11/17 Issue: Back on the Radar

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

11/17 Issue: Back on the Radar

Post by Slarti »

Timelined the day after Dating for the Dark Side/Wearing Out

<Chris> Chris sighed as he walked up to her door. "You better be alive in there." He tapped on the door lightly a few times, then thought better of it and knocked harder.

<Carol> "Yeah, yeah! I heard ya the first time..." Carol called from her bathroom as she wrapped a towel around herself and started for the door. Couldn't even take a shower without something going to shit... she rolled her eyes then opened the door and blinked in surprise. "Oh... hey..."

<Chris> "So you are alive." Chris raised an eyebrow at her.

<Carol> "Of course I'm alive." She turned to walk back into her room, leaving the door open for him. Pushing a hand through her wet hair, she ventured to her closet to find something to wear, her dress and shoes from the night before still in a heap on the floor.

<Chris> Chris followed her into the room. "Hard to know that when it's been weeks. You missed all the new additions to the house." He sighed a little. "And your daughter enjoying them."

<Carol> "Yeah... There's been a lot going on here...."

<Chris> "Carol... there's always going to be a lot going on. You gotta make time for your kid." Chris found a spot to sit.

<Carol> "This was different..." she shook her head, dropping the towel to get dressed, "Threats were made..."

<Chris> "Really Carol. I get stronger when I'm hit and you are basically a living nuke. Our kid hit the genetic lottery."

<Carol> "No, not against her..." she sat down on her bed once she was dressed, "Rogue... she threatened to take my... me again..."

<Chris> "What....." Chris just stared at her.

<Carol> "It's... it's a long story... but for a while there I was kind of freaking out a lot... so I went to hide out with the Shaws... Bobby and Paige broke up... It's been rough...."

<Chris> "Still... what the absolute fuck." Chris ran a hand through his hair.

<Carol> "She seems to think this won't affect our working relationship but... she's all kinds of crazy so..." Carol shrugged, "I didn't want to worry you guys so I decided not to tell you and wait to see what happened..."

<Chris> "Uhmmm... Carol that's some super villain level shit. You can't just threaten to basically kill someone with your powers."

<Carol> "Yeah... I know... but what am I supposed to do? She's dating the president... and if he finds out about this from me I'm basically signing my own death warrant so...."

<Chris> "You could still call Carol. You're not alone. And aren't there like power inhibitors and stuff? I remember getting my ass handed to me a while back thanks to them."

<Carol> "Sure... but, again... President's girlfriend... and the crazy. I told Fury what's happened... so he's handling it and all the complicated stuff..." she sighed, "I wasn't in the best place for a while... I was scared..."

<Chris> Chris sighed and got up to give Carol a hug. "Alright, that at least is a good excuse. Let me know if I can help. Looks like I can save some money not donating to Stark's campaigns anymore." He laughed a little.

<Carol> She returned the hug and sighed heavily, "I'm okay... on the plus side... it scared me enough that I decided I should stop drinking so I can defend myself properly..."

<Chris> "Not drinking is a good plan. I'll let Greer know what's going on, but I'm sure you can count on our help. Just maybe try calling? Or face time?"

<Carol> "I didn't wanna, you know... intrude or whatever... You guys have a schedule and I didn't wanna fuck it up while everything was all crazy..."

<Chris> "You could just say you're afraid of Greer." Chris gave her a smirk. "Her tongue is sharper than her claws." He laughed a little. "Trust me, we'd all be happier with the interruption than no contact."

<Carol> "I'm not afraid of Greer... I'm afraid she'll say I can't visit Astrid anymore..." she got up to put her shoes and dress away. "I know I'm... a terrible parent... but I still want to be part of her life..."

<Chris> "Carol, neither of us want that. And the no more booze goes a LONG way in your favor. We both did the super hero thing. We get it."

<Carol> "Yeah except somehow my personal life seems to be more dangerous than the superheroing part..."

<Chris> "I mean if Rogue's going dark side...."

<Carol> "She's not... just where I'm concerned... I can handle her. It's okay..."

<Chris> "I mean.... that's still pretty dark side." Chris sighed. "But swing by for dinner or something whenever you can okay?"

<Carol> "Yeah... I will... I'm just trying to settle back into things... you know, without the drinking... It's not easy..."

<Chris> "Yeah, I remember giving up everything.... It was definitely a good idea after all the dumb shit I did."

<Carol> "Yeah... I gotta find all new ways to distract myself now..." she sighed, "I went on a date last night..."

<Chris> "Oh yeah? How'd that go? Did you get a gooood night kiss?" Chris laughed a little.

<Carol> "I just got home like a half hour ago..." she gave him a somewhat sheepish grin.

<Chris> Chris laughed a little harder. "You go girl."

<Carol> "I nearly chickened out... and then Jamie was being an ass so I nearly left... it was way less awkward once he and Jean disappeared to go have sex in their car..."

<Chris> "You had sex in their car?!?" Chris couldn't help but laugh hard at that. "Isn't his car a classic?"

<Carol> "Nooooo not me! Jamie and Jean. They were all horny and whatever so they fucked off... and then we figured why wait for them to come back... so we left and went to her place."

<Chris> "That's not as bad then. So you going to see her again or did you hit it and quit it?"

<Carol> Carol shrugged, "I don't know... she's not looking for anything serious and I don't think I really should be right now either... so I guess we'll see... and I kind of also already have another date with someone else... which I'm a tiny bit also freaking out about."

<Chris> "Wow, lady killer huh?" Chris gave her a little shove. "Just don't do anything I wouldn't do." He gave her a playful wink.

<Carol> "That is a really short list," she pointed out, shoving back, "And who said my next date was with a girl?"

<Chris> "Keeping your options open then huh? And hey.... you're not wrong."

<Carol> "I'm single, I can date..." she shrugged, "And what the hell else am I supposed to do with my evenings now?"

<Chris> "Hobbies are nice." Chris shrugged.

<Carol> "Really? Do I seem like the kind of person that has hobbies to you?"

<Chris> "Pffft you're not boring, so I'd hope you'd have some hobbies. Otherwise life is going to get really dull the older you get."

<Carol> "I don't have time for hobbies because of my job... and considering I still look the same as I did twenty years ago, I'm not sure getting older is really something I need to worry about.... so, no hobbies for me."

<Chris> "Have you looked at me?" Chris motioned to his body. "I'm starting to doubt I'll age."

<Carol> "Yeah but you already have hobbies... you got your fish. I got nothing. Even if there was something I was into before, I don't remember that so now there's just me and my job and maybe getting laid every now and then."

<Chris> "Sounds like you need to pick up new hobbies, or ya know become a sex worker?" He gave her a shrug. "You'd probably make out pretty good on Only Fans."

<Carol> Carol thumped him on the shoulder, "No. Noooooooo."

<Chris> "What you could wear a mask." He gave her a shove back.

<Carol> "No! I'm not doing that!" she returned the shove, "I don't have time for hobbies. Change the record."

<Chris> Chris laughed a little more. "Do too, you're just more stubborn than me."

<Carol> "I don't because I'd have to try a bunch of stuff and I don't even know where I'd start... and work is... well, I already told you how that's going."

<Chris> "You like Star Wars. Try Star Wars related stuff?"

<Carol> "Like what? I don't know what Star Wars related hobbies exist except watching the movies and I already do that."

<Chris> "Models, games, stories." Chris shrugged. "Do I need to start you on a new addiction with Star Wars legos?"

<Carol> "I have a cat now." Legos would not be safe. Speaking of the cat... she looked around, "I wonder where she is...."

<Chris> "So you're gonna be the crazy cat lady huh?" Chris smirked.

<Carol> "I don't know about that... apparently, the cat thinks I need supervision."

<Chris> "I mean.... is it wrong?" Chris stuck his tongue out at her.

<Carol> She pouted, "I'm totally able to supervise myself!"

<Chris> Chris waved a hand in front of his face. "Ugh do you smell that? It smells like.... bullshit."

<Carol> Carol gave him a harder shove to knock him off his seat. "Ass."

<Chris> "Ack!" Chris picked himself up off the ground. "Come on, you walked right into that one."

<Carol> "Nu-uh. The cat walked me into it," she protested.

<Chris> "Riiiiight, blame the defenseless cat." Chris poked her.

<Carol> "Chewie is not defenseless. She teleports."

<Chris> "She whats?" Chris blinked at her.

<Carol> "She's an alien cat-thing. She teleports. Jean read her mind."

<Chris> Chris just blinked at her. "I... have no words."

<Carol> "See? When I say my life is complicated, I'm not exaggerating!"

<Chris> "Just...what? I.... I'm glad I'm just a dad now..."

<Carol> "That look on your face? This is why I don't tell you things. It's better for your sanity that way."

<Chris> "You think I still have that?" Chris shook his head a little. "So we go from kleptomaniac demon babies to teleporting cats? I don't get the leap."

<Carol> "I don't think she came through the portal in the basement. I met her in a tree in New York and she followed me to Boston..."

<Chris> "Is crazy just attracted to us or is it something to do with the U.S.?"

<Carol> "Pretty sure it's just the effect of having so many mutants in one place. It's like a magnet for what-the-fuckery."

<Chris> "The what-the-fuckery is so heavy in the air you could drink it."

<Carol> "I wouldn't, it's likely to have some serious side effects."

<Chris> "Worse than anything else I've done in my life?" Chris raised an eyebrow at her.

<Carol> "For sure. The fuckery always gets worse."

<Chris> "Well shit, guess that's what's wrong with this country." Chris laughed.

<Carol> "That's why I always expect the worst," Carol nodded sagely, "Then I'm always prepared and never disappointed... because I like punching people."

<Chris> "I could make some kinky sex joke there, but I don't want to walk home as a Christmas tree."

<Carol> "Pfft, I expect that shit from you. That's why I don't even care about being naked in front of you. You don't even react anymore."

<Chris> "I mean, it's not like I haven't seen it before?" Chris shrugged. "Plus if I did anything without Greer's permission I'd have my nuts removed by claws and then again every time they grow back...."

<Carol> "Think she'd sell tickets?" Carol teased with a smirk.

<Chris> "Wow.... I feel so loved." He gave her the most fake pout he could.

<Carol> "You made me have to push a kid out of my body. You get no sympathy from me."

<Chris> "You can't play that card. It's so not fair."

<Carol> "It's totally fair since you're here to guilt me with that kid when I already do that enough myself."

<Chris> "I wasn't hear to guilt you. I was here to make sure you're alive."

<Chris> Chris stuck his tongue out at her. "The guilting is icing on the cake." He gave her a little hug.

<Carol> She sighed and returned the hug, "I'm indestructible, I'm always gonna be alive."

<Chris> "You say that, but nothing's certain in our lives and you know it." Chris hugged her tighter. "Please try to keep in touch."

<Carol> "If things settle down I'll do that... at least I'll remember easier now."

<Chris> "Not drinking does help with that. I mean for me it was drugs, but basically the same."

<Carol> "Also I'm doing a lot less sleeping so I have all this free time..."

<Chris> "Uhmm that doesn't sound like a good thing Carol. I mean I don't need to sleep but I still do."

<Carol> "Yeah, well... nightmares suck..." she shrugged, "I thought I was over it... but I guess not."

<Chris> "You seeing a therapist about them?" He sighed. "I am."

<Carol> Carol shook her head, "I'm not ready to talk about any of it..."

<Chris> "You should think about it Carol... It's helping me deal with the shit I did."

<Carol> She shook her head, "I'm pretty sure it's just this stuff with Rogue stirring up everything... it'll settle down... she just... shook me up."

<Chris> "Yeah, I get that. Just remember you're not alone Carol."

<Carol> "I know... maybe one day I'll figure out how to do that talking thing..."

<Chris> "Well you start by saying words, then you string them together into sentences, and then paragraphs and so on." Chris gave her a smirk.

<Carol> Carol gave him another thump on the shoulder for his sass, "You know what I mean, jerk!"

<Chris> "I do, but if I didn't mess with you, you'd think something was wrong."

<Carol> "I guess... but I'd probably just punch you harder so you're not missing much..."

<Chris> "Careful you know I'm a masochist." Chris gave her a smirk and wiggled his eyebrows at her.

<Carol> "Why do all the guys I know and regularly want to punch like being hit so much?" She pouted.

<Chris> "You attract all the crazies?" Chris shrugged and gave her a hug. "Plus we won't press charges if you hit us, maybe it's the universe looking out for you for once."

<Carol> "Or it's lulling me into a false sense of security," she returned the hug tightly, "Thanks for checking up on me."

<Chris> "Pffft or getting you ready for something REALLY kinky." Chris squeezed her back.

<Carol> She laughed, "That sounds like way more fun than it should." She sighed and let him go, "I'm sorry for making you guys worry... I'll come by at the weekend and say hi... of Greer says it's okay."

<Chris> "Hey, you know I know fun." Chris gave her a wink. "How else do you think I keep Greer purring. I'll talk to her about it and let you know, but I'm sure it'll be fine."

<Carol> "Thanks..." she sighed again, "I have to go to work now... you know, before the walls fall off or the roof explodes or something."

<Chris> "Good luck!" Chris gave her another squeeze before letting go. "And hey, remember I'm always here for you."

<Carol> "It's so cute that you think I'll ask for help," she smirked, "But keep reminding me anyway."

<Chris> "Oh I know better, but maybe eventually you'll cave."

<Carol> "I love that optimism... almost as much as I love coffee."

<Chris> "I can easily provide you with both." He gave her a smile. "I got your back."