Summer 2011: Remy

Check out what goes on between semesters here!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Summer 2011: Remy

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

<Remy> He walked down the hall from checking on Johnny, finding his impromptu guest curled in a chair, looking rather morose. "How's my little jail bird doin'?" He asked with a grin.

<Hepzibah> Hepzibah uncurled just enough to stare at him. "Jailbird?" she smirked, "Out on bail..." she rubbed her eyes wondering how she was going to live in New York and avoid the entire state of Pennsylvania. "Thanks for putting me up. I don't want to let Kyle to know I'm back until I get the road rash on his bike fixed."

<Remy> "Well I thought dat d' bird part was d' funniest really." His grin was wide and sassy. "C'mon cherie. I know it's a shitty thing wit' gettin' arrested an' all, but it ain't dat bad in d' whole light of things. Ain't like y're d' only one here dat's been in jail, oui? So don' get all self conscious about it."

<Hepzibah> "They asked me if I wanted a litter box Cajun. I've never been so humiliated in my entire life." She laid her head back and rubbed her eyes.

<Remy> He laid a hand on her neck and gave it a brief rub. "Yeah, I can get how dat's wrong. Dey shouldn't have treated y' like dat." He rubbed a bit more. "An' lordy girl, y're tight. Y' can relax here, oui?"

<Hepzibah> "I'm just glad it's over. From now on, I'll avoid Pennsylvania." A slight purr rose up at his touch. "Oh, please..." she invited him, leaning forward to give more room. She moved her hair to the side, brushing her hand across his.

<Remy> Chuckling he worked at the knot some more, moving from there to her shoulders. "Y' know...dere is one cajun approved cure for dis."

<Hepzibah> "And what's that, Remy?" she sighed, eyes closed. Hepz was convinced this Cajun must have been a massage therapist in another life.

<Remy> "Bourbon. Or somethin' like dat. Got beer an' rum an' tequila an'...well it's a stocked bar. What's y're poison, cherie?"

<Hepzibah> "All of the above?" she asked, only partly joking. "Why don't we start with the bourbon and work our way down the bar?" She winked at him and stood up, stretching.

<Remy> "Sounds good t' me. I keep good bourbon here. My poison of choice." He went to the counter and pulled down a couple of glasses, filling them a couple of fingerfulls. "So. Cheers t' bein' home?" He passed her one of the glasses. "Y' never did say why y' left, petite."

<Hepzibah> "To home." she agreed, taking the glass and tapping it to his. She took a sip, before answering. "You see Mayhem's face?" she stared at her glass intently.

<Remy> "Heard about it. D' man seems a bit shy sometimes, an' so I've not seen him." Rolling his drink around in his glass he nodded. "Suppose I understand why y' chose t' go...but runnin' ain't gonna fix anythin'. Best t' work on changin' d' things y' don' like."

<Hepzibah> "My bad wiring made me a danger to everyone around me. But, I wasn't running Cajun," she sat down on the sofa. "I left to try and get myself some help - if I could." She smiled up at him.

<Remy> "Ah." He found a place beside her and took a drink. "So...did y' find it?"

<Hepzibah> She laughed out loud. "Yeah, I did. In the form of Anna O'Keefe." She shook her head. "It's a long story, but I'm glad I left...and that I had a home to come back to." She nudged him. "Missed y'all."

<Remy> "Missed y' too Heppie. An' glad y' found dat y're path was jus' one big assed circle." Tossing back the remainder of his bourbon he went and got the bottle, plunking it on the coffee table in front of them. "Shoulda done dat earlier, neh?"

<Hepzibah> She downed hers as well and grinned, holding up her glass. "Maybe you could have, but then I wouldn't have gotten a good 'look-see' at your backside when you walked across the room." She waggled her eye brows and winked again.

<Remy> Laughing he leaned back and gave her a look. "Dis from a girl who claimed I can' kiss? Bourbon make y' lose y're inhibitions dat quick?"

<Hepzibah> "Now, you know I was only teasing Cajun." she gave him a playful look. "I figure handsome devil like you already gets more compliments than he knows what to do with." she poured more bourbon and offered to refill his as well.

<Remy> "Well...can admit dat gettin' back into things was a bit reassurin' dat I was still...well I don' suck." Chuckling he held up his glass for her. "It's different, but it's still fun." He shifted, brow creasing a bit. "T' be honest wit' y' - in ways y' remind me of my wife. It took a bit of time t' get used t' y'."

<Hepzibah> Well, I wouldn't know about the 'sucking' part. Hepz grinned as she poured his drink, but froze as she heard that last part. She bit her lip and recapped the bottle, setting it back down. "I'm sorry. I never knew that that." she said quietly. "Was she...feline?" her tail curled behind her a little.

<Remy> "Non." He shook his head and sipped at the bourbon again. "She was...jus' herself. Like Johnny a lot. So blue. She had ears like y'rs though, pointed a bit higher, but like it. An' sometimes y' jus' move a certain way an' it jus' is like a bit of deja vu, though y're definitely a different person. Who really gets me is d' new kid. He looks too much like her. Can' really hang around him wit' ease."

<Hepzibah> She scratched her hair, self consciously touching her ear for a moment. "Lars? Yeah, I got the feeling that something was wrong the day we met him. He looked enough like Johnny..." she took another sip and shrugged. "Even I can put two and two together." She shook her head.

<Remy> "Yeah. Well ain't like d' guy can control who he looks like. But it is weird." He watched her fuss some more. "Y' don' have t' worry about it, chere. Ain't anythin' people can do about things. Memories come as dey will."

<Hepzibah> "That they will Cajun," she agreed with a sigh. She started to lean back against the sofa and yiped as something caught the base of her tail. She reached back and laughed. One of Johnny's pool toys was wedged in between the cushions. "You know what I want to learn?" she asked eyeing the plastic sailboat.

<Remy> "How t' avoid gettin' toys wedged up y're ass?" He salied back with a grin.

<Hepzibah> A peal of laughter erupted from her as she slapped his arm with his son's toy. "Smart ass!" She handed the toy over. "How to swim."

<Remy> He gave her a look of surprise. "Y're kiddin' me! How d' y' not know?"

<Hepzibah> She pointed to herself. "Cat! Why are people always so surprised I can't swim?? I just...I dunno...just afraid of the water." she muttered the last part into her glass as she took another drink.

<Remy> "Well y' don' have any problem bathin', neh?" Leaning close he took an exaggerated sniff. "Y' don' smell. An' I doubt y're givin' y'reself a tongue bath. Though, dat's kinda kinky under d' right situation."

<Hepzibah> While Remy was leaned in close, Hepzibah turned her head and licked up the side of his face. "I never give myself tongue baths, anyway." Her eyes danced with amusement.

<Remy> Starting back he actually sloshed some of the bourbon over his hand. "Lookit what y' made me do now. Waste of good booze." He licked his own hand off. "So swimmin'..."

<Hepzibah> "You left yourself wide open, Cajun." She grinned, proud to have taken him by surprise. "Yeah...swimming." she nodded, finishing her drink.

<Remy> "Well, if y' want, dere's a whole big lake out dere. It ain't hard t' learn."

<Hepzibah> She put her glass down. "Really? Right now?" Her eyes were surprised, but her grin was still in place.

<Remy> "Why not? Dere's no time like d' present. An' it's a helluva lot better dan mopin'."

<Hepzibah> "Well, what the hell are we still sitting here for?" She sat her glass down and jumped up, her tail swishing behind her. "You coming??" she urged him up.

<Remy> "You got d' wind up y're tail girl. Good t' see y' happier though." He followed her out the door and around the deck. "Y' wanna start on d' 'beach' dere? Or off d' deck?" Nodding at the small area of sand he'd had hauled there he leaned on the railing. "Easier t' start off in d' shallow bit, but dere is somethin' t' be said for d' whole sink or swim thing."

<Hepzibah> She chewed her lip for a moment. "Shallow." she decided with a nod. She stared at the water. It was less scary before she was actually planning to get in it.

<Remy> "K." He hopped over the rail and landed with a light thump on the sand. "It's nice down here anyways. Not like d' bahamas or anythin', but it's cute an' cozy. An' private, which is good, cause I don' really like swimmin' trunks."

<Hepzibah> "No swim trunks, huh?" Her grin reappeared as she sailed over the rail and landed lightly next to him. "Good, because I didn't bring my bikini." Her eyes were glittering mischievously. "I'll show you mine if you show me yours..."

<Remy> "Hey, I thought dis was a swimmin' lesson." Clucking his tongue he shook his head. "Y' have a naughty mind mademoiselle."

<Hepzibah> "And you're nothing but a tease, mister." she clucked her tongue back. She stripped out of her t-shirt and cut offs, then hesitated at the water's edge, taking a deep breath. It's just water, right?? Nothing to be afraid of...

<Remy> He shucked his own clothes. "Well apparently I'm a damn prude compared t' y'. No undies at all?”

<Hepzibah> “I grew up living out of suitcase, Remy." she shrugged, her tail covering her rear, but little else. "I'm sure you remember how it is." She looked him over, her eyes able to see as well in the dark as broad day light.

<Remy> "Oui. But dere's these things at d' school called dressers..." His teasing tone dropped off a little as he waded into the water a little. "So, y' nervous already? Or jus' when it gets up t' y're waist or somethin'?"

<Hepzibah> "Cajun, I was nervous just looking at it." She took a couple of steps and stood next to him. "Waist high is as far as I've ever gone." Her tail whipped behind her agitated. "Cess and Hector got me out that far in the Danger Room."

<Remy> "Oui? Well think of dis as jus' a bit bathtub. An' I ain't gonna let anythin' happen." He waded in a few more steps till he was calf deep and held out a hand. "An' I'm bettin' dey didn't take dere clothes off. Dat's an incentive, oui?"

<Hepzibah> "You know it never occurred to me to ask..." she chuckled, taking his hand and wading out with him. Swallowing hard, she brushed against him as they ventured out further. "Not gonna let anything happen, huh?" she joked weakly.

<Remy> "Nope. Taught myself how t' swim an' I think I'm pretty good at it. Jus'...no diggin' d' claws into my ass if y' get a little worked up. Jus' remember t' relax an' I'll look after y'."

<Hepzibah> "Don't worry, I won't dig my claws in your ass...unless you want me too." she joked, reaching over and patting his rear with her hand. "I think two bourbons are doing a good job of 'relaxing' me." They were out to their chests before she started getting nervous again.

<Remy> "Cheap drunk, huh?" He smirked and took her hand. "Y're also practically day glo. Have a hard time hidin' at night, chere?" Tugging gently he got her a bit deeper. "Ok. Dis'll work. Y' can still stand but y're butt won't hit d' bottom if y' pick y're feet up."

<Hepzibah> "Pick my feet up?... Ok, I can do this." Her breath coming faster, she pulled her hands away and put them on Remy's shoulders. She lifted her feet up and kicked a little, using him as support. She kept in mind that she could put her feet down at any point and still touch bottom. She gripped him tighter, but kept her claws carefully sheathed.

<Remy> Blinking his eyes in the blinding froth of white water that she kicked up he tried to smile encouragingly. "Dat's it. See? But try not t' yank y're face up so high. Makes y' unbalanced - y're feet jus' sink dat way."

<Hepzibah> Hepz nodded, forcing herself to stop kicking so fast. Slowly, her body sank back into the water as she slowed down. "Don't let me go under the water..." she asked a little pleadingly, still holding onto him.

<Remy> "I won'. But we gotta work on y' dunkin' y're head eventually. Cause dat's kinda important wit' dis whole swimmin' thing."

<Hepzibah> In a freakin' pig's eye Cajun! But she only nodded again. The cat went back and forth between touching the bottom and kicking her legs. "Too bad, we didn't bring the bourbon with us, hm?"

<Remy> "Oh, c'mon. Y' know I got reserves. Put y're feet down an' hang out for a minute." Making sure she was settled he gave her a wink and kicked out into deeper water, swimming around the bend of the house where the part of the deck by his room was.

<Hepzibah> She grinned at his wink and at the promise of more bourbon as she waded back to more shallow water. She stopped when she was waist high. Experimentally, she tried laying on her back like she had in the DR. Immediately, she sank to the bottom and nearly had a heart attack trying to get her head back to the surface.

<Remy> Bottle in hand he came around the corner to the sight of Heppie apparently drowning in about three feet of water. "Put y're damn feet down!" He yelled out and started kicking harder. By the time he got there, she had 'saved' herself, but her hair was soaked and much awry over her face. Biting his lip he tried not to laugh. "Ok. Well, maybe we'll need t' get y' some water wings."

<Hepzibah> "Shut. Up." she hissed, sputtering water and trying to peel her white hair off her face. "Tell me you brought the bottle." Because if he hadn't she was going to try to drown him next.

<Remy> "Oui. Not boubon though...guess I drank all dat. Got nearly a whole bottle of rum though." He unscrewed it and passed it over.

<Hepzibah> "Good enough!" she nodded, taking a drink and still shaking a just a bit. After another drink, she handed it back. "Thanks.”

<Remy> Taking his own swig he waded close enough to shore and put the cap back on, tossing it onto the sand. "Alright. Now where were y' before y' tried t' drown in d' kiddie pool?"

<Hepzibah> Hepz tried to glare at him, but it was hard to be intimidating when you were naked and soaking wet with your hair plastered over your face. "I was waiting for you to get here with the booze." she shot back, but waded back into the deeper water just a bit. "You comin'?" she looked over her shoulder.

<Remy> "Of course. Rum makin' y' brave dere." When he got close enough he flipped her hair back, helping her order it. "So. Wanna work on blowin' bubbles?"

<Hepzibah> "Brave or stupid - one or the other..." She smiled as Remy tried to help her with her hair. "Blowing bubbles?" she cocked her head a little with a curious frown.

<Remy> "Here. Like dis." He sunk into the water until it lapped over his chin and demonstrated by sinking just a bit further, blowing a vigorous amount. "Been teachin' Johnny. He likes dis part."

<Hepzibah> A fit of giggles overcame her as she watched Remy. Then she crouched down a bit till her lips were under the water and blew a burst of bubbles. "Treating me like a child, now?" she gave him a smirking grin as she rose back up a bit.

<Remy> "Well, y' gotta start somewhere. Unless y' jus' want me t' pick y' up an' heave y' on in. D' idea behind dis is t' get used t' water bein' on y're face."

<Hepzibah> "I'm not going out there alone!" Hepz retorted staring at the huge moonlit lake, dipping back down and blowing more bubbles. "I got over the fear of having water on my face when I used to dye my fur. Mostly, I'm just afraid of not being able to touch bottom without anything to hold onto."

<Remy> "Y' dyed y're fur?" He stepped back, going a little deeper. "An' y' have me t' hang onto. C'mon den."

<Hepzibah> "Every color of the rainbow." she joked as they ventured out further. Soon, she'd wrapped her arms around Remy as they were out so far, she could only touch bottom if she stood on her tip toes.

<Remy> "Guess wit' it bein' so white it'd take d' dye pretty true. Y' d' it for fun?" He made sure she was stable before he picked his feet up, treading water lightly. "Ok. Y're turn. Feet up."

<Hepzibah> "Lost a bet - the first time." She swallowed hard and picked her feet for a second and kicked a tiny bit. "L-like this??"

<Remy> "Yeah? What'd y' bet on?" He kept his voice level and calm, soothing. "Dat's it petite. Jus' relax. If y' go all tense, y' sink."

<Hepzibah> "I'd rather not say...but it was one of the best bets I ever lost." She couldn't resist a chuckle and a wink. Something about Remy made her feel comfortable. Almost without realizing it, she was soon treading the water with him, touching the bottom less and less frequently.

<Remy> "If all dey did was make y' dye y're hair, y're lucky. What's y're favorite colour?" He slid a bit further back, but was sure to still support her.

<Hepzibah> "Black. Nothing like crossing paths with a black cat right?" She answered decidedly. "It was a bitch to get out in the end, but I looked amazing!" she laughed.

<Remy> "Like d' whole thing? Or zebra stripes?" His tone was definitely teasing on that one, watching as she took more and more of the treading on her own rather than leaning on him.

<Hepzibah> She took one hand off his shoulder and splashed water on him at that. "No, skunk striped," she wise cracked. "The whole thing - even the tail."

<Remy> He broke up. "Oh dat's great. Y' got pictures of it?"

<Hepzibah> She shook her head, frowning a little. "I'm...I'm not real big on having my picture taken." By now, she was only holding onto to Remy with one hand on his shoulder.

<Remy> "Well, dat may be so, but y're doin' pretty good at dis, chere. Lookit." He waved his hand at her. "Y' ain't sinkin'. So...dat's kinda swimming."

<Hepzibah> For a moment, she panicked, then felt Remy's other hand still gripping her waist. That was the little bit of reassurance she needed. "I'm swimming!?" she laughed. "Kinda??"

<Remy> "Well, y' ain't drowin', so it's somethin'." He gave her a wink. "So when y' gonna die y're hair again?"

<Hepzibah> Hepz got brave and arched back, dipping into the water and smoothing her hair back. "I don't know. I haven't done it in a few years." She gave him a teasing smile. "Why? You tired of being blinded by all this white?"

<Remy> "Non." He treaded for a few moments before he smirked. "Jus' wonderin' what tie die would do for y'."

<Hepzibah> "First stripes. Now tie dye!" she tsked at him. A little hesitantly, she took her other hand off his shoulder. "You offering to be my stylist?" she joked, treading water by herself for a second before taking his shoulder again.

<Remy> "Good for y'!" He encouraged, smiling at her. "See? Nothin' much t' it. But as for stylist, I think y'd rather run d' other direction. Can't say dat I ever did so good wit' dat. Suppose it's good I got a son an' not a daughter."

<Hepzibah> "Dying my fur is nothing. Do it just like you're dying an Easter egg." She laughed. "Even Kyle can do it...just need to remember use temporary dye instead of permanent." She winked. She was quiet for a moment. Then laughed again. "Johnny is just as cute as a button, you know that?"

<Remy> "I do. He's a pretty special kid. I can't believe dat he's three. An' growin' like a weed." Sighing he looked at the house, knowing Johnny'd be out for the night, but that tante would hear him if he woke for some reason. "Gonna have t' think about school soon. An' ain't dat nerve wrackin'."

<Hepzibah> "Don't send him, Remy. Don't make him go through that." Hepz answered instantly, her laugh gone.

<Remy> "Well what? He gonna get home schooled? He needs kids too, Hep. He's already lonely. We wanted him t' have a siblin' t' ease some of dat, but..." He gave her a sad smile and shrug.

<Hepzibah> "Remy, please...he's an obvious mutant." She saw his sad face and bit her lip, staring at the water's surface. "I know it's not my place to tell you how to raise your son, but...I've been there...called a freak, ostracized, beat up. He's a sweet kid. Please don't put him through that."

<Remy> "I know. So was I. An' I'm not jus' gonna toss him in a public system an' hope for d' best. I've been lookin' into small select private places dat could be discrete an' ensure his emotional safety, y' know?"

<Hepzibah> "I'm sorry." She pulled away and touched her feet to the bottom. "Anna might have rewired my brain - but not my mouth, it would seem. I'm sure you'll find a good school for him." she said quietly.

<Remy> "Oh don' worry about it. I get why y're frightened. It's hard when y' grew up d' way y' did. Which, t' be honest, I know it sucked for y', but I don' know really what happened." He reached up and touched her cheek. "Y' ok?"

<Hepzibah> She closed her eyes and leaned into his touch the tiniest bit. "No," she answered honestly, "But when have I ever been?"

<Remy> "Y' need t' find a place where y' can be, chere. Don' wanna live like dis forever." He drug her back to where she coulde put her feet down. "So...d' y' know y're parents at all?"

<Hepzibah> She shook her head, scowling. "I know they abandoned me. Isn't that enough?" Her tail swished behind her. "When I went to see Mags, she'd found a copy of my birth certificate. Guess she thought I'd want it."

<Remy> "Yeah? You look at it? Figure out where y're from?" He moved the hand on her waist further back, cradling her back.

<Hepzibah> "No." she whispered, staring at the water again and drawing her arms around her.

<Remy> "C'mere." He drew her close in a hug. "It's ok. Whatever happened, whoever y're parents were, don' make a difference t' who y' are. An' y're cool, right?"

<Hepzibah> Hepzibah let herself relax into his embrace. "I just don't know, Remy. Part of me would like to find them...just to ask 'why?'" She brought her tail up out of the water. "But we both know the answer to that already don't we?"

<Remy> "But it isn't y'. It was dere fault dey couldn't pull dere head outta dere ass. Not y'rs." He tried hard to not laugh at the site of her wet down bedraggled tail emerging like some pale swamp thing from the water, biting hard on his lips.

<Hepzibah> "I ever tell you about my Papa Doc?" She slipped her arms around him, smiling. "That sounds exactly like something he'd say...only without the Cajun accent." Her tail vanished beneath the water again. "What?" Her smile turned to a frown as she glanced up at him.

<Remy> "Yeah? So y' got someone den, an' dat's good." He finally let a small chuckle through. "Y're tail. Never seen it like dat before. All plastered down an' not fluffy."

<Hepzibah> "My tail?..." she lifted back up and sighed. "What do you expect? Wet cat." She gave a sad shake of her head. "Papa Doc died with I was thirteen."

<Remy> "Oh." His face crumpled up to a 'I'm sorry - here is my foot in my mouth' look. "I'm sorry y' lost him too den. Guess y'll jus' have t' put up wit' us."

<Hepzibah> "Hey, it's all right. You didn't know." she smiled at him, giving his cheek a little touch. "And, I suppose you're mildly tolerable." she teased.

<Remy> "Well, sometimes. D' booze probably helps keep me palatable." He gave her a wide grin again, showing his teeth. "More rum?"

<Hepzibah> Hepz gave a grin to match his, looking back at the shore. "You buying?"

<Remy> "Buyin'? Y' can have d' whole bottle if y' want, cherie." He waded out, leaping onto the deck with a twist so that he could reach in the deck box for some towels and tossing them on down.

<Hepzibah> Following him out of the water, the cat grabbed up a towel and dried herself off. "Deck or beach?" she asked, holding the towel against her lightly.

<Remy> "Hmm. I'm maybe thinkin' deck only cause I don' think sand an' wet fur mix so great. Pass dat bottle up an' I'll give y' a hand."

<Hepzibah> "Give me a hand?" Hepz retorted with a mock insulted look. Grabbing the bottle, she leapt up on the deck as easily. "But you are right, getting sand out of my fur is not my favorite way to spend three hours." She sat down next to him.

<Remy> "Sure y' don' need a hair dryer or somethin'?" He swaddled his hips in a towel and leaned back on the deck, touching the fur on the tip of her tail. "Y' need t' brush dis daily an' stuff? Must be a lotta work."

<Hepzibah> She watched him touch her tail and smiled a little. "Maybe...but I've never known anything else." She pulled her towel around her lightly and looked up at the stars. "It's nice here. I like it."

<Remy> "Here as d' school? Or my house?" He joined her in staring upwards. "Got t' admit, my place is a lot more peaceful dan d' crazy at d' school. But dere's a thing t' be said for crazy."

<Hepzibah> She didn't answer. Instead, she opened the bottle, took a long drink and handed it over.

<Remy> "Ahh, it's d' booze. But again, I could point out dat flows pretty free over dere too. But if y' mean d' whole package...yeah. It's pretty nice here."

<Hepzibah> She nodded her agreement to all of the above and looked back at him. "Did I ever thank you and the others for finding me and bringing me here?"

<Remy> "I think y' did. Y' expressed dat y' were happy dat we did, dat I know for sure." He leaned into her, offering his support. "Dis mean we can tie die y'?"

<Hepzibah> She took the bottle back, enjoying another long swig. "Maybe..." she purred, leaning her head against his shoulder, her tail twirling slowly.

<Remy> "Y' should be careful about who y' say dat to. Dere's really creative people here. An' dey can do worse things dan tie dyin' as well."

<Hepzibah> "Wasn't talking to them, was I?"

<Remy> "Dat's true." He admitted. "But I did warn y' about my skills at dat sorta thing."

<Hepzibah> "I trusted you enough to get me out in the deep end didn't I?" she answered. "Besides, by the time we get to the bottom of this bottle, I'll probably think you're fucking Monet."

<Remy> Giving her a frankly appalled look, he took the bottle back. "Bite y're tongue. Dat femme an' I are jus'...well we hit it off, but not in a good way." The smile returned briefly. Glad y' trusted me. Felt good t' do it?"

<Hepzibah> "Wha-" Hepz erupted in laughter. "Wrong Monet!" She laughed some more. "Monet, the artist - not Monet, the Ice Princess." She wiped the tears from her eyes. "Did it feel good to trust you or to get in the water?"

<Remy> "Oh! Well merde. Now I feel like an idiot." He shook his head at himself. "T' get in an' swim. Y' accomplished somethin', right? Y' got deeper dan y' ever have before an' y' didn't drown or even get water up y're nose. Y' should be proud."

<Hepzibah> "Don't. That's the first time I've felt like laughing in weeks." She reached around and gave him a friendly squeeze. "I am proud, but I also had a good teacher. Thanks."

<Remy> "Pffft. Y' were lured in by d' peep show. Admit it."

<Hepzibah> "If I was only interested in the peep show, we'd have stayed in the shallow end." Her green eyes twinkled with mischief. "And I don't think I was the only one enjoying the show."

<Remy> "What, me?" His face smoothed into perfect innocence. "I'm pure as d' driven snow. Y' didn't think I'd jus' leer at y' would I?"

<Hepzibah> "Driven snow?? You're going to get lightening called down on us, liar." She flicked her white tail under his chin. "I figured you'd be just as smooth as that bourbon you plied me with." she grinned.

<Remy> "Nah. I like t' make d' ladies laugh. Not at me. Jus' be happy an' relaxed." He tipped his head thoughtfully. "Mind y' dat does wonders for other things as well."

<Hepzibah> "Such as?" Her grin drifted into a smile.

<Remy> He gave her a careful look, eyes half slitted, mouth curled up to one side. "Y' know, I could swear y've been flirtin' wit' me all night, mademoiselle."

<Hepzibah> "It's my nature, Cajun...yours too." Hepz answered softly, meeting his gaze.

<Remy> "Seem t' recall y' callin' me a tease rather dan a flirt. Though suppose d' two go hand in hand."

<Hepzibah> "They can. A tease only finds fun in the chase. A flirt finds fun in the game." Her gaze went to his sanguine eyes. "So, which are you?"

<Remy> "Guess I'm back t' bein' a flirt. Was more of a tease earlier on if y're gonna qualify it as dat." He shrugged. "Miri an' I have a bit of an understandin', so dat moved me back into flirt category."

<Hepzibah> "You're still seeing Miri?" She narrowed her eyes. "What kind of understanding? Like the understanding Hec and I have - or something more...monogamous?" She shook her head. "I don't trespass on another woman's territory, Remy."

<Remy> He shook his head. "An' I don' run aroun' either. Though I don' really call light flirtin' an' runnin' aroun' naked cheatin'...if it's done in groups an' as fun - nothin' serious." He shifted. "So Hector. What's he like?"

<Hepzibah> She shifted away and sighed. "Who knows...he changes like the wind." She twisted and put her head against the deck railing. "One minute I think we're just fuck buddies, the next that we're more...then it's almost like we're strangers." She shook her head. "I think I bring out the worst in him to be honest."

<Remy> He let out a low whistle. "Well dat's harsh. Why ain't y' smacked him a good one yet?"

<Hepzibah> She opened her eyes and smirked. "I didn't tell Hector I was leaving...was gone three weeks without even so much as a voicemail, then called him to come bail me out of jail...How's that for a 'smack'?"

<Remy> "Well it'd be a shock, dat's for sure. How'd he react?" He was amused by her expression, all half proud.

<Hepzibah> "Quiet...and angry." She bit her lip and looked back over the water. "He could have just left me there...Hell, he probably should have. But he drove almost six hours to come bail me out. Didn't speak more than three sentences to me the whole time."

<Remy> "So where does dat leave y' den? Y' ok wit' dat? Or y' wanna work it out?"

<Hepzibah> "I don't know, Remy. I feel like shit - so I'm not 'ok' with it. But I keep digging myself in deeper and deeper. We had to stay overnight so I could get Kyle's bike out impound." She shut her eyes tight. "I ditched him at the motel. I left him sleeping while I just hitched a ride to the station, got Kyle's bike - and left."

<Remy> "Guess y' have y're answer den, neh?" He passed the bottle back. "If y' don' feel comfortable around him, no point in even screwin' him. Y' gotta kinda like him t' do dat."

<Hepzibah> She took the bottle back and took a drink. "Maybe you're right. But when I was standing there in handcuffs, with a quarter in my hand...he was the only person in my mind." She took another drink. "I could have called any of you to come and get me...but he was the one I wanted." She handed the bottle back. "Pretty fucked up, huh?"

<Remy> "Yup." Watching her drink he thought about what he wanted to say for a minute. "Maybe y' gotta look at why y' ain't treatin' y'reself so good either. I mean, wit' d' man or without him, y' gotta demand a certain level of respect."

<Hepzibah> "Now you really do sound like my Papa Doc. He used to always get on to me when I'd mope about being a mutant, talking 'self respect' and all..." She stared at the bottle with a little smile. "Don't think he'd be too proud to see me these past few years."

<Remy> "How come? Whatcha feelin' guilty about?" Her hair was drying and some strands were floating up in the breeze, so he finger combed them gently into some form of semblance.

<Hepzibah> She sighed a little. "Working as a circus freak? Hanging out with drug dealers? Flunking school? - take your pick." she looked at him for a moment, then back out over the lake.

<Remy> "Y' flunked school? Here? Or somewhere else? Cause t' be honest I didn't ever go t' school before here. An' dere's worse things dan a paid job, even if it's humiliatin'. D' drug dealers...well we're kinda in d' middle of talkin' about him, oui?"

<Hepzibah> "Hector has been good to me, Cajun." Hepz warned, a tiny growl in her voice. "I'll admit he's no angel. He's just a little lost - like the rest of us." Her frown softened to a disappointed look. "I flunked out everywhere I went." she admitted.

<Remy> "Hey, I smoke pot. Ain't like I can really point a finger. I jus' don' approve of d' harder stuff. Too easy t' lose y'rself an' hurt others dat way. An' petite - have y' ever thought y' flunked cause y' were too caught up in a world dat wasn't for y'? An' maybe y' jus' don' mesh wit' what dey are teachin'. Can' say I've ever found book learnin' stuff dat easy myself."

<Hepzibah> "That's not the reason why, Remy." She stared at her hands, playing with the lip of the bottle. "Might be true, but it's not the reason."

<Remy> "Den what is?" Trying to give her a reassuring look he leaned in again. "I ain' gonna judge y'. It's ok."

<Hepzibah> She met his eyes briefly and looked down again, gripping the bottle's neck in a choke hold.

<Remy> "Oh cherie..." He put his fingers under her chin. "None of dat now. I've got my own skeletons - we all do. Y' want t' hear mine first, I'll spill. If it makes it easier."

<Hepzibah> She nodded slightly into his hand. "Maybe," she answered, looking back up at him.

<Remy> "Alright." He moved so that he was cross legged facing her, leaning forward slightly. "My second year here I got hooked on smack an' flipped shit. Nearly got kicked out. Had t' go home an' den my papa caught me at it. So dat was dat. Cleaned up my act an' found out Talia was pregnant a few months after."

<Hepzibah> "No wonder you don't like dealers..." she answered, wide eyed. "You done good Cajun. Smack is almost impossible to kick once you're hooked." She shook her head. "I'm glad for you - Johnny too. He needs his dad clean and sober...especially since...since he's just got you now."

<Remy> "Yeah. Well an' t' make it worse I knew better. Both my parents were hooked. Dey weren't really dere for me as a kid - more like zombies jus' walkin' aroun'. I cut out on my own when I was eight or nine. Can't really remember." He patted her knee. "So c'mon. Y'rs can't be too bad."

<Hepzibah> "Even younger than me..." she smirked. For a long time she sat there and debated. "You got to swear to me that you won't tell anyone - I mean anyone."

<Remy> "Cross my heart." He made the motion, grinning. "Honest. I'll keep it t' myself."

<Hepzibah> She took another drink from the bottle and held it up. "I would know this is a bottle of rum even if you hadn't told me, know how?"

<Remy> "It says it on d' label?"

<Hepzibah> "That's the one way I wouldn't be able to tell, Cajun." she answered quietly, putting the bottle in his hand, but refusing to look at him.

<Remy> "Ohhh." He finally got it. "Yeah. Well dat'd put a kink in learnin' for sure. Did y' never pick it up in d' beginnin' or is dere somethin' about it dat jus' doesn't jive? An' knowin' y' animalish types, it'd be y're nose dat'd give it away?"

<Hepzibah> "I could read when I was younger - a little bit, anyways. But, then I spent a little time in Hell and got my brain fried. Letters didn't make sense after that." She rubbed her eyes. "Do you have any idea what it's like to go thru life like you're in a foreign country that uses a language you could never learn?"

<Remy> "Hell? Like as in people beatin' on y'? Or on drugs? An' y're brain? Dat sounds serious petite, y' seen Scott or McCoy?" Teeth flashing in a grin he leaned forward a bit . "An' is dat enough questions? Cause if not I can always keep askin' y' more if y' want me t'.?" At the end he was lifting the last of the words up in almost a musical lilt to emphasize the question.

<Hepzibah> She put her tail in her lap, brushing it out with her claws, staring at her work intently. "I don't remember, Remy" Her voice was low. "I was nearly dead when they found me. If it wasn't for Papa Doc, I would have died, or been left little more than an animal." She managed a smile for him. "It's all right Cajun. I know you ask, becuase you care."

<Remy> He nodded briefly. "Yeah. Well, dat's why y' come here, non? How old were y' when it happened?"

<Hepzibah> "I came here because I’m not ready to face Hector and I didn't dare face Kyle with a tore up bike." she retorted with a little laugh. Then her smile faded. "I'd just turned eleven." She lost interest in grooming her tail and just stared at it.

<Remy> "An' y' hit d' street after dat? Or did y' stay wit' dis papa doc fellow?"

<Hepzibah> "I stayed with my Papa Doc...he took care of me when I couldn't do for myself - and then I took care of him when he couldn't." She smiled again.

<Remy> "Sounds good. Nice of him. World don' have enough people like dat in it." He couldn't help but to reach down and pluck gently at her tail. "So, fourteen when y' hit d' streets?"

<Hepzibah> "He was a good man." She agreed quietly. "He did a few weeks before my fourteenth birthday. I eventually ended up in the carnival circuit." She laid her hand over his. "How 'bout you? Eight is really young to make it alone."

<Remy> "Yeah. But I'd already been scroungin' for a few years before dat. Kinda took baby steps till I was out on d' streets for real. An' t' be honest, it was a relief. Was easier dan comin' home was." He looked a little sheepish. "An' at fourteen I found other things t' keep me busy, so it didn' matter so much."

<Hepzibah> "Other things?" She couldn't help her nature, as a grin tiny crept up. "Same kind of things I found to keep me 'busy'?"

<Remy> Chuckling he shrugged and gave her his 'butter wouldn't melt' look. "Well. From what I can figure out, mutants are pretty much pervs anyhow."

<Hepzibah> "Are we?" she laughed. "I guess so, if you had to judge by this school alone."

<Remy> "Oui - well it's d' school I'm basin' dis on. Have t' admit dis is d' first place I really found out what mutants were. Guess I was a bit closeted in a real weird way bein' from d' streets of N'Awleans like dat. Was nice t' meet others. Dey always jus' called me a devil."

<Hepzibah> "I'm sorry Remy. I know how it feels to be called names." She squeezed his hand. "You know when I call you 'devil', it because of that little personality of yours, not because of your eyes...right?"

<Remy> "Oh, no offence, petite. I kinda made it my own anyways. An' really, bein' called names wasn' d' problem. Keepin' one step ahead of dem was. An' seemin' as y' aren' offerin' t' beat my ass, we're all good."

<Hepzibah> "I wouldn't beat your ass...might claw it up some." she joked, then turned serious for a moment. "Remy, remember...I don't want anyone else to know. That's I can't...you know..."

<Remy> "I know. Our secret." He mimed zipping his lips.

<Hepzibah> "Thank you, Remy." she leaned over, and kissed his cheek.

<Remy> "Ain't a favor. Jus' a bit of common respect, y' know? An' if y' ever want help, y' jus' have t' ask."

<Hepzibah> "No, Cajun." She shook her heard. "Thank you - for everything"

<Remy> "Pas d' problem." His eyebrow went back up. "Dat include gettin' y' buckass naked an' wet?"

<Hepzibah> "Naked and wet - for all the wrong reasons." she answered with a flirty smirk. "I'm moving you back to the tease category, mister."
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.