9/3 Issue: Catching up, Coffee, and Cat

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

9/3 Issue: Catching up, Coffee, and Cat

Post by Svartfreja »

Timelined for after [issue]It's a Trap! but before [issue]Portal Puss.

Carol: It was nice having stuff to do but... man, there was a lot of stuff all at once. She'd mostly caught up on what happened in the world while she was a toddler, which was not a thing she'd ever expected she would have to do. Most of the mutants Arcade had kidnapped had been dropped off where they came from and Anna had temporarily put herself in charge of the SHIELD medics... which was hilarious.

Carol: Carol sat in in the kitchen with some coffee and a sturdy tablet to continue catching up on the news and many emails because, apparently, even being a toddler didn't stop Fury emailing her several times a day.

Shinobi: Obi just opened the front door and paused there, waving at a camera in case security spotted him. He wasn't tackled by any small people, so he decided it was safe to come in.

Carol: A notification popped up to say someone was entering the building and she checked to see who it was to find Obi waving. She sent him a message to let him know she was in the kitchen if he was looking for her, then got up to get more coffee.

Shinobi: His phone beeped and he checked, smirking. Well, she was old enough to text anyway. Obi started for the kitchen.

Carol: She picked at a blueberry muffin her mother had sent while she waited on a fresh pot of coffee.

Shinobi: He paused again in the doorway to the kitchen and watched her back for a moment. "You're taller than the last time I saw you."

Carol: Carol looked over her shoulder and smiled, "And you're less princess-y. A lot can happen in a few days." She set her muffin down to pour some coffee, "Want some?" she held up the pot.

Shinobi: "Sure, thanks." He looked down and grinned before coming into the kitchen and starting for the table. "Tony immortalized that moment for eternity. I'll have to send it to you."

Carol: She laughed, "I look forward to that." She poured him some coffee and followed him to the table with it, her own cup and her muffin.

Shinobi: "Hope said she wants to frame it and put it on the mantel." Obi smirked and sat down, thanking her for the coffee and noticing her tablet. "Already back to work, huh?"

Carol: "Trying to catch up... apparently being a toddler isn't automatic vacation time..." She sighed, turning the tablet over so she couldn't see the screen for now. "What about you? Figured you'd be avoiding this place for sure after all the weirdess."

Shinobi: "But the weirdness is over, right?" He laughed. "You're back to just ordinary every-day weirdness."

Carol: "Here's hoping it stays that way..." she raised her coffee in toast to this sentiment.

Shinobi: He laughed and raised his own mug. "I'll drink to that, definitely."

Carol: "Also drink to the Danvers' house not blowing up. We need all the superstition protection we can get." She was already regretting her earlier invitation.

Shinobi: "Also true," he chuckled and took a drink. "So... what exactly happened?"

Carol: "Where should I start?" It had been a busy couple of days.

Shinobi: "Well, we were at a coffee shop when we got the call from Tony and it wasn't exactly filled with details, other than 'don't panic.'"

Carol: "Short version... Jamie killed Arcade, we got de-babied so Tyrone teleported us to Tandy and evacuated everyone Arcade was holding while Rogue, Bobby and I beat up his remaining robots. Anna's taken over the SHIELD medical hub for the time being and we're transporting people home when they're fit enough."

Shinobi: Obi just watched her over the rim of his cup while she rattled that off. "...do they know we found Arcade in the first place?"

Carol: "Yeah... had that conversation with Fury already... or I put my phone down when the yelling started and walked away anyway..." she took a sip from her own drink.

Shinobi: "I hope there's a lock on that dimensional portal generator now." He had to shake his head at all of this.

Carol: "Nope." Carol shook her head, "It's still sitting there... we'll just be more careful with it..." maybe.

Shinobi: Obi was glad he wasn't drinking. "Lock," he repeated, shaking his head at her again.

Carol: "How you think we're gonna put a lock on a rip in space and time?" she raised an eyebrow at him, "Seriously. I'm asking for ideas."

Shinobi: "I don't know - build a sarcophagus over it like at Chernobyl?"

Carol: "There's no guarentee that'd do any good. The energy that it puts out is... wonky," her nose wrinkled. She couldn't think of a better way to put it.

Shinobi: "Wonky covers it," he agreed with a snort.

Carol: "You have no idea... Joe said it seemed to have some sort of weird power over me when I was all little... like a magnet." She frowned, her gaze drawn to the tablet as she got another dozen notifcations. She groaned. Would it never end?

Shinobi: "I didn't notice that," but it was definitely creepy. Obi glanced around the kitchen, expecting to see a flash of ginger fur. "What I did notice was a cat hanging around you..."

Carol: "Oh yeah... she's around somewhere..." Carol looked under the table.

Shinobi: "She's still here? She's... a... did you adopt her?" He kept looking.

Carol: "I don't think that's how it works with cats..." She sat up again and shrugged, "She'll turn up. I think there's something weird about her..."

Shinobi: "Okay, yeah... it's more that she adopted you." He frowned. "I swear I've seen that cat before, yeah. Not... here." Obi cleared his throat and moved slightly closer. "The night you were outside the house... in the tree. I saw that cat."

Carol: "And when we were at lunch it was staring at us through the window.... I've seen it around a few times since... and it showed up when we went to evacuate everyone even though it for sure didn't get there through Tyrone's portal."

Shinobi: "Yeah, that qualifies as weird, alright." He glanced around to look for the cat again. "Any ideas what's going on there?"

Carol: She shrugged again, "Mutant cat?" She lifted the corner of the tablet and peered under it, only half wanting to know what those notifications were.

Shinobi: "Alien cat?" He took a drink and watched her prod the tablet. "Portal cat?" Obi gestured to it. "Don't let me stop you from your paperwork."

Carol: "It's not paperwork. Tony promised no paperwork." She let the tablet drop back flat on the table, "Joe's freaking out."

Shinobi: "Because you're full-sized you again?" He knew all about Stark promises though.

Carol: She shook her head, "No... because I invited Rogue to family dinner."

Shinobi: "Oh." Obi blinked. "Why?"

Carol: "Because it's all I could think of doing to sort out the confusing mess that is our lives?"

Shinobi: "You really think that will sort it out? I know she's got some of your memories and I saw some of the... extra weirdness when you were kids. You were terrified of her."

Carol: Carol looked down at her coffee, frowning and shifting uncomfortably, "Yeah... she brought it up... hence..." she fidgeted again, "She has all my memories from before I was fifteen... that's almost half my life... so many memories of Steven... I can't ever get it back... but I'm not gonna hold a misunderstanding and weird dna against Rogue... it's not her fault. And she feels like my family is hers so..."

Shinobi: Obi watched her fidget. "Well... maybe it is a good idea then... if you two talked about what she remembers it might help both of you."

Carol: Carol shook her head, "I'm not the one with the problem, really... the way Joe reacted to her when she was a kid really upset her... so I wanted to avoid that happening again."

Shinobi: "Ah, so he's not okay with it? Doesn't share your forgiveness for the ...misunderstanding and weird DNA?"

Carol: "It's weird for him... which I totally get. It's weird for me too and I've lived with it for a long time... He's all for apologising to Rogue but he's not sure about introducing her to our folks... especially with a Presidential escourt..."

Shinobi: "They... know all the relevant weirdness? Although to be honest, Tony's ability to fill any room or situation with his own... Starkness... might work to your advantage."

Carol: "Yeah we were thinking he'd be a great distraction buffer in case my dad goes full crazy..." she chewed her lip, lifting her gaze to Obi's face again. "They know who Rogue is and that I work with her now... I cleared all that up with them when I started working for the school... but they didn't know she has my memories... now Joe does... and I have to tell my mom..."

Shinobi: He winced in sympathy. "Yeah, definitely tell them that before hurricane Tony and the first girlfriend hit." Obi tapped his fingers on the table and took another drink, still looking for that cat. "Tell your mom what?"

Carol: "About Rogue having my childhood in her head... Dad won't care... he's never really liked me anyway... but it'll be different for her."

Shinobi: "But... she'll understand? Or do you think that she won't and this will end in tears... or possibly property damage? Considering?"

Carol: "I think she'll be upset... but I don't know how that'll end... and I don't know whether I should tell her before Rogue comes to the house or while she's there... I don't know which is worse..."

Shinobi: "Oh... I would tell her before, because that gives her time to process it a little. That seems like the kind of surprise that might take some recovery."

Carol: "Yeah... I just... I don't want it to go so bad that she doesn't want to see Rogue at all... because, if it was me... I know that'd hurt too much..."

Shinobi: "Well, I know this isn't your strong suit, buuuut you should probably tell her kind of.... delicately." He took another sip of coffee and gave her his most innocent Shaw grin.

Carol: Carol pulled a face, "I suck at that... and if I start trying she's gonna know something's up...." She sighed and got up to refill her coffee. "But I don't know how I'm supposed to start a conversation like that..."

Shinobi: "Yeah there's no good ways to start a conversation like that, but then again... she's got the whole alien thing..."

Carol: "Yeeeeah... kinda sorta haven't mentioned that part either..." she cringed.

Shinobi: "Carol!" He had to laugh a little.

Carol: "What?! There is no good way to bring that up in conversation! 'Oh by the way mom did you know I'm half alien? Wanna explain how that happened?' I don't think so..."

Shinobi: "As good as 'oh, by the way, you're not my son, you're my clone' so believe me, I understand. I totally understand, but putting it off will just make things harder in the long run."

Carol: She sighed and leaned against the counter, "But mom's the only parent I like... and if I have this conversation with her... either she cheated on my dad or she's an alien and didn't think it'd be a good idea to mention it to anyone... and I'm not sure which is worse..."

Shinobi: "Or, there could be another explanation. You'll never know if you don't ask."

Carol: "Like what? What other explanation is there that would make any sense?"

Shinobi: Obi really didn't want to spell it out, looking down at his cup. "You said the Kree aren't... the most pleasant. So, your mother may not have had a choice."

Carol: The counter suffered some serious damage as her grip involuntarily tightened. She definitely didn't want to think about that option.

Shinobi: He raised his arm from the surface when it warped. "I'm not saying that's it - just that there are other... possibilities. Do you... want to know?"

Carol: "I don't know..." she unclenched her fists from the counter and lifted her hands before she broke it more. "If I found out something like that..." She'd do something crazy stupid like fly all the way to Hala to find the asshole responsible and beat them into a bloody smear.

Shinobi: "You'd do something nuts," he finished for her. "But I'm just guessing, and so are you, until you talk to her."

Carol: "None of those options are good.... Why is my life so messed up? I can't just have one normal thing...."

Shinobi: "You have coffee?" He raised his mug again for a moment, then took a sip.

Carol: She frowned at him, it was tempting to throw a muffin at his head. "Scotch'd be better for this."

Shinobi: Obi grinned at her expression, then rolled his eyes. "No. You know that method doesn't work out in the long haul."

Carol: "Right now, I don't care..." She ran a hand through her hair, "It's exhausting trying to keep all of this from driving me crazy..."

Shinobi: "Yeah, I can imagine." He sighed and took another drink.

Carol: "And yet you wonder why I drink." She opened up a cupboard and found a cat, "Oh so that's where you've been hiding."

Shinobi: "I don't wonder, I just know it doesn't really help anything... not for long." He sat up at her find. "...portal cat is looking more plausible."

Carol: "Yep..." she scooped the cat out of the cupboard and set it on the ground before taking out the scotch she'd gone in there for. "She's tricky."

Shinobi: Obi got up and went to the cat, dropping into a crouch to let it sniff his hand before he pet it. "Are you a portal cat?"

Carol: The cat meowed at him and nuzzled his hand. "I think she likes you." Carol opened the bottle and swapped her coffee for scotch.

Shinobi: "Does meow mean yes?" He scritched her head and listened to the purring. Sounded like a normal cat. "I'm a magnet for troublesome gingers."

Carol: Carol laughed, "I believe that." She eyed the tablet, wondering how long she could get away with ignoring Joe's flailing.

Shinobi: He decided to press his luck a little further and picked up the cat for some petting. "Mine has been working a little less the last few days. Ginger, that is."

Carol: "Yeah?" she smiled, "That's good. I hope it keeps up..." she watched him with the cat and sipped her scotch.

Shinobi: "Me, too." They had yet to talk about it in any actual depth, but hey. Spending time together was always good, right?

Carol: "At least all the craziness was good for something..." she offered another smile as the cat purred away.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Re: 9/3 Issue: Catching up, Coffee, and Cat

Post by Esynthia »

Avoidance is never the answer. Rogue can attest to that as she runs away from her love triangle.