take a breath, then another to calm herself, although there was a lot of hitching going on. She wished she could smell him, since she was basically inside the coat now, but her nose was clogged.

Maddy: All the telepath lessons in breathing were slowly paying off, but his words made her breath catch again. "We couldn't fix it before," she whispered.

Jamie: Oh. Something else unexpected. Detective lessons were definitely not paying off. "Wait... What?" Jamie frowned and pulled his head back to look down at her. "It's me?!" Inside voice. "It's me?" Better. "I'm the reason you're crying?" What an asshole move, Jamie.

Maddy: She pulled back, looking up to briefly meet his eyes, then away when she couldn't bear it. "I'm sorry," she whispered, backing away from him and wrapping herself in her own arms.

Jamie: Women weren't any less confusing than girls. Nope, not a bit. He frowned and reached out to brush the tears away with his thumbs, "Dammit, Jean." Dammit, indeed. Before he could think about it, Jamie stepped in and bent to catch her lips with his, all of his breath leaving him in a rush while his heart pounded in his chest.

Maddy: She eeped a little in surprise, but before she had a chance to second guess it she responded, her arms unfolding to slide under his coat again to feel his warmth. Jean made a small, pleased sound.

Jamie: Jamie held her face as he kissed her, finally feeling like something was going right with this job of his. Iceberg or not, he didn't care. He had missed her.

Maddy: When they finally broke apart, she searched his face, her lips pressed together. "I've missed you. A lot."

Jamie: "Every day, Jeannie. Every single day." His voice was rough so he swallowed before speaking again. "I think we need to talk, but I do have to finish my job if I plan to get paid..." Jamie ran his hands down her arms to slowly disentangle her from him, but not letting go of her hands once he found them. "Show me around your business and then maybe you can play hooky for the rest of the day to come see mine?" Just the tip? Riiight.

Maddy: Jean smiled at him. "Really? Not just me?" If he missed her as much as she'd missed him... why had they ever broken up?

Maddy: She squeezed his hand and let go because she had to touch him now that she could. Jean ran her fingers over his scruffy stubble, his cheekbone, his brow, and almost wanted to cry again.

Maddy: Instead, she just nodded. "Let's do it then. I can show you around and Redd can handle the shop when I leave. With you," she clarified.

Jamie: Jamie grinned as she touched his face, turning his head to kiss her palm. "Not just you. It's never been just you."

Jamie: Even if things didn't work, maybe they would leave on better terms this time? He growled at that thought and as he watched her face. He was angry at himself for still loving her. But instead of following that dangerous thought train, he derailed it, hopefully causing it to crash with no survivors. "Show me what you've built, Jeannie."