Top 25 Holiday Songs

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Top 25 Holiday Songs

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Now I'm gonna show you guys the top 25 holiday songs!

This list is meant as a contrast to the Managing Editors List (which was not to my liking) so I threw in this as an opposing view/give some different flavor.
No descriptions, none needed if you ask me.

Gonna edit in some more links later. Right now it's just GLORIA and

1. Christmas Time Is Here - The Peanuts (Performed/written by The Vince Guaraldi Trio), A Charlie Brown Christmas

There have been many great covers of this song (Straight No Chaser for one did a fantastic rendition), but none shall ever surpass the original. A Holiday Classic, this song is as recognizable as it is enjoyable.

2. The Chanukah Song - Adam Sandler, What The Hell Happened to Me

Hilarious, fun, and even witty (for Adam Sandler). This song has had a multitude of renditions, each time adding more famous Jewish celebrities, and Sandler crooning and giggling the entire time. Perfect for the holidays and a riot to boot.

3. Up On The Housetop - Jackson 5, Up On The Housetop EP

The hip, soulful sounds of The Jackson 5 make for a unique, fabulous holiday tune. Easy to shake your booty to while you finish up your cooking for the family and just as easy to shimmy to after you've had too much egg nog at your office Christmas Party.

4. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer - Jack Johnson, Maybe This Christmas

For once someone bothered to incorporate a lesson into Rudolph. All these years, it bothered me that the "Other Reindeer" (those dicks) would never apologize to poor Rudolph for treating him like crap. Now, good 'ole Jack Johnson has a song kids can actually enjoy, remember, and learn something from. Very Jim Henson.

5. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings Barenaked Ladies/Sara McLachlan, Barenaked For The Holidays

One of the most smashing duets to ever be recorded for the holidays, the outrageous Barenaked Ladies (well known for their holiday music tours) and the beautifully talented Sara McLachlan bring a unique sound take to a well known Christmas Classic.

6. Merry Christmas Baby - Bruce Springsteen, A Very Special Christmas Vol. I

Renowned and unrivaled, Bruce Springsteen is a force to be reckoned with and his timeless Holiday song "Merry Christmas Baby" has it all. From bluesy guitar, hot saxophone, and a fantastic rhythm, this song is one of the my personal favorites.

7. I Won't Be Home For Christmas - blink-182, I Won't Be Home For Christmas EP

Most would say that punk rock has no business treading anywhere close to Holiday Music, but blink-182 has proven them wrong. A song for those who hate the holidays but are forced to endure them, I Won't Be Home For Christmas, is a fun attack on carolers and well-wishers.

8. One Little Christmas Tree - Sister Hazel, Santa's Playlist

Sister Hazel (long presumed dead and broken up) re-emerged recently into the mainstream and as of 2009 broke back out with a Holiday Album. It flew up the Holiday Billboard charts and quickly became one of my own personal favorite holiday albums. This song sticks out as a unique bluesy revolution for the holiday spirit.

9. Christmas In Hollis - Run-D.M.C., A Very Special Christmas Vol. I

You can't have a collection of '80's Musicians for the holidays and not invite the notorious rap/hip-hop band Run-D.M.C.. They bring the spirit of the streets into the spirit of the holidays.

10. The Christmas Song - Dave Matthews Band, Live In Chicago

One of Dave Matthews' most bubbly songs just happens to also be about the life and times of Jesus Christ. It begins and ends with the theme of treating your fellow man correctly by simplifying the story of Jesus' birth into an easily to sing to ditty. It is almost as brilliant as the simplification of the message. "Shower them with love, love, love…"

11. The Night Santa Went Crazy - Weird Al Yankovic, Bad Hair Day

Hard to not love a song by Weird Al Yankovic, even harder not to love a song about Santa going apeshit and shooting all his elves and reindeer. The best part is that everyone overlooks the message of the song, how Santa felt his one day of the year was going unappreciated. It is, and we should be lucky Santa Claus doesn't mow us down with a barrage of bullets.

12. Happy X-Mas (War is Over) - John Lennon & Yoko-Ono/Plastic Ono Band & The Harlem Community Choir, Listen The Snow Is Falling B-Side

John Lennon died on December 8th, 1980 after being shot by Mark David Chapman. This song takes the emotion of the ever loving, never violent, always peace before war that was Lennon and combines it with the natural heart of the holidays. The peace and forgiveness, the sense of cheer and being surrounded by loved ones, in this song you can get a sense of all of that as well as a general appreciation for everything Lennon ever spoke or sang about. This is a song that nails the spirit of the season directly onto the head.

13. Maybe This Christmas - Ron Sexsmith, Maybe This Christmas

14. A Christmas Jig/ Mouth Of The Tobique Reel - Yo Yo Ma, Natalie MacMaster, Songs Of Joy & Peace

15. Bizarre Christmas Incident - Ben Folds, Maybe This Christmas

16. Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End) - The Darkness, Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End) EP

17. Mr Winter - The Maine, … And a Happy New Year

18. Deck The Stills - Barenaked Ladies, Barenaked For the Holidays

19. I Saw Three Ships - Barenaked Ladies, Barenaked For The Holidays

20. Merry Christmas (I Don't Wanna Fight Tonight) - The Ramones, Weird Tales of the Ramones

21. Hey Santa! - Brian Setzer Orchestra, Dig That Crazy Christmas

22. Christmas All Over Again - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, A Very Special Christmas Vol. 2

23. The Nutcracker Suite - Brian Setzer Orchestra (original composition by: Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky), Boogie Woogie Christmas

24. Gloria - MercyMe, The Christmas Sessions

25. You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch - Straight No Chaser, Christmas Cheers (Deluxe Version)

[Edited on 9/12/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS