Time Of Green Things 2013: Toxic

Check out what goes on between semesters here!
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Post by Scumfish »

Okay.

So.

It shouldn't bug him that he was 'stuck' here.

Considering he had literally no where else to go...like, seriously, no where else. He'd be spending Christmas here whether there was a crazy evil zombie apocalypse or not. Nothing was any different, seriously.

But still. He was stuck here. By a stupid anti-mutant fence. What was this, The Prisoner?!

"I am not a number!!"

The shout bounced around the buildings around him, echoing back. Alright, that was kinda creepy, let's not do that again. Also, oh look, zombies. They know where you aaaare.

A building got rapidly scaled and bounced from until he was high enough that the tentacles couldn't get him. At least in the snow, the black things were easy to see...and there was a lot of snow. He'd already made an army of evil snowmen marching down a road, and was now waiting for them to come alive...well, it had been three days but damnit, he was optimistic.

After all, if people could be possessed and the zombie apocalypse could happen, why not an army of evil snowmen? Maybe they'd kill all the zombies and he'd be a hero? That'd be totally awesome. He might even get the key to the city...

...Naaaah. He was too badass to be a hero.

Oooooh. Abandoned sweetshop is abandoned. Niiiice.

Half an hour and many, many sugary noms later and he was crouched on a wall, blinking owlishly, snow starting to fall again. So bored. He could do zombie-baiting again...that was kinda fun in the oh-god-I'm-going-to-die way...nah. Got old after the fifth time. Maybe he could go find JP and - naaaah, he'd be bored between now and then.

Huffing, the well-wrapped mutant fell back onto the roof, spread-eagled in the snow, staring up at the sky. "Goooooooooooood...gimme siiiiiiiiiiiiiign. Boooooooored."

Nothing.

Ugh.

Except...

A blimp drifted gently into view for a hardware store. Adam eyed it up, rubbed his red nose with a mitten, before grinning, the snow kicked up in a sudden flurry as he blurred.

Abandoned hardware store? Empty city? Oh hell yes.

"Thanks, God!"
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Scumfish »

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

sometimes I wish I could spend some times in an abandoned mall.
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

Abandoned mall is the modern utopia. *sagenod*
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Scumfish »

Must. Not. Clap. Hands. In. Glee.

Mostly because if he did that right now, he'd be falling one hell of a long way, and he really didn't feel all that depressed.

He managed to get the last nail in, standing on a half-inch of crumbling brick and using a blade to make sure that half-inch that was holding him over forty feet of snowy air didn't pitch him.

Have you ever tried to wire something with just one hand while the other was busy holding you up? He knew he should have grabbed the harness. Ah well, it was done now. He blurred, withdrawing the blade and running down the wall, bouncing and flipping at the last minute. Taking a step back, he admired his handiwork, pushing his goggles up into his hair.

The buildings around him had been painted garish colours, a veritable army of paint points strewn around and the old cyberclothes he was wearing splattered with it. In fact, the coloured buildings went for quite a ways (that warehouse had been very full, and he hadn't even got a quarter of the way through the stock) but the crowning achievement had been when he'd found the glow in the dark and blacklight paint.

...And then rows upon fucking rows of blacklight.

He really hoped no one would go into the storage room that was down from his mixing studio/nest.

But there, nestling in the roofs of the building and stretched along the bottoms of the blacklight-designed blocks, was his baby. His beauty. Sure, Kinetix was still there if he wanted to play on decks, or wanted to drink the bar dry (he'd already stolen all the whiskey. His now, looter's rights - though was it really looting when he had the keys to the place?) but that wasn't-

Oooh. Zombies.

Adam stared impassively at the group moving towards him. There appeared to be a lot of zombies.

...Eeeexcellent...

He reached up to his goggles slowly, pulled them down, then pulled his gasmask up. Tightening his gloves, his eyes suddenly flared red.

A tentacle flicked out. His hand blurred and the tentacle was suddenly diverted, wrapping around a lamp post and half-crushing it. Oooh. Best not get grabbed by one of those if he could help it...

He pushed out a hand to the one who had attacked first - a rather large specimen - and lifted him sharply and struggling into the air. Making a sharp gesture, the thing gargled as every drop of blood came tearing out of it, the bloodless husk dropping to the ground in front of the zombies. This happened to two or three, until Adam was surrounded in whirling ribbons of blood almost as a shield.

He regarded the zombies around him. There was no way he could take on that many, no matter how manic he felt. If he had regenerative healing, perhaps-

A tentacle suddenly whipped around a wrist through coat and glove from behind, and he nearly screamed as the wrist was broken and then did scream as he was jerked off his feet by it. He didn't even look, just knew by the sudden red mist and the 'splorch' that the zombie was gone. But that wasn't the only tentacle.

Cradling his wrist, Adam used speed and reflexes to flip over the sudden storm of black, inky tentacles, the ribbons of blood whipping around and slicing everything in their path.

Doubletap, doubletap, shoot 'em in the head- With that advice running through his mind as he flipped himself up and started running from head to head, pain of his snapped wrist shattering through him, the ribbons split into thousands of tiny, solid drops and started whipping through nearby zombies, their growling screams making him shudder.

It didn't stop the tentacles. There were simply too many, and he couldn't explode or disable them all without knocking himself out.

OshitI'mgoingtodieGodhelpmeplease

The prayer went through his head as he was knocked out of the air by a tentacle, falling to the ground wheezing, whimpering as he landed on his wrist. His eyes flared, his head pounded as he reached for the red and was nearly driven to his knees as the zombies closest exploded, those a few metres away felled like oxen with bleeds from noses and ears and others simply knocked out. Adam panted on his knees, utterly exhausted and half-sobbing - he didn't want to die.

...Wait.

He could levitate people using blood.

Why the fuck hadn't he tried it on himself?

Not a good time to try, but hell, if it didn't work now- he forced himself to stop thinking, turning the blood sense in on himself, feeling his own heartbeat, his own blood - and lifting.

Hey, if he exploded himself at least he wouldn't be a zombie...right?

A tentacle flicked for him. He blurred into the air.

"Jesus, Mary, Joseph and every single fucking one of God's holy Saints, I'm flying!!"

He wavered for a moment before shooting over the zombie's head, hitting a building, correcting his height and dropping onto a roof high enough that they couldn't climb. He immediately dropped to his knees, promptly threw up, then crawled to curl up in the shelter of a chimney where the snow hadn't fallen. Urgh...alright, wasn't doing that again until he could do something out the almost-heart attack, the overwhelming nausea and the odd feeling he was bleeding out of his ears.

...Wait. He was bleeding out of his ears. And nose. Mouth too.

Using his good hand, Adam quickly pulled off his goggles and gasmask, coughing. Ugh...no wonder he was lightheaded as hell. Using up the last of his reserves, he quickly stopped all the bleeds he'd inadvertently started in his own body, muttering the Ave Maria under his breath as he fought to stay awake. He hadn't lost too much blood to internal bleeds, and he just didn't have the energy to remove the extensive bruising he knew was the result of burst capillaries.

...Eeeew. He was going to be one hell of a canvas until he could.

Adam's eyes went back to clear blue as he leant his head back, though offset by being incredibly bloodshot. He panted, then looked down at his wrist, which was at an odd angle, the tip and part of the blade poking out.

Well, at least the blade wasn't damaged.

Despite himself, Adam began to laugh.

-

Adam stayed where he was, drifting a little, until he could at least stand without falling over. For the first time in a long time, he was cold, shivering, every single ounce of energy used up on stopping the bleeding. Apart from his senses he was as good as human, and his senses told him there were still zombies around him. Urgh...he didn't even want to think about having to run, not when his head was swimming and he felt as sick as he did. How did these things track - heat? Smell?

Adam peered over the edge of the building as he shrugged off his coat, pulling off his teeshirt and making a sling for his wrist, pulling the coat back over his bare, heavily bruised torso. Yeah, they were still down there. They knew where he was and was waiting for him to try and make a break for it.

Smart zombies. Damnit.

Adam looked around, realising the roof he'd landed on wasn't that far from the roof he'd been working on. His supplies, in fact, were in view. He smiled, suddenly. Beautifically.

He really hoped the good citizens of New York City had heard of insurance...

Not letting himself think about it, Adam blurred, running, jumping and flipping over the gap between the roofs, stumbling and landing with less than his usual grace. He dry-heaved, before scrabbling over to his piles of rags, paint, various DIY implements (and a chainsaw, but hey, who'd pass up the oppertunity to steal one of those in a city overrun by zombies?) and lots and lots of white spirit, meth spirit and other such happily flammable things. Working quickly, the first thing Adam did was empty several bottles of spirits onto the zombies below, covering his face with the mask and goggles when his eyes and nose started to smart. He shrugged, adding the stolen fuel for the chainsaw too.

Next, using his remaining boneblade, as snow started to fall again, he shredded up some of the rags, partially emptied more spirits onto the strips and stuffed the soaked rags into the necks. Some of the bottles he added nails and bolts to.

...Hah, if anyone had been around, he'd have told them it was his Irish heritage. Why was no one around when he came up with the best one-liners ever? Or, as a matter of fact, when you needed them?

...He realised he'd drifted a little. Fuck. The adreneline was starting to wear off, shock was setting in properly, and he was so cold he actually felt warm. He stared at the bottles owlishly for a moment. No, he was going to get home. He'd been through worse.

Fishing out the lighter, he peered over the edge. Yup, still zombies. Some slightly confused and covered in spirit and petrol, but still zombies. "Hoi!"

As one, they all looked up as Adam picked up a bottle, the others going into the millions of pockets his torusers had, his backpack already stuffed with more (and vodka, and whiskey, and oh son a fuckton of flammable, nasty, easy-to-turn-into weapons.

"Any of you Russian?"

He stood, putting the bottle over the edge, lighter against the rag.

"No? Alright, guess that line won't work. This is New York, though. I'll bet loads of you are Irish. So, you know, count this as a little gift from the good ol' Emerald Isle." The rag jumped to life at the first spark. Adam didn't waste time on words or finesse, simply nudged it over the edge, then ducked.

The flaming bottle dropped like a stone, a streak of yellow as it fell quite prettily.

It exploded in a violent show of heat and flames a few feet above the watching zombies. The spirits and fuel Adam had dumped earlier ignited, sending a beautiful phoenix of flame twenty feet into the air and down the road.

A second bottle followed the first before Adam blurred again, running down the building, protecting himself from the heat with an arm in front of his face-

-burning house, blood everywhere-

-The world slowed down as he forced himself past the flashbacks, forced himself to drop into his speed, turning and throwing another make-shift molotov behind him before he really did pelt it down the wide streets.

As he ran, his good hand reached into a pocket and pulled out his cellphone, hitting speed dial. "Hey, Mr Doctor Hank? I-it's Adam. Um. Shock, internal bleeds, broken wrist, I guess a few burns a-and I'm going to have flashbacks when the adrenaline goes. ...Yes, Doc, I've been taking my pills...yes, Doc, I went into the city even though we were told not to...no Doc, I understand...why yes, Doc, I am running from zombies! Thank you, you go do that now, I'll try to stay in enough pieces to be stitched back together. Do- no, Doc- Hank- goodbye, Doc, kinda busy."

With that, he hung up, put the phone back, picked out another bottle, smashed it into a zombie's face and used his 'burn' to ignite the damn thing, resulting in his coat smouldering at the edges.

"...Aw suck. Looks like Hot Topic's gonna get raided later..."

But the school was in sight now, and he ran for it, leapt over the fence and hit the ground on the other side with an unhappy groan. He simply lay there for a few minutes, completely spent, before realising there were more zombies. And there was a tentacle around his ankle, almost shyly trying to pull him closer, another travelling up his leg-

"Oh no, no, bad touch! Bad zombie! Bad bad bad!" Said zombie got an open bottle of spirit in the face and a lit match followed soon after. The tentacles retreated as he kicked himself further away - and screamed when he back into someone's leg.

"...Y'all are crazy, homme."

Adam got an impression of red feathers, metal and gold eyes before his own blue ones rolled back up in his head, the boy finally fainting.

-

Jay sighed, sticking his cigarette in his mouth as he scooped up the kid, looking at the flaming, flailing tentacle monster and shuddering, eyes caught by the odd glow and a muffled boom out in the city. Hank had grabbed the first person he'd seen - in this case, Jay coming from the gym - and had directed him to go and find Adam.

Pushing up into the air, Jay flew fairly stoically back to the school, carrying Adam easily to the medlab.

No doubt about it, his roomie was right - boy was a friggin' headcase.

Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

Post by Ferguson »

Darren plucked another small, golden ring from the wreakage, "Aha! How about thi-" he squinted at it before tossing it to one side, "naaah, way to big for you babe," he grinned over at his intended.

Tigra sniffed at the items keeping her company on her latest rooftop perch. They'd been there for a while... probably most people didn't want to be up that high but she found it reassuring to be able to survey her surroundings all at the same time.

"You know, I'm certain there has to be something in my contract that states I shouldn't be stealing with students...I can trust you all to keep this a secret?" Lorna looked back at the others, smirking. "Just imagine if I got sacked. Who else would let you play with chainsaws in art class?"

"It's such a shame this place got hit so badly, isn't it?" Selene returned Darren's smile. "It would be irresponsible to leave all these shiny baubles to get lost in the dust and debris, don't you think?" She encountered an unbroken showcase, and promptly corrected the situation by accidentally dropping a heavy hat-stand into it. "Such a shame indeed."

"Haven't got to that part of the curriculum, Mrs Drake." Adam was clutching an odd bottle of clear fluid. "Was that before or after the ice sculptures with flamethrowers?"

Chainsaws in art class? Gambit has watch the pair for several minutes now, and that line had thrown him, somewhat. That woman was a teacher? Looting? Hardly professional conduct. He kept a charged playing card in hand, just in case, and continued to watch... for now.

"Oh I dunno, I was hoping to collect enough evidence to get you fired so I could steal your job, there can only be one! ... art teacher ..." Darren snickered to himself as he found another display case.

"Sounds like a mutually beneficial arrangement there," Selene replied, showing Lorna a smirk.

A pigeon landed on the far side of the roof. It hadn't seen her. Eeeeexcellent.

"I don't know, I'd let you cover portrait painting and the like. I'll give you Bob the Model's number...he always goes over so well."

Darren peered out of the window to check zomboid movements, "I don't wanna rush you people but there seem to be more of them generally meandering this way, and we've still gotta go find dresses and stuff," he picked up another ring and a jewlers eyepiece that he'd found behind the counter, screwed it into his eye for the effect and peered at it ... ooooooh.

Adam muttered to himself, blue eyes narrowed over his mask, black PVC coat replacing the one he'd burnt as he edged closer to the group. Wearing mostly blue and black, he looked like an extremely paranoid and skinny Twi'lek, the fake blue-black dreads near-glowing. "Mrs Drake, I swear I will do all your paperwork if we never have to see him again."

His arm was still in a sling as he nervously watched the zombies. "Did you know they can crush you? It really hurts. Lots. Also, Mrs Drake, I would totally help you hide the bodies too."

The pigeon took off in an attempt to flee as Tigra pounced. she caught it but missed the edge of the roof and plummeted to the ground, landing on a car. "Ow...." she still had her pigeon though. Score!

Lorna moved to peer out at the general shufflings of the hobo zombie parade. "Yeah, might want to get a move on at that. And Bob the Model is a passage into adulthood." She paused, looking back at Adam and smirking. "I'll keep the body hiding in mind...I think we might want to move, the zombos definitely would have heard that landing."

Adam eyetwitched. "Want I should burn them? I can totally burn them. Zombies burn good."

"It's harder to draw ugly people than beautiful, Bob's a pretty good model for learning life drawing," he held the ring out to Selene, "What do you think, regular and black diamonds? It's your size and probably costs the same amount as a small island."

"As much as these things sparkle and glitter, I think i still prefer more modest accessories," Selene mused, holding up a heavy necklace. "Roadkill jewelry and animals bones beat expensive kitsch any day, if you ask me."

In watching the newcomers, Remy'd totally forgotten about the potentially lifethreatening situation he'd found himself in. Still, seeing them rummage was amusing him: he'd already taken most of the decent stuff from this room. He couldn't help but smirk silently to himself.

She shook her head. "I'm not convinced people aren't still in there somewhere." She glanced back at everyone. "We haven't been doing too bad by them, have we?" She bit her lip, thinking it over. "Well, we have to defend ourselves, can't help that."

"Pleeeeeeaaase lemme burn them..." Adam sniffed, before narrowing his eyes. "Um. Lorna? We're not alone. I don't mean the zombos..." His eyes flared red. "...Yup, 'nother human in here." He paused. "...Want I should burn?"

Tigra extracted herself from the folded roof-crater she was lying in and sat up to chew on her catch while she kept her eyes and ears open for zombie movements.

Glancing at Darren and the ring he held out for her, Selene gave it a scrutinizing look and smirked. "Of course, I'm willing to make an exception for the one or other exception piece," she said. "If I end up not liking it, we can still exchange it for that island later."

Darren shrugged, "If they're trying to hurt me and my own, i'm taking 'em down before they take us down," he gave her a slightly appologetic smile, "sorry teach, guess that's just an army way of looking at things."

Damn... had he been spotted? How the... he was perfectly hidden! The unlit corridor at the back of the store was pitch as night... save for the glowing card he held inside his pocket. Maybe he was just being paranoid. He remained perfectly still..

"...Maybe I shouldn't tell you I've been keeping score...?"

"Oh? Awesome! We have a winner, but gotta do this properly," he got down on one knee and took Selene's hand, "So Sel ... haven't changed your mind have you?"

Selene peered out of the window, spotting Tigra climbing off a wrecked car outside. "I think the cat is about to drag something in."

"I'll just...pretend I didn't hear that bit." Lorna looked about, not sure what she was looking for but trusted Adam's senses. "Now now, we don't burn possible friends or anything. Wait until you decide they're worth burning."

Adam sniffed again, blood-red eyes narrowed as he looked around in the way that only the truly paranoid could. Damnit, he hated being watched and- "Ooooh! Shiny!" He suddenly bounded over the road, paranoia, person and zombies forgotten, gloved hand pressed against a window. "...Must have."

"..." Lorna gave up, shaking her head and just reaching over and patting Adam's shoulder. "Darren, do you know what he was talking about?"

Tigra licked her fur clean of blood and hopped off the car to wander inside to the others, "You guys not done yet?" she climbed up on a counter, curling her tail around her legs as she sat down.

"Sure do, adolesent human male, he was in here before we were, unarmed, guess he just had a similar idea to us," Darren called over, still kneeling.

"...Sure thing, teach." He said vaguely, before tapping the glass, red eyes fixed on the coat in the window. Oh man, and it was better than the one he'd wasted. He put his hand on the glass, blurred it in a circle and grinned happily as the entire window shattered. "Is mine now."

Turning her head, Selene found that she was getting proposed to in what had to be the most unfitting, inappropriate, and tasteless scenario imaginable. It was just like in her wildest dreams. "Oh, how could I, love," she replied, a grin on her lips as she looked down at Darren. She took his hand.

"Person. Is guy, watching, smells of burny...I think? I don't know." Adam petted the coat before nicking it. "Um. I could probably you know...pull him out, but I'm not completely recovered yet..."

Darren slipped the ring onto her finger, stood up, picked her up and swung her around him, okay, buisness taken care off now they could deal with their little voyer.

Oh she was definitely not being a good role model tonight...but Darren and Selene needed their things and it wasn't as if insurance wasn't going to cover this all when the store owners got back. "Hello?"

Adolescent? Human? Unarmed?! Whoever these guys were, they clearly had no idea what they were talking about. Still, the 'human' thing threw him. Did they mean he wasn't a zombie... or something else? One called out: remy didn't answer. Too many questions, not enough answers. He didn't want to walk straight into the unknown just yet.

Tigra sniffed at the scents in the air, "Think maybe he's scared."

"Not suprised with a half-naked catgirl running around, I'd be scare too," Darren said, still holding Selene off the ground.

"...Nope. I'd say wary."

"Zombies do that to a person." Lorna figured, "And the half-naked catgirl would depend fully on his taste in entertainment."

"... Well no one's asking you, Darren." Tigra narrowed her eyes on him.

Just as he said that, there was a sudden zip and a chunk knocked out of the wall. "Zombie!" He dove behind a counter, cowering.

Scared?! Remy LeBeau was never SCARED. That was enough. Pulling his hand from his pocket, the card glowing in the darkness of the corridor he stood in, he walked out towards the group, hair falling over his face to conceal his eyes. "Take more dan a zombie t' scare me, cherie." A sudden craack, a section of wall falling away grabbing Remy's attention. "Thinkin' we're on de same side for now, non?"

"Kill them! Hurt them!"

While Lorna took the commendable route of caution, Selene went for a more proactive approach, and while still holding on to Darren, reached over to the counter, picked up a small ceramic cherub statue, and chucked it into the direction of the stranger.

"Balls" Lorna was up in the air, breaking metal bits of the display case off for projectiles. "You know, I think that sounds reasonable. Good to meet you."

Reflexes as sharp as ever, Remy tossed the glowing card straight at the cherub, exploding it on impact. "Dis how y' treat people y' just met?"

"Argh! Zo- wait. You're not a zombie. Excellent!" A bottle of clear liquid was pushed into the stranger's hand along with a lighter. "Molotov, light and throw, light and throw!!"

"Ahhh! Sonuva-" Darren lept into the air with Selene, and the guy had emerged and ... he knew that accent, "Aww hell, another frikkin' cajun?" he grumbled, watching a tendril start to try and ram it's way through the wall.

"It's a sign of affection," Selene replied, letting go of Darren so she could land on her on two feet again.

"Fire BAD!" Tigra supplied at the sound of the word 'molotov'.

"Also, type A negative, we have plenty of that at the school, and fire not bad, fire saved me from being et!"

"Zombie slaying good!" Darren said, bringing both hands up and concentrating, sending out a pulse of yellow energy towards the tendril, there was an angry shriek from the other side of the wall.

He stares at the bottle with a smirk, tossing the lighter aside. "You guys do nothin' but talk? Dunno if y' realised, but..." The bottom glows, and Remy throws it. "...Dis kinda a dangerous place t' be right now!" the bottle sails throw the window, and explodes outside.

A tendril headed for Adam again. "Hey hey hey, we discussed this, I might be a little freaky but no freaky lovin' bitches!" The tentacle met a blurring blade. "Nice throw!" Another zombie was picked up, struggling. "Lorna, kill or disable?"

"Well...pays to be on your toes." Lorna cleared her throat, more than a tad sheepish as she let herself come back to the ground as she aimed her projectiles at the nearest tentacle. She watched as the bottle went out and apparently did it's explody thing. "Now that's quite nice."

Tigra headed outside, ducked a couple of tendrils and pulled a street light out of the ground to hit things with. Golfing with Zombies was totally getting sold as a game idea.

"Handy trick you've got there dude," Darren called over, "but in my professional opinion we should evac," he aimed another blast.

"If you can avoid killing by all means." She knew reason would dictate just letting him go on that but there was still a chance they were people somewhere in there...plus cutting Adam's tether loose just seemed like a bad idea. "Yes, I trust we've gotten everything we came for? No need to stick around."

"Y' always ask yo' girlfriend for orders?" Remy said with a smile to the... the guy who weirdly knew his bloodtype. He grabbed a piece of shattered glass from the ground, charged it, and threw again. Turning to the young woman who complimented him, he flicked his hair back from his face and smiled. "Wait 'til y' see my other tricks." Evac was suggested... and Remy couldn't help but think that running may be the best idea.

Darren tapped the pocket that he'd stashed the two golden wedding bands in, "We're good, boss."

"Yes, run away, run away before they hurt you." Adam nodded, before bouncing the zombie on its head a couple of times and dropping it. "Not my girlfriend, gorgeous, just my teacher. I'm gay." He grinned, pulling the mask down and holding his good gloved hand out. "Adam Kilduff. I'm not insane." He paused. "...At least, on paper I'm not insane."

Tigra was smacking zombies away with her makeshift bat, trying to best her own record of five blocks.

Gorgeous?? Well, Remy was never one to turn down a compliment, no matter where it came from. "Gambit. Sanity questionable, dey say," he replied with a grin, before gesturing to the corridor he'd hidden in. "Leads out back. Was clear out dere when I came in//"

Darren nodded, "Back sounds good, i'll cover you guys, you got point Lorna?"

Huh, so Adam had decided on that? Good for him. "They have a tendency to swarm shops once they realize there are people around but we should be kosher." She kicked off of the ground again, hovering to the lead. "Got it."

Adam grinned. "You're my new best friend. I'll tell Bit not to kill you in your sleep."

Selene pelted the approaching oozy zombies with various pieces of jewelry. "This place pretty much lost its charm," she said. "

"Yo Tiggy!" Darren called out the window, "we're evacing, out back!"

"Yeah I can hear you!" Tigra rolled her eyes, smacking another zombie away and picturing it as Darren's head.

She... flew? Ok, that explained why they hadn't been shocked by his powers then. There people were freaks like him! He was unsure about this guy being his best friend... but not being killed in his sleep was always a plus point. "Hope y' all got a car or somet'ing.."

Adam gave him a blank look. "I run faster than tube trains. Why the hell would I want a car?" With that, he grabbed the guy and started tugging him. "Come on, people, my wrist says zombies bad. I bet anything it'll start aching when zombies are near - or tentacles."

"So, you got a place you're living, Mr Gambit?...and do you count a van as good enough?" Speaking of which, it might be a good idea to all ready start that van up and get it down the street for them.

"... So you're good out there by yourself then, playing zombie ball?" Darren fired a few blasts into the horde to keep them back as he checked everyone else was heading out.

Discovering more of the frighteningly cheerful cherub statuettes, Selene decided to make the best possible use of the little naked buggers, channeled enough energy into them to animate a small flock, and sent them out to cover their retreat. "Fly, my lovelies!"

"Yeah, I can climb the walls if they get too close and I'm faster than they are on foot anyway. I'm good."

He allowed himself to be dragged away, picking up his pace as he realised just how close danger was. "Got an apartment I locked down a few blocks from here. Wasn't really 'spectin company though..." he replied, not entirely sure if he wanted to share his safehouse with others.

"... Okay then, have fun," Darren gave her a lazy salute and followed the others out back.

Tigra cheered as she cleared her record... sure it was on a bounce but who was gonna argue?

"...Thought teach said no killing...?" He muttered, totally ignoring his own love for burning zombies.

"Sooooo Tiggy's quite possibly nobley sacrificed herself so we could get away, what now?" Darren said, bolting the back door behind him for all the good it would do.

Selene slipped out the back of the store, quickly sending a telekinetic garbage can to topple a zombie in the distance before it could decide to head their way. "I'd be very welcome for a more comfortable place to take this party."

Tigra turned her ears to listen to the movements of the others, waiting til she thought they'd gotten far enough away.

"...That is the damnedest thing I've ever seen." Lorna practically forgot herself, hovering in place watching the cherub army. Oh, wait, yes. Zombies, best avoid. Lorna swore as one snapped a whiplike inky tentacle towards her leg. "Bad touch, don't approve." She gave it a quick slice and flew again.

"The question is..." He carried on up the hall. "The really important question is...will this coat go with my dreads?"

"...You people are crazy," Remy replied as he eyed them all with a degree of suspicion. However, there were some rather pretty faces in their number, and they -were- freaks like him... Maybe he could at least offer them his safehouse for now. Safety in numbers, right? "T'ree blocks away. Got my bike out de back. Where be dis van of yours?"

"Oui, we are. Well, I am. Can't vouch for them. I just like blowing shit up and I'm heavily medicated to stop me doing it."

Once they were far enough to be safe, Tigra jumped up and scaled the wall of the mall, taking the route over the roof. She jumped off and landed on the pavement just behind the group.

"We might be crazy," Selene replied, sending a dumpster into another zombie down the road, "but If the available options consist of tentacles zombies made of black goo and a bunch of crazy people, which would be the more sensible choice?"

"I don't know, a nice family outing to a zoo? Can we move faster please?"

"At least you don't say crazy like it's a bad thing," Darren grinned, pointing, "The van's that way, couple-a blocks away."

"Your dreads are pretty much whichever colour you want that day so I'll say you're good." She flew a bit faster, looking behind her. "Van is coming. So...you looking for a place maybe? We have a school...sort of an odd recruitment call but there you go."

"It's an epic school. It has lights and heating and everything!"

"...Y' got a good point, cherie," Gambit admitted, perhaps a little hesitantly. He broke off from the group as they got to the loading area out back, and beelined straight to his motorcycle, leant up against the wall. Swinging a leg over and kickstarting it, he tilted his head. "Can carry one o' you. De rest, y' have to run it."

Tigra followed along behind the group, not really listening to the conversation since her senses were busy scouting for trouble... and more pigeons. She was hungry.

"And is mostly zombie free, as well," Selene added.

The van rounded the corner, driverless as Lorna was pulling it along, bowling into one of their zombie friends and making a squealing stop near Tigra.

"Ten points Lorna!"

"...I wanna ride the bike! Can I ride the bike?"

Tigra blinked at the van sliding to a stop, "Man if that had been much closer I'd have no toes..."

"Long as y' keep y' hands somewhere sensible.." Remy replied with a raised eyebrow, head snapping around as a driverless van flung around into the loading area. "Geez! Dere anyt'ing y' can't do?!"

"Tap dance."

".... You know you need toes to do that, right?"

"Hey, no groping on a first date. And by the power of friendship...yeah, actually, there's a fuckton we can't do. End world hunger being one." He swung a leg over the bike, good arm tight around the guy. "I can fling anything out of our way. Go as fast as you like."

"I have ten perfectly fine toes thank you very much ... at least when I want them, doesn't mean I can tap dance ... or blow smoke rings."

"I can totally tapdance...I just move the metal in the shoes!" Lorna called back as she dove for the driver's seat. "You follow us to the school?"

She opened the door and climbed on into the van, "That's cheating - bad teacher!" Tigra laughed.

"Also, I suggest we try to not stray too far from our transportation the next time we scout the monster infested back-alleys," Selene announced, hopping into the van. "See? You forced me to be the sensible one of the group. Doesn't that tell us that we might be getting a little too reckless here?"

Oh God...Selene was right.

"Aww, but that's no fun then babe," Darren mock-pouted, sliding into the van beside her and putting his arm around her shoulders, "Guess we'll have to go dress shopping another day then huh?"

"I didn't even think there was a 'too reckless' for you, Sel... oh my God it really is the end of the world."

A little unsure how he felt about his choice of biking partner, he figured there were much more important things at hand here. "Reckless would be stayin' here any longer, cherie. Follow me, oui?" Remy said, a hint of desperation to his voice, as he kicked the bike into life, revving it loudly before taking off, hoping the others has the sense to follow.

A zombie slowy, sedately piroetted into the air in front of them, before getting slammed so hard into a wall the brick cracked. "...Hope they have insurance. And for the record, I'm no predator. It's just near my meds time."

"They didn't have my colour, anyway," Selene replied, resting her head on Darren's shoulder.

Lorna peeled out, tailing this Gambit fellow as closely as she dared in the dear old school van. "I'm convinced this thing is magic sometimes."

"Homme, don't be sayin' tings like dat when we on a motorbike, neh?" Remy said, wondering just what on earth was going through this unusual young mans head... and just what it was his ability was. He had no doubt in his mind he was amongst and entirely mutant group now. As he tackled the corner towards 'his' apartment sharply, he supposed that this wasn't such a bad thing, under the circumstances.

"Magic how?" Tigra raised an eyebrow, "Because driving itself doesn't count when you're doing it."

"But that one in the first wndow was already shredded, it would have looked awesome," Darren said, shrugging and kissing her temple.

"Hey, look. I could totally point out that I'm riding you shotgun here, but I'm not going to. You blow things up, that's cool, but it's not like I'm going to drag you down a backalley and rape you. There's only one person my roofies are for."

"Again, homme... too much.." He paused, another sharp corner. He hoped the van was keeping track of him. "..Information." They were closing in on his apartment, and as he slowed to a halt, he was careful to make sure the street they now found themselves on was deserted. Turning in his seat, he waited for the van.

"I meant more that it's managed to survive with us all these years considering what we put it through. It's a wonder the thing runs." She patted the dash. "That's it baby girl, you keep on purring."

"Hm, you're right," Selene replied, a thoughtful expression on her face. "We should definitely look out for torn dresses in the future. Blood splatters are a bonus."

"Yeah, I'm good at that. I don't have an inappropriate button." He admited happily. "Apparently it makes me fun to be around. That and the stabby."

"... I'm not gonna burst your bubble. Yeah it's magic."

"I'm pretty sure that the spirit of Professor Forge inhabits it and is what keeps it together," Selene remarked with a serious expression and nodded.

"Something belonging to Forge inhabited it at least," Darren muttered, deciding against just where he'd found the old perverts hidden camera in here.

"Have I mentioned how much I'm looking forward to your wedding, Selene?" She pulled a face at the mention of the deceased Professor. "Well, he did have a fondness for such things."

"Y' definitely ain't borin', dat's for sure..." Remy replied with a grin, patting the young mans leg to indicate he should get off the bike. "Here dey come. Surprised dat old t'ing dey drivin' ain't broken down."

"And other things."

Lorna put on the break early as she saw Gambit and Adam stopped ahead. "There we are...doesn't seem to be anything inky and black around." She opened the door, poking her head out. "Not a bad area."

"I'm quite positive it's going to be quite memorable," Selene told Lorna. "Once I'm done calculating when the stars are right, you'll be the first to get the date for the reception."

Adam complied, going around the street in a blur to make sure there were no zombies before stopping next to the bike. "Well...there's a few of us who have abilities with mechanical things. The punk guy, Darren? He does this weird shit with electrical stuff. It's awesome. Just don't piss him off. Same with the green-haired chick, Lorna. Talk about magnetic personality."

Tigra poked her head out and scented the air, "We're good." She stepped out onto the street.

"Also, thanks, I'd hate to be boring." He pulled his mask down and grinned again.

"The stars are always right," Darren waved his fingers infront of his mouth in the classic cthulhu immitation, "when you have the DR."

"I had hoped we would be taking the scenic route," Selene commented, hopping out of the van.

"Secnic? In New York?" Darren climbed out after her, whistling when he saw the building they'd stopped infront of, "Well if you're gonna squat, might as well squat in style."

Slowly, he was getting their powers together. Shotgun guy, did lots of stuff. Catgirl was... well, a cat girl. Teacher lady could fly. Punk guy, electrics... Quite a rag tag bunch, really. "Follow me, amies. And close an' lock de doors behind y', oui?" he said, wheeling his bike up towards one of the apartments. He didn't stop, continuing to push it up the few stone steps, pushing the door open and wheeling the bike into the hallway.

"So you suggest we marry in the DR;" Selene asked Darren. "It's an intriguing idea. We could pick any setting we like, and I'm sure Danger wouldn't object to downloading an online certification so she can conduct the ceremony herself."

"Adam, boring? I'm pretty sure that has never happened in his life." She gave Tigra a nod at the all clear. "Good. Now we can meet each other properly." She nodded, following behind Gambit as he led the way.

"Don' scratch her as y' walk past," Remy said, his bike being about the only constant thing in his life. and began to walk up the stairs towards the top floor: the elevator had given out ages ago.

"Very scenic, thanks to me. Painting by yours truly. Zombos don't appreciate it though." He followed the new guy, giving the bike a curious and respectful look as he was careful in passing her. "...Don't usually see bikes this close. She's pretty."

"... So I could fulfill my life-long dream of gettng married in R'lyeh?" Darren's eyes pratically glowed with the possibilities.

Tigra followed the guy indoors, hopping up onto the handrail to walk up that way instead of on the steps.

"...Mrs Draaaaake can I have a biiiiike?"

"If the state of New York will let you have a license for it I suppose I can't stop you." Lorna answered back, wondering just how that would turn out and imagining Adam driving into the recroom.

Selene paused before heading up along with the others, tapping a finger against a nearby streetlamp, imbuing it with enough power it could keep a watchful eye on their surroundings. She then followed the others.

"I can totally pretend I'm sane enough to be allowed to ride one."

"Dude ... I'm pretty sure in New York you have to fail the sanity test to pass the driving one, you've seen the cabbies right?"

"Good point."

Adam gave Darren and Lorna a purely innocent blank look.

Tigra decided to stay out of it. Voicing her concern about the idea of Adam behind the controls of any vehicle would probably result in her being pursued by said vehicle.

That look simply wasn't to be trusted. "So, how long have you been here?" She asked their host, having a quick look around.

"I'll have you know I have the perfect balance of an NY cabbie and an Irish grandma when it comes to driving anything."

"Cozy," Selene commented upon looking around.

"... That's a terrifying idea, even for me, and there's no way I can be hurt by being run over," Darren muttered before sprawling across a chair.

"Only 'bout a week," Remy replied, having left them to their banter as they finally reached the second to top floor. He pushed a door, unlocked, open into one of the apartments. "Ain't got no key, so barricade it wit' dat dresser once y' all in, 'kay?" he instructed, leaving them to let themselves in as he quickly checked the rest of the place. All clear, it seemed. For a city in ruins, Remy had gone out of his way to not only keep this apartment safe, but comfortable. Sure the windows were boarded shut, but the fridge was stocked, and there were plenty of books and *ahem* magazines laying around to keep him amused during his captivity within the NYC limits.

"This brings back fond memories of my stay in the windy city," Selene remarked, stepping into the room. "I like what you made out of the place."

Adam went and stood nervously in the corner, wrinkling his nose a little and eyeing up a mag. "I prefer my nest. My nest has a fort and a rabbit."

Tigra resisted the urge to sniff at everything. A guy living on his own for a week and not going out for fear of zombies... yeah. She could already guess that. She moved to look out of a window instead.

"It's a pretty sweet pad," Darren said, a weathered eye going over the magazines and approving of the guy's tastes.

"Does de job," Remy grinned in response, looking over the group. Generally, they all seemed around a similar age to himself, perhaps give or take a few years. It was strange, to be around a group of people just like himself, with their oddities and powers. "Take it y' ain't all from New York den?" he asked.

"No shit, Sherlock. Ireland, bred and true." Adam grinned happily.

Tigra shook her head, "No - Chicago." She tucked her tail around her legs as she sat down by the window.

"Barracks brat here," Darren gave the guy a salute, "i'm from all over."

"De accent gave it away, homme," he said with a smile to his shotgun buddy, eyes then moving to the cat girl. Chicago, huh? He hadn't been there in a while. He wondered just how well Chicago had taken to having a were-cat living in their midst...

"From everywhere and nowhere," Selene replied, a slight smile on her lips as she looked towards the guy. "Originally from Spain, however, in case you're interested."

army kid gave his salute, Remy playfully mocking it back. The woman (a pretty one at that) from everywhere, and Spain. He could see it in her eyes. "Always interested in de pretty ones like you, cherie," he replied with a wink.

Darren smirked at the flirting, "Yeah, she is pretty interesting," he said smoothly, wondering what Selene would do to this one.

"Well, you're certainly not the only one who has made his interest in me known," Selene replied, her smile turning into a wry smirk. "Just keep in mind that curiosity often leads down a perilous path. I guess there are some things man is not supposed to know. Incidentally, I keep most of them in my closet."

Darren snorted and grinned knowingly to himself.

"She's not even kidding a little bit."

"She has meds too." Adam supplied helpfully.

"Perilous paths? Dey tend t' be my favourite kind," Remy replied, a small grin, and a quick look at the other two as they jumped in. "Am I standin' in a room full of mutant asylum break-outs of somet'ing?"

"Nope. I'm the only actual insane one. She's just nuts."

"That's debatable... I'd have said yes...."

"Yes well, you would."

"Including yourself in that number too, I take it?"

"I'm not crazy... but my mom thinks I am."

Darren pulled a packet of cigarettes out of his pocket, offering them around, "Don't mind if I, do you dude?"

Selene grinned at the new guy, before looking at the others. "I like him already," she said. "He's amusing. Can we keep him?"

"Only if he follows us home. I kinda like him too."

There was a blur, and Darren's packet was down by one.

"Riiiight..." he replied, looking a little suspicious of them. Just what had he gotten himself into?! Armybrat pulled out a carton of cigs, Remy shrugging. "So long as y' don't mind sharin'?" he replied, holding his hand out expectantly.

"Hey, hey, no plannin' on takin' me home. Dunno if y' moms ever told ya, but I AIN'T de kinda guy y' wanna bring home. Not f' more dan a single night, anyways." he said with a small chuckle.

"Was why I was offering 'em dude," he smiled, taking one out and holding it to the tip of his index finger, it grew yellow hot for a second as he lit the cigarette before passing it over to him, "Name's Kent by the way, Darren Kent," he lit his own smoke and brought it to his lips, glancing at Adam.

"Didn't know you smoked, dude?"

"I can get along with that kind of guy." Tigra grinned fangily.

"Y' know-" Adam paused long enough to light his fag. "-We are gonna have to get back to the school eventually. And dude, most of us ain't got moms. I don't." He took a small drag. "I don't, not often, smell and taste's too much, but I did nearly get eaten yesterday." He waved his splinted wrist.

"Think the last time I smoked was Kevin. Oh wait - nope - JP."

"Merci," Remy replied, taking the lit cirgarette and enjoy a long, deep drag on it, smiling inwardly at catgirls comment. He made no effort to offer his own name back. They mentioned their school again, Remy tilting his head curiously. "What school is dis?"

"Xavier's school for freaks and weirdos." Adam grinned. "Like us."

"Xaiver's University, it's for gifted people," Darren grinned, a bit of smoke escaping the side of his mouth.

"My name is Selene, by the way." she tossed in.

Xavier? Never heard of him. But then, Remy wasn't really one to keep up with news. Another introduction, this time from the Senorita. Remy walked over to her, reaching out to take her hand, a light kiss placed upon it. "Pleasure, cherie."

"We take in pretty much everyone with the whole mutie thing. It's a good place - and completely protected from zombies."

Charming bastard, wasn't he? He'd have to watch this one ... not that he didn't trust Selene but .... yeah.

"I'm Greer... or well... I prefer 'Tigra' in this form - I shapeshift."

He gave a brief wink to Selene, then turned to the catgirl, quite intrigued. "De fluff ain't permenant, den?" he asked, having already wondered that. Having a minor one of his own, physical mutations were always quite interesting to Remy.

"See? Apparently it takes a guy living in a dump to show you lot what proper manners mean." Selene smirked as she looked from the new guy to the rest of the group.

Adam took another drag. "Nope. She can look completely normal." He lifted a fake dread to show a pointed ear before grinning at Selene. "Aw, I'm always polite. You gave me drugs."

"I have manners! I even make my own sandwhiches!" Darren protested.

*sandwiches

"Yeah I can look human if I want... it's just warmer and safer when I'm furry...." she concentrated for a moment and shifted back to her fleshy self, "See?"

"Manners, homme, means y' should be makin' HER de sandwich, not y'self," Remy said with a smirk, before his attention was quickly taken back by catgirl... Tigra... as she transformed. "Dat... dat's... Wow. Pretty good trick..." he said, somewhat.. transfixed for a few moments.

"Professor Charles Xavier owns the school, we're just a bit away in Westchester." Lorna rejoined the group after watching the window for any signs of trouble. "And I'm Lorna, Professor Dane-Drake though I'm pretty sure most everyone drops the Dane by now. Figured I should introduce myself properly as well."

"She lets me use a chainsaw."

He tore his eyes from Tigra to Lorna, eyebrows raised. "Double-barrelled, eh? Guessin' y' got a nice man waitin' fo' y' at home while y' go lootin' den?" he asked, not wanting to know if Adam was being serious or not..

"You double-barreled your name, I thought you just took Bobby's?"

"Most of us drop the Drake, as well, and only call her Lorna," Selene tossed in, before looking at the green haired teacher. "Sorry, I didn't mean to subvert your authority."

"Only on trees though. And occasionally birds..."

"Bobby thought it'd be funny if I could say my name was Lorna double D...it was in a fit of immaturity. It's what happens after getting married by aging Elvis."

"It's okay, cutlery is mine. That's all the authority I need."

"...Though there was that one time...I stopped the bleeding and he got it reattached though..."

Greer shivered a little then shifted back into her fur. Warmer now.

"Fear the spork," Selene said ominously.

"Seriously, fear it."

"But not as much as the barbeque fork."

"But anyway. Yeah, that's what the school's about. Safe, warm, full of nommy things and people to poke."

Yep, freak school, by every meaning of the word. Tigra changed back (a shame..) and Remy looked around them all, pointing in turn "Lorna, Selene, Gr- Tigra, Darren an' Adam, oui?"

"Oui!"

Tigra nodded, "Yep." she gave him a smile.

"Got it in one," Darren smirked.

He'd try to remember that, as he was generally good with names. Another relaxing drag on the cigarette (he'd have to find some of his own tomorrow, as he'd forgotten how much he enjoyed it) as he finally felt at ease enough to sit on the couch. "So, how long y' plannin' on stayin'?"

"I dunno, how long till you throw us out man?" Darren took a long pull.

"Until there's no more tentacle rape."

"Keep de smokes comin', and I'll consider it y' rent," he replied coyly, avoiding giving a exact time limit on just how long he'd put up with them.

Lorna looked to the others. "Well, tentacles are a worry." She admitted.

That made Darren laugh.

"I think we're still good...." Tigra put in, "You can kick us out if you want."

"No he can't. I rode shotgun, you can't just reject that kind of thing."

"It's a life bond you have now, hmm?"

"...Wait, was that inappropriate?"

Remy shrugged, taking a final pull on the cig until it was all but down to the filter, before putting it out on the boarded window beside him. He smirked at Adam's comment, rolling his red-on-black eyes a little. "Gonna be gettin' dark out dere soon. Y' might as well wait til mornin', neh?"

"Highly," Darren flicked some ash of his cigarette.

Adam sidled to a boarded up window, peering out through a crack. "...Yeah. I've been chased by them in the dark." He sobered a little. "It's not pleasent."

"Until then I'll be tempted to try and talk up the school, just because I'm on the school staff and feel like I should since we can't really get out too often to bring in new students in the current situation...though I guess the jet would get by things easily enough...huh." Lorna found herself distracted, thinking that through. "Well, this way we don't have to worry about FEMA or the CDC alerting anyone to a mystery jet."

"I can see fine enough in the dark... but I guess some of you are at a disadvantage..."

"'Nough room f' everyone, I t'ink," Remy said, gesturing around the room. Two armchairs, the couch he sat on, the floor, and... "Only one bedroom. Double. Someone's welcome t' join me if y' want," he offered, a sideways glance to Selene.

"Yeah. You know they'll totally claim Blackwatch, right?" Adam rubbed the back of his head, taking another drag. "Not me, pussycat, I'm fine in the dark. I just object to wasting good molotovs on zombies."

"...I'd love to, man, really would, but like I said - my roofies are in another glass."

Lorna wished she was completely certain Adam was joking about that. She couldn't help but have some small doubts, however.

"I don't think the military's quite desperate enough to unleash the force of a thousand suns upon New York, Adam," he raised an eyebrow at Selene, she was going to have fun with that one.

"I agree that the jet might be a bit too obvious in this situation," Selene remarked. "We might as well take him up on the offer. After all, we're even provided with entertainment." Sitting down on the mattress, she picked up one of the stray magazines.

Tigra watched the tip of her own tail flick back and forth. She was still hungry.

"Not sure they're to y' taste, cherie," Remy said as Selene picked up a mag. What?! He was a guy, and he'd been stuck by himself for almost two weeks. Could you blame him for wanting SOMETHING worth coming home to?

"And I'm quite sure my fiance would love to take you up on the offer with the bed and all," Selene added, smirking over the edge of the magazine. "As an army brat, he's used to the whole sharing bunks business, I guess."

"I don't think anyone can judge Selene's tastes." Lorna smirked very slightly, trying to hide the amusement and automatic curiosity as to what Selene would say.

Adam glanced sideways at the guy, unnatural blue eyes narrowed slightly, noting he didn't even know his name yet. "Hey...you know, I can't just call you 'man' all the time. You got some name we can call you by? Or I'm going to end up making one up for you, and it might just be as unsound as my reputation."

"...Either that or I'll make JP jealous by calling you bitch."

"Oh believe me, they are," Darren gave Gambit a leering wink, "and yes, I'm sure all three of us could squeeze in, might be a bit of a tight fit though," Darren waggled his eyebrows form emphasis and grinned evilly.

Oh yeah, names were important to know... she needed to write that down. She always forgot to ask.

"...I now know too much." She said mostly to herself, trying not to picture any of this.

Fiance? His eyes moved from Senorita to Army Brat, smile falling slightly. He hadn't been expecting that. "Non, I'm good, t'anks," he replied, perhaps a little awkwardly. He was desperate right now, perhaps... but not to that extent. Finally, they got around to asking names...

"Y' can call me Gambit," he replied, sticking to his rule of keeping his name hidden. You never knew who'd recognise it, after all.

"We can certainly stick with that."

Awww ... the little crestfallen look was quite sweet ... "Yeah, we're used to people using fake names."

"I'm sure we can find you some single ladies to use your charm on, don't you worry."

"Nice to meet you, Gambit," she smiled, totally not minding the non-name-ness of it. She understood that. "... Um... do you have anything I can put on over this....?" she gestured at her underwear, "If we're gonna be here a while... I don't wanna get loose fur on the furniture...."

"Yup. I use Toxic. It's actually a stage name." Adam said happily. "You know what 'Gambit' means, right?"

"Introduce him to Cess when we get back? Or rather Ms. Kincaid?" Darren suggested, not without pity towards the other man.

"Y' t'ink I'd've chosen it if I didn't know, homme?" he replied with a cheeky smile at Adam. He disappeared for a moment into the bedroom, returning moments later with a mens oversized shirt, tossing it to Tigra. "Should do y' for de night."

"Or JP's roomie, if he swings that way."

"And really? What does it mean then?" Adam smirked.

"Thanks...." she smiled again and put the shirt on, shifting back out of her fur and drawing her knees up to her chest. Now she could sit how she liked without her tail spoiling it.

"Takin' a risk, homme. Puttin' y'self in danger t' try and get de one up on de other side. Story o' Gambit's life."

"You sir, just won my admiration and respect. I like you." Adam grinned, pointing with his cigarette before taking another drag.

"Well, Mr. Gambit, welcome to the area, sorry it's in shambles."

"Seconded," Greer said with a small grin.

Darren grinned, stubbing out his cigarette, "I get the feeling you're gonna fit riiiiiiight in."

Lorna offered her hand to shake. "And even if you decide to not join us at Xavier's we'll be here if you need any help...though I'll still probably keep asking if you're going to join us."

"No need for de Mister part, cherie. Jus' Gambit is fine," he replied, not one for formalities. A weird bunch... but not an entirely terrible one. He almost found himself quite liking their company. As for fitting in.. Remy rarely fit in anywhere.

He took up Lorna's hand, twisting not to shake it, but to kiss it instead. Handshakes with women just never felt right for him. "Wasn't aware I was invited," he commented.

"Oh, you're definitely welcome." Lorna nodded to him. She smirked at the kiss though.

"Suggest we turn in for de night, den," he said, slightly reluctantly turning towards Darren before adding "De happily engaged can take de bedroom. Gambit ain't feelin' sleep just yet. Gonna keep watch."

"Now that's what I call hospitality," Selene remarked, smirking first at Gambit, then at Darren. "Shall we?" She held out her hand while putting down the magazine.

Darren took the hand and winked at the group, "We'll try not to keep you guys up."

"I'm suddenly glad I'm not kitty-fied anymore...."

"...I don't sleep. Not much, and not in a strange place. I'll help keep watch - I can feel 'em coming a mile away anyway." His eyes suddenly flared a solid blood red, leaving little trails. "And smell 'em. Darren, I swear to god, I smell anything suspicious and I will taser." His eye twitched slightly.

"Suddenly glad I'm keepin' watch, petite.." Gambit sighed to Tigra with a roll of his eyes. "Kitchen, homme. Still got de window uncovered a bit dere. Good view. E'vryone else, take a chair, an' get some sleep."

"Is there food in the kitchen?" She asked hopefully.

"Sure thing, Gaaaaambit." Adam gave him a lazy salute. "I'll watch your back passage good." He grinned, then sidled into the kitchen, trailing cigarette smoke.

"Enough. Help y'self," he replied simply. No point in holding out on them, as he could always find more if he needed it. To Adam, he made no comment.

"Thanks!" She hopped up, looking down at the hem of the shirt.... it was low enough, and headed into the kitchen to forage.

Lorna claimed a seat, stretching out as best as she could and half closed her eyes. "Serious about the offer, has to be difficult being what we are on your own, especially now."

Remy leaned against the wall closest to the window, peering out through the slats in the wood he'd nailed there. "...Will t'ink about it. T' be honest wit' ya, cherie, I don't tend t' stick around anywhere too long.."

"Yeah, we've got those types as well." Lorna sounded half-amused, not able to stop the thought about their various travellers who never quite manage to leave.
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Scumfish »

It was night.

The beast lay dormant, its breathing slow, methodical in the darkness, the soft snow falling outside but here, it lay in its cucoon of warmth.

An ill-bought warmth, where it dreamed darkness, a faint shiver as it thought of pain, those it hated ground underneath its might.

In that pit of a mind, screams whirled, anger dashed against the shores of evil - but there was one corner of calm, bright in the maw of madness, a phoenix in the black night that was its cankered soul.

If not for that light, this world would have fallen years ago.

The beast wanted to rend-

"Biiiiiit!!" The light was switched on, and the tiny black rabbit was suddenly awake, sitting up, one ear flipping up to the owner-

Adam!! He was back - and not wounded this time. That bloody boy! Bit sat up on his hind legs, yawning and washing his face before lolloping over and sitting on the boy's knee, where he proceeded to yell at him.

What had he told Adam about going out in the snow with those things? They smelt bad, and now look what happened - a broken paw and more nightmares. Stupid boy. And then not coming back for a night? He hadn't been fed! He was hungry, and lost, and afraid, and...

And the scritches behind the ear and those chocolate drops immediately made up for it. Bit nuzzled Adam's hand.

"I need to go out again, Bit. Not for long, just...I need food and you're running out of nom. I'm sorry I upset you, 'kay? I won't be more than an hour."

Bit looked at him imploringly, twitching his nose, ears falling limp. But what if he didn't come back? No, Adam always came back, always, he was tenacious like that.

"Sleep on my pillow, Bit, I'll be back in no time." Adam stood, smiled at the curling up bunny, then turned out the light.

...In the shadows, the beast waited...warm, loved yet unloving and with the sweet taste of victo-

Who was he kidding. That was the chocolate drops.

puppygirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pigeon Fancier
Nightscrawlearth Character: :blink :warlock :morph :deadgirl

Post by puppygirl »

Adam was in the kitchen, surprise surprise, a bowl of cooling plain noodles forgotten on one side. An apparently holographic laptop was in front of him, blue headphones over his eyes and a fierce frown of concentration was on his face as he watched the screen. A notepad was in front of him, covered in gaedlig scribbles, pen in his mouth and a few textbooks scattered on the breakfast bar.

If one had to take a closer look, the title of the closest one was 'Human Anatomy'. On top of it, apparently sleeping, was the most adorable little tiny ball of bunny fluff, twitching a little as it dreamed.

"-And this is the kitchen, generally people just help themselves to food in here, if someone's got something they really don't want eaten they'll stick a post-it on it, so watch out for that, appart from that it's all good," Darren said as he lead Gambit into the room, giving Adam a slightly wary look as he did, "... oh, and don't even think of trying to pet that bunny, it's evil incarnate."

Having decided to at least try socialising a little more, Remy'd agreed to wandering the house with Darren again, ending up at the kitchen were a familiar face sat. "Bonjour," Remy said simply, looking at the bunny curiously, wondering if Darren was just messing with him. "...Looks harmless?" he said, peering at it.

Adam's blue eyes flicked up, and then the screen hurridly vanished, as did the notebook, though the pen was still being chewed. "Ohai!" He grinned, pulling the headphones down to rest around his neck. "Bit? Oh, he's harmless." He poked Bit with his pen, the bunny opening one eye, hissing at him and sitting up to wash his face. Bit regard Remy with a malevolent glare and promptly sat with his back to him.

"...Okay, so he's not sociable. But hey, neither am I. Watch the fridge, it's boobytrapped."

"Looks can be deciving," Darren warned ominously, giving the fridge the eye, not sure if he trusted Adam or not, "So irish, been doing your homework?" He leered slightly at him before pushing his fringe out of his face, the 'hawk was floppy today, "haven't been hitting the booze while you've been doing it have you?" He moved past the scrawny guy to investigate the cupboard.

Figuring it was best not to argue with them, Remy gave the rabbit a distrusting stare, before looking away. He felt better after some time alone, having showered and collected his thoughts.

Dressed more comfortably now, and with less people around, he found himself more at ease and less on-edge. "Never seen a school dat don' mind dere students drinkin'," he commented with a grin. But then... he hadn't seen many schools. Who knew, this could be the norm.

"Oh shut up, punkfuck." Adam said easily, sitting back and waving a gloved hand before stretching. "It's my business, unless you've been watching on your cameras, pervert. And my booze is in my nest, which you can't have, and if you're drinking I might join you. Maybe." He looked at his watch. Meds or drink? Mnn. He had his syringes.

"Weeeell...this school's a little different. So long as we hand in our work on time and pass grades, we're left alone. Daaaaaaaaarren, can you pass an aspargus over?" Bit was sitting up on his back legs, giving his master an imploring look.

"Hey, you just remember who build you that shiney computer there, as the Warlock giveth, the Warlock can taketh away y'know?" Darren said as he rummaged in a cupboard, "and I don't think it's so much they allow drinking as they've just bowed to the inevitable," Darren pulled out a four pack of Bud, "... warm beer, eww."

He placed it on the table and went to the fridge, grabing some aspargus, "Wanna be careful there buddy, they say it's an aphrodisiac."

"...I am not going to fuck my bunny, nor be fucked. Sick bastard.*

He chuckled, still not quite able to get how these people interacted with one another, but he figured he'd get the hang of it eventually. One thing was for sure, and that was the people here at Xavier's acted very different from his crowd back home.

Eying the 4-pack, Remy gave a shrug. "Warm beer better dan no beer, non?" he suggested, as right now he was more than happy to take any free alcohol sent his way. As much as Remy liked to think otherwise, he was not a hardened drinker. He made a mental note to take it easy.

"..." Adam rolled his eyes. "There's pernod in the bottom shelf of the plate cupboards, hidden behind some pans. Dunno who hid it, it's been there for a while, but you may as well drink it. Anything's better than warm beer." He sniffed. "...Not that I know, I mean...I haven't been drinking all that long."

Pernod? Darren peered down again, "... Score!" Darren yoinked it out, "This will make Jay a happy, happy cockatiel," he dropped it on the table and tossed Adam the asparagus.

Beer. Pernod. None of these things were regular in Gambit's personal cocktail menu, which consisted of... well, bourbon, bourbon, and bourbon. He'd like to say he could drink it all night long, but that'd be something of a lie.

Still, beggars couldn't be choosers, he supposed, and he'd take whatever was being poured. "Gotta say, likin' dis place o' yours so far. Lapdancin' bars in de basement, and free beer in de kitchen. Can see why y' stay."

"I have whiskey, vodka, some sort of weird purple concoction and most of the bar's contents from the club I DJ at down in my nest. We like booze here, and hey, I'm Irish, so I like it more." Adam grinned. "I'm here because I kinda have to be. I'm a foster kid. But gotta be honest, I like this place." He fed Bit the asparagus, the bunny holding it delicately in his paws.

"And Darren, you touch Plank and you'll be the third student I've stabbed. Not like I can do more than give you rabies but it'll make me feel better."

"And the chicks ... or in Adam's case dudes," Darren nodded, cracking open a beer, where was Bobby when you needed him man? "And dude, you couldn't even give me that," he passed the beer over to Gambit, "don't take this the wrong way man, but you ever been to school before?"

Shit. He should have know this question was coming. It wasn't something he hardly ever admitted to, especially to those he barely knew. "What make's y' ask dat, ami?" he queried, dodging the question casually as he took the beer, gulping down some of it's sickening warm contents.

"The eyes mostly," Darren took a sip, "most obvious mutants generally don't end up going to school or shit and who can blame them ... unless your eyes weren't always like that man?"

His gaze cast downwards momentarily, before quickly coming back up to stare back at Darren. He'd hidden his eyes for years before he felt confident enough to show them in public. Still, having it pointed out so suddenly had caught him a little off-guard. He scolded himself for being self-conscious.

"Non, dey been dere since Gambit popped int' de world," he admitted, seeing no real reason to lie about it. "Ain't done school like y'all have. Gambit learned his lessons... a little differently, comprenez-vous?"

"Weeeell...I done school a little differently too. I was normal before I hit twelve, hah." He scratched the back of his neck as Bit lolloped across the breakfast bar. "Nuns." He muttered ominously before he got up, ambling to the fridge and opening it, grabbing some cheese. "Darren, tell your bitch that he's been stealing my cheese, will you/"

Darren smiled, "Yeah, I'm one of the lucky ones that can hide it, but till I came here I actually hadn't been in school since I was thirteen, was just wondering dude, since it's a pretty normal story for us. Just sayin' that if you do decide to stick around this isn't like a normal school, they're used to it. Hell, we had one girl who couldn't even read or write a single word when she arrived."

At least he wasn't alone in that respect then. Jean-Luc had, at least, made sure he knew the basics. He could read, write, do basic math... but Remy's real skills all lay outside academia.

"Never been. Not a single day," he admitted, figuring that if it was the norm here, then there was little harm in revealing that much. "Didn't get taught nothin' til I was 'bout thirteen or so."

"This is like...the only school where sometimes the lessons can take place in your head." Adam drifted past serenely, before boosting himself up to sit on a counter, munching his cheese. "And hey, I think the day someone with a normal life turns up here is the day I run around naked." He paused a second. "...Shit, by Pratchettian law that's going to happen now, isn't it/"

"Funny, dat. Bein' a freak, but bein' de same as everyone else.." Gambit said, though not to anyone in particular. It was one of the things weirding him out most about the school. He was so used to know he was seperate and different from others, that to be one of the crowd...

It was foreign to him. It might have explained why he felt so different here, and why he'd reacted the way he did earlier.

"Yeah, you feel a bit fish outta water huh?" Darren nodded, "Look on the bright side, at least you're not a mutant with amnesia, that was me the first day I arrived here, couldn't even remember my own damn name."

"Soun's like a story," Remy said, with no intention of trying to outdo Darren's background with his own. That was a step too far. Admitting not having been to school was one thing, but Remy was not about to dive into his life story.

If they wanted to, then fine by him. It was always best to know as much as you could about those around you, after all. "No amnesia or not'ing for you when y' got here, den?" he asked, turning to Adam as he took another slug of beer.

"Iiii'm saying nothin' about my sob story, but no, I can remember everything - except when I take my drugs. Then I just sorta float around. Floaty-light." He giggled a little manically. "What I will say is I was a foster kid, so didn't really arrive here in the best frame of mind...but I don't quite go out of my way to stab anyone any more. Much."

Smart guy, Remy thought. Keeping your background safe was something few people bothered with nowadays. Still, Adam'd given enough away for Remy to get a feel for his past. Either way, he wasn't going to reciprocate with his own story.

"Everyt'ing works out in de end," he announced with a confident smile, taking another mouthful of beer. "De only way is up, look for de silver linin', de glass is half full.... all dat stuff."

"...what if the glass has cyanide in it?"

Which was perfectly cool with Darren, he wasn't gonna pry into other people's buisness, "Yeah, while they may be lax on the booze they're very anti usng your powers on other students, with psychics around, it could get real sticky real quick," Darren took another mouthful of beer, "And yeah, the bright side is free lodging, free food, free beer, can't argue with that evn if you have homework."

Psychics... They could try. Remy'd been fortunate enough to meet a telepath a year ago in his travels, and it came to transpire that, through some effect of his powers, his mind was well-protected against psychic intrusion.

He'd always liked this fact, as the idea of someone sauntering into his head and seeing whatever they pleased did not sit well with him. "So... dat's de deal, den? Y' wanna stay, y' gotta go t' classes and stuff?"

"Well, it is a school man, but yeah, pretty much, go to classes and try not to flunk too hard," Darren smiled.

Remy wasn't sure he liked that arrangement. Just what classes could a guy like him take, anyway? He was hardly going to fit in academically with the rest. Then again, why was he even considering this an option? He knew what he was like. He was a runner.

Guys like him didn't settle down, take classes, and join happy little mutant families. Guys like him took what they could, and moved on. "Can't see Gambit takin' history classes, mon ami."

Adam regarded the new kid seriously as he nommed his cheese, blue eyes bright. He sniffed a little, smirking slightly. "Well, that's your choice." He settled for. "No one's gonna lock the door on you here. Me, I skip classes I don't like." He finished the cheese, screwing the wrapper up in his good hand. "And history's boring anyway."

"So boring you didn't even notice the fact that the teacher for it left?" Darren raised an eyebrow at Adam.

Still, that implied he attended SOME classes, which was a great deal more than Remy'd attended in his entire life time. As good as this place seemed, he couldn't see himself settling down at a desk and being lectured.

"Why bother? After all, out dere, dey ain't gonna care what lessons y' took," he asked, wondering just what the point of all this was. Freaks like them were never going to get into jobs where they'd care about qualifications,so why waste time?

"Wel for one, some of the stuff is useful, and two, why should be be denyed the right to an education just 'cos we were born with an extra chromozone?" Darren drained his beer, "they haven't taken those rights away from us yet."

"Never set me back," Remy commented offhandedly, shrugging. "Waste o' time if y' can get by in life well enough wit'out it, Gambit t'inks." He liked it here. He couldn't deny that. Part of him was enjoying the company, and the comfort...

But could he really tie himself down to an environment like this? Just for free room and board? No, he'd need a better reason than that before he could be convinced to stay.

((tiiiiiiiiiiiiits ..... freshman tiiiiiiiiiiiiiits))

Adam tilted his head at Remy. "...And what if it's fun to learn? To feel normal for a while? I wasn't always a freak and I'd give a lot to be able to go back to being just a regular kid. I wanted to be a doctor, now I'm lucky if I can formulate a cohesive sentance." He shrugged. "And I skipped history, Darren, so obviously." He grinned insanely.

"Anyway, the education's pretty secondary here. Mostly it's the people that keep me. And the occasional chance to beat someone up. I mean, I earn enough as a DJ that I could leave if I want...but I like it here. Why leave somewhere I like being?" He regarded Bit. "...Plus there's sex, booze, drugs - in my case legal - and all the tin foil I can eat."

It was all alien to him, the desire to stay in one place. Say what they might, the whole thing just didn't mesh correctly in Remy's mind. Sure, they were a cool bunch, but worth losing his freedom over?

"Well, only de first day here, non? Who knows. Mebbe y' got a pretty face livin' in here dat Gambit'll stick around for," he said, a playful smirk.

Darren grinned, "Plenty of pretty faces, some of them are even single," he scrunched up his can and tossed it towards the trash.

Speaking of sex...Adam tilted his head at his 'Plank' and his books. Was that even possible? He blurred around the kitchen, packing everything up within seconds, Bit squeaking as he was suddenly on Adam's head. "...Okay, leaving you guys to your booze and your bro-time, I have a pretty face of my own to do bad things to." He gave them a lazy salute - and was gone.

"Never said dey needed t' be single," Remy pointed out with a wink, downing the rest of his can, mimicing Darren as he threw it into the trashcan. Adam was up and making his exit, Remy giving a brief wave, and watching him leave.

"Nice guy. Bit crazy, but nice."

"It's like wonderland, most everyone's mad here, and let me give you a protip, if you wanna try a bit of girlfriend poaching, check what her guy's powers are first, otherwise things might get ... messy, for you at least."

"Y' reckon dere be people here dat Gambit can't handle, homme? Y' ain't really seen him in action, yet. De other day? Firecrackers c'mpared t' what Gambit can do."

Darren put his head to one side, "Oh I can just tell life is gonna get really interesting with you around, dude, hope you decide to stick around."

"Will f' now. Ain't got no-where else t' be for a while," he said with a shrug, not sure why he bothered to imply that, at some point, he would have places to be. He just... didn't want to seem too lost and wandering, he supposed.

"So.. some'a dese guys, I get why dey here. Y' can look at dem and see dey ain't normal. But you... y' look human. Why ain't y' in a college wit' normal people?" he asked, curiously. If it weren't for his eyes, Gambit would integrate more with the norms... but as it stood, it just didn't work that way.

Darren smiled and went over to the cutlery draw, "You know the saying, 'If you cut me, do I not bleed?'" He pulled out a knife, held out his hand and without even flinching rammed the knife through his palm, "... False statement."

Even Remy couldn't hold back a reaction to that, flinching hard as the blade cut straight through skin and muscle. "Homme, dat is not somet'ing y' wanna do wit' peoples eatin' utensils.." he said, grimacing slightly.

"It's not like they can catch anything fro me," Darren pulled the knife out and showed Remy his hand as the skin ran back together seemlessly, "I'm not flesh and blood anymore like you guys, and I said that I'm a lucky one, I can shapeshift to hide it," his skin grew black and his features faded away and yellow lines started to glow on the surface of his body till Remy was left standing with a completly featureless humanoid in the kitchen, "I really look like this see," he said, his voice now had a dead, eletronic echo to it.

If Remy ever though his appearance was odd, he never would again quite so much having seen Darren's 'true' form. "Dat's... dat's somet'ing else, mon ami.." he said, unable to take his eyes from the amazing sight in front of him.

"Still, least y' can hide it, oui?"

The man nodded, "However makes it nigh-on impossible to live undercover with humans, they notice eventually," he shifted back to his human form, "and I'm not like you I guess, I like having somewhere to hang my hat ... not that I wear hats."

Still amazed by the sight, it took Gambit some time before he'd thought to speak again. "Guess we all de same, but all tres different, non?"

Darren took out a cigarette, "Yep, you're learning, kid."

Kid?? He'd overlook that, for now. "Listen... Gambit's gonna go take care of some stuff b'fore de party starts tonight, oui? I'll meet you and de others back down here when dat Jay fella's got his cookin' goin."

"Looking forwards too it, been ages since we've had a chance to just hang and do guy stuff here," Darren tossed Gambit a cigarette, "Watch out for zombies, 'kay?"

"Always am nowadays, homme. Never thought I'd see de day, but dere we go." He chuckled, catching the cigarette with a gracious nod, sliding it behind his ear. "Bring shotglasses later," he said, and instantly regretteed it as he turned to walk away. Why did he just say that...
Image NightscrawlearthImage

Pup's Blog -- Pup's Tumblr
"Why can’t people appreciate how much effort I put in to not becoming a serial killer?"