My God, the REVIEWS

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by HoodedMan »

I don't know if anyone else noticed but the predictions for X3 were HORRIBLE before the movie hit theatres and they still have a negative vibe! I just read in my paper today, "Here's a faint-praise review for X-Men: The Last Stand. It's not nearly as bad as we thought."

It then goes on to talk about the new director, Brett Ratner, who they thought would kill the series (their words). Why is it that everyone thought that anyone but Bryan Singer couldn't handle the X-Men?

It goes on to talk about the movie, has a nice promo pic of Angel who unfortunately from what I've heard is only there for the promo pics and ends saying that the series is ended, not horribly, and Bryan Singer has moved on; "Maybe so should we."

Bah. It's good to the movie and bad to the movie at the same time. I don't know how they manage. Anyone else seeing the huge negative vibe that still exists? I know Roger and Ebert rated it highly though.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by Slarti »

"X-ASPERATING: Can’t ‘Stand’ it: Such a good premise, such a disappointing X-ecution"

That was the headline in my newspaper today.

The reviewer compared it to the Batman movies, which went downhill after Tim Burton left and she said the X-Men had been “Schumachered.” On the other hand, they had some cool graphics and a box of X-Men factoids about the Dark Phoenix saga and the origins of Beast, Angel and the Morlocks.

I don’t care. We’re still gonna go see it tonight.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Well I went and picked up the tickies for it last night - so at 7:30 I will be bouncing in my theater seat.

I have heard mixed reviews...both bad and good from comic lovers and others alike. The main thing is that they say that it can be a bit corny, but then for those of us reading the comics can we honestly say that the plot lines and times weren't a bit corny?

Anyway, I also got something else from the theater last night that WILL make you want to scratch my eyes out.

Keep an eye out in your theater - they may have a stack to give away.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by HoodedMan »

I do want to scratch your eyes out. But actually I've reserved a movie poster, the Angel one, when stores get it. But just in case, I'm going to check with the theatre. :P
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by Northstars Love »

Despite the reviews I'm seeing it today and will see it again next week. I don't really listen to reviews anyway. I love the X-Men!

fourpaws - I will check on my theatre to see if they have any posters for the movie like you have above. If not, oh well. I got two signed X-3 posters, one which I'm giving a way on my site starting this weekend. I've gathered so much X-3 stuff its making my head spin! :hypno

Now, I'm off to get ready to see the 10:45am showing! :dance

[Edited on 5-26-2006 by Northstars Love]
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by HoodedMan »

Northstars Love: I envy you. Mucho. I was going to get some signed stuff, but I have to wait for my next paycheck. The 4'x6' bus shelter poster made a big dent in my emergency money.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by steyn »

I saw it, and I wouldn't have believed that it could have been done, but Brett Ratner has actually “Schumachered” Xmen 3.

The movie is full of incredible effects, but the thing is so, well, how can I say it, all softed up. There were so many scenes where I just couldn't stopped laughing. Not that it was funny scenes, but the fact that they tried so hard to make this movie a tear jerker. Unfortunately they failed, miserably.

Now to show how much I liked this movie, I'm going to arrange the three Xmen movies from best to worst:
Xmen 2;
Xmen 1;

Daredevil;

Xmen 3.

And that's about how I felt, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot of you who actually liked it.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by Slarti »

We just got back, and while I won't go so far as to say it was totally Schumachered, it was busy. The effects were amazing, but, ack! There was just soooo much going on that nothing got the proper focus.

It was damn cool to see Jean Phoenix out though. Even if she did remind me of "scary, veiny Willow" from Buffy.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I'm not even gonna lie, I nearly crapped myself everytime Jean went all Phoenix:eek I didn't think it was as bad as the critics said.. sure, it could've been better, but it was still a great movie
DeeJay
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by DeeJay »

Phoenix is a super bitch.
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by littlebamf »

I agree with what the critic in my newspaper said about the movie (Though I can't find it to quote it). I thought it was good, but it was way too rushed, too many useless random people. It could have been more developed, sure but I did like it enough to see it on Thursday night and Friday night - I double booked Thursday night so ended up having to go again the following night....
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by Nandireya »

Here's the review from our Sunday paper...still haven't changed my mind about not going...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Eleri
Lubber
Lubber

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by Eleri »

I read in Empire magazine how there were to many characters and sub-plots, and they only gave it 3 Stars which is a shame really they should have focused on the whole Phoenix being a threat to the world thing. But I haven't seen it yet D: We get stuff so late where I am -_- But I don't care what the reviews say I'm still going to watch it!

[Edited on 5/6/2006 by Eleri]
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I agree that it was bursting with characters that never got their fair share in the movie.. I've said it a hundred times already, but a half an hour was all they really needed to give some insight into the characters.. if they would've only done that, I would've been happier with the movie:doh!
Eleri
Lubber
Lubber

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by Eleri »

Ye I kinda wish Bryan Singer had done it, but he went off and did Superman -_- Ah well I have the first and second movie and will watch them so often xD
Singe
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

My God, the REVIEWS

Post by Singe »

I think Schumachered a pretty good verb, but for reasons that are pretty politically incorrect.

At least Ratner didn't change the tone and vibe as radically as Schumacher did. He probably knows that people would be calling for his blood more than they already are (which isn't a whole lot, granted). Then again, Schumacher isn't quite the studio yes-man Ratner's so well known to be. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing?