Winter 2013: Johnny

Check out what goes on between semesters here!
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

Sue: Sue curled up on the sofa with a cup of tea in front of the telly. When their parents weren't in, she had taken to watching the twenty-four hour rolling news channel for any news about the situation in New York and maybe some news on whether or not Johnny was still there. She'd tried a couple of times to call and check but with timezones and things she seemed to keep missing him.

Johnny: Johnny finally bothered to check the voicemails on his phone and frowned. Right. He supposed calling home when all this started would've been the bright thing to do, but now he could just tell them he wasn't coming home for Christmas. He wasn't quite sure whether that was a good thing or not yet though.

Johnny: He scrolled through his contacts until he found Sue's number because he couldn't be assed to remember it and hit send, bringing the phone to his ear to listen to the ringing.

Sue: Sue frowned when her phone rang, making the wall and other objects between her and the sound of it invisible so she could see where it was. She put her tea down and went to the cupboard in the hall to dig it out of her coat pocket and check who it was. She answered straight away, "Johnny?!"

Johnny: "No, it's someone else calling you from my phone."

Sue: She ignored the comment just because she was so glad to hear his voice, "Where are you? Are you okay? The quarantine thing is all over the news!"

Johnny: "I'm at school, I'm talking to you so that should imply I'm okay, and I know it is," he replied in the order of her statements, grinning.

Sue: "You're not sick? Why aren't you evacuated? They said the city was getting cleared of all people..." She went back to the living room to sit down again, turning the tv down.

Johnny: "Of course I'm not sick. The weird things don't like fire," he rolled his eyes, spinning in his chair, "And, none of the school is evacuated."

Sue: "What? Why not? It's a school!" she looked out the window to see if there was any sign of their parents.

Johnny: "A school full of people with super powers?" Johnny pointed out.

Sue: "Super powered people can still get sick..." Sue countered, chewing her lip a little.

Johnny: "Well, none of us are sick." He sighed, deciding it was time to break the news... Though, since she was harping on the whole thing, it shouldn't be too much of a shock. "Obviously, I won't be able to make it home."

Sue: "Yeah I guessed that... Mum and Dad are going to be upset... they only just started to get used to the idea..."

Johnny: "Well, that'd be why I called you. So, you can tell them."

Sue: "Yeah... thanks...." she sighed, "I'm glad you did finally call though... I was worried... Don't leave it that long again, okay?"

Johnny: "Okay," he grumbled. "So, how are they taking the whole quarantine thing?"

Sue: "Not well.... they're doing the whole 'ignore it til it goes away' thing... So I've been trying to keep up with everything while they're at work. It's a whole huge mess..."

Johnny: "It's not as exciting as the news makes it sound." He continued to spin in his chair, stopping once he was dizzy.

Sue: "It sounds terrifying not exciting...." She had a sip of her tea.

Johnny: "It's not really terrifying either. Well, kinda. I mean, it's creepy when you go out and there's absolutely no one... Or when you almost get caught by the quarantine people..."

Sue: "And the fear of getting sick with whatever that thing is..." She hugged a cushion a little bit, "You're at least safe where you are, right?"

Johnny: "Yes, the school's perfectly safe." It had been so far anyway, but no need to add that bit. "How's home?"

Sue: "Kind of boring... I mean... there's no one being annoying or setting fire to things or maiming ducks and demolishing bridges...."

Johnny: Johnny frowned at the mention of the duck and bridge, "I didn't mean to do that!"

Sue: "Maybe not... but I did say it'd happen sooner or later...."

Johnny: "I can't wait until you have some kind of slip up."

Sue: "Yeah because I can really do a lot of damage by turning invisible...." she rolled her eyes.

Johnny: "There has to be something," he replied as he tried to come up with some scenario.

Sue: "I can't think of anything... and I'm way smarter than you."

Johnny: Johnny pulled the phone away from his ear for a moment to give it an incredulous look, "Pfft, no you're not."

Sue: "Yeah I am, you got into uni because you can catch fire. I got into uni because I passed my exams and remembered to post the application."

Johnny: "I passed my exams!" he protested before adding, "Most of them."

Sue: "And posted the application?" Sue raised an eyebrow.

Johnny: Johnny sighed, muttering, "Eventually."

Sue: "How late was it?" She couldn't resist teasing him some more, she'd missed doing that.

Johnny: "Late enough that I didn't get in," he huffed.

Sue: "Exactly." Sue nodded, "So I think that means I win this round."

Johnny: "Yes, this round..." he conceded. "But, you won't win the next."

Sue: "Sure I will. Because I'm smarter than you."

Johnny: "No, you won't."

Sue: "Well I guess we'll have to wait and see... and then I'll get to say 'I told you so'."

Johnny: "That's just what you live for, isn't it?"

Sue: "Yep... well, with you, it's about the most I can hope for."

Johnny: "Oh, thanks. I call home, and this is what I have to put up with? Then, you wonder why I never call?"

Sue: "Aww you missed it really, I know I did," she grinned, putting her mug down now that it was empty.

Johnny: "Who would miss you?" he rolled his eyes.

Sue: "You totally do, you're just not going to admit it because then you wouldn't have an excuse to whine."

Johnny: "Fine. I do. Happy now?"

Sue: "Yes.... because I win again." she laughed, "But seriously though, I'm glad you called... at least I can tell mum and dad you don't have the plague..."

Johnny: He shook his head, "Yeah, I'm sure they'll be thrilled."

Sue: "They will... even if you are annoying and a walking disaster area you're kind of their only son. They have to like you."

Johnny: "True. Plus, I'm the youngest, so extra points for me."

Sue: "You might be the youngest but it's negated by the fact you're also the problem child."

Johnny: "I'm not the problem child."

Sue: "Do I need to bring up the bridge again?"

Johnny: "Oh, just because I broke something doesn't make me the problem child."

Sue: "It's not the first thing you broke, I can go through the list if you want? I enjoy that."

Johnny: "Because you've never broken anything," he rolled his eyes.

Sue: "Yeah but I own up...."

Johnny: "It's okay. I guess I can live with being the problem child since I'm the one that got all the personality."

Sue: "... You're an ass." she smiled and shook her head, "But I love you anyway, little brother."

Johnny: "I guess I love you too," Johnny made sure to sound slightly pained.

Sue: She chewed her lip, "So... this call is probably expensive...."

Johnny: "Yeah, just a bit..." he nodded, "I guess that means I should go."

Sue: "Probably... but call again okay? And mum and dad will probably want to call you on Christmas Day so... make sure to have your phone with you..."

Johnny: He rolled his eyes, "I figured I'd call for Christmas. Not even I'm dense enough not to."

Sue: She smiled, "I'm sure they'd appreciate that... stay safe, okay?"

Johnny: "Yeah, I will," Johnny agreed. "I'll talk to you on Christmas."

Sue: "Yeah... bye Johnny...."

Johnny: "Later," he replied and hung up, placing his phone on the desk as he glanced around the room. Now, time to find something to do...

Sue: Sue put her phone down on the table and got up to make more tea. Now she had to work out how to break the news when their parents got home.

[Edited on 5/20/2011 by tears~fall~like~glass]
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

"Now that surely didn't get us very far," Selene commented as they made their way back from the endless line of frustrated and impatient people trying to get out of the city on any of the regular routes.

"It looks like they really are turning people away up there." Jean-Paul sighed, wrinkling his nose as he tried to see the beginning of the crowd. "I guess the city really is closed up then."

"The line is not moving except for backwards," Selene muttered, watching the other people who had given up on waiting and slowly trudged back into the city. Many had already found a spot to get comfortable - more or less, anyway.

"So what do we do now? The food they send is shit... we need to get out... or I can go hunting but you already said no to that...."

"I guess this would be mostly because the only thing you could possibly hope to find inside New York is either rat, pigeon, or poodle - and I'm not to keen on either," Selene remarked. "We might have a better chance to try and hijack a hot-dog cart."

"Well, if we're going to get out we're certainly not going to get out there." He waved to one disgruntled person coming back, definitely turned away."

"There's plenty of yummy things in the woods - deer, rabbit... fish..." she shrugged a little, "Just have to know where to look."

"I'd rather not eat anything that's been chewed on all ready, thanks all the same."

"So...surely there's some place they're not guarding we can just slip through, right?"

"I could animate one of those subway snack vending machines," Selene offered. "It could follow us around and shower us in sweets when we feel like it."

"...now we've got a backup plan." Jean-Paul shrugged, deciding that didn't sound half bad.

"I'd only chew on the neck til it was dead... the main bulk of the animal would be fine..." Tigra rolled her eyes.

Johnny had so far remained silent, refraining from complaining about having to wait all this time, but his face twisted at the idea of chewing on necks. That was almost as bad as Curt eating out of the garbage.

"And as for getting out of the city, I presume we could always swim," Selene continued as she strolled down the sidewalk. "Or try to find a boat. Or if that fails... build one? I've heard garbage cans float."

"Curt would eat our boat if that's the case, and I'll pass on sinking."

Giving Selene a bit of a confused look, Jean-Paul turned around, deciding to look for the potential hole in FEMA's enclosure around the city.

"Do you think we could ride on Curt?" Selene gave Johnny a curious look.

Johnny considered the question for some reason and shuddered at the idea of riding Curt. "Well, I imagine if you really wanted to..."

".... I wouldn't recommend that...."

"Not somoene I've got on my riding list to be honest."

"Really? Who tops that list, I wonder?" Selene did some further contemplating. "I guess there's always the subway tunnels if we decide to go for a route underground."

His face twisted again, "Aren't those kinda dark, gross, and filled with hobos?"

"Maybe... but they probably thought of that.... cleared out all the hobos and replaced them with army guys whielding tasers."

"And we'd still have to surface when it got time to actually get out of the city, won't we?"

"Until the hobos ate the army guys and are now hobos with tasers," Selene concluded.

"That is a truely terrifying thought...."

"...and we're avoiding that, definitely."

"Agreed."

"Which leaves us with catapulting someone as the only reasonable alternative," Selene added with a nod.

".... I'm not volunteering for that."

"Well, luckily, we have fliers so no catapult necessary...though it'd be fun." He cracked Selene a grin.

Johnny looked between the three of them. He was pretty sure he was the only one of them that flied, though his memory was shit...

"Still not volunteering...." Tigra decided to make that clear.

"I'll go over then. You lot's carrying all the food back though, yeah?"

Jean-Paul liked shopping when other people carried his bags. It was just nicer.

"If that's what it takes to get rid of you for a while," Johnny grinned.

"You love me."

"Well, depends on how filled the pantry back at the mansion is likely to be, and whether it can be restocked while everything is kept locked down."

He nodded, "Very much so."

"I can carry it... I can carry a car so I think I can manage shopping."

"And I love you, my bitches." He reached over, patting Johnny on the cheek with a girn. "Just need to find a place to cross then."

"Which again makes me wonder why you aren't pulling us in a riksha," Selene said, smirking at Tigra.

"Let's find somewhere off a road... probably less heavily guarded...." she looked oved at Selene, "I'm not a slave..."

"I suggest one of the less crowded places, where there likely will be less people in uniform, too."

Johnny placed a hand over JP's, smirking, "Don't get caught. I don't know what I'll do without you."

"Well, you're not a dog either but I'll go ahead and make the mush joke. Mush!" With that Jean-Paul ducked away from the streets, keeping an eye out in case someone was keeping an eye out on them.

"Don't worry, we'd pay you," Selene replied to Tigra, grinning slightly. "Preferably in food?"

Tigra scowled at JP, "I'm not doing it."

"I'll take food payments."

"Good, I'd rather watch you pull things anyway." He cracked a wider grin, cutting through a yard and looking for some actual cover for crossing on ahead.

Tigra raised an eyebrow as she followed JP, was he hitting on Johnny? Inappropriate timing much?

Johnny snickered.

"We could still take a shortcut through the subway tunnels to get to a less populated place," Selene suggested, following the others. "I've seen them hunt Mexicans on TV, and they always use those thermal cameras, so we might be safer down there."

"They won't be hunting us til we get over the wall, I think we're safe from thermal cameras for now...."

"We just need to find a more...natural place. Which yeah, might be a bit of a challenge."

".... Do you have to insult me in every possible way today?"

"Who?"

"Insulting is his natural setting."

"I believe to most natural place you might find in this part of town would be a junkyard," Selene remarked.

"Aparently...." she frowned, "You realise a feral mutant's main ability is a heightend sense of smell, right? If anyone can find a people-free zone it's me."

Jean-Paul gave her a bit of the hairy eyeball. "I wasn't even that time. I mean that's where they would be less likely to be. Not everything is about you being able to be fuzzy. Then get up here and find it then."

"Selene's got a point about the junkyard though. Shall we?"

She muttered under her breath, "Whatever you want, I'll just trail after you not using any of the useful abilities I was given...." she rolled her eyes a little.

"I guess a junkyard might not be as disgusting as tunnels, so sure."

"Got the trail of a junkyard then, Greer?"

"It would also provide us with the tools to build that catapult should our primary plan backfire in any way."

Greer sighed heavily, scenting the air a little - more to get her bearings than anything else. She knew where the junkyard was. It was like her second home. She set off in the right direction once she was sure where she was.

"Well, hopefully between now and then either Johnny or I will still be capable of flight but always good to have a backup."

"Otherwise we might just have to annex a hotel room until this is over, or raid a mall for camping equipment." Selene paused, walking silently for a moment. "Do you think sewing several tents together to make a hot air balloon could work?"

"How are we supposed to power a hot air balloon?" Johnny asked, paused, and shook his head, "Nevermind."

Tigra grinned at him, "You of all people had to ask that question?"

"...you'll never know until you try." Jean-Paul had a laugh, looking back to make sure they didn't have anyone watching still. "Ahh, this is working out great, not a soul watching anyway and less people around." he dropped his voice for that, approving very much.

"Apparently," he mumbled.

"There probably will be patrols or sentries watching the area beyond the houses, so we might want to be careful before venturing too far out."

"Well, at least it's getting darker." He looked up, having a look at the steadily darkening skies.

"I'm pretty sure I'll be able to hear anyone walking around too...."

"Good to hear." He nodded approvingly.

"And I'll listen for unfriendly minds nearby," Selene added, trying to sort out the psychic signals she picked up in the vicinity.

Johnny tried to think of a job for himself, offering up, "I'll just follow and look better than JP."

"You're underqualified for that, sweetheart."

Tigra giggled a little and shook her head.

"I'll just have to try harder then."

"Don't worry, we'll give you a nice makeover later to make you the prettiest of them all," Selene remarked with a smirk on her lips.

Jean-Paul looked back to Selene. "I get to help, yes?"

"I don't see why not since she'll need to make sure I look better than you," he grinned.

"We could make an epic duel out of the event," Selene replied with a smirk, falling silent as the turned another corner and found themselves approaching the junkyard by the edge of town.

"So I get to dress you, hmm?" Yeah, that was a leer. Right, need to focus, the junkyard was upon them. "Well, definitely empty. Does anyone see where FEMA's set up the border?"

"Dress implies clothing," Johnny pointed out and glanced around.

"It implies taking them on and off as well."

"Doesn't necessarily mean in front of you."

"Not without some climbing..."

"Then you'll just have to settle for coming in behind me." He ran up to the edge of the junk yard, flying just a bit to see over.

Johnny shrugged, "I imagined it'd be the other way around."

"That's the thing about me, I never settle." He called down motioning for Johnny to follow him up to have a look. "I see little peg things, think that's the border marker anyway. I think they've assumed nobody would come this far."

Selene left the looking around business to others, focusing instead on her inner senses. "I don't think anyone is nearby except for us."

Johnny went fiery and took into the air to follow JP for a look, "So, we just jump the border and it's all good..."

"Yeah, that seems to be the jist of it." He turned to look down at the others. "Any food requests you want me to nip out and get then?"

"I'd be content with you coming back to pick us up should that way be clear," Selene replied.

"I can feed myself, get what you like...."

"Right then, see you all in a minute." With that Jean-Paul was off, charging the border.

And then, the second he was over the border he was not, falling out of his run and coming to a rolling stop, out cold.

Selene watched JP fail spectacularly at walking, jumping up behind her cover but deciding to stay clear of the open space. She looked around to see if anything or anyone could have hit him, but just saw him lie motionless on the ground.

Right. So, he definitely wasn't trying to hop the border now...

"Jean-Paul!" Tigra ran over to check on him but the border defenses got her too and she was unconscious and very much human-looking before she hit the floor.

This time Selene ducked further behind her cover, her eyebrows arched when she witnessed Tigra topple over, as well. "Stay here," she told Johnny.

Johnny nodded, fairly content with not moving any closer to the border, "I can do that."

The sound of a truck was roaring closer, coming up to the junk yard now.

"I can't see anyone," she whispered, spinning around when she heard the vehicle approach. "Guess we didn't stay unnoticed, after all."

She debated what to do. Tigra falling over like that had make it obvious that just running over to get them was no option - there was someone or something knocking them out just like that. "They're still alive," she told Johnny, sensing the two mutants life-force.

"Well, that's a plus," Johnny sighed. He was a bit noticeable like this, and now he lacked clothing... He debated which would attract more attention. On fire or naked? "So, what do we do?"

Two of the workers got out, heading for the border and..."We've got naked jumpers? Phil, what the hell is this shit?"

Phil did not know. "Maybe this disease adds crazy too...but she don't look tentacly, does she?" Both men stepped over the border, coming to nudge their finds.

Selene bit her lip when she saw the military truck approach from the wrong side of the border. "I'm not sure we can do anything from here," she whispered back.

Johnny made sure he was out of sight as the men climbed out of the truck, not exactly pleased with them nudging at Tigra. Well, or JP, he guessed. "Nothing comes to mind besides throwing junk..."

"I'd be all for this, but we could end up hurting the wrong one," Selene replied.

"Well, this'll give the guys at camp a thrill I guess." the cuffs came out and Phil toed Greer over, cuffing just in case she woke up and using it to lift her up as his partner in Federal Emergency did the same with Jean-Paul

"Before we do anything, we'll have to find out what knocked them out so easily," Selene told Johnny. "And possibly inform the others somehow."

He glanced over to Selene, "And, we're going to let them take Greer and JP?"

"I'm open for suggestions on how to accomplish that without getting knocked out ourselves or taking too long," Selene replied. "They were here quickly after we tried to cross the border, and no doubt there's more of them."

Their border jumpers now tossed in and locked away. FEMA Phil and Don were off, driving for their camp

Selene bit her lip again. "Well, so much for that," she muttered. "Hopefully they'll at least get some food wherever they're being taken now."