time-lapse makeup application

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
psychonaut
Lubber
Lubber

Post by psychonaut »

I'm watching the X-2 special features disc for the first time and there is a lot of interesting stuff (which I'm sure is old news to most of you). The Nightcrawler stunts preparation was good (though left me wondering if they used a stunt double for the more complicated White House shots), as well as the makeup segments. The time-lapse movie of getting Alan into the Nightcrawler look was very revealing, but I wish they told you how much time elapsed between shots, as well as total time. They should have had one of getting him out of makeup as well.

Does anyone know what comic book they discuss, about how Nightcrawler was captured by Stryker before the White House attack? I didn't catch it.

I wonder how many days Alan had to get into makeup, and out of those, how many days he wasn't needed for filming. Reminds me of the LOTR hobbits complaining about all the times their feet weren't shown even though they had to put on the hobbit feet every day. Only the feet probably took about twenty mintues, and Alan had to be poked and prodded for what, four hours? I wonder if the Nightcrawler feet were comfy.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Alkuperäinen postittaja psychonaut
(though left me wondering if they used a stunt double for the more complicated White House shots)
You mean all the jumping and kicking?
Stunt double.

[Muokattu 9/11/0606 Lähettäjä: Crocodile Hunter]
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by psychonaut
Does anyone know what comic book they discuss, about how Nightcrawler was captured by Stryker before the White House attack? I didn't catch it.
There's an X2 comic book prequel, and it features Nightcrawler and Wolverine. You can probably find it in your local library; I did.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I'll post more later, but I probably know more about Nightcrawler's X2 makeup than ... Alan Cumming.

The feet are pretty comfortable as are the hands though, full dexterity is ... impossible. The coolest thing about the feet is that they have boots built into them so that the bottoms of them are soft and can be resined - making you a little bit "sticky" when climbing in them. The tail is terrifying unless you want to take out everyone and everything in about a 4 foot radius behind you. It's spring steel and way springy.

Applying film makeup like that takes hours (4 - 10 hours) but taking it off would only take an hour or so of scrubbing. The scars are made of a very fine silicate powder mixed into an adhesive called pro-saide. It's known as "bondo" in the film industry. The powder can be deadly though so when making it - you have to wear a respirator. The stuff lasts forever and the bondo filled syringes in my makeup box still work.

Here are some pictures of Alan's costume that I took while I visited the archive a few years ago. That's me wearing the tail.

My own costume was built to the same specs but for someone my size since I am smaller.

-e

{now with an actual link to the photos!! :doh --SK}

[Edited on 11/11/0606 by Saint Kurt]
psychonaut
Lubber
Lubber

Post by psychonaut »

Thanks for the tip, Northstar. I have enjoyed many graphic novels from my library too, so I'll check for it.

Saint Kurt, I tried to find the link to the pictures but couldn't find it. But I clicked on your "website" button and really enjoyed your whole Nightcrawler transformation adventure. You are amazingly resourceful and talented! I looked at almost all your pages of costumes. It seems a shame you don't have time for it anymore, looks like you really had fun with it. (Hope things are going great in med school though!) The finished costume looked wonderful. I can't imagine how much time went into finding all the materials and crafting them so painstakingly.

If your face itches when you have that special make up on, can you scratch it, or will you mess it all up? Can you sweat off airbrushed makeup, or is that not a worry?

Thanks for sharing your fount of knowledge with me, the curious!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Makeup like that has several layers and goes on with an number of "pre-solvent" layers that affect the way your skin behaves.

I worked here as Nightcrawler for a whole summer so I needed to be in costume and in character for about 8 hours at a stretch.

The first makeup layers were a series of solvents that kept me from sweating and gave a good "tacky" foundation for the scars etc. Once the scars were on (the longest part of the process) and then the makeup itself - it was sprayed again with a sealant and then powdered. While I was working, people, especially kids regularly touched my face and the makeup never came off. The only delicate areas where those around my lips and nose which I kept a lip gloss container loaded with touch up paint to deal with that.

Depending on whether I have an assistant, my makeup application can take 3 - 4 hours (though when I was playing NC every weekend I got really fast after a while and brought it down to 2.5 on a good day if I had an extra air-brusher on hand).

Playing Nightcrawler was like, the best summer job ever I think. When vet school started that year I almost went through withdrawal.

-e
psychonaut
Lubber
Lubber

Post by psychonaut »

Did the costume show any wear-and-tear after so many hours of use? Did you have to get the pieces dry-cleaned? Did your hands start to feel sore after having to hold them in such an unusual position?

Hope you don't mind being peppered with questions, but you are so kind in answering!
Singe
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Singe »

Originally posted by Saint Kurt
I'll post more later, but I probably know more about Nightcrawler's X2 makeup than ... Alan Cumming.
Heh, sounds like you don't think too much of the man.

But that's awesome, when did you get to play with movie set pieces?