HTC vs APPLE

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

HTC vs APPLE

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So, I just bought this Droid Incredible. It's a pretty awesome phone.

But apparently, HTC was found guilty of major copyright infringements. Apple has apparently patented many of the phone's traits/programming.

So here's the quoting on how this might suck a lot for me (and other HTC users)
If HTC's appeal fails, it will be required to settle with Apple over the patents. However, FOSS Patents' Florian Mueller notes the ITC decision could be very bad for Android, if Apple refuses to settle:
"Depending on which two patents HTC infringes and on whether the Commission affirms the ALJ's decision, this could in a worst-case scenario result in a shutdown of many or even all Android-based HTC products in the U.S. market. In a less extreme scenario, HTC might have to remove certain functionality from its products, and that could result in a significant degradation of the user experience and quality of those devices."

This is problematic. This is also perfect debating material.

As an HTC user, I think Verizon & other phone plan providers should be willing to create a trade-in program to remedy this when it goes down (should it go down). However; I don't have faith in these (IMO) greedy corporations to do such a generous thing.

If Apple was smart they'd create a trade-in program with the cell companies for their iPhones and maybe make back the money they figure they've lost (what they don't get back in suing the crap out of HTC of course).

So you guys should chime in. Whaddyouthink?

[Edited on 19/7/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS