"First Class" movie

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

"First Class" movie

Post by Nandireya »

Is it possible to have an X-Men movie that doesn't feature Wolverine? I'll be waiting for the DVD for that one...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

"First Class" movie

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

==NAN! Jus re read your previous post before the last one and realize you were talking about the X-Men Origins Sequel... VERY SORRY!

LOL!
======== END EDIT ======

He makes, at best, an 11 second Cameo. More of a shout-out than anything.

Like him or hate him he's an intricate part of the series as well as a key-player in the films. Especially the first 2 (and his Origins sequel). And it appears Singer (Director of the first 2 X-Films and this latest one First Class -- or at least just teh exec. producer I forget which) wanted to make the other 2 flow with this new film rather than making the two stinkier films (X-3: Last Stand/Origins:Wolverine) be part of the X-Movie canonverse.

So, to summarize, Bryan Singer appears to be doing what he did with "Superman Returns"... acknowledging the first two films of the series and ignoring the rest.

If they do an Origins series now it won't flow with the other films, so it'll probably tank before it even gets past writing stage 1.

Don't push this off. You remember how against it I was? I actually liked it. That's a praise, I assure you.

[Edited on 11/6/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

"First Class" movie

Post by Nandireya »

Yeah, it was kind of "We have all these awesome characters to choose from, let's do another Wolverine movie!"

I know Wolvie's popular, but let's face it, he's already had four movies about him (tell me X-Men 1 to 3 weren't primarily about him). Not that I hate him, but one of the plus points about First Class was that other mutants really got to shine.

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"First Class" movie

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well the last movie would be called X-Men Origins: Wolverine and apparently the working title for 2 is simply just : The Wolverine so it's sort of hard not make the movies just about him (at least those two) being they are being written just for him. He has a pretty rich origins/back story though with a lot of great characters. It is a shame they wasted so much time in X-Men Origins 1 bringing in so many unrelated characters, (and then made their powers a joke -- See Blob), but if they do it right there are a lot of positives they could take from a GOOD Wolverine Movie.

I can forsee them setting up a character or two (if the Origins : Wolverine movies stay canon== which it doesn't appear Singer wants) for the new trilogy being built around First Class.

[Edited on 11/6/11 by Ult_Sm86]
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

"First Class" movie

Post by Nandireya »

I'm far more interested in a First Class Part II than a Wolverine Part II...but no doubt it'll make buckets of money...

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"First Class" movie

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

MY X-MEN FIRST CLASS REVIEW!!

(SOME KINDA SORTA SPOILERS BUT NOT REALLY!! ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE ON THIS WEBSITE! IT'S NOT LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT MAGNETO, RIGHT? THIS ISN'T LIKE A "WAIT HE BECOMES VADER!?" SORTA THING, Y'KNOW?!)

*********8*88888
whatever

X-Men First Class
Rated: Pg-13
Directed by: Matthew Vaughn
Starring: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, January Jones, Oliver Platt, Jennifer Lawrence, Jason Flemying, Rose Byrne & Kevin Bacon
20th Century Fox/Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios and 20th Century Fox have officially released an apology for X-3: The Last Stand  and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and it has come in the wonderful form of X-Men First Class. Not only is this picture wonderfully packaged for general audiences, but it does a pretty decent job of being a prequel to the first two X-flicks. 

Even if the film is in fact a reboot (which is still unconfirmed by either studios) rather than a prequel to the series, as a stand-alone film it shines very brightly. Bryan Singer (originally director of the first two films, X-Men, and X-2, was a Producer) on this film and made sure that -at the very least- it flowed with those two. Much the same way Singer had done with Superman Returns when he announced it was in fact a sequel toSuperman II and that II & IV were officially off the table in terms of movie canon. 

First Class has some really great moments. It has some pretty awful down points too however; but mostly it's just a great ride. The movie is fun and you really can't ask for anything else in a hero-movie. It has action, romance (but more BROmance than anything), it has espionage, intrigue, sexual imagery, and unfortunately it falls a bit flat with the imagery and CGI. But at least the pit falls were so subtle they don't overshadow the movie.

If First Class had been as dependent on CGI as other summer blockbusters such s Thor or Green Lantern I would have been concerned, but the story is not about the mutant powers being used to beat up some bad guys and flash the blue and yellow tights (although they do rock the costumes in this film). In this story we get thrown back to the beginning of a very unique friendship. Professor Charles Xavier (McAvoy) and Erik Lensherr (Fassbender). Otherwise known as Professor X and the nefarious Magneto. But like Anakin becoming Vader, his transition to the mutant-terrorist and political icon that he is seen in the earlier films, Erik needed a transformation story. First Class gives us that story and it does so wonderfully.

As an avid comic book reader, there are a lot of points they probably missed. But any and all of those are irrelevant. Like the first two X-films, the story is about the characters interactions, not about their mutant abilities. It is about how each character copes with them.

The movie begins with the same exact scene from 1999's X-Men. The heart-wrenching separation of Erik Lensherr from his parents in occupied Poland in 1944. From there we move onto see the evolution of the wildly powerful Lensherr boy. Skip about and we go to the Xavier home, young Charles meets young Raven Darkholme (Lawrence), a shape-shifting mutant who is in his pantry pretending to be his mother and fixing herself a snack. After revealing his own telepathic abilities, he convinces her to stay with him at their massive mansion in Westchester
County, promising Raven that she will never need to feel alone again.

However; this is a promise Charles cannot keep. As the story process, events fall into place that pit Erik and Charles against the same common enemy. Erik looks to wreak vengeance on the very mutant who killed his mother in front of his eyes, the ruthless Sebastian Shaw (Kevin bacon). Charles on the other hand is now working with Agent MacTaggert (Byrne) in the CIA. They function as an undisclosed organization to help round up Mutants and train them to complete missions that promote better mutant relations.

Shaw looks to do quite the opposite. His plans are to induce World War III during the midst of the Cold War and with his band of mutant followers known as The Hellfire Club, he looks to pick up the pieces and make a planet meant for the next evolution of mankind, the Mutant Race.

Needless to say, by films end Magneto, or rather Lensherr, obviously becomes flattered with the concept propositioned by Shaw, as do other mutants throughout the course of the story. This needs to happen in order for the other two films to make any sense, so nobody freak out this is not exactly a major spoiler. (No need to go into how he comes about making this choice though, right?).

However; one of the most outstanding scenes in the film (believe it or not) is the montage of the young mutant recruits in Xavier and Lensherr's CIA team learning to control their skills. They truly become the First Class of X-Men and each character shows off their potential. Thankfully, there are enough references to the other films (and even the comic series) that true-blue fans of the X-Men can rest easy knowing their characters are represented respectfully at the least. Scott Summers, a.k.a. Cyclops', big brother Alex Summers shows up as well, which is a nice treat.

The real let down of the film is in some of the tech-work. Banshee's flying scenes look like something out of Broadway's Peter Pan and much like Wolverine's claws in Origins, there are some powers that if you do not put the time and effort into making them look realistic, they look really silly on the big screen. Thankfully the development of characters, the powerful performances by the actors, especially McAvoy and Fassbender. Their portrayal of the brotherly friendship between two such great friends and the breaking apart into such pitted rivals is nearly tear-worthy. Bacon's performance is probably the most surprising and thus is going to be the most understated. In terms of playing a villain, he pulled all the stops. The crooked grins, the sideways glances, the posture, all of it was down pat. Fortunately he can also pull off a pretty good German accent while speaking German. He really comes off as quite impressive.

In terms of X-Flicks, this movie does a good job at taking the cake. I wouldn't state it has the cake per say, but it certainly took a nice slice of awesome to make this flick work. There are a lot of ways this movie could have gone wrong and I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of effort that actually went into making the film come out right, both to general audiences (the real seat fillers) and right by the fans, who will be there regardless if not to chastise it and blog about it.

If you see any super-hero flick this first half of the summer, skip Green Lantern, maybe even skip Thor, and just catch this one before it BAMF's out of theaters. Not the best summer blockbuster in terms of big-screen explosions and what not, but it still is (arguably) the best X-Picture thus far. And that's saying something.

[Edited on 18/6/11 by Ult_Sm86]
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

"First Class" movie

Post by steyn »

Spoiler

I actually thought Banshee's flight was done really well, the swooping movements accompanied with his powers. I can't actually imagine it done any better than that, I actually expected it be done worse. Was really happily surprised about all of the CGI.

But my utmost happy moment was on how nice they made Beast's appearance. He didn't look nearly as stuffed up teddy bear like they made Kelsey Grammar look in X3.

Something that did make me wonder is the age rating, pg13. I just find it so funny how much our western culture shifted so much that it's PG13 when showing a coin being slowly forced through a man's head, through his skull, through his brains and forced out of the back of his head. Gotta wonder how the rating system will work in ten years from now.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"First Class" movie

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I thought Beast looked far worse in this movie than he did in X-3. My biggest gripe was Beast's appearance but I didn't wanna dwell on that 'cause it's irrelevant to non-comic readers. I was quite bothered with everything Pre-Jet for Beast's blue appearance. Those two minutes where he's not sitting in that jet, he looks stupider than if they had just put a muppet in a blue/yellow jerkin.

And yeah, that's PG-13 now. In fact, that's kinda soft-core compared to some of the stuff show in PG-13 movies now .
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

"First Class" movie

Post by Nandireya »

It has an 'M' rating here in Australia. But then, we don't have a rating between 'PG' and 'M' like the US.

Indigo_Lady
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

"First Class" movie

Post by Indigo_Lady »

I'm still on the fence about seeing this movie. I would have liked to have forgotten completely about the whole Azazel thing. Plus, I already told Marvel they wouldn't get another penny of my money until Kurt was brought back. I wanted to wait until it came out on video, but your comments make me want to cave and go see it. :scratch
Always a Queen of Narnia

There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds. G.K. Chesterton

Favorite X-Men: :engarde :storm :colossus :nocturne :gambit :rogue :hank :psylocke
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"First Class" movie

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

It's worth it. Azazel kicked some real ass.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

"First Class" movie

Post by steyn »

Indigo Lady, Azazel was the perfect russian assassin-like murdering bastard in this movie, and his fighting was really good. Best thing... he didn't have much dialogue anyways, so no worries about him stealing any shows. His role is more of a henchman than anything else.

Edit:
Also, comparison between the two beasts, and looking at them now, I realize why I like young beast more than old beast. It's because old beast looks more like ape Beast and young beast looks more like cat beast. yes, hate me if you want, I still love ape beast, but I really liked cat beast's design in the comics.

X3

First Class

[Edited on 19/6/2011 by steyn]
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

"First Class" movie

Post by Garble »

I have to agree that Beat's first furry reveal looked... off.
Maybe the make-up just doesn't look good head on and close-up, or maybe that was the first day they applied it and hadn't yet gotten it to work quite right.

But once he was in the x-jet, and then fighting he looked fine. I actually think the Beast make-up looked better in the Farmer's Insurance commercial than it did in the reveal scene. (Don't know if that's the same actor though)

The effectiveness of Mystique's make-up varied from scene to scene as well. When she was moving or in low lighting, she looked great. But when she was standing still or in direct sunlight she looked like an action figure or some sort of novelty cake.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"First Class" movie

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I have to say Garble... I never knew that commercial existed but I feel I'm a better person now for having seen it.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

"First Class" movie

Post by Nandireya »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:I have to say Garble... I never knew that commercial existed but I feel I'm a better person now for having seen it.
I have to agree...it was quite awesome.

Indigo_Lady
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

"First Class" movie

Post by Indigo_Lady »

steyn wrote:Indigo Lady, Azazel was the perfect russian assassin-like murdering bastard in this movie, and his fighting was really good. Best thing... he didn't have much dialogue anyways, so no worries about him stealing any shows. His role is more of a henchman than anything else.

Thanks Steyn, that's a relief to know. I had sincerely hoped he wasn't one of the "first class" members. I haven't had a chance to look at any trailers. I just knew he was in the movie.
Always a Queen of Narnia

There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds. G.K. Chesterton

Favorite X-Men: :engarde :storm :colossus :nocturne :gambit :rogue :hank :psylocke
Sorcha
Lubber
Lubber

"First Class" movie

Post by Sorcha »

That Farmer's Insurance commercial was awesome! "I like your hair." Haha!

That said, I really, really enjoyed "First Class". I've always sort of taken the films as a completely different thing than the comics, so I enjoyed the presence of Azazel, especially since he seemed like any other mutant in the film, versus comic Azazel; almost always silent, stealthy, and a swordsman. Actually, I really enjoyed basically all the mutants included, and how they were portrayed with the exception of Emma Frost (her actress played her far too bland, like she didn't know what to do with Miss Frost), and Angel (who I just don't like, period, in any of her incarnations).

I enjoyed the plot, too! All of it... not the perfect movie, perhaps, but a fun ride and a good addition to the "X-Men" name.

It was also concluded by all six or seven people in the group I saw it with, that Prof. X. can hit on us with his nerdy science pick-up lines any day.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"First Class" movie

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I am sad about one thing though, and with the exception of Magneto, not a single character in that movie is featured in any X-Book right now. Or comic even. Beast shows up in Secret Avengers, that's about it.

They did a pretty good job of making a good comic bok movie, but they put together characters who are just not around right now in the main story arcs. So if people wanna go read about them they're gonna have to do some SERIOUS digging, potentially forcing them to lose interest. (Kids these days, no patience.)
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

"First Class" movie

Post by Nandireya »

Wait! Emma's not in the comics any more? Why wasn't I told!

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"First Class" movie

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Fair point, Emma shows up frequently enough now that she's married to Scott. But I'm still sorta wow'ed at how the majority of the members are irrelevant to the main plots.
Sorcha
Lubber
Lubber

"First Class" movie

Post by Sorcha »

Hm, that's a good point about the characters they picked.

Personally, my main thing with the chosen characters is, of all the people to pull to for be a henchman... why Riptide? I mean, don't get me wrong, he was damn pretty to look at in the movie, but who the heck cares about Riptide?

Unless I am missing something.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

"First Class" movie

Post by Diablo »

X-Men first class was so great I saw it three times. ^^

Loved young Magneto and Xavier. Loved Azazel and Mystique.

If a sequel is released, do you think we could see Kurt's parents together ? And perhap's a baby Crawler bamfing ??
I sure hope so. ^^
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

"First Class" movie

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I really hope so... with Mystique now on Magneto's side, she is in close contact with Azazel, who truly does understand the burden of physical difference.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

"First Class" movie

Post by Ferguson »

Well, never know, it was certainly well done enough to warrant another movie, that's for certain, though I'm not sure what they would use for a plot considering the character choices.

I have to admit I do like the fact that, for the most part, they did choose characters that normally we wouldn't see featured in a film. For a lot of book to movie projects I'm a bit of a pruist but it's usually just too much when it comes to comic books so I think it was a good choice...but it's definitely true that maybe they didn't pick the best ones once new fans decided to maybe have a look at current comics.

Has anyone else seen the extended scene of Charles and Erik picking up Angel? Youtube video to come when I'm not at work if not.

[Edited on 30/8/11 by Ferguson]
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

"First Class" movie

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Well, never know, it was certainly well done enough to warrant another movie, that's for certain,
I don't think they've announced a sequel, but there are plans:

http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=16270

That's only one piece. I've seen plenty of other articles that I can't go find because there's a baby here who will only stop crying every time I'm not at the computer. But Google away! :)
though I'm not sure what they would use for a plot considering the character choices.
Xmen: First Class 2: Mystique gets boned.

But seriously, they left themselves open for a whole lot to do. This is a brand new story and a brand new timeline. ANYTHING is possible. And I really trust Vaughn and Singer.
I have to admit I do like the fact that, for the most part, they did choose characters that normally we wouldn't see featured in a film. For a lot of book to movie projects I'm a bit of a pruist but it's usually just too much when it comes to comic books so I think it was a good choice...but it's definitely true that maybe they didn't pick the best ones once new fans decided to maybe have a look at current comics.

Has anyone else seen the extended scene of Charles and Erik picking up Angel? Youtube video to come when I'm not at work if not.
I did not like the initial announcement of the characters. It seemed like a complete mishmosh. Angel 2? Darwin? EFFING AZAZEL?! WTF were they thinking? But you know, I went in with an open mind, and I'm so glad I did. It's not the comics, it's a completely different animal, and I'm totally cool with that. In fact I prefer it to them being true to the comics (I don't need to see Angel's beak babies IRL thanks).

And....I hate to admit this...Azazel was frikken awesome. The scene with him at the CIA was off the charts awesome, and it was such an amazingly offensive use of teleportation, a mostly defensive power. Really clever and well done. And he was there, but he wasn't a big part of it. I would have liked to learn a BIT about him, though. Why did this Russian decide to follow a bunch of Americans during the Cold War? We can speculate, but I think a bit of story would have cleared things up and not made it so "WTF? Russian?"

And just noting the whole "new fans picking up comics" thing. Marvel made a huge mistake not jumping in and taking advantage of this situation. This was probably THE best superhero movie of the summer, and where are the characters in the books (or where were they when it came out)? Angel is depowered. Azazel is in the 25 cent bin. Banshee is dead, Havok is in space, they JUST KILLED Mystique. Magneto is no more than wallpaper, and I'm not sure where Xavier is (was). The only character that was featured in the books and in the movie was Emma, and she did NOT sell me. January Jones was the worst part of the movie.

And I did see the deleted scene. Very LOL. Does not detract from my super crush on Fassbender. DREI. IT'S DREI. DON'T F-CK IT UP!

[Edited on 30/8/11 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€